Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
keeping the season alive 06:27 - Apr 2 with 7221 viewsfrenzied

My best effort would be to complete this season even if this meant nov end.

Then break
start jan ..short season play each team only once.
Relegated teams are placed at top of league ..promoted teams at bottom..rest of table stays where it ended.
The random draw to determine which teams yo play at home or away..but done so that you play as many home games against sides in top half as those in bottom..altho numbers are odd..ie 23 games.

Points system could stay as is or go to 6 points for a win ..2 for a draw
keeping the season alive on 13:54 - Apr 3 with 2692 viewsnordenblue

keeping the season alive on 13:43 - Apr 3 by KenBoon

Since players are paid by private companies and on PAYE, if they take a pay cut then doesn't that generate less income tax and therefore cost the state? I don't understand the thinking here. I'd want them to still be paying their tax. I've never quite liked how footballers (generally from working class families and tax paying) are the first to get the overpaid abuse. Top players and merchandise sellers like Ronaldo are probably underpaid. I read somewhere that Ronaldo had earned Juventus their investment back in just a few months and that's before his benefit to the team.

Footballers especially top level will ALWAYS be the first to get the overpaid abuse, as they are in EVERY sense grossly overpaid to nearly every other profession,even more so considering the amount of effort required to claim said wage.

As a business perspective yes they are worth their brass to the clubs as previously mentioned,but fook me you'd struggle to name many easier ways to earn over £200k every week of your career,its absolutely obscene however you dress it up.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 13:55]
keeping the season alive on 14:25 - Apr 3 with 2654 viewsrichfoad32

keeping the season alive on 13:54 - Apr 3 by nordenblue

Footballers especially top level will ALWAYS be the first to get the overpaid abuse, as they are in EVERY sense grossly overpaid to nearly every other profession,even more so considering the amount of effort required to claim said wage.

As a business perspective yes they are worth their brass to the clubs as previously mentioned,but fook me you'd struggle to name many easier ways to earn over £200k every week of your career,its absolutely obscene however you dress it up.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 13:55]

People who are so sickened by what footballers earn need to stop contributing towards it then. Start cancelling their Sky Sports and BT Sports subscriptions and letting themselves get fleeced for tickets and merchandise. Only if people start to turn their backs on the game, will anything change. I have no interest in the endless hype of the Premier League and the Champions League is even worse, just a cash cow to make the rich teams richer.

But I don't blame the players one bit. They're at the top of their profession and if the going rate for that is £300K a week and somebody is stupid enough to pay them that, then good luck to them. I wouldn't turn it down, would you?
keeping the season alive on 14:35 - Apr 3 with 2631 viewsnordenblue

keeping the season alive on 14:25 - Apr 3 by richfoad32

People who are so sickened by what footballers earn need to stop contributing towards it then. Start cancelling their Sky Sports and BT Sports subscriptions and letting themselves get fleeced for tickets and merchandise. Only if people start to turn their backs on the game, will anything change. I have no interest in the endless hype of the Premier League and the Champions League is even worse, just a cash cow to make the rich teams richer.

But I don't blame the players one bit. They're at the top of their profession and if the going rate for that is £300K a week and somebody is stupid enough to pay them that, then good luck to them. I wouldn't turn it down, would you?

I've never had sky or any other cash cow they roll out for you to subscribe to and never will for all them reasons, as a business model while folk keep turning up they will keep charging the prices etc absolutely.

What I have a big problem with is how many of these bell ends at the top of the game have no sense of reality and are that far up their own arseholes to have any drop of humility.

It's like these multi millionaires dance around for children in need asking the folk with not much brass to throw some money at a charity,jokers
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 14:45]
keeping the season alive on 14:44 - Apr 3 with 2617 viewsrichfoad32

keeping the season alive on 14:35 - Apr 3 by nordenblue

I've never had sky or any other cash cow they roll out for you to subscribe to and never will for all them reasons, as a business model while folk keep turning up they will keep charging the prices etc absolutely.

