Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread 13:17 - Jan 15 with 12621 viewsHullDale

Been a while since we needed one of these!

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 18:04 - Jan 15 with 4119 viewsTomRAFC

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 16:54 - Jan 15 by RotherhamDale

Theyve defended really well but we didn't make them work at all for their two goals. We've then had plenty of the ball without threatening.

I thought Downing looked solid. Headed and cleared everything.

Our forward line is so poor. I hope Stockdale manages to change that this week

I'd agree with all that.

Not wanting to labour the point but the ifollow commentary today was laughable. Peter Clarke will need to let our commentary team know that he'd like to just stay friends, such was their affections.

Glad they find it funny that one of them has little knowledge of our team or town, plenty of chat about other teams though. Maybe it's just me that didn't see the funny side of it.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 19:47 - Jan 15 with 3686 viewsTVOS1907

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 18:04 - Jan 15 by TomRAFC

I'd agree with all that.

Not wanting to labour the point but the ifollow commentary today was laughable. Peter Clarke will need to let our commentary team know that he'd like to just stay friends, such was their affections.

Glad they find it funny that one of them has little knowledge of our team or town, plenty of chat about other teams though. Maybe it's just me that didn't see the funny side of it.

Sounds like you had the home team commentary selected, Tom.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 19:49 - Jan 15 with 3669 viewsTVOS1907

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 17:11 - Jan 15 by 1907

Had we brought Cashman on instead of Done we could well have drawn that match. I sincerely hope that’s the last we see of Done.

First half we looked like a side that hadn’t played for a month and had sold two key players as well as losing one due to expiry of a loan.

We actually did quite well in the middle of the pitch but created very little and had absolutely nothing up front for the large part.

It’s a shame we’ve not managed to get replacements in sooner as I suspect there will be a couple of new recruits at the start of the week who probably would have made a difference today.

Expected to lose today, disappointed with the pathetic goals conceded, thought White was really poor throughout but we actually could have got something from that game. Strange one.

Agree with that, although from reading some of the comments and ludicrous reactions on other platforms, we appear to be completely doomed from hereon in.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 20:00 - Jan 15 with 3618 viewsTomRAFC

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 19:47 - Jan 15 by TVOS1907

Sounds like you had the home team commentary selected, Tom.

I did check at one point

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 20:09 - Jan 15 with 3568 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 17:25 - Jan 15 by 49thseason

Are saying Done is done? I sincerely hope so, he has added nothing since we re-signed him. A completely wasted wage, I would pay him off now if we had the money to do so. Better to give an enthusiastic kid some game time.... Imagine if young Thomas had managed to put that chance away or maybe Brierley?

Anyway, if we can get a couple of players in early doors this week, at least they will have a few days to settle in and figure out who is who and whats needed.

Done has been a passenger for months and was so, even before BBM/ BotBot stitched the Club up with another contract for him..... Trouble is, he is unlikely to press for a release whilst being paid well, albeit blocking one of our kids development.
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 20:10 - Jan 15 with 3559 viewswelshdale

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 20:00 - Jan 15 by TomRAFC

I did check at one point

First time back in league two heading the game and expected to get beat. Shocking start, Coleman at blame for the first then a pick of 3 at fault for the second. Good to see O’Connell get the lads together and show some fight

Second half we had most of the ball without troubling them too much, game was well managed by them

Cashman is a wasted loan signing with RS fancying Done before him, would send him back and try and bring someone else in

Downing looked solid

Upthedale
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 20:32 - Jan 15 with 3448 viewsHullDale

Hard to judge where we are after today's game. The first 20/25 minutes was as poor as anything I've seen all season. We looked half decent after that, but unsure if that's because we became good or they sat back and protected their lead. A few of their fans on social seem to think we can play decent football, but it falls apart in the final 20% of the pitch... hard to disagree with that.

From today, Downing looked decent (& if online rumours are to be believed he'll need to be if O'Connell is off), Broadbent isn't a RWB and Cashman is beginning to look like a wasted loan if we aren't using him.

Finally - does anyone else sense some frustration from Stockdale that the O'Keeffe saga isn't resolved?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2022 20:33]
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 21:25 - Jan 15 with 3217 viewsJames1980

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 20:32 - Jan 15 by HullDale

Hard to judge where we are after today's game. The first 20/25 minutes was as poor as anything I've seen all season. We looked half decent after that, but unsure if that's because we became good or they sat back and protected their lead. A few of their fans on social seem to think we can play decent football, but it falls apart in the final 20% of the pitch... hard to disagree with that.

