Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Harley 20:38 - Mar 17 with 377 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Better known to those of us who worked with him many years ago as Stephen Nice.

I was driving into Suffolk today when the very sad news of his passing came up on my daughter's phone.

Steve worked for Essex County Newspapers back in the early seventies on several titles including The Evening Gazette, The Braintree and Witham Times and The Maldon and Burnham Standard.

Several years later he had a number one hit with 'Make me Smile ( Come up and see me ).

This just has to be one of the most perfect recordings ever - just sublime. I always wanted to use it in something and came very close to doing so in 2008. The licence for its use ( in the context intended ) was £4,000 and seemed like very good value. We had a change of musical direction but l have returned to this song time and again over the years and it always brings sunshine and light.

The story l was told by a young lady who used to be a colleague of Steve is that he wrote the song about her coming up the stairs of his flat on Sheregate Steps in Colchester.

I have heard other theories of how the song originated but Ms Freeman seemed positive that the lyrics evolved from her visits.

Either way, Steve Harley made a telling contribution to the music scene and his music will live on forever.
[Post edited 17 Mar 20:43]
Steve Harley on 21:36 - Mar 17 with 343 viewswessex_exile

Exceptionally sad news, Make Me Smile was a seminal track of the 70s that has endured down through the ages - we even had it on our wedding playlist. I was always under the belief that it was written in a flat around the back of the (then) Colne Lodge, but never with any evidence to back it up, so Ms Freeman's account kind of rings true? I always thought he was an Old Gilberdian too, but there seems to be less evidence of that tbh.

RIP the original Cockney Rebel.

Always worth another listen, despite the sad occasion

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Steve Harley on 22:44 - Mar 17 with 325 viewsburnsieespana

Close connectiobs with Radio Caroline (still broadcasting on 648mw) as was a friend of Ronan O'Rhailey and also Radio Veronica.
[Post edited 17 Mar 22:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024