What I have a big problem with is how many of these bell ends at the top of the game have no sense of reality and are that far up their own arseholes to have any drop of humility.

It's like these multi millionaires dance around for children in need asking the folk with not much brass to throw some money at a charity,jokers
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 14:45]

Yup. Maybe if like you and I, enough people decide they're tired of shelling out £40 a month (or whatever the going rate is) to watch these preening bell ends, then the bubble will burst on the ridiculous wages. We can but hope.
keeping the season alive on 14:49 - Apr 3 with 2607 viewsnordenblue

keeping the season alive on 14:44 - Apr 3 by richfoad32

Yup. Maybe if like you and I, enough people decide they're tired of shelling out £40 a month (or whatever the going rate is) to watch these preening bell ends, then the bubble will burst on the ridiculous wages. We can but hope.

I hope so,but dont count on it. A friend of mine pays something like £90 a month out to sky, it's like a mortgage so some folk, I just dont spend anywhere near enough time watching tele to justify anything like that, and if I did have that much time I'd be doing something more exciting than sat on my arse watching the tele anyway.
keeping the season alive on 16:52 - Apr 3 with 2545 viewsKenBoon

This is a decent summary of what some players are doing off their own backs and their tax contribution.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-latest-n
keeping the season alive on 17:09 - Apr 3 with 2525 viewselectricblue

After todays announcement of a possible 30% wage cut to the prem players and the money handed to the efl i think its fair to say that there is a bigger chance of this season ending......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

keeping the season alive on 22:22 - Apr 3 with 2422 viewsrochdaleriddler

keeping the season alive on 14:44 - Apr 3 by richfoad32

Whilst agreeing about the obscenity that is ridiculous wages, whether that is footballers or bankers. If the premier league footy deals collapse , the upshot will be catastrophic for football at all levels, as tv money evaporates for all clubs

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

keeping the season alive on 00:05 - Apr 4 with 2381 viewskiwidale

keeping the season alive on 22:22 - Apr 3 by rochdaleriddler

Whilst agreeing about the obscenity that is ridiculous wages, whether that is footballers or bankers. If the premier league footy deals collapse , the upshot will be catastrophic for football at all levels, as tv money evaporates for all clubs

If that's what needs to happen then so be it. I watched football in the late 50's early 60's when international players were on 20 quid a week plus brown envelope many players on a lot less, still more than the average tradesman wage but a million miles from the obscene levels some are on now.

This is not the time for bickering.

keeping the season alive on 02:47 - Apr 4 with 2358 viewsKenBoon

keeping the season alive on 00:05 - Apr 4 by kiwidale

If that's what needs to happen then so be it. I watched football in the late 50's early 60's when international players were on 20 quid a week plus brown envelope many players on a lot less, still more than the average tradesman wage but a million miles from the obscene levels some are on now.

Bury's FA Cup winning sides probably thought those 1950s and 60s teams were obscene. I can picture John Plant and Charles Sagar sat in a pub discussing how Nat Lofthouse and his Bolton colleagues are ruining football.
keeping the season alive on 09:33 - Apr 4 with 2278 viewsDorislove

This was sorted at 9pm last night.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561
A start to the end for crowds at lower league clubs.
keeping the season alive on 16:55 - Apr 4 with 2155 viewsKenBoon

keeping the season alive on 09:33 - Apr 4 by Dorislove

This was sorted at 9pm last night.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561
A start to the end for crowds at lower league clubs.

I always through that was an FA thing rather than UEFA. I know there's similar in other European countries but usually reserved for games from that region being unavailable live on the telly.

I don't think it will have a great effect on our games because as far as telly ratings go because there's more audience on a Saturday night or Sunday, than on a Saturday 3pm when so many are at games, so the biggest games will still be away from 3pm.
keeping the season alive on 18:46 - Apr 4 with 2108 viewsfrenzied

if the season was made null and void id assume point deductions applied this season would be re inforced the next?
keeping the season alive on 03:42 - Apr 5 with 2052 viewskiwidale

keeping the season alive on 18:46 - Apr 4 by frenzied

if the season was made null and void id assume point deductions applied this season would be re inforced the next?

