Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When Saturday Comes - March 2024. 12:29 - Feb 12 with 508 viewsbwildered

While you loiter in WH Smith, probably in the Post Office queues, grab the latest edition of WSC football magazine March 2024. Page 39 should grab your attention regards arrested players, with an article on Mel Blyth’s game for Millwall at Layer Rd which made national headlines.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 12:50 - Feb 12 with 486 viewsdurham_exile

bwildered when I saw the headline, I thought you had repeated Wessex' blog title from a couple of seasons ago.

I will hunt out a copy of the magazine.

Although I rarely go to WH Smith.

We have an excellent newsagents in town that I will seek it out from.

Up the U's
[Post edited 12 Feb 22:25]

Durham_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 13:26 - Feb 12 with 474 viewsMoor_Pinot

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 12:50 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

bwildered when I saw the headline, I thought you had repeated Wessex' blog title from a couple of seasons ago.

Up the U's

I love proper newsagents Durham. Having missed them from France where they were incredible places we actually have a brilliant independent here in Liskeard. I could take a fishing stool in and still be there an hour later!!

Moor Pinot

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 20:47 - Feb 12 with 413 viewswessex_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 12:50 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Must admit, had to do a double-take on this one - thought someone had dug out a blog from several years ago to comment on

I was an early subscriber to WSC, back when it was much more of a fanzine than a football magazine and certainly more humorous. I stuck with it for quite a few years, but eventually cancelled my subscription when it became a more mainstream 'world football' magazine. Most of the articles by that point held little or no interest to me, but maybe I'll grab a copy next time I see one on the shelves and have another look.

Totally agree though, as a young boy I spent my formative years doing a paper round, and back then newsagents were very much at the heart of a community, and yes Moor_Pinot, I could lose hours browsing. I guess the internet is the biggest factor in their decline these days.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 21:46 - Feb 12 with 405 viewsdurham_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 13:26 - Feb 12 by Moor_Pinot

I love proper newsagents Durham. Having missed them from France where they were incredible places we actually have a brilliant independent here in Liskeard. I could take a fishing stool in and still be there an hour later!!

Totally agree Pinot, our newsagent is real old school and they can get probably get any publication.

Barnard Castle is similar in size I would imagine to Liskeard and we have a number of unique shops.

A card shop which is excellent, an old fashioned iron mongers and so on.

We also have a furniture shop which has another branch in Richmond North Yorkshire, old fashioned service and some beautiful bespoke furniture.

There is also an upmarket store called Niche which stocks most high end brands.
I often window shop but can't afford the farrow and ball paint!

Great stuff.

Durham_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 22:00 - Feb 12 with 402 viewsdurham_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 20:47 - Feb 12 by wessex_exile

Must admit, had to do a double-take on this one - thought someone had dug out a blog from several years ago to comment on

I was an early subscriber to WSC, back when it was much more of a fanzine than a football magazine and certainly more humorous. I stuck with it for quite a few years, but eventually cancelled my subscription when it became a more mainstream 'world football' magazine. Most of the articles by that point held little or no interest to me, but maybe I'll grab a copy next time I see one on the shelves and have another look.

Totally agree though, as a young boy I spent my formative years doing a paper round, and back then newsagents were very much at the heart of a community, and yes Moor_Pinot, I could lose hours browsing. I guess the internet is the biggest factor in their decline these days.

Like you Wessex I did a paper round.

Growing up in London most people had a daily paper delivered.

I used to deliver 119 papers per day and that was only two streets in Freezywater Enfield

I was paid 15/- a week.
When I finished after x number of years I used to get a guinea a week.

However at Christmas the tips were tremendous in addition to the ones in the shop which were shared amongst the lads many of the homeowners used to give me money and tell me to keep it for myself.

I bought the Airfix magazine, Speedway star magazine, Angling Times and a football paper which I have forgotten the name of.

I used to save my money and buy Airfix soldiers and Subbuteo teams from Lewingtons an old fashioned toy shop in Enfield Highway.

I also bought a couple of Mamod Traction Engines at that time
Together with Triang Hornby locomotives and rolling stock.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - don't you believe it.

Durham_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 22:14 - Feb 12 with 397 viewsmfb_cufc

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 21:46 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

Totally agree Pinot, our newsagent is real old school and they can get probably get any publication.

Barnard Castle is similar in size I would imagine to Liskeard and we have a number of unique shops.

A card shop which is excellent, an old fashioned iron mongers and so on.

We also have a furniture shop which has another branch in Richmond North Yorkshire, old fashioned service and some beautiful bespoke furniture.

There is also an upmarket store called Niche which stocks most high end brands.
I often window shop but can't afford the farrow and ball paint!

Great stuff.

Not to mention the high quality optician, where you can test to see if you are fit for driving. 😉

mfb

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 22:29 - Feb 12 with 380 viewsdurham_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 22:14 - Feb 12 by mfb_cufc

Not to mention the high quality optician, where you can test to see if you are fit for driving. 😉

Mick - Castle Cards has made a fortune from sales of fake Optician's charts plus other memorabilia.

The Town still "benefits" from that lunatic with summer visitors keen to see the places that he allegedly drove his family when his eyesight was "tested".

Up the U's

Durham_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 00:27 - Feb 13 with 372 viewswessex_exile

When Saturday Comes - March 2024. on 22:29 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

Mick - Castle Cards has made a fortune from sales of fake Optician's charts plus other memorabilia.

The Town still "benefits" from that lunatic with summer visitors keen to see the places that he allegedly drove his family when his eyesight was "tested".

Up the U's

Hey, nothing wrong with going for a drive to check if your eyesight is okay…apparently.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024