Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group 01:50 - Jan 27 with 9254 viewsDavillin

I know that many of you do not think well of Theresa [edit: Thanks PhactOrri and other posters] May, but I truly hope that you will put aside as you read my post.

I watched her 32-minute speech to the U.S. Republican Congressional retreat in Philadelphia earlier today.

I recommend it to you.

She was very well received, with many interruptions for applause, and not a few for standing ovations, as she painted a word picture of the long-standing relationship between our two countries. And, without mentioning our previous president's having allowed that relationship to wither [at least], she made a strong appeal for a renewal of it [standing ovation].

Not only do I not believe the oft-repeated notion as completely false that the United States treats the United Kingdom as an inferior, I am offended that we are so demeaned. Both our countries, by the way.

In all my life, I have never heard a single word about our relationship except positive ones. I believe and know that she described the American view of that relationship with 100% accuracy.

Her speech and the congressmen and congresswomen are well worth your time and effort.

P.S., did your media point out that one of the very first acts of President Trump on his first day in the White House was to return the bust of Winston Churchill to its pre-Obama place of honor in the Oval Office?

URL to P.M. May's speech:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/01/26/british_pm_theresa_may_at_gop_
[Post edited 27 Jan 2017 16:14]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 03:13 - Jan 29 with 1075 viewsDavillin

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 23:51 - Jan 28 by Jack_Meoff

Davillin, with respect I completely disagree.

Don't ever think there's no alternative to the collective insanity we find ourselves in. Ever. We're selling ourselves so short in that regard.

Respectful in reply. Name one alternative.

From 21st Century reality, now, and not from fairy tales.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 05:17 - Jan 29 with 1069 viewsHumpty

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:08 - Jan 28 by Darran

She wasn't elected as any other PM usually is in a GE.

But I don't care I'm just saying.

I don't really know f*ck all about what everyone else is talking about.

But I'll have a go any way.

I'm just saying.

Darran. January 2017.
P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 10:53 - Jan 29 with 1036 viewsLohengrin

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 23:34 - Jan 28 by Ebo

No surprise there Loh - she's an out an out racist, birds of a feather and all that.

"Globalisation has brought more pain than happiness . . . the pendulum is swinging back. It is the nations’ time."

Allez Marine

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:53 - Jan 29 with 992 viewsnice_to_michu

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:57 - Jan 28 by Jack_Meoff

Couldn't agree more pal. Less esteem I couldn't hold the worthless vermin in. Yet we still toddle off up to vote for them every 4/5 years. What's the matter with us?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2017 23:00]

If all politicians are such worthless scum blah blah blah, what I should stopping you from running for election then? Or a member of your family or close friends that you trust?

I'm asking genuinely.

If democracy is such an illusion as you like to say, what is stopping you from doing your bit to begin a transition back to democracy? Although you might not win the first time round, if things are as bad as you say they are, surely it is worth you stepping up and fighting for "change"?
P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:58 - Jan 29 with 990 viewsEbo

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 10:53 - Jan 29 by Lohengrin

"Globalisation has brought more pain than happiness . . . the pendulum is swinging back. It is the nations’ time."

Allez Marine

Nationalism is a very slippery slope, we found that out in the 1930's.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:00 - Jan 29 with 989 viewsTheResurrection

The States are the most vile and corrupt country on earth. Not all its people can be tarnished with this brush but Danny Willet's brother, whilst generalising, was pretty much on the button.

The problem the rest of the world has, apart from the country itself, is we've just got to put up with you.

And Teresa May disgusts me.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:04 - Jan 29 with 981 viewsDarran

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 05:17 - Jan 29 by Humpty

I don't really know f*ck all about what everyone else is talking about.

But I'll have a go any way.

I'm just saying.

Darran. January 2017.

I have no idea why you keep following me around when you know exactly what I'm saying Hump,you're getting a bit stalkerish now like several other posters.

