Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? 13:13 - May 19 with 3209 viewsdickythorpe

Just putting it out there.

Personally I'd support Swansea whatever league we were in, but I'd expect effort to improve.

But the higher we have climbed over the last 12 years or so it seems a very different game from when I was first introduced to it.

Edit- did anyone really enjoy the Cup Final yesterday?
(Apart from man city fans)
[Post edited 19 May 2019 13:14]
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 13:16 - May 19 with 2441 viewsThrasher6

I agree with your sentiments Dicky......I'm getting turned off by a lot of things in football at the moment...especially the Premiership.

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 13:26 - May 19 with 2399 viewsGreekSwan

Stopped watching it on TV a while back
Hate the premiership and all that goes with it
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 13:28 - May 19 with 2390 viewsmonmouth

Just read that secret footballer book, and if you haven't had a gutsful of 'the beautiful game' yet, you will have after that.

If we did what poor old Daps said and transferred Ayew for zero even if we could find someone that would pay his ridiculous wages, we would still have to pay him a 'loyalty bonus' and a portion of his contract even though he is basically refusing to play for us. It's because he hasn't put in a transfer request. Bosman and foreign money men and greedy leeches have pretty much made football unrecognisable from when I fell in love with it. I'm sure some would argue for the better, but not me.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 15:15 - May 19 with 2305 viewsSmellyplumz

Fuking rigged and poisonous

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 15:32 - May 19 with 2262 viewsjack2jack

Money has ruined the beautiful game, pure and simple.
I'm talking greed here nothing else.
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 15:37 - May 19 with 2234 viewsmagicdaps10

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 13:28 - May 19 by monmouth

Just read that secret footballer book, and if you haven't had a gutsful of 'the beautiful game' yet, you will have after that.

If we did what poor old Daps said and transferred Ayew for zero even if we could find someone that would pay his ridiculous wages, we would still have to pay him a 'loyalty bonus' and a portion of his contract even though he is basically refusing to play for us. It's because he hasn't put in a transfer request. Bosman and foreign money men and greedy leeches have pretty much made football unrecognisable from when I fell in love with it. I'm sure some would argue for the better, but not me.

He did put in a transfer request, he also refused to turn up for training.

In response to the OP, yes, I think most fans outside the top 6 premiership clubs are getting disillusioned.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 15:37 - May 19 with 2235 viewsswan65split

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 15:32 - May 19 by jack2jack

Money has ruined the beautiful game, pure and simple.
I'm talking greed here nothing else.

What the post says above, money has ruined everything, the need for success and fear of failure, by both teams and players doesnt help, the increase in diving feigning injury to gain an advantage, or stop play at certain periods is sickening.
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:02 - May 19 with 2184 viewsTreforys_Jack

Ask Norwich or Sheffield United fans, chances are you'll have a different response, for 12mths or so anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:23 - May 19 with 2148 viewsdickythorpe

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:02 - May 19 by Treforys_Jack

Ask Norwich or Sheffield United fans, chances are you'll have a different response, for 12mths or so anyway.

The lyrics of Depeche Mode's "Get the balance right" strike a chord......."When you reach the top get ready for the drop prepare yourself to fall, it's almost predictable"
[Post edited 19 May 2019 16:23]
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:24 - May 19 with 2129 viewsdickythorpe

Get the Balance Right https://g.co/kgs/kceAzb
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:39 - May 19 with 2074 viewsmonmouth

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 15:37 - May 19 by magicdaps10

He did put in a transfer request, he also refused to turn up for training.

In response to the OP, yes, I think most fans outside the top 6 premiership clubs are getting disillusioned.

Transfer request? Source?

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:42 - May 19 with 2057 viewsmagicdaps10

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:39 - May 19 by monmouth

Transfer request? Source?

You dont think he wanted to leave?

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:44 - May 19 with 2048 viewsPozuelosSideys

We all get emotionally invested. Think the trick is to just do so on a Saturday afternoon/Tuesday night and then walk away from teh rest of the noise. Suppose the plastics have more sense than the regular hardcore football fan.

Can count the amount of games/MOTD etc i have watched in the least 3 years on my fingers. Have literally zero interest in the rest of the clubs.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:46 - May 19 with 2040 viewsmonmouth

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:42 - May 19 by magicdaps10

Did he put in a written transfer request? If not, nothing else matters. He gets his loyalty bonus if we sell him or give him away. I was talking about Andre Ayew by the way, as I think his poxy shithead brother will have a transfer value this summer, but the same applies to him.

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 17:16 - May 19 with 1987 viewsKilkennyjack

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 13:28 - May 19 by monmouth

Big nose does not get a free pass in all this mind.... why did our small club enter into such contracts ? Relegation always had to be a serious consideration. Looks like it was more or less ignored..., and then it happened....

Beware of the Risen People

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 17:21 - May 19 with 1967 viewscentrestandswan

Perhaps we should all support our local district league team still football without the money and the hype. Saying that the way the Swans are going in the next few years .......

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 17:22 - May 19 with 1967 viewsCooperman

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 17:16 - May 19 by Kilkennyjack

Big nose does not get a free pass in all this mind.... why did our small club enter into such contracts ? Relegation always had to be a serious consideration. Looks like it was more or less ignored..., and then it happened....

