Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bloody Sunday 12:11 - Jan 30 with 3347 viewsCountyJim

An absolute stain on Britain disgusting behaviour from our soldiers

RIP
Bloody Sunday on 17:43 - Jan 30 with 1015 viewsCatullus

Bloody Sunday on 16:16 - Jan 30 by 73__73

The Germans targeted men, women and children with their carpet bombing of British cities in WW2, but now less than 80 years later, both sets of populations do not hate each other.

They must put something in the water in Southern Ireland

We were at war though and we bombed their cities too. The Irish did nothing similar to the English back when this all started. They were fighting an invasion themselves.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Bloody Sunday on 17:45 - Jan 30 with 1005 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Nats will always love the Irish as they stood up to the Brits and killed them by any means necessary to free Ireland.

I truly wish we had dumped this filthy country centuries ago and let them wallow in religious zeal. We British have lost too many defending what is basically indefensible.

We are still reaping the whirlwind of hate from colonial days and in some ways deserve it.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Bloody Sunday on 17:51 - Jan 30 with 996 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Bloody Sunday on 17:43 - Jan 30 by Catullus

We were at war though and we bombed their cities too. The Irish did nothing similar to the English back when this all started. They were fighting an invasion themselves.

Not sure I would agree with you the IRA did nothing in England. They targeted pubs, soldiers, random bombings on civilians and of course assinated MPs and bombed the government in Brighton.

Over 100 killed in England by the IRA. I wonder if the IRISH prime minister will be laying wreaths when their 50th anniversary come around.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Bloody Sunday on 17:55 - Jan 30 with 988 viewsonehunglow

Bloody Sunday on 17:51 - Jan 30 by felixstowe_jack

Not sure I would agree with you the IRA did nothing in England. They targeted pubs, soldiers, random bombings on civilians and of course assinated MPs and bombed the government in Brighton.

Over 100 killed in England by the IRA. I wonder if the IRISH prime minister will be laying wreaths when their 50th anniversary come around.

The IRA attacked us all in a way. It made us worried .It upset us when we saw fresh horse meat all over the public highway and bit of kids out for a night out leaving in a body bag.

Still,Wale wasnt attacked was it. If the Warrington outrage had happened in the Kingsway, we 'd see matters in a different light

Bloody Sunday on 18:09 - Jan 30 with 975 viewsBoundy

All sides committed offences but it appears the only ones which are remembered are those against who followed a particular religion . I wonder if the OP is wiling to acknowledge and condemn the collusion of some of its so called men of God who knowingly aided and abetted those whose sole aim was kill and anyone who they deemed as the enemy .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Bloody Sunday on 18:14 - Jan 30 with 969 viewsCountyJim

Bloody Sunday on 18:09 - Jan 30 by Boundy

All sides committed offences but it appears the only ones which are remembered are those against who followed a particular religion . I wonder if the OP is wiling to acknowledge and condemn the collusion of some of its so called men of God who knowingly aided and abetted those whose sole aim was kill and anyone who they deemed as the enemy .

I certainly do violence is wrong

It's worse thing this case because these are highly trained professional soldiers killing innocent civilians
Bloody Sunday on 18:24 - Jan 30 with 962 viewsmagicdaps10

Bloody Sunday on 18:14 - Jan 30 by CountyJim

It's worse thing this case because these are highly trained professional soldiers killing innocent civilians

Tell you the one thing that sickens me over there and absolutely no remorse for that day and even from the people of Derry today regards it.

The two soldiers killed on their day off, they took a wrong turn on their day off and were spotted by the locals and ultimately killed.
The City of Derry could be doing more there, they could honour those 2 soldiers who lost their lives that day, put a hand of friendship out to show a bit of remorse and it offers an olive branch.

Do you think that will ever happen, what do you think the fall out in the City of Derry if that was even thought on?
Britian has shown a lot of sympathy, regret and tried to patch up old wounds.... No question this has been jumped on with little to no return.