When the numb nuts keep saying she wasn't elected as Prine Minister what exactly do you think they are getting at?
I'll give you a clue the same people were saying the sand thing about Gordon Brown.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:13 - Jan 29 with 969 viewsnice_to_michu

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:04 - Jan 29 by Darran

I have no idea why you keep following me around when you know exactly what I'm saying Hump,you're getting a bit stalkerish now like several other posters.

When the numb nuts keep saying she wasn't elected as Prine Minister what exactly do you think they are getting at?
I'll give you a clue the same people were saying the sand thing about Gordon Brown.

Yep, nobody outside of oxfordshire elected David Cameron either.
Login to get fewer ads

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:28 - Jan 29 with 953 viewsEbo

She went over there to grovel and beg. Holding his hand was an act of abject desperation and earth shattering failure. I think right now she is sitting there feeling deeply ashamed and I note she has changed tack slightly after yesterday's events in the US.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:35 - Jan 29 with 947 viewsblueytheblue

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:28 - Jan 29 by Ebo

She went over there to grovel and beg. Holding his hand was an act of abject desperation and earth shattering failure. I think right now she is sitting there feeling deeply ashamed and I note she has changed tack slightly after yesterday's events in the US.

Didn't Obama ban Iraqi refugees for 6 months in 2011 - I believe that was in response to terrorists having posed as refugees?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:46 - Jan 29 with 936 viewsEbo

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:35 - Jan 29 by blueytheblue

Didn't Obama ban Iraqi refugees for 6 months in 2011 - I believe that was in response to terrorists having posed as refugees?

And here it is, the typical right winged strawman answer. A big difference though Bluey, Trump has banned anyone with links to these countries not just refugees. I read the account of a worker at Google who lives in America, has a wife and children there yet goes to visit family in Tehran and gets pulled off a plane on his return journey.

Americans killed by guns by their own people far out number those that are killed by refugees - yes all FIVE of them.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 14:38 - Jan 29 with 912 viewsJack_Meoff

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:53 - Jan 29 by nice_to_michu

If all politicians are such worthless scum blah blah blah, what I should stopping you from running for election then? Or a member of your family or close friends that you trust?

I'm asking genuinely.

If democracy is such an illusion as you like to say, what is stopping you from doing your bit to begin a transition back to democracy? Although you might not win the first time round, if things are as bad as you say they are, surely it is worth you stepping up and fighting for "change"?

That's a fair question pal. Certainly easy to blather over the internet with a glass or two of Pinot Grigio of a Saturday evening without even trying to do anything about it.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 14:52 - Jan 29 with 894 viewsblueytheblue

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:46 - Jan 29 by Ebo

And here it is, the typical right winged strawman answer. A big difference though Bluey, Trump has banned anyone with links to these countries not just refugees. I read the account of a worker at Google who lives in America, has a wife and children there yet goes to visit family in Tehran and gets pulled off a plane on his return journey.

Americans killed by guns by their own people far out number those that are killed by refugees - yes all FIVE of them.

Hardly a strawman answer despite your desire for it to be.

If you were inclined to reply about Obama's ban then you'd actually reply by giving the reason for it. Namely that terrorists had entered the US posing as refugees. Just because they hadn't shot anyone dead is hardly the point... not all terrorists are there to kill. Those there to facilitate, to get weapons, to plan et al are still terrorist.

I disagree with the ban. Reality is, refugee status does need to be verified. It is, for example, easy to claim police were persecuting you in some nations. Were they legitimately arrested for very good reasons and claiming persecution or were they genuinely persecuted?

I also find it interesting that there don't appear to be as many protests against the 16 nations who ban carriers of Israeli passports from entering their borders. That's a far better comparison to the Trump ban.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 14:53]

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 14:58 - Jan 29 with 877 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:46 - Jan 29 by Ebo

It's fine if you are from Saudi Arabia though.

Even though 15 of the c@nts like driving aeroplanes into buildings .

Facking Hell

Really

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 15:05 - Jan 29 with 865 viewsnice_to_michu

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 14:38 - Jan 29 by Jack_Meoff

That's a fair question pal. Certainly easy to blather over the internet with a glass or two of Pinot Grigio of a Saturday evening without even trying to do anything about it.

