Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread 22:00 - Aug 16 with 45519 viewsKeithHaynes

Our very own RWC thread.

Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England will join 16 other nations as they compete for the ultimate prize in rugby – the Webb Ellis Cup – which was last won by the Springboks in 2019. The opening match of Rugby World Cup 2023 will see hosts France face three-time winners New Zealand on Friday 8th September. The final will take place seven weeks later on Saturday 28th October.

Click on the link to enlarge the fixtures.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:41 - Oct 22 with 1175 viewsunion_jack

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:52 - Oct 22 by onehunglow

Stay away from Saffas on forums ,Union.
They don’t lack confidence as such

Didn’t say I liked the R, far from it. I’m just saying it the way I saw it.

Play like that next week and NZ will shank them. But they won’t so it should be a good game🤞

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:41 - Oct 22 with 1159 viewstrampie

The final will be interesting in as much as a case can be made for both teams, SA hammered NZ at Twickenham just before the World Cup, SA beat hosts France whilst NZ were well beaten by France in the group stage, NZ got better since then but only faced one tough game which they only just won against a team that managed to beat the Springbok but on balance of play I thought both were of a similar standard against Ireland but South Africa were better against France than NZ was.
In one respect it was hard to judge NZ semi final because the ref didn't seem to give Argentina any decisions at all.
Could it come down to the weather we think of South Africa being warm and dry and New Zealand as being wet and windy would their players prefer weather conditions they are more used too.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:45 - Oct 22 with 1155 viewsunion_jack

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:31 - Oct 22 by trampie

It was anti rugby by the English they deserved to fail, only two chances for a try in the match that I can remember both to South Africa the try they scored was one and the Le Roux kick through that run dead before he could touch it down was the other and that was it, unless I fell asleep, same old England just played for penalties and drop goals.

These games are all about doing what you have to do to win. Ok, it didn’t work but they won’t care about anti rugby as you call it. They very nearly made a WC final, a side that were written off ore-WC and had SA sweating. That said, England aren’t in the top 4 sides in the world, Ireland and France head and shoulders above but they showed guts and resilience and even the most one eyed observer (that will be you!!) will know that they were robbed of that win.

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:48 - Oct 22 with 1135 viewstrampie

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:45 - Oct 22 by union_jack

These games are all about doing what you have to do to win. Ok, it didn’t work but they won’t care about anti rugby as you call it. They very nearly made a WC final, a side that were written off ore-WC and had SA sweating. That said, England aren’t in the top 4 sides in the world, Ireland and France head and shoulders above but they showed guts and resilience and even the most one eyed observer (that will be you!!) will know that they were robbed of that win.

Robbed what are you talking about ? SA won fair and square with no controversy.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:21 - Oct 22 with 1118 viewsunion_jack

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:48 - Oct 22 by trampie

Robbed what are you talking about ? SA won fair and square with no controversy.

I’m talking about England leading for almost all the game then losing it with 2 mins to go.

You could look at the penalty given against England that Pollard scored as given the wrong way but they’re difficult to referee.

I’d love to see your reaction to this game if it were Wales not England.

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:28 - Oct 22 with 1088 viewstrampie

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:21 - Oct 22 by union_jack

I’m talking about England leading for almost all the game then losing it with 2 mins to go.

You could look at the penalty given against England that Pollard scored as given the wrong way but they’re difficult to referee.

I would have said Wales did not deserve to win, just like I said Wales did not deserve to beat Argentina in the quarters.

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:46 - Oct 22 with 1095 viewstheloneranger

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:21 - Oct 22 by union_jack

It did happen to us in the 2019 semi final, with Pollard kicking a winning penalty (19-16) with just over 3 mins left.

Again in the 2011 semi final v France (9-8) the opposite happened - Halfpenny missing a long range penalty late in the game - after Jones hit the post from an easy conversion.

I thought England were very lucky not to be yellow carded for 4 straight scrum penalties - especially after the warnings from the ref.

I thought bringing on Pollard so early in the match was a turning point for SA, as were their scrum subs.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:47 - Oct 22 with 1066 viewsonehunglow

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:41 - Oct 22 by union_jack

Didn’t say I liked the R, far from it. I’m just saying it the way I saw it.

Play like that next week and NZ will shank them. But they won’t so it should be a good game🤞

Ok la. No probs.
England were neither excellent or brilliant. Same with SA.
Dubious penalty was something to be expected
England benefitted in 2003.
Last night ,they didn’t
Pollard has as much ice in the veins as the much lauded Pie Eater .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:12 - Oct 22 with 1043 viewsjack247

Just me, or does anyone else find South Africas tactics mind numbing?

Appreciate you do what you have to do to win, they’ve done it for years and they are in the final. It was tense, because the result was in the balance all the way through, but rugby should be more than just a game of physicality and attrition.

England weren’t much better, but at least they engaged their back every now and then.
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:39 - Oct 22 with 1028 viewsunion_jack

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:12 - Oct 22 by jack247

Appreciate you do what you have to do to win, they’ve done it for years and they are in the final. It was tense, because the result was in the balance all the way through, but rugby should be more than just a game of physicality and attrition.

