Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? 14:13 - Oct 22 with 8564 viewsKeithHaynes

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:08 - Oct 27 with 1298 viewsKeithHaynes

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:53 - Oct 27 by EagleEye

Not disputing the figures, just gobsmacked to put it mildly !!

I agree with you

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 00:52 - Oct 28 with 1221 viewsRichardO

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:08 - Oct 27 by KeithHaynes

I agree with you

Early on in the season he made mistakes with substitutions but he made the substitutions because he thought things weren't right , again he made changes after the Leicester game because he didn't thing things were right in that game and tried to improve it, didn't work for the Watford game , sometimes one step back then two steps forward, we shall see with the Blackburn game.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 17:08 - Oct 28 with 1139 viewsmax936

He needs some help from the club t0 bring in players to give us a stronger squad, need an AM worthy of the name and a winger with pace, in fact we need more pace in the team.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 18:44 - Oct 28 with 1063 viewsDr_Winston

My opinion isn't really shifting.

We've played some really good stuff over the last month or so. For about 40-50 minutes either side of half time there was only one team in it today.

The signs are there that we're moving in the right direction, but now and again they were there under Russy too. The question is will Duff learn from his mistakes when Martin couldn't?

As it is, one or two quality additions in the right position would give Duff options and us at least as good a chance as most of the rest of the division of finishing in the top six.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:53 - Oct 28 with 1019 viewsFireboy2

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 18:44 - Oct 28 by Dr_Winston

My opinion isn't really shifting.

We've played some really good stuff over the last month or so. For about 40-50 minutes either side of half time there was only one team in it today.

The signs are there that we're moving in the right direction, but now and again they were there under Russy too. The question is will Duff learn from his mistakes when Martin couldn't?

As it is, one or two quality additions in the right position would give Duff options and us at least as good a chance as most of the rest of the division of finishing in the top six.

Yeah additions should include wingers with pace as there was sooooo many times today we had so much space definitely on the right to put a line ball to put their defence under pressure.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:00 - Oct 28 with 1003 viewsDr_Winston

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 19:53 - Oct 28 by Fireboy2

Yeah additions should include wingers with pace as there was sooooo many times today we had so much space definitely on the right to put a line ball to put their defence under pressure.

I thought Lowe was excellent today. Aggressive, skilful and hardworking. As neat as Cullen's finish was, a player like Ginelly in the same role could have offered us more. I am intrigued by the suggestions that when Key is fit we play him in that right hand role.

For me we're weakest in midfield, and have been since the season kicked off. When everyone is fit and available we can get away with it, but as we saw on Tuesday, just one change can cause problems.

That's not me ragging on Fulton. He's a player that I've always liked and defended more often than not on here, but he can't play with Grimes, and based on current form Grimes has to play. If Patino needs a break then we need other options. Likewise with Paterson. Oli Cooper is a popular, hardworking player but again, a bit more quality could make a hell of a difference to us.

Oh for a 2023 version of the Dobster.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:05 - Oct 28 with 998 viewsFireboy2

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:00 - Oct 28 by Dr_Winston

I thought Lowe was excellent today. Aggressive, skilful and hardworking. As neat as Cullen's finish was, a player like Ginelly in the same role could have offered us more. I am intrigued by the suggestions that when Key is fit we play him in that right hand role.

For me we're weakest in midfield, and have been since the season kicked off. When everyone is fit and available we can get away with it, but as we saw on Tuesday, just one change can cause problems.

That's not me ragging on Fulton. He's a player that I've always liked and defended more often than not on here, but he can't play with Grimes, and based on current form Grimes has to play. If Patino needs a break then we need other options. Likewise with Paterson. Oli Cooper is a popular, hardworking player but again, a bit more quality could make a hell of a difference to us.

Lowe showed so maturity today, he kept the ball when needed and passed at the right times but his best trait today was trapping and holding the ball, he has improved out of sight since the debacle at scumdiff.

I disagree re midfield being the weakest, it's upfront where we are lacking and that is simply wingers with pace, to give an outlet from the defenders or a slide rule pass by a midfielder.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:46 - Oct 28 with 979 viewsDr_Winston

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:05 - Oct 28 by Fireboy2

Lowe showed so maturity today, he kept the ball when needed and passed at the right times but his best trait today was trapping and holding the ball, he has improved out of sight since the debacle at scumdiff.

I disagree re midfield being the weakest, it's upfront where we are lacking and that is simply wingers with pace, to give an outlet from the defenders or a slide rule pass by a midfielder.

I wouldn't disagree that Ginelly has been a huge miss, but it's one that we could get away with more easily if we had plenty of options in the middle.

It's not a coincidence that the sight of a Fulton/Grimes midfield is met with a multitude of groans by so many people. We need a proper alternative to both Patino and Paterson to give Duff options if he needs to rest/replace either of them.

Cooper's not it either.