No question we were an awful lot back in the day but we are certainly getting too soft in this modern world.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Bloody Sunday on 18:49 - Jan 30 with 935 viewsKilkennyjack

Bloody Sunday on 16:07 - Jan 30 by magicdaps10

I don't condone what happened but there is certainly a bigger picture than what we know.

As for the ages, there were most certainly teenagers being allowed to run a muck so I am not surprised that so many young lost their lives needlessly.

I don't condone any of it but mentalities have to change as shown by some of the posts on here. The army and those who controlled things need to be accounted for AS do those IRA members who were willing to go to the levels they did and allowed young kids to join their fight of terrorism.

All I am saying is, it was a 2 way street and minds have to realise this or the hatred just continues all these years later.

Yep.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Bloody Sunday on 19:17 - Jan 30 with 922 viewsFlashberryjack

Bloody Sunday on 15:50 - Jan 30 by Catullus

The Irish sentiment towards the English was formed a lot further back thanthe1940's or even 1922 (when the IRA formed) and back even further than the potato famine. it stretches all the way back to the 16th Century, to Elisabeth I and Robert Devereux, to Lord Deputy Mountjoy, Oliver Cromwell and slavery.

The behaviour of the English overlords in Ireland has left a deeply ingrained hate.

What about those bloody romans, they were beastly to us.

FFS, no wonder there are is terrorism and war, with so many relentlessly stirring the pot of history.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Bloody Sunday on 19:22 - Jan 30 with 908 viewsBoundy

Bloody Sunday on 18:14 - Jan 30 by CountyJim

and these were so called men of God of your faith , who were not acting under duress as were the troops at the time. but in a calm methodical manner. even allowing the house of God (Clonard Monastery the Belfast IRA HQ in 1971 ) be used as a meeting place to discuss tactics and strategy , a whole year before Bloody Sunday or Our Lady of Bethlehem Abbey, where two catholic priests were charged with aiding IRA escapees from Belfast Prison or Father Patrick Fell who was sentenced to twelve years in prison in Birmingham for conspiracy to cause explosions in Coventry.
I'm not condoning the actions of the paras that day, I wasn't here and I have to assume neither were you or anyone else who are quick to point the finger but equally as quick to overlook and forget the actions of others. It's really is time we moved on and the sooner the better

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Bloody Sunday on 19:23 - Jan 30 with 908 viewsCountyJim

Bloody Sunday on 16:16 - Jan 30 by 73__73

The Germans targeted men, women and children with their carpet bombing of British cities in WW2, but now less than 80 years later, both sets of populations do not hate each other.

They must put something in the water in Southern Ireland

We did the same to German cities mind
Bloody Sunday on 19:29 - Jan 30 with 907 viewsshingle

Just got back from spending a few days in Belfast did the black taxi tour of the Troubles with an ex IRA guy found it to be a fascinating couple of hours and even today at 7pm they close the gates between the Catholic and Protestant areas, i personally find it difficult to take the side of any of them, so sad and as the saying goes the world would be a far better place without Dictators and Religion.
Bloody Sunday on 19:33 - Jan 30 with 898 viewsonehunglow

Bloody Sunday on 19:23 - Jan 30 by CountyJim

We did the same to German cities mind

and it helped to give you the freedom to post what you do

Throw in Enola Gay now

That saved countless lives-our Allies lives.

You ever spoken to anyone that was on the Burma Railway or had the misfortune to be at the hands of the Gestapo.?

Bloody Sunday on 08:59 - Jan 31 with 797 viewsCountyJim

Bloody Sunday on 19:33 - Jan 30 by onehunglow

and it helped to give you the freedom to post what you do

Throw in Enola Gay now

That saved countless lives-our Allies lives.

You ever spoken to anyone that was on the Burma Railway or had the misfortune to be at the hands of the Gestapo.?