I'm certainly not suggesting that I am a bastion of activism myself either, but I also don't share your view that democracy doesn't exist anymore etc.

Still, cheers to the Pinot Grigio

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 16:05 - Jan 29 with 833 viewsJack_Meoff

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 15:05 - Jan 29 by nice_to_michu

I'm certainly not suggesting that I am a bastion of activism myself either, but I also don't share your view that democracy doesn't exist anymore etc.

Still, cheers to the Pinot Grigio

Chin chin pal, good health to you and yours.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 18:17 - Jan 29 with 802 viewsEbo

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 14:52 - Jan 29 by blueytheblue

Hardly a strawman answer despite your desire for it to be.

If you were inclined to reply about Obama's ban then you'd actually reply by giving the reason for it. Namely that terrorists had entered the US posing as refugees. Just because they hadn't shot anyone dead is hardly the point... not all terrorists are there to kill. Those there to facilitate, to get weapons, to plan et al are still terrorist.

I disagree with the ban. Reality is, refugee status does need to be verified. It is, for example, easy to claim police were persecuting you in some nations. Were they legitimately arrested for very good reasons and claiming persecution or were they genuinely persecuted?

I also find it interesting that there don't appear to be as many protests against the 16 nations who ban carriers of Israeli passports from entering their borders. That's a far better comparison to the Trump ban.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 14:53]

Israelis are stopped for good reason - spying is just one of them. A country never to be trusted.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 18:51 - Jan 29 with 781 viewsHighjack

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 18:17 - Jan 29 by Ebo

Israelis are stopped for good reason - spying is just one of them. A country never to be trusted.

Well that's a bit racist isn't it? All Israelis are untrustworthy? Shocking stuff.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:18 - Jan 29 with 754 viewsEbo

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 18:51 - Jan 29 by Highjack

Well that's a bit racist isn't it? All Israelis are untrustworthy? Shocking stuff.

They are the biggest racists on the planet and the biggest murderers. 2 reasons enough they don't want them in.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:19 - Jan 29 with 746 viewsDarran

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:18 - Jan 29 by Ebo

They are the biggest racists on the planet and the biggest murderers. 2 reasons enough they don't want them in.

Do you wish nasty things on them John?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:24 - Jan 29 with 1412 viewsblueytheblue

Yes, they are so horribly racist that, gasp Israeli Arabs actually have the vote. Indeed, Israeli Arabs have even been elected to the Knesset.

Such terrible racism...

Muppet.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:28 - Jan 29 with 1388 viewsKerouac

What a disgusting piece of filth you are...and you dare bandy the term "racist" around. Ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:32 - Jan 29 with 1375 viewsDarran

The thing with Ebo is that he's so deluded he can't see that the things he says are equally as bad as anything the far right could say.

He's a decent guy in real life though.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:40 - Jan 29 with 1364 viewsphact0rri

My two pence, is that the speech itself sounded like a bit of back scratching, and how she threw the former administrations of both countries under the bus, despite a relationship that hasn't changed much since I've been alive (and I imagine most on these forums)

I will say, that she, like the french coming out against Trumps vocalations on torture and refugee bans-- was in fact great to hear. I hope these aren't hollow words and that a good bit of the nations follow through. the US should never engage in torture for any reason. And banning people from travel to the US because their country is at war is horror show a move.

For me-- this Trump leading bit-- makes me feel like I'm living in a country taken over by a super villian. I've read this same story in scifi novels and comics for ages. I never thought I'd be part of this trope ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainWorld ) but here we are. Short, may it last.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:42 - Jan 29 with 1360 viewsLohengrin

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:58 - Jan 29 by Ebo

Nationalism is a very slippery slope, we found that out in the 1930's.

What is Nationalism if not faith in the potential and resilence of your own people? It is the most natural and healthy of instinctive, moral beliefs.

It's for those who practice unnatural politics to justify their actions, primarily to themselves. I dare say conscience demands they do it over and over and over as the shadow of self-knowlege and guilt spreads and darkens like a thunderhead.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024