Login to get fewer ads

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 22:31 - Oct 28 with 936 viewsunion_jack

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:05 - Oct 28 by Fireboy2

Lowe has excelled every time I’ve seen him this season (and I thought it was a mistake bringing him back!) but I was screaming for him to take it into the corner with 90 secs of added time left.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2023 22:39]

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 23:08 - Oct 28 with 888 viewsonehunglow

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 22:31 - Oct 28 by union_jack

Lowe has excelled every time I’ve seen him this season (and I thought it was a mistake bringing him back!) but I was screaming for him to take it into the corner with 90 secs of added time left.

Yeah,that could have gone tits up big time

He’s a good lad for sure

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 00:11 - Oct 29 with 855 viewsFireboy2

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 22:31 - Oct 28 by union_jack

I wasn't, I wanted him to go for it, he did and we nearly scored 😁
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 07:00 - Oct 29 with 812 viewsRichardO

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 20:00 - Oct 28 by Dr_Winston

Would question the statement with regards to our weakness in the midfield you could say that with regards to attacking play it is our strongest but as a defensive unit it has it's weaknesses Paterson has improved his tracking back and covering but given the work rate asked and his age is very unlikely to last the full ninety minutes at that intensity, Grimes we have seen is a different player when not being the only focus of our play making, meaning he cannot be targeted so easily and his instinct to drop back deep nurtured by both Steve Cooper and Martin while good in most ways can leave the middle a bit exposed when good opposition move the ball quickly and have pace, Patino has been a good addition to the squad helping the play making to relieve the pressure off Grimes but still young and lacking a bit of experience.

I do appreciate the lack of depth in the middle of the park but with the return from injury of Cabango , Pederson and Key could both Key and Tymon be used in different roles if need be, so adding the the defensive strength of the midfield as well as keeping the attacking element, could they be the answer, they both have pace and experience,could they be used to good affect attacking wise like Manning also when needed to keep our resilience.
Who is to say some of loan players won't be recalled, the loss of any one of Humpreys Patino, Ashby and Rushworth
would be a blow.
So we do need to add to our squad but for what players Forwards? Cullen who is scoring goals? Yesterday's goal a solo effort or did the space open up because of Ashby's overlapping run. Yates? Who we already have similar player in Cullen and a different option in Mykola, hope his injury isn't serious and a one off.
Can Liam Walsh stay fit and relieve Paterson on the 70 minute mark or can Ollie Cooper be helped to refine his game, he worked well with Piroe last year attacking wise and did a lot of covering defensively for Manning last year.

Duff's preferred option at the moment is to stick with Fulton to bolster the defence alongside Grimes that seems to work away, three win and a unlucky draw in the last four but not so well at home but remember we approached the Leicester game differently and made changes for the Watford game one because of injury but one which seemed as if it was not really needed.

Have we got a number of players from the development squad able to add to the team? Duff has brought Sam Parker , can Jasper give us some info on him and the rest of the youth prospects
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 08:54 - Oct 29 with 766 viewstheloneranger

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 09:04 - Oct 29 with 763 viewsDr_Winston

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 07:00 - Oct 29 by RichardO

Would question the statement with regards to our weakness in the midfield you could say that with regards to attacking play it is our strongest but as a defensive unit it has it's weaknesses Paterson has improved his tracking back and covering but given the work rate asked and his age is very unlikely to last the full ninety minutes at that intensity, Grimes we have seen is a different player when not being the only focus of our play making, meaning he cannot be targeted so easily and his instinct to drop back deep nurtured by both Steve Cooper and Martin while good in most ways can leave the middle a bit exposed when good opposition move the ball quickly and have pace, Patino has been a good addition to the squad helping the play making to relieve the pressure off Grimes but still young and lacking a bit of experience.

I do appreciate the lack of depth in the middle of the park but with the return from injury of Cabango , Pederson and Key could both Key and Tymon be used in different roles if need be, so adding the the defensive strength of the midfield as well as keeping the attacking element, could they be the answer, they both have pace and experience,could they be used to good affect attacking wise like Manning also when needed to keep our resilience.
Who is to say some of loan players won't be recalled, the loss of any one of Humpreys Patino, Ashby and Rushworth
would be a blow.
So we do need to add to our squad but for what players Forwards? Cullen who is scoring goals? Yesterday's goal a solo effort or did the space open up because of Ashby's overlapping run. Yates? Who we already have similar player in Cullen and a different option in Mykola, hope his injury isn't serious and a one off.
Can Liam Walsh stay fit and relieve Paterson on the 70 minute mark or can Ollie Cooper be helped to refine his game, he worked well with Piroe last year attacking wise and did a lot of covering defensively for Manning last year.

Duff's preferred option at the moment is to stick with Fulton to bolster the defence alongside Grimes that seems to work away, three win and a unlucky draw in the last four but not so well at home but remember we approached the Leicester game differently and made changes for the Watford game one because of injury but one which seemed as if it was not really needed.

Have we got a number of players from the development squad able to add to the team? Duff has brought Sam Parker , can Jasper give us some info on him and the rest of the youth prospects

Fulton and Grimes worked in the sense that we didn't lose. In terms of seeing the game out comfortably it didn't work at all, as it never does. As for "Cullen is scoring goals", yesterday's strike brought him level on goals for the season with Ginelly, who hasn't played since mid September.