I doubt it the points deduction were for this season not next. voiding the season will cause more problems than it fixes.

This is not the time for bickering.

keeping the season alive on 08:51 - Apr 5 with 2018 viewsDorislove

keeping the season alive on 16:55 - Apr 4 by KenBoon

I always through that was an FA thing rather than UEFA. I know there's similar in other European countries but usually reserved for games from that region being unavailable live on the telly.

I don't think it will have a great effect on our games because as far as telly ratings go because there's more audience on a Saturday night or Sunday, than on a Saturday 3pm when so many are at games, so the biggest games will still be away from 3pm.

Sorry Ken missed this post,
If it wouldnt have an effect on lower league clubs(one of the reasons it was brought in to protect) why hasnt it been done already .
Its possibly another little chip away at lower league attendances especially in winter .
I cant say its a positive influence .
keeping the season alive on 16:20 - Apr 15 with 1666 views442Dale

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11973696/several-efl-clubs-days-aw

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

keeping the season alive on 16:36 - Apr 15 with 1639 viewsisitme

keeping the season alive on 16:20 - Apr 15 by 442Dale

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11973696/several-efl-clubs-days-aw

The no fans until 2021 is a bit pesimistic. If a phased loosening of the lockdown starts in May then feasilbly people could attend fixtures by early August, ready for the new season.
keeping the season alive on 16:53 - Apr 15 with 1613 views442Dale

keeping the season alive on 16:36 - Apr 15 by isitme

The no fans until 2021 is a bit pesimistic. If a phased loosening of the lockdown starts in May then feasilbly people could attend fixtures by early August, ready for the new season.

Depends when any new season starts or this one ends. Has to be a global approach due to knock on effects. If the EFL cancel this season but the Premier League carry on, it still means waiting for them to finish. And if they can’t finish before Italy, Spain, Germany etc, they’ll all have to wait and vice versa. This will, or should be, ultimately a FIFA led decision. The EFL need to work out how to support clubs until more is known. A decision made now could look ridiculous in a month’s time.

If we are attending games in the summer either from this season (preferable) or next (unlikely because of the above and the uncertainty that exists on a far more important level when it comes to the virus worldwide), then things will have progressed very very positively.

keeping the season alive on 18:46 - Apr 15 with 1539 views442Dale

There’s been talk of some clubs in Germany returning to training and they’re looking at easing restrictions across the country next month, yet still no games in front of crowds until September at the earliest:

keeping the season alive on 19:46 - Apr 15 with 1493 viewsisitme

That is interesting as a guide. I agree with what you say about coordination regarding european competitions, although I suspect that most countries will release the lockdown at different stages and with a different emphasis. Probably behind closed games will be played before crowds are allowed. So that games can be played. Watching some sport on TV is better than nothing.

They really need to make a decision soon regarding this season. Personally they should average out home and away points earned through the season and then use these to finalise league table taking into account games remaining. It will not be perfect but it is fair and has been used in Rugby Union for all bar the top league and has ensured promotion and relegation has taken place.
keeping the season alive on 19:58 - Apr 15 with 1469 viewsD_Alien

keeping the season alive on 19:46 - Apr 15 by isitme

That is interesting as a guide. I agree with what you say about coordination regarding european competitions, although I suspect that most countries will release the lockdown at different stages and with a different emphasis. Probably behind closed games will be played before crowds are allowed. So that games can be played. Watching some sport on TV is better than nothing.

They really need to make a decision soon regarding this season. Personally they should average out home and away points earned through the season and then use these to finalise league table taking into account games remaining. It will not be perfect but it is fair and has been used in Rugby Union for all bar the top league and has ensured promotion and relegation has taken place.