From today, Downing looked decent (& if online rumours are to be believed he'll need to be if O'Connell is off), Broadbent isn't a RWB and Cashman is beginning to look like a wasted loan if we aren't using him.

Finally - does anyone else sense some frustration from Stockdale that the O'Keeffe saga isn't resolved?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2022 20:33]

Can't watch the video at the moment. Who is he frustrated with our board or Mansfield's

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Login to get fewer ads

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 21:30 - Jan 15 with 3199 viewsHullDale

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 21:25 - Jan 15 by James1980

Can't watch the video at the moment. Who is he frustrated with our board or Mansfield's

"y'know, the fans are singing Corey's name - can we do something with that? but its, y'know, I want to focus on the players that are here... the ones that started the game, the ones that came on, the ones that travelled.. we all need to do a little bit better"

He's clearly disappointed, and speaking after a disappointing game, but that bit stood out to me.
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 21:39 - Jan 15 with 3149 viewsJames1980

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 21:30 - Jan 15 by HullDale

"y'know, the fans are singing Corey's name - can we do something with that? but its, y'know, I want to focus on the players that are here... the ones that started the game, the ones that came on, the ones that travelled.. we all need to do a little bit better"

He's clearly disappointed, and speaking after a disappointing game, but that bit stood out to me.

Thank you HD

I suppose it makes sense he would prefer fans getting behind the players on the pitch rather than chanting about one that isn't in the squad. The board and management surely know by now the fans want Corey to sign and if they can get his signature within in the right parameters they will.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2022 21:49]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 23:36 - Jan 15 with 2826 viewsmikehunt

Thought the ref could have given us two penalties if he'd wanted. The second one was our player who was waiting for a pass had his legs taken from under him. Just cos he wasn't the man with the ball doesn't mean that shouldn't be a pen surely?
Anyway, no good whingeing about referees' decisions. We have no quality up top and made all our own problems. Tranmere never really troubled us. Maybe, after gifting them a couple of goals, they didn't need to?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 02:47 - Jan 16 with 2609 viewsDaleFan7

To say in his early interviews he said he had pace, Andrews just isn't mobile enough to play up front on his own, it worked with Beesley because Jake was the one doing all the running. We really need to change the system we play.
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 08:13 - Jan 16 with 2401 views1907

I find the whole O’Keeffe situation very frustrating personally.

We’ve all known for months that his loan spell was up in January and it is clear he is the man Stockdale wants to play RWB or we would have brought somebody else in by now.

However it’s now 16th January, almost half of the transfer window and month has gone and we’ve still not managed to find a solution? Why? Why didn’t we have something agreed months before January if we knew we wanted him that much?

I understand dealing with agents and other clubs can be very frustrating but there does appear to be some lessons which need to be learned from this situation. Had multiple games not been called off we would have been short in one of the most important positions of our system.
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 08:58 - Jan 16 with 2310 viewsmikehunt

The frustrating thing about those postponements is that they were winnable games with the three players we have lost, now maybe not as much.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:36 - Jan 16 with 2184 viewselectricblue

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 08:13 - Jan 16 by 1907

We’ve all known for months that his loan spell was up in January and it is clear he is the man Stockdale wants to play RWB or we would have brought somebody else in by now.

However it’s now 16th January, almost half of the transfer window and month has gone and we’ve still not managed to find a solution? Why? Why didn’t we have something agreed months before January if we knew we wanted him that much?

I understand dealing with agents and other clubs can be very frustrating but there does appear to be some lessons which need to be learned from this situation. Had multiple games not been called off we would have been short in one of the most important positions of our system.

Didnt RS say the he was hoping that the players 2or3 may sign on friday if not it will be early next week!
He also stated that the hold up is one or two issues the player as at the club to sort hence they have not signed yet.

Also O'Keeffe maybe one of those players who knows..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:37 - Jan 16 with 2183 viewsRAFCBLUE

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 08:13 - Jan 16 by 1907

The delay can only be that he's a Mansfield player 1907 and out of contract in the Summer and Mansfield haven't agreed to sell him yet.

At present, I'd imagine that there will be his agent trying to do deals with a number of clubs and trying to get the best for his client.

Let's imagine there are three interested parties:
A) A Championship club
B) A League 1 club
C) Rochdale

If A) or B) come off then the agent is going to naturally recommend that to his client above Rochdale.

The problem comes when A) move from "certain" to "still keen" and then the agent has to think about B) vs C). If Corey isn't the first choice for the Championship club and they have other options then he is stuck until they decide to move.

