Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tired of football cliches in the media? 15:40 - Feb 28 with 1509 viewscoolranger

Do others notice just how often the same phrases or statements are used by football media, pundits and players / managers? Let me jog some memories....

1. Ever noticed how invariably the full term 'the football club' is used in description on radio in particular, rather than just 'the club', when it's obvious what the subject matter is? Tiresome

2. 'At the end of the day blah blah blah....' - just so lazy and bland to use this. Try something different for heaven's sake, like 'ultimately', 'eventually' etc

Any other contributions?

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:04 - Feb 28 with 1069 viewsblacky200

More from Footballers themselves but how about the following.
1. Like added in every sentence.
2. You know or you know what I mean (say no more there)

Those drive me mad.
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:08 - Feb 28 with 1060 viewsBluce_Ree

"like you said/say" especially when the interviewer said no such thing.

to be fair, everything footballers say is stupid anyway.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:09 - Feb 28 with 1058 viewsrobith

What winds me up is the cycle the media creates

Player/club has a few bad games:

PLAYER/CLUB IN CRISIS!!!!!

Then when player/club win a game with a ball deflecting in off a prone man's lower back in a game resembling goalball (but without the panache)

PLAYER/CLUB FIRES ANSWERS CRITICS!!!

Yes, YOU! You are the critics! You are the ones creating this never ending circle of cow's excrement

Also - "he's not that sort of player" - well he clearly is otherwise you wouldn't have to defend him, would you

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:11 - Feb 28 with 1052 viewsTheBlob

"Stay on your feet" makes me sick as a parrot.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:12 - Feb 28 with 1049 viewsrobith

Also stonewall penalty. Where on earth did this nonsense expression come from? Was the tackle so bad it denied a gay man his job? Or held back an assault from the Union army?
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:14 - Feb 28 with 1044 viewsWatford_Ranger

Dean Sturridge on the Fox Sports refers to every foreign player by their nationality every time.

Footballers saying they want to 'stay and fight for a place' when they really mean 'noone else will give me more dough'.
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:17 - Feb 28 with 1039 viewsBluce_Ree

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:14 - Feb 28 by Watford_Ranger

Dean Sturridge on the Fox Sports refers to every foreign player by their nationality every time.

Footballers saying they want to 'stay and fight for a place' when they really mean 'noone else will give me more dough'.

I've just remembered my most hated one!!!

PLAYER OUT FOR THE SEASON (when there are like 3 weeks of the season left).

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:18 - Feb 28 with 1038 viewshopphoops

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:14 - Feb 28 by Watford_Ranger

Interviewer: Are massive salaries ruining football, Neville?

Neville Southall: "Well you know like, money's not what we get out of bed for at the end of the day"

also - "to be fair" though that's not just a football thing, to be fair.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Login to get fewer ads

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:20 - Feb 28 with 1035 viewsShotKneesHoop

Worst cliche is "with all due respect" which means the exact opposite.
Such as "With all due respect,
......... QPR have a ground that can only seat 18,000.
....... . had to put up with the Greasy Italian waiter for 9 years.
......... had Tango and Cash for two years
......... are a small / West London / cramped / old fashioned / out of date / poorly supported club ... i.e not Liverpool, Man U, Arse ....

Translate all that into "with no respect whatsoever" and it's about right.
Shearer, Hansen, Clarridges, are shockers at using this.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:21 - Feb 28 with 1032 viewsblacky200

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:18 - Feb 28 by hopphoops

Interviewer: Are massive salaries ruining football, Neville?

Neville Southall: "Well you know like, money's not what we get out of bed for at the end of the day"

also - "to be fair" though that's not just a football thing, to be fair.

The other one I can't stand is when someone answers a question starting with obviously. Well if it was that bloody obvious mate I wouldn't ask the f**king question.
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:21 - Feb 28 with 1031 viewsN12Hoop

It's a game of two halves
This game needs a goal. Err tell me one that couldnt do with a goal.
He'll be disappointed with that. Really? I thought he'd be fckng ecstatic that he blasted the ball over from 2 feet!

I also think all post-match interviews should be banned.
Qu. "You must be happy with that win".
Ans "no I'm fckng gutted"

Qu. "Can you win the leaguecup etc?
Ans" no we're shiite"

I mean what is the point in asking a question when you know the answer before asking it? Post match interviews are just utter bollox unless its Ian Holloway.

You know what i mean, right?

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:23 - Feb 28 with 1030 viewskensalriser

Unplayable.

I mean, wtf. A player with a broken leg is literally unplayable. That's clumsy enough in itself but any other definition is made up nonsense.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:26 - Feb 28 with 1022 viewshopphoops

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 16:23 - Feb 28 by kensalriser

Unplayable.

I mean, wtf. A player with a broken leg is literally unplayable. That's clumsy enough in itself but any other definition is made up nonsense.

the only time a football might be unplayable would be if it really "stood up nicely"

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:01 - Feb 28 with 1002 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The most annoying 'for me' is the phrase 'for me'.

In the Punditese language, it has replaced the expressions 'in my opinion', 'I think' and 'I believe'.

English: I think Torres isn't scoring enough goals.
Punditese equivelant: Torres isn't scoring enough goals for me.

To which the obvious comment is that he's probably not scoring enough goals for anyone! And he's not even paid to score them 'for you'. He's paid to score them for Chelsea. Should he regain his goalscoring touch, I can't help thinking he'd dash off down the Bridge as quick as his legs could take him and score them down there. He would, I believe, not rush to your garden and start scoring them for you in your three-and-in barbeque kickabout.