Of course I've meet people who where involved I'm in my 50s my poor old neighbour Albie was unlucky enough to be taken prison twice by the japs he had skin cancer prob caused by working in the sun to much during that time

I was responding to the post the Germans targeted British people yes they did but don't forget we did exactly the same we weren't innocent an old great uncle of mine was a gunner on bombing raids he said they where told the missions where to take out strategic targets but don't worry about civilians

Anyway back to original topic it was a stain on Britain these were totally innocent civilians remember that and our soldiers are professionally trained especially the paras

You can go on about both sides but remember our British boys where professional soldiers
Bloody Sunday on 09:30 - Jan 31 with 776 viewsCatullus

Bloody Sunday on 17:51 - Jan 30 by felixstowe_jack

NOOOOO, I didn't say the IRA, I said back when all this started, I didn't mean 1922 when the IRA formed, I meant way back in time when the English were perpetrating atrocities in Ireland.

Of course the IRA did bad shtick on the UK mainland and in NI. Only an idiot could deny that. I have friends who served out there too, I've heard stories, none of them good.

Back in the early 1600's Cromwell did awful things in Ireland, including taking the Irish and selling them into slavery.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Bloody Sunday on 09:35 - Jan 31 with 774 viewsonehunglow

Bloody Sunday on 09:30 - Jan 31 by Catullus

NOOOOO, I didn't say the IRA, I said back when all this started, I didn't mean 1922 when the IRA formed, I meant way back in time when the English were perpetrating atrocities in Ireland.

Of course the IRA did bad shtick on the UK mainland and in NI. Only an idiot could deny that. I have friends who served out there too, I've heard stories, none of them good.

Back in the early 1600's Cromwell did awful things in Ireland, including taking the Irish and selling them into slavery.

Protestants led by the demagogue Paisley fully felt they had and deserved the whip hand. Why. Because their religion told the.The dirty Roman Catholics and how they prayed to Mary not God ,ergo Catholics were wrong .

Everything is NI relates to this .

Bloody Sunday on 10:04 - Jan 31 with 752 viewsCatullus

Bloody Sunday on 09:35 - Jan 31 by onehunglow

Protestants led by the demagogue Paisley fully felt they had and deserved the whip hand. Why. Because their religion told the.The dirty Roman Catholics and how they prayed to Mary not God ,ergo Catholics were wrong .

Everything is NI relates to this .

Yes religion is a major driver of whats happened, going all the way back to Robert Devereux and Elisabeth I, to Cromwell and his Puritan beliefs. Religion is at the heart of so many problems.

Bloody Sunday was a stain on our history, still is a stain, one that can never be washed away. It's not the only one though and we are very far from the only country with such black marks against their story.

Bloody Sunday on 10:11 - Jan 31 with 750 viewsonehunglow

Bloody Sunday on 10:04 - Jan 31 by Catullus

Yes religion is a major driver of whats happened, going all the way back to Robert Devereux and Elisabeth I, to Cromwell and his Puritan beliefs. Religion is at the heart of so many problems.

Bloody Sunday was a stain on our history, still is a stain, one that can never be washed away. It's not the only one though and we are very far from the only country with such black marks against their story.

Indeed.
I’ve spent quite a bit of time in The Hague and the Dutch were the biggest empire at one time. They have much to be sheepish about.
The Belgians more so .
Portuguese
All have historic dark corners but we seem to bleed more than anyone as regards our wrong doings

Nobody of our age will ever be free of the slaughter of innocent British civilians over many years at the hands of Adams and McGuiness aided and abetted but the Catholic Church in Ireland.

We could move on if we actually forget history .that would mean Protestants and the Battle of the Boyle and their ludicrous Orange Lodge marches to celebrate crushing Catholics for centuries .

Bloody Sunday on 13:31 - Jan 31 with 707 viewsKilkennyjack

Johnson has just doubled the UK troops engaged around Ukraine to 1,000.

There are 5,000 UK troops in the north of Ireland.

Most people think that the demilitarisation of the north of Ireland is long overdue after 20 years of peace, before Brexit.

John Lennon had a point.

Bloody Sunday on 13:44 - Jan 31 with 700 viewsCatullus

Bloody Sunday on 19:17 - Jan 30 by Flashberryjack

What about those bloody romans, they were beastly to us.