England weren’t much better, but at least they engaged their back every now and then.

As you say, you play the tactics to win the game.

Did you see them against France last week? Different SA.

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:50 - Oct 22 with 1023 viewsonehunglow

Great backs and in De Allende a monster carrier .
As for Cheslin, it’s like cruelty to see him scratchy for ball

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:55 - Oct 22 with 1024 viewsjack247

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:39 - Oct 22 by union_jack

As you say, you play the tactics to win the game.

Did you see them against France last week? Different SA.

It was the only QF I didn’t see. Wales v Croatia took precedence.

Hopefully that SA turn up in the final then. Be a shame to see them try to smother the game.

I don’t blame them, it’s just not fun to watch.
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:46 - Oct 22 with 1001 viewsTogg

Yes is the answer they play really conservative stuff. Which most of the time works. The odd thing is they have decent runners in the backs. Their tactics are borderline sometimes.
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:43 - Oct 22 with 976 viewsonehunglow

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:46 - Oct 22 by Togg

Yes is the answer they play really conservative stuff. Which most of the time works. The odd thing is they have decent runners in the backs. Their tactics are borderline sometimes.

I git to grips with their anthem too.
It’s. Bugger with those African languages ,Toggy

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:21 - Oct 22 with 937 viewsFireboy2

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:08 - Oct 21 by Togg

It was dreadful anti Rugby which SA are famous for. Which is a pity as they can move the ball with terrific wingers. However that's their mind set. New Zealand will play great attacking Rugby next week and will win the competition, if there's any justice .

England dragged the boks down to their level, the weather helped them though.

Would have been a totally different scoreline if it was a dry night.

Do not ever underestimate the boks, I'm hoping for a dry night next week as last nights game was a shocking advertisement for union.
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:14 - Oct 22 with 918 viewsunion_jack

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:21 - Oct 22 by Fireboy2

England dragged the boks down to their level, the weather helped them though.

Would have been a totally different scoreline if it was a dry night.

Do not ever underestimate the boks, I'm hoping for a dry night next week as last nights game was a shocking advertisement for union.

A shocking advertisement for me? What did I do??

😂

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread (n/t) on 19:32 - Oct 22 with 914 viewsFireboy2

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:08 - Oct 21 by Togg

It was dreadful anti Rugby which SA are famous for. Which is a pity as they can move the ball with terrific wingers. However that's their mind set. New Zealand will play great attacking Rugby next week and will win the competition, if there's any justice .

[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 19:38]
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:37 - Oct 22 with 904 viewsFireboy2

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:46 - Oct 22 by Togg

They didn't play conservatively in the 2019 final.
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:47 - Oct 22 with 891 viewsmajorraglan

Last nights game was tense, but a very poor advertisement for RU. Weather was awful last night and that suited England as they’ve a decent kicking game but not much else. They are pretty one dimensional and couldn’t score a try against Argentina nor could they get one against SA last night. I’m hoping for a decent final, but not bothered who wins as I don’t like NZ or SA.

I expect them to beat Argentina in the 3rd place play off.
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:48 - Oct 22 with 889 viewsonehunglow

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:47 - Oct 22 by majorraglan

Last nights game was tense, but a very poor advertisement for RU. Weather was awful last night and that suited England as they’ve a decent kicking game but not much else. They are pretty one dimensional and couldn’t score a try against Argentina nor could they get one against SA last night. I’m hoping for a decent final, but not bothered who wins as I don’t like NZ or SA.

I expect them to beat Argentina in the 3rd place play off.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.
Got rather upset to see France like that

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:35 - Oct 23 with 814 viewsTogg

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:37 - Oct 22 by Fireboy2

They didn't play conservatively in the 2019 final.

Correct but many of their games leading up to final were. Which is what amazes me . They can play some good stuff.
The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:02 - Oct 23 with 799 viewsonehunglow

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:35 - Oct 23 by Togg

Correct but many of their games leading up to final were. Which is what amazes me . They can play some good stuff.

They have powerful centres and lethally fast wings
Reasons enough

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:35 - Oct 23 with 790 viewsonehunglow

So wit Kant then not white cxxxt?

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:36 - Oct 23 with 719 viewsmax936

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:35 - Oct 23 by onehunglow

So wit Kant then not white cxxxt?

I just don't see it, the Black Africana's have suffered enough racism in their lives so I'd like to believe that Mbonambi wouldn't have used the words that Curry believes he did.

Perhaps I'm being naïve

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:50 - Oct 23 with 709 viewsonehunglow

The 2023 Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:36 - Oct 23 by max936

I just don't see it, the Black Africana's have suffered enough racism in their lives so I'd like to believe that Mbonambi wouldn't have used the words that Curry believes he did.

Perhaps I'm being naïve

On the other hand, Curry is white and he did something to annoy him.
Let’s not forget Afrikaners decades of brutal apartheid .
Takes a long time to heal
Many problems these days in SA .
The proud to be South Africans are often those who buggered off when Whites lost power .
[Post edited 23 Oct 2023 20:52]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024