See also

"He's not working hard enough for me"
"There not winning enough games for me"
"He's not stupid enough to be a pundit, for me"

Ad nauseum....

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:36 - Feb 28 with 979 viewsMrSheen

"Be disappointed with"
Definitions
1) "should be ashamed of"
The cross came to him right in front of goal, but he'll be disappointed with that effort
2) "will be furious with"
The fans wanted a big effort from their team today, but they will disappointed with the response.
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:46 - Feb 28 with 972 viewsA40Bosh

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:01 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

In the Punditese language, it has replaced the expressions 'in my opinion', 'I think' and 'I believe'.

To which the obvious comment is that he's probably not scoring enough goals for anyone! And he's not even paid to score them 'for you'. He's paid to score them for Chelsea. Should he regain his goalscoring touch, I can't help thinking he'd dash off down the Bridge as quick as his legs could take him and score them down there. He would, I believe, not rush to your garden and start scoring them for you in your three-and-in barbeque kickabout.

See also

Ad nauseum....

"To which the obvious comment is that he's probably not scoring enough goals for anyone! And he's not even paid to score them 'for you'. He's paid to score them for Chelsea. Should he regain his goalscoring touch, I can't help thinking he'd dash off down the Bridge as quick as his legs could take him and score them down there. He would, I believe, not rush to your garden and start scoring them for you in your three-and-in barbeque kickabout."

When I read that paragraph full of short sentences and abrupt clauses, I began to hear Tommy Tiernan and maybe Ardal O'Hanlon saying it in my head. Made me laugh.

My pet hat coming from players (and I am surprised that no one else has already quoted it as far as I can see) is " blah blah blah.........so hopefully we can KICK ON NOW and blah blah......"

Jamie Mackie springs to mind as a chief offender for that one.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:47 - Feb 28 with 971 viewscoolranger

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:01 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

See also

Ad nauseum....

Just thought of one that drives me crackers...why do pundits always have to say things like, 'well at the end of the day they've got to stick the ball in the back of the net'?

The whole cliche thing reveals a general lack of intelligence (no surprise there!). It's incredibly lazy use of the English language, in which we are blessed because it is a very rich language offering us so many more options than other languages to express ourselves.

Not that any of these numpties would know that of course!
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:49 - Feb 28 with 965 viewsNW5Hoop

One that the appalling Jonathan Pearce introduced: "Watching on." As in: "The England manager's watching on from the stands." No, he's watching, or he's looking on. And now every other bloody commentator has copied it.
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:52 - Feb 28 with 961 viewscoolranger

That John Motson special when he covers the lineups, picks on a special fact and then ponders whether 'I wonder if that could be an omen?'

As in Arsenal last beat Rangers wearing yellow, I wonder if that could be an omen?
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:58 - Feb 28 with 954 viewsted_hendrix

Player on signing for new club;

1) "I've supported this club since I was a kid" (vomit)
2) "I've signed because of the Manager" (LOL)
3) "I've come hear to win things" (No chance)
4) "I've come here because of the ambition of the club" (No you cnt, you come here for the wedge)

Don't talk bolox you minge, just get us out of the shit and do what you're paid to do.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 18:03 - Feb 28 with 944 viewscoolranger

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 17:58 - Feb 28 by ted_hendrix

Player on signing for new club;

1) "I've supported this club since I was a kid" (vomit)
2) "I've signed because of the Manager" (LOL)
3) "I've come hear to win things" (No chance)
4) "I've come here because of the ambition of the club" (No you cnt, you come here for the wedge)

Don't talk bolox you minge, just get us out of the shit and do what you're paid to do.

I know Ted, one does cry out for some originality at times! Sadly not even our Joey seems able to deliver that!
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 18:14 - Feb 28 with 933 viewsNW5Hoop

Also, "ironically".
"And, ironically, he's scored against his former club!" No, you mean "coincidentally".
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 18:18 - Feb 28 with 927 viewsW7Ranger

It's a great question and to be fair, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other!

I've seen them given...

Handbags...

Hanson says ALWAYS says this about the winning/better performing team at HT & FT...

"pace, power, movement, technique, ability" and then goes on to describe the losing teams defending as "shaaawwking"! Oh, he likes to slip in a few "unbelievable's" too!

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 18:20 - Feb 28 with 921 viewsWhatTheF

I'm annoyed with Owen Coyle's constant reference to the league as "The Barclays Premier League". I know it's a bit trivial when comparing to Jamie Redknapp's "literally" and "top, top, top" patter.
Tired of football cliches in the media? on 18:30 - Feb 28 with 917 viewscoolranger

Tired of football cliches in the media? on 18:18 - Feb 28 by W7Ranger

It's a great question and to be fair, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other!

I've seen them given...

Handbags...

Hanson says ALWAYS says this about the winning/better performing team at HT & FT...

"pace, power, movement, technique, ability" and then goes on to describe the losing teams defending as "shaaawwking"! Oh, he likes to slip in a few "unbelievable's" too!

Hansen is pretty good as an analyst and would not want to be too harsh on him. Problem is football is actually quite a simple game and after so many years, like players, pundits kind of lose their freshness.

I really think Lawrenson adds nothing, and Hansen is starting to seem jaded. Shearer....what does he add? Thick or what!

Gary Neville on the other hand has surprised me as a breath of fresh air. Insightful, fair, quick.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024