This is because we were desperate. There wasn’t a long queue of players willing to join us at the bottom of the league; instead there was a short queue of names previously listed on Huw’s clipboard. Even then it was probably a case of the player massively having the upper hand in the contract negotiations. We took a huge gamble and it failed to deliver.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 17:24 - May 19 with 1962 viewslonglostjack

A positive change would be legislation guaranteeing all League clubs Supporters Trusts 25% of voting rights. That would go some way to limiting unscrupulous owners scope for financial shenanigans.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 19:00 - May 19 with 1901 viewsswanforthemoney

Theres still enough laughs, exasperation, and excitement to drag myself to the Liberty every couple of weeks or so. Even with Potter on his way, its just the way football has always been. Its a reassuring throwback that we've gone from sacking managers to having them knicked from us, when was the last time that happened ? Sousa?. Onward and upward.
Not having Sky, or BT, or whatever Ive lost touch with whats going on in European competitions, just as I did with cricket when it virtually disappeared from terrestrial TV.
Cup Final, didn't watch it. It was always going to be a walkover.

I stand in the North Stand

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 20:22 - May 19 with 1826 views3swan

Yes at the top end of football, the money involved is obscene. It all started with the new branding for the leagues and Sky overkill.
I will support the Swans whatever league we are in, but when more and more non football people became involved football changed.
I’ve been lucky to see the club rise from the ashes to the top twice, and met some good fans along the way.
Do I want the club back in the Premier, yes as I want my club to be with the best.
Do I want all the circus that comes with it no.
Being back in the Premier and competing in an entertaining way outside the top 6 would be ideal, but as already been posted it slowly turns into the fear of relegation.
Our current situation seems to put us a million miles away from this, we need a complete overhaul, and there is no feel good factor at the moment.
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 20:31 - May 19 with 1791 viewsNotLoyal

I've said for years on here that these players, managers etc are not legends, they are not gods and they deserve nothing whatsoever other than our superb club shirt to wear for which they are paid far too much money. We have spent years making nobody's millionaires and the majority give absolutely nothing back to the city or community.

Disillusioned ? I couldn't give a fúck about any of them, but when my club hurts I do get angry. Shame the last two years have been spent doing fck all.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 20:45 - May 19 with 1757 viewsJonathans_coat

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 15:15 - May 19 by Smellyplumz

Fuking rigged and poisonous

There was a reason that Swansea voted against the Financial Fair Play rules. It basically guarantees no one can challenge the current “big clubs”.

The premier league is basically 2 leagues. The top 6 fighting for the title and champions league spots, then everyone else fighting relegation.

I used to be dead against the oft proposed European “super league” for all of Europe’s giant clubs, but now I’m coming round the idea that all the super rich sugar daddy owned clubs that have effectively ruined football can sod off into their own bulls**t prima-donna league, and let everyone else get on with the real football.
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 20:48 - May 19 with 1742 viewsswan65split

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 20:22 - May 19 by 3swan

Yes at the top end of football, the money involved is obscene. It all started with the new branding for the leagues and Sky overkill.
I will support the Swans whatever league we are in, but when more and more non football people became involved football changed.
I’ve been lucky to see the club rise from the ashes to the top twice, and met some good fans along the way.
Do I want the club back in the Premier, yes as I want my club to be with the best.
Do I want all the circus that comes with it no.
Being back in the Premier and competing in an entertaining way outside the top 6 would be ideal, but as already been posted it slowly turns into the fear of relegation.
Our current situation seems to put us a million miles away from this, we need a complete overhaul, and there is no feel good factor at the moment.

Ditto,
Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 21:12 - May 19 with 1691 viewsFlashberryjack

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 16:42 - May 19 by magicdaps10

Wanting to leave and actually putting in a transfer request are two very different things.

I suspect money would have something to do with the difference.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Anyone disillusioned with the modern game? on 21:15 - May 19 with 1684 viewsVincent_Vega

Um yeah.

Money has spoilt it to the core. Sky overhype the premier like its some super league or the nfl and it’s just not. You have to spend an extortionate amount to watch it and it’s not worth it. It’s worse now that BT have champs league so that’s double the subscription to watch top level football.
I grew up watching scorio and champs league on ITV and I remember playing footy pretending I’m maldini or gasgoine. Without the latest FIFA game most kids won’t know most of the teams that play let alone the players. The very top has so much bribery and corruption it makes a 3rd world African state blush. Take FFP. Purely designed to keep the elite, elite. This Euro super league is another money making exercise and it is coming, again to keep the rich and powerful at the top table and phuck the rest.

Then there’s actually going to the games. Everything’s so overpriced it’s just designed to rip you off. The local constabulary and stewards treat you like scum but don’t worry, your monies good enough. It’s only going to get worse for travelling swans fans as I can’t see the jack army discount happening next season and as the championship has no price cap so yippee.

Then we come to the players/managers. There is NO loyalty at all. They play up to the media which the gullible swallow gleefully and then when the grass seems greener, off they pop. I can deal with players and managers moving on but don’t give it the big one like you’re born in plasmarl and both father and uncle captained the club then hightail it as soon as the wind changes. Players I just can’t relate to. They’re conditioned thoroughbreds. Molly coddled from a very young age and earning more money by the time they’re twenty then I’ll earn by the time I’m 50.

Roy Keane (as much of a cockwomble as he is) is right with what he’s saying about Rashford and Linegard. Saying all that Saturday afternoons at the Liberty is my time with dad and well he isn’t going to be around forever so I’m enjoying it while he still can go.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024