Corey's agent then has to convince Mansfield to sell Corey to club A), B) or C) on terms agreeable to them but there they have the same problem we had with Morley which is sell now or lose him for nothing in the Summer.

The risk that Corey and his agent faces is that there are only 16 days of the window left from tomorrow and to get a deal done his client won't have played (or be playing at Mansfield) this month. Wherever he ends up he will be lacking playing time.

The other risk is that no-one gets a deal done with Mansfield and he's trapped without football for 6 months. Nigel Clough might just prove a point to Corey given their alleged falling out which sparked his loan move to us in the first place.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:48 - Jan 16 with 2149 views1907

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:36 - Jan 16 by electricblue

Didnt RS say the he was hoping that the players 2or3 may sign on friday if not it will be early next week!
He also stated that the hold up is one or two issues the player as at the club to sort hence they have not signed yet.

Also O'Keeffe maybe one of those players who knows..

My frustration is that we knew O’Keeffe is the wing back we want, we’ve known this for months. Surely these negotiations could have been sorted long before January? It’s now the 17th January and we’ve no recognised right back in the squad?
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:54 - Jan 16 with 2125 viewsRAFCBLUE

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:48 - Jan 16 by 1907

My frustration is that we knew O’Keeffe is the wing back we want, we’ve known this for months. Surely these negotiations could have been sorted long before January? It’s now the 17th January and we’ve no recognised right back in the squad?

As I put in a previous post, we might not be Corey's first choice.

Do you sign a player to find that Corey might have been available all along or do you wait and see, but not have the space in the squad filled.

I thought Stockdale was excellent in his interview last week and again yesterday about the work being done on the squad. Whether his "2 or 3" comments relate to Corey O'Keefe though remains to be seen.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:58 - Jan 16 with 2112 views1907

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:37 - Jan 16 by RAFCBLUE

The delay can only be that he's a Mansfield player 1907 and out of contract in the Summer and Mansfield haven't agreed to sell him yet.

At present, I'd imagine that there will be his agent trying to do deals with a number of clubs and trying to get the best for his client.

Let's imagine there are three interested parties:
A) A Championship club
B) A League 1 club
C) Rochdale

If A) or B) come off then the agent is going to naturally recommend that to his client above Rochdale.

The problem comes when A) move from "certain" to "still keen" and then the agent has to think about B) vs C). If Corey isn't the first choice for the Championship club and they have other options then he is stuck until they decide to move.

Corey's agent then has to convince Mansfield to sell Corey to club A), B) or C) on terms agreeable to them but there they have the same problem we had with Morley which is sell now or lose him for nothing in the Summer.

The risk that Corey and his agent faces is that there are only 16 days of the window left from tomorrow and to get a deal done his client won't have played (or be playing at Mansfield) this month. Wherever he ends up he will be lacking playing time.

The other risk is that no-one gets a deal done with Mansfield and he's trapped without football for 6 months. Nigel Clough might just prove a point to Corey given their alleged falling out which sparked his loan move to us in the first place.

Appreciate all those points but I find it frustrating that this wasn’t sorted before January. If his agent is causing issues and solely in the driving seat then we should have had a suitable alternative in already. We want players at this club that want to be here, don’t we? As I’ve just said on my above reply, it’s the 17th Jan and we’ve no recognised right back in the squad. We knew Beesley was going for a while and had the Colchester game been on, we would have been without a proper striker for two league games now (no offence intended to Andrew’s but he’s not here to be our main man).

I appreciate the league is tight, however results below us weren’t ideal yesterday (extremely fortunate Stevenage dropped the lead in the last minute) and we will now have a very busy schedule due to a back log of games with a small squad.

I would hate for us to sleepwalk our way into a relegation battle when we could realistically still aim for a top half finish and some positivity through the summer.

There is no doubt everyone is working as hard as they can, but ultimately there are 72 right back positions available in the football league on a Saturday and if a player or their agent are playing overly hard to get them we need to find another.
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:27 - Jan 16 with 2033 views442Dale

One of the biggest problems is the January window always seems to be a bit chaotic. We need only look at the past when players have departed and arrived out of the blue to illustrate anything we think on here or see elsewhere on social media is total guess work.

On O’Keeffe, it’s probably playing out with him as it would be with most players who have had a decent loan spell somewhere. Nobody knows what he might now have as options and it’s probably not a surprise that time passes and we just have to wait or decide to move on.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:29 - Jan 16 with 2023 viewsRAFCBLUE

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:58 - Jan 16 by 1907

Appreciate all those points but I find it frustrating that this wasn’t sorted before January. If his agent is causing issues and solely in the driving seat then we should have had a suitable alternative in already. We want players at this club that want to be here, don’t we? As I’ve just said on my above reply, it’s the 17th Jan and we’ve no recognised right back in the squad. We knew Beesley was going for a while and had the Colchester game been on, we would have been without a proper striker for two league games now (no offence intended to Andrew’s but he’s not here to be our main man).

