Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shots on target 09:51 - May 11 with 1758 viewsozranger

I know this has been brought up time and time again and according to many we had zero shots on target again in the last game, but I feel that I want to put myself out there and say this is all rubbish and I am getting a little peeved that people keep sprouting it, wether here or on podcasts. It comes down to the definition of a shot on target by the person at the game who makes up the stats. From what appears quite obvious, this definition is that a shot on target is one that either goes into the goal or is saved by the keeper. The terminology is all wrong and is leading to everyone misreading the real situation.

That is for example, at the Burnley game, the three shots that Dickie saved on the line were not shots on target or should not have been included in the total. They come under blocked shots even though every one of them was goal bound. So, how many shots that are goal bound are blocked? Quite a few every game. For example, in the first half on Monday Dykes had a goal bound shot blocked which then bounced off Adomah and back to Dykes who appears to have another goal bound shot, but this time bouncing off Amos, who is standing in an offside position. According to the "statistics", neither of Dykes' shots were a shot on target even though both were goal bound, or at least the first was.

I will not say there are others for us, but I will say that when using this statistic, you need to be careful. The statistic is a misnomer and is not full representative of what is actual reality. So, to say that we had zero shots on target on Monday is, well, rubbish and clearly not true.
Shots on target on 10:00 - May 11 with 1704 viewsRsinWales

I tend to agree that some of the stats in the current game are a bit of a stretch, including shots on target and expected goals.

What I would say about shots on target in our particular case, is that is is indicative (not definitive) of the serious lack of high quality chances we make. I have come away from too many matches struggling to think of any golden chances we have missed.

Our lack of real creative spark in the final third is combined with an absence of any natural finishers (aside from a fading Martin?) We've scored less than a goal a game over 46 games and that is a stark and definitive figure.
Shots on target on 11:17 - May 11 with 1612 viewsBrianWilliamsBeard

The stats people class a shot blocked on the line by an outfield player as a shot on target, so the Dickie blocks would have counted.
Shots on target on 12:29 - May 11 with 1552 viewsRsinWales

Shots on target on 11:17 - May 11 by BrianWilliamsBeard

The stats people class a shot blocked on the line by an outfield player as a shot on target, so the Dickie blocks would have counted.

You might have thought so, but the BBC stats indicate we had 0 shots on target against Bristol City
Shots on target on 14:09 - May 11 with 1485 viewsBrianWilliamsBeard

I didn't see the Bristol game. I think it depends if there are defenders/keeper beyond the player making the block. It only counts as a SoT if the defender is the last man.

I agree though that some of them are incomprehensible.
Shots on target on 14:52 - May 11 with 1452 viewsNorthernr

It is a bit nutty that the first Dykes effort doesn't count as one on target, just been backed and watched it again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024