Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR - Castleton 10:59 - Jan 13 with 6566 viewsDalenet

Every time I drive through Castleton I can't help but remember that it used to look more attractive than it does today. With no offence to anybody living there but it looks like it is falling down. People deserve better and the private sector is unlikely to be able to fix it

Is it time for the council to look for a major rebuild of the roads and buildings alongside Manchester road from Nixon Street right through to the Ford garage. It would be a big job, people would need to be protected as would some of the great businesses such as Smiths. An attractively designed modern village setting would then bring more investment. After the town centre redevelopment is finished this must be the next priority. Any views?
NFR - Castleton on 11:26 - Jan 13 with 5407 viewselectricblue

We drove up manchester rd through castleton the other day and i remarked to the missus how it is looking in need of money spending on the higb street etc..
I lived on Partington Street for a couple of years as a youngster and i used to help the two elderly sizters who owned the fruit n veg shop..

How times have changed...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

NFR - Castleton on 11:29 - Jan 13 with 5395 viewsmightydale

Mmmmmmmmmm bud Sunday 99p

Anyone else remember them days

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

NFR - Castleton on 11:38 - Jan 13 with 5378 viewsjonahwhereru

Although not a native of Rochdale I used to spend every childhood holiday on the Chesham Avenue estate, what luxury.

Quite a few years ago I walked back up there and was saddened by what I saw it reeked of poverty. Last year I did the same and the house I used to stay in had the front concreted over and a nice 4x4 on the drive, and generally the area looked a little more prosperous. All the old pubs had closed, Bridge Inn, Commercial, all except the Blue Pitt’s (have the Midland down as a new one); but again a nice new bar has opened. So I agree there is some self regeneration going on, but it could do with a centralised push.

As long as they can retain some of the old character of the place, like the Bridge Inn building on the corner. Here’s hoping.
NFR - Castleton on 12:22 - Jan 13 with 5276 viewsYouTubeDale

I was born in Castleton, mentioned in the Domesday Book as the site of Rochdale Castle. I did paper rounds for Stan Bonnett from being 12 till 18, 7 days a week on my Chopper bike, Chesham Avenue to Marland. Castleton was thriving with every pub and local business entering a float for the annual carnival parade, hundreds of people lined the streets. On a Sunday night the pub crawls were awash with folk. We were having the time of our lives...then the mills started closing, Whipps went under, Woolworths went under, Tesco took trade off the many butchers and grocers in the village and the place has gone into a steady downward spiral.
Today, I often drive from Slattocks to Tesco and the road is full of potholes. That is the first priority. The general attitude of government for regeneration of villages within the borough is one of liassez faire, especially as local government is skint. But local government should be pulling out all the stops to attract businesses to the town in order to create wealth which could start to revitalise places such as Castleton. It’s not an easy task, I know.

We will never see the halcyon days of Cassy again, in my opinion, but we shouldn’t stop trying to make things “better”.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

NFR - Castleton on 14:33 - Jan 13 with 5104 viewsKenBoon

No idea how far back you are all going, but in the late 80s and 90s it was a f**king tip. I went through there the other month and tbh looks much the same but with more takeaways. At least there's an ATM now.
NFR - Castleton on 15:14 - Jan 13 with 5051 viewsjonahwhereru

Dalenet can we keep the house on the corner of Manchester Rd and Nixon St, my dad was born in that one!

I’ll mention it to the planners if it ever happens!
NFR - Castleton on 15:35 - Jan 13 with 5018 viewspioneer

Thought the same myself as I went to the mayfield game on Saturday. It always had a village feel about it when i was a kid/teenager, very self contained. Now you need to pull the blinds as you go through. Maybe there is hope, with a very attracive housing estate off nixon street where the cricket ground used to be. All the roads have names with cricket themes.
NFR - Castleton on 15:45 - Jan 13 with 5006 viewsDerekHall5

I'm sure I've read that the East Lancashire Railway from Bury is looking to extend to Castleton. The council should work with this and give visitors a reason to get off the train in Castleton and spend their money there, helping the local economy.
Login to get fewer ads

NFR - Castleton on 16:44 - Jan 13 with 4920 viewsdeeplishblue

I heard on Friday that planning permission has been given to build 200 new properties at the site of the old Dunlop mill on Royle Barn road. Perhaps this might kick off some regeneration for castleton.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

NFR - Castleton on 17:31 - Jan 13 with 4861 viewsoff2div1

When are they rebuilding the old coop.Been boarded up 40 years
NFR - Castleton on 18:22 - Jan 13 with 4802 viewsmingthemerciless

NFR - Castleton on 15:14 - Jan 13 by jonahwhereru

Dalenet can we keep the house on the corner of Manchester Rd and Nixon St, my dad was born in that one!

I’ll mention it to the planners if it ever happens!

Didn't Steve Mellodew used to live in that row of terraced houses on Nixon St ?
NFR - Castleton on 18:33 - Jan 13 with 4783 viewsKenBoon

NFR - Castleton on 17:31 - Jan 13 by off2div1

When are they rebuilding the old coop.Been boarded up 40 years

Apparently the entire building was falling down so they knocked it down. My main memories of that place is Azad Video. I remember someone who worked there saying you had to be careful walking upstairs because you might fall through the ceiling.
NFR - Castleton on 18:34 - Jan 13 with 4781 viewssince58

NFR - Castleton on 16:44 - Jan 13 by deeplishblue

I heard on Friday that planning permission has been given to build 200 new properties at the site of the old Dunlop mill on Royle Barn road. Perhaps this might kick off some regeneration for castleton.