I appreciate the league is tight, however results below us weren’t ideal yesterday (extremely fortunate Stevenage dropped the lead in the last minute) and we will now have a very busy schedule due to a back log of games with a small squad.

I would hate for us to sleepwalk our way into a relegation battle when we could realistically still aim for a top half finish and some positivity through the summer.

There is no doubt everyone is working as hard as they can, but ultimately there are 72 right back positions available in the football league on a Saturday and if a player or their agent are playing overly hard to get them we need to find another.

I think that is a fair reflection.

Ultimately, up to the player always - Corey could sit on the last six months of his contract at Mansfield and do nothing.

That would be dreadful for him in footballing terms as not playing.

If you look at the transfers so far, most have been loans and there is an upcoming domino effect when one player moves that starts off a chain of events.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

The other thing to think about is the EFL rules; if a player doesn't sign for a club by Noon on Friday then they can't play in that weekend's fixtures.

That rule creates the weekly cycle; there is no rush now for any club to do deals before Noon on Friday 21st January. After next weekend I think you will see quite a few clubs and players get itchy feet and start to try and force moves.

What that means for Corey - no idea!

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:31 - Jan 16 with 2017 viewselectricblue

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:48 - Jan 16 by 1907

Who knows what the situation is with O'Keeffee.
Didnt our chairman said weeks ago they made an offer for him (pre Jan).

RS should have a timescale on signing him and also a back up plan to bring in a RB another RB target once this deadline as passed.

Its not just an RB though is it!
Another forward and a central midfielder aswell as im not convinced about broadbent tbh.....

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:45 - Jan 16 with 1965 views1907

Something else I’ve been thinking this morning that I think is really prevalent this season is the mix of the squad we have.

We want to be seen as a club where young players can develop and go onto bigger and better things. That is in the DNA of the club and how we survive.

I do feel this season though we may just have too many players who fit this category.

We’re missing older pros who have been there and done it & aren’t necessarily thinking of their next move or parent club, maybe even seen as looking towards the end of their careers. It’s not a bad thing at all.

Players who truly appreciate playing for Rochdale, wear their heart on their sleeve, kiss the badge when they score. You know what I mean.

EOC is club captain, best player in the squad, but we all know he’s not going to be here next season. You could never really have said that about Gary Jones.

Keith Keane, Peter Cavanagh, Ian Henderson, John Doolan, bringing Lund back was inspired, Paul Simpson all sort of spring to mind of signings that are sort of what I think we are maybe missing in the squad.

Looking at the outfield players who started yesterday and apart from the centre halves, the two players who have tonnes of experience & are over the age of 26 were Dooley & Done. Would you follow either of them into battle?

I think Stockdale is aware of this and the signing of Downing I’m sure will be a massive success, he’s 30 years old and hopefully could fit into the leadership category for this season and beyond hopefully.

The squad was thrown together in about a week and it could have turned out a whole lot worse which is credit to Stockdale’s eye for a player. However if we don’t honestly reflect on where we are we can’t really progress.

If we don’t manage to get hold of a gnarly, experienced, older central midfielder this window and sign more young players I think we’re just potentially making a rod for our own back. Plodders can be just as important as super stars.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2022 10:59]
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:50 - Jan 16 with 1935 views1907

Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:31 - Jan 16 by electricblue

Who knows what the situation is with O'Keeffee.
Didnt our chairman said weeks ago they made an offer for him (pre Jan).

RS should have a timescale on signing him and also a back up plan to bring in a RB another RB target once this deadline as passed.

Its not just an RB though is it!
Another forward and a central midfielder aswell as im not convinced about broadbent tbh.....

Oh without doubt. If we had someone who could control a game in the middle of the pitch it would make a hell of a difference.

I think we need two strikers to be honest. We’ve got Andrew’s and Cashman. As I said after the game yesterday that should be the last we see of Done because he was absolutely woeful.
Tranmere Rovers (a) Match Thread on 12:47 - Jan 16 with 1667 viewselectricblue

Lets just trust in RS and see what happens...

When chasing players its out of the clubs hands really until its agreed between themselves and its down to the money.
Also it depends upon the player is he after big wages because his agent says that he can get more or is the player interested in improvement at a club who have promised that if a bigger club comes in with the right offer he can talk to them....

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024