If it does prove impossible to complete the remaining games - and i believe every possible effort should be made to do so - then the points tallying option with promotions honoured has got to be the only other solution, right through the pyramid

Simply discarding 8/9 months (including pre-season training) endeavour would Imo be a disaster, and leave us all wondering about what might happen when the new season starts, with games being played not knowing if they'll count for anything

[Post edited 15 Apr 2020 20:01]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

keeping the season alive on 21:34 - Apr 15 with 1411 views442Dale

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/15/league-one-two-players-fight-wag

Anyone able to produce the full article. Players at all levels need to think this through.

keeping the season alive on 22:22 - Apr 15 with 1384 viewsdale_spotland

keeping the season alive on 21:34 - Apr 15 by 442Dale

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/15/league-one-two-players-fight-wag

Anyone able to produce the full article. Players at all levels need to think this through.

Football League sides were facing a battle to convince players to accept wage deferrals on Wednesday night as a potentially crippling stand-off ensues, despite bleak warnings that at least 10 “famous” clubs could go bust as the coronavirus crisis deepens.

Higher paid players in League One and League Two are being urged to accept salary deferrals of up to 25 per cent for April after a conditional agreement was struck between the EFL and Professional Footballers’ Association.

But some clubs were struggling to convince their players to accept those terms on Wednesday amid concerns the deferrals will turn into more substantial cuts to wages over time.

Telegraph Sport spoke to several senior executives from League One and League Two clubs who said they were worried some players were failing to grasp the gravity of the situation as tensions grow.

One of those executives said: “There won’t be any wages to cut by the summer if there is not appropriate action long before then because there will not be a football club.”

The splits emerged as Andy Pilley, the owner-chairman of Fleetwood Town, warned a host of clubs would go out of business unless urgent action was taken.

Fleetwood reached League One in 2014 after six promotions in a decade thanks to the millions invested by Pilley.

But the Lancashire businessman, while vowing to keep Fleetwood alive even if that meant rigorous cost-cutting, fears other clubs may not be so lucky.

The likes of Macclesfield Town, Oldham Athletic and Southend United are just some of the clubs who were suffering financially even before the global pandemic struck.

“My concern, my big worry is that we may have double figures of football clubs who go to the wall - famous football clubs who no longer exist, who no longer deliver the quality of life and the pride to their community that they have done for perhaps 100 years or more,” said Pilley.

“[The crisis] may ultimately threaten the very existence of our clubs if sufficient action is not taken.

I think better understanding of this situation is required so the whole of football can find a collective way through this incredibly challenging time.

“The very integrity of the competition we love is at stake here. We don’t want to be watching football that is about clubs points being expunged, [using the formula of] points per game, seasons being null and void. We want a healthy Football League with sustainable clubs for the future.

This is not just about the self-preservation of Fleetwood Town. My football club will be OK. I may have to cost-cut significantly but I will find a way to navigate through these times and we will continue to exist.”

Oakwell Sports Advisory, a leading sports financial advisory firm who have advised on a host of football takeovers, including Leeds United, Aston Villa and Derby County, estimate that the coronavirus pandemic could cost Football League clubs around £170 million in lost revenue if the current season is not finished.

They predicted that Championship clubs would be facing combined revenue losses of £120.1m and League One and League Two clubs collective losses of £50m.

Many clubs in tiers three and four were initially pushing up deferrals of up to 50 per cent, or wage cuts, only for the PFA to oppose such moves.

But even the compromise figure of 25 per cent for players earning over £2,500 per month is already proving a hard sell to dressing rooms, despite support from the PFA for the proposal.

Senior players in League One earn an average of £247,188 annually - or £4,753 per week - while their League Two counterparts earn an average of £113,951, or £2,191 per week, according to a salary benchmarking report by the EFL as of last September.

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

keeping the season alive on 23:37 - Apr 15 with 1342 views442Dale

Thank you for posting.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024