Great news ,but what about the infrastructure.This will most probabably add another
200/300 cars to the area.
NFR - Castleton on 18:46 - Jan 13 with 4750 viewsYouTubeDale

Bring back all the roundabouts.That will solve the problem.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

NFR - Castleton on 19:59 - Jan 13 with 4664 viewspioneer

NFR - Castleton on 15:45 - Jan 13 by DerekHall5

I'm sure I've read that the East Lancashire Railway from Bury is looking to extend to Castleton. The council should work with this and give visitors a reason to get off the train in Castleton and spend their money there, helping the local economy.

Nothing to spend money on there at present. it’s a vicious circle... people bring business but business brings people.
NFR - Castleton on 20:14 - Jan 13 with 4633 viewsKenBoon

Rochdale council were doing a report into it about 8 years ago. I think the conclusion was "yes this would be good, but, money". I'm no expert on the east Lancashire railway but I think the single line, junction and road crossing between Castleton and Heywood currently works. The issue would be the need to build a seperate platform for it. You'd think joining it to the national network would be a popular move and one that'd generate funding from the private sector.
NFR - Castleton on 20:31 - Jan 13 with 4599 viewsSuddenLad

Only last week I read that the old Castleton sidings was earmarked for a development of new homes. I think the number quoted was 182.

Edit: From the Manchester Evening News:

Castleton Sidings
This site would deliver 125 high-quality homes, all built on the eastern side of the site to keep encroachment on to the green belt to a minimum.

There will also a temporary rail halt and parking to allow the extension of the East Lancashire Railway (ELR) from Heywood to Castleton, and potentially a tram-train trial project.

Meanwhile, the western half of site will be redeveloped as an area of open space or a nature conservation area, and kept within the green belt.

The proposals also include road improvements and a new cycleway.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2019 20:48]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

NFR - Castleton on 21:11 - Jan 13 with 4528 views49thseason

New houses proposed on old Dunlop site:
https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/125341/former-du

That lot will make the Tesco traffic lights interesting in the mornings and evenings. You wonder how many car parking spaces they are intending to create, I doubt it will be a minimum 2 per property, and where will their kids go to school and which lucky doctors will they all register at? Because it won't be the property developers who will be paying the infrastructure costs it will be council taxpayers who are already in the firing line for another 5%+ increase this year by the way. No wonder the town centre of Castleton is dead, the whole town is being wrung dry.
NFR - Castleton on 22:29 - Jan 13 with 4439 viewsAndy_TOPO

NFR - Castleton on 11:38 - Jan 13 by jonahwhereru

Although not a native of Rochdale I used to spend every childhood holiday on the Chesham Avenue estate, what luxury.

Quite a few years ago I walked back up there and was saddened by what I saw it reeked of poverty. Last year I did the same and the house I used to stay in had the front concreted over and a nice 4x4 on the drive, and generally the area looked a little more prosperous. All the old pubs had closed, Bridge Inn, Commercial, all except the Blue Pitt’s (have the Midland down as a new one); but again a nice new bar has opened. So I agree there is some self regeneration going on, but it could do with a centralised push.

As long as they can retain some of the old character of the place, like the Bridge Inn building on the corner. Here’s hoping.

The Commercial is open and doing well, The Junction recently re-opened, incorporating a Tapas outlet, which is getting mixed reviews.

The ''nice new bar" is The Old Post Office Ale House, which we opened in Feb 2016 in the old Post Office opposite Zeera's.

There have been other new businesses opened since and there are few properties boarded up or closed now.

Casleton has certainly improved in the last two years, but we still have a long way to go.
NFR - Castleton on 03:03 - Jan 14 with 4310 viewsdownunder

NFR - Castleton on 18:22 - Jan 13 by mingthemerciless

Didn't Steve Mellodew used to live in that row of terraced houses on Nixon St ?

I visited his dad, Leslie Melledew, who was my Dads uncle, in one of the houses on Manchester Road. Either number 602 or very close to that. Presume Steve lived there.
Edit. This would be about 57 years ago.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2019 21:42]
NFR - Castleton on 09:21 - Jan 14 with 4138 viewsoff2div1

Not 602. My ex wife's mother lives there.
NFR - Castleton on 14:23 - Jan 14 with 4004 viewselectricblue

Some of the rail track routes between bury n heywood have been used as land fill and now land scaped over.....
So unless there is another route planned as this is a no go...

The idea is good though.....

NFR - Castleton on 16:42 - Jan 14 with 3908 viewsEllDale

I was sure that the ELR already ran through to Heywood and that it was just a matter of extending the service through to Castleton which is a relatively short distance.

I worked at both Arrow Mill and Woollies in the 1980's and had some good drinks in Cassie.
The Top House used to be buzzing on Sunday dinnertimes for example.
The loss of the workforce from those places plus Whipps devastated the local economy.
I know that they've built houses on the site of Whipps but the people who live there aren't forced to spend in the village. If they're young families it's more than likely to be a big supermarket shop somewhere else.
NFR - Castleton on 17:50 - Jan 14 with 3850 viewselectricblue

I had a look on google maps earlier and the sections filled are an spur that runs to the left away from the main line so why not try to do a castleton run surely there aint much work to be carried out...

NFR - Castleton on 22:31 - Jan 14 with 3698 viewsNinco

NFR - Castleton on 11:26 - Jan 13 by electricblue

We drove up manchester rd through castleton the other day and i remarked to the missus how it is looking in need of money spending on the higb street etc..
I lived on Partington Street for a couple of years as a youngster and i used to help the two elderly sizters who owned the fruit n veg shop..

How times have changed...

I walked down Partington Street the other day and was surprised at how many different designs of houses there were. Did they keep extending it or something?
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024