FFS, no wonder there are is terrorism and war, with so many relentlessly stirring the pot of history.

Well the Romans haven't been around for a fair while now but the British are still in Northern Ireland, as many Irish people see it. It's not really taking something from 1000 years ago and using it as an excuse, it's an ongoing situation with people still fighting their corner.

There are people in Wales who can't let go of History too mind, people who long for an independent Wales because we once weren't rules by those darned Anglo Saxons.

Our History moulded who we are today. I'm not one of those who believes in punishing people for things others did 500 years back, but when that situation still exists and people are still mourning their lost loved ones, I don't see giving reasons why the hatred still runs deep as being "relentlessly stirring" anything.

Bloody Sunday on 13:45 - Jan 31 with 697 viewsCountyJim

Bloody Sunday on 19:22 - Jan 30 by Boundy

and these were so called men of God of your faith , who were not acting under duress as were the troops at the time. but in a calm methodical manner. even allowing the house of God (Clonard Monastery the Belfast IRA HQ in 1971 ) be used as a meeting place to discuss tactics and strategy , a whole year before Bloody Sunday or Our Lady of Bethlehem Abbey, where two catholic priests were charged with aiding IRA escapees from Belfast Prison or Father Patrick Fell who was sentenced to twelve years in prison in Birmingham for conspiracy to cause explosions in Coventry.
I'm not condoning the actions of the paras that day, I wasn't here and I have to assume neither were you or anyone else who are quick to point the finger but equally as quick to overlook and forget the actions of others. It's really is time we moved on and the sooner the better

Totally disgusting behaviour I agree
Bloody Sunday on 14:52 - Jan 31 with 663 viewsFlashberryjack

Bloody Sunday on 13:44 - Jan 31 by Catullus

Well the Romans haven't been around for a fair while now but the British are still in Northern Ireland, as many Irish people see it. It's not really taking something from 1000 years ago and using it as an excuse, it's an ongoing situation with people still fighting their corner.

There are people in Wales who can't let go of History too mind, people who long for an independent Wales because we once weren't rules by those darned Anglo Saxons.

Our History moulded who we are today. I'm not one of those who believes in punishing people for things others did 500 years back, but when that situation still exists and people are still mourning their lost loved ones, I don't see giving reasons why the hatred still runs deep as being "relentlessly stirring" anything.

So what would you think should be a cut off date for historical hatred to end ?

Before my time, but the Germans bombed Swansea.

Hello

Bloody Sunday on 16:34 - Jan 31 with 626 viewsCatullus

Bloody Sunday on 14:52 - Jan 31 by Flashberryjack

So what would you think should be a cut off date for historical hatred to end ?

Before my time, but the Germans bombed Swansea.

As I said, the Northern Ireland issue is still going on. They are still part of the UK and there are still people who resent that.

I don't hold any grudges over WW2.

You can't just set a time limit on it though, people don't work like that. In some places the hatred is passed down through the generations, held on to and it festers.

I suppose as a general rule, if everyone involved is dead because so long has passed , say 2 generations have come and gone, then move on.

Bloody Sunday on 16:49 - Jan 31 with 620 viewsKilkennyjack

Bloody Sunday on 16:34 - Jan 31 by Catullus

As I said, the Northern Ireland issue is still going on. They are still part of the UK and there are still people who resent that.

You can't just set a time limit on it though, people don't work like that. In some places the hatred is passed down through the generations, held on to and it festers.

I suppose as a general rule, if everyone involved is dead because so long has passed , say 2 generations have come and gone, then move on.

Most people in the north of Ireland do not want to be part of the UK.
The border poll will confirm this in due course.

The north of Ireland voted Remain.
They see themselves as Europeans, not West Brits.
The statelet has run its course, game over.

Bloody Sunday on 17:19 - Jan 31 with 601 viewsFlashberryjack

Bloody Sunday on 16:34 - Jan 31 by Catullus

"You can't just set a time limit on it though, people don't work like that. In some places the hatred is passed down through the generations, held on to and it festers."

My point exactly.

Hello

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024