As it stands we're an injury to Patino away from having to rely on a Grimes/Fulton midfield for who knows how long. To me it's a massive flashing red light and the biggest danger we face at the moment in terms of squad weakness.

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 09:41 - Oct 29 with 739 viewsRichardO

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 09:04 - Oct 29 by Dr_Winston

Fulton and Grimes worked in the sense that we didn't lose. In terms of seeing the game out comfortably it didn't work at all, as it never does. As for "Cullen is scoring goals", yesterday's strike brought him level on goals for the season with Ginelly, who hasn't played since mid September.

As it stands we're an injury to Patino away from having to rely on a Grimes/Fulton midfield for who knows how long. To me it's a massive flashing red light and the biggest danger we face at the moment in terms of squad weakness.

With regards to the Grimes, Fulton partnership to work you need a third man in there to tidy things up doing the some of the defensive work as well as getting forward. It worked with Connor Gallagher, to some extent with Corey Smith although he did get a nose bleed when he found himself in space further up the park, it didn't work with Connor Hourihane you need a player who is a lot more mobile and happy to get in the thick of things.
Both Fulton and Grimes look threatening as they push forward but both seem to have it ingrained in them to drop deeper and don't think now you can carry both in the team.
The change of the team for the Watford game also weakened us also due to the Key loss with Ashby's return being very cautious given his previous game where he struggled, making us very defensive against a team that were there for the taking who grew into the game and to be fair the strike was a one off that even the excellent Rushworth had little chance of saving.
Maybe if we hadn't dropped so deep against Leicester things might have been different.
As for Cullen he is not playing in his best position, isn't he a left footer playing on the right would he be more comfortable on the left swapping with Lowe who I think is right footed, Cullen is also playing out wide not the best position for a goal poacher although he has provided a good cross, assist for our other strker whose presence has been questioned.
Ginelly has a different skill set to Cullen maybe we will find out if he is as good as we think he is next year?
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 10:42 - Oct 29 with 700 viewsTreforys_Jack

Dr W and Richard O are both on fire in this thread, awesome posts and difficult to disagree with anything said.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:39 - Oct 29 with 651 viewsjacksfullaces

although the thread is no longer about the quality of Duff, but the quality of our squad
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:48 - Oct 29 with 637 viewsguthrieintherain

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:39 - Oct 29 by jacksfullaces

although the thread is no longer about the quality of Duff, but the quality of our squad

Can only judge Duff on the results and 6 defeats from 14 games in a pretty ordinary league is average.
So a disappointing start for me but hopeful Duff and the team will come good.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:49 - Oct 29 with 634 viewsJJJack

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 10:42 - Oct 29 by Treforys_Jack

Dr W and Richard O are both on fire in this thread, awesome posts and difficult to disagree with anything said.

Pato has scored once in his last 53 league apps for us.....:o

Gets a free pass off a lot of people. Strange
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:54 - Oct 29 with 631 viewsFireboy2

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:49 - Oct 29 by JJJack

You obviously haven't watched him this season then?

He doesn't need to score, just setting them up is good enough for me.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:55 - Oct 29 with 631 viewsjacksfullaces

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:48 - Oct 29 by guthrieintherain

Can only judge Duff on the results and 6 defeats from 14 games in a pretty ordinary league is average.

I guess in that regard the squad might come into it as it sets your expectations bar for Duff.

I'm not excited by the football I've seen but there have been patches/moments that show it could evolve into something both that wins and entertains, the magic combo that most are looking for.

Most evaluation is based on the last handful of results though, so ultimately for all the subjective stuff as a fan, that is what will ultimately determine our ratings. 5 points off the play offs, 6 off relegation. I'd say he must be above average on that showing and my feeling the squad is not an obvious promotion one anymore.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:58 - Oct 29 with 625 viewsjack247

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:48 - Oct 29 by guthrieintherain

Said similar earlier in the thread. The complication is that if you split the 14 games into 2 blocks of 7, he won zero from the first 7, wouldn’t have kept his job at some clubs, then 5 from 7, which is phenomenal.

Both the Watford and Blackburn games could have gone either way. I like the formation, think he needs to find the right balance in midfield and he’ll have a very competitive team.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 12:17 - Oct 29 with 611 viewsTreforys_Jack

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:49 - Oct 29 by JJJack

The same Pato who got slammed last season..... Maybe its because he's playing really well so far this season.
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 12:27 - Oct 29 with 596 viewsRichardO

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:39 - Oct 29 by jacksfullaces

Would say it what is being discussed how Duff has picked and choosen his teams from the quality of the squad he has at the time of picking it and whether he sees the short comings and benefits of players of the squad and has he learnt how to get the best out of them while having to deal with all the incoming and outgoings and the effect of injuries all of which have added to his differculties
How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 13:02 - Oct 29 with 569 viewsJJJack

How do you rate Michael Duff so far ? on 11:54 - Oct 29 by Fireboy2

You obviously haven't watched him this season then?

He doesn't need to score, just setting them up is good enough for me.

I have - he's playing well of late. But 1 in 53? That's howling.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024