Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
a good idea or a big risk 19:02 - Jan 2 with 1460 viewsolympicdale

either way, good on 'em for trying something new.

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/sport/football/morecambe-fc/poll-morecambe-announce-

Life is a game of fate.

a good idea or a big risk on 19:06 - Jan 2 with 1446 viewsmacro

It'll be an interesting one if they're crowd is sub 3500 or so, they'll realise some what ever they do they're fighting a losing battle
a good idea or a big risk on 19:12 - Jan 2 with 1409 viewsBuryhomenitebum

I wish they would do this at gigg lane it would show the world our famous club is well supported and would mean i could get in for free so i could instead go to more away games its been ages since ive been to an away game cos im saving up for a super special summer of football
a good idea or a big risk on 19:47 - Jan 2 with 1307 viewsolympicdale

a good idea or a big risk on 19:06 - Jan 2 by macro

It'll be an interesting one if they're crowd is sub 3500 or so, they'll realise some what ever they do they're fighting a losing battle

you wonder if we did it, would probably still struggle to get over 3000, you cant force people to attend, but least its some initiative by the club.

Life is a game of fate.

a good idea or a big risk on 21:18 - Jan 2 with 1184 viewspioneer

a good idea or a big risk on 19:47 - Jan 2 by olympicdale

you wonder if we did it, would probably still struggle to get over 3000, you cant force people to attend, but least its some initiative by the club.

I am not knocking their initiative for this but difficult to measure the success of reducing (or abolishing) admission prices. Few people want to stand (sit) out in the cold evening the first week in january watching a 'low level' game. A question worth asking is why would they rearrange the game for that particular date. Seems to me that a date later in the year would have been far preferable for most fans.

a good idea or a big risk on 21:24 - Jan 2 with 1167 viewsTVOS1907

a good idea or a big risk on 21:18 - Jan 2 by pioneer

I am not knocking their initiative for this but difficult to measure the success of reducing (or abolishing) admission prices. Few people want to stand (sit) out in the cold evening the first week in january watching a 'low level' game. A question worth asking is why would they rearrange the game for that particular date. Seems to me that a date later in the year would have been far preferable for most fans.

The Football League encourage postponed matches to be rearranged as soon as possible so it still leaves further blank dates for other potential rearrangements later in the season.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

a good idea or a big risk on 22:45 - Jan 2 with 1058 viewsolympicdale

a good idea or a big risk on 21:18 - Jan 2 by pioneer

as has been pointed out, so you dont get a back log of games.

Life is a game of fate.

a good idea or a big risk on 22:54 - Jan 2 with 1045 viewsphomem

a good idea or a big risk on 19:47 - Jan 2 by olympicdale

Initiative is good I reckon the likes of dale, dagenham and such will watch with interest
a good idea or a big risk on 23:05 - Jan 2 with 1031 viewspioneer

a good idea or a big risk on 21:24 - Jan 2 by TVOS1907

The Football League encourage postponed matches to be rearranged as soon as possible so it still leaves further blank dates for other potential rearrangements later in the season.

encoraging is one thing, requiring is something else. Over recent years Dale had several games called off in December or early January but didnt rearrange them until well into the second half of the season.

So does seem like Morecambe have chosen this date for the game.

I suppose the idea is to bring people in who will then come again so the success has to be measured not by how many show on the night but how many return for future home games. Good luck to them.
Login to get fewer ads

a good idea or a big risk on 23:49 - Jan 2 with 1003 viewsTVOS1907

a good idea or a big risk on 23:05 - Jan 2 by pioneer

encoraging is one thing, requiring is something else. Over recent years Dale had several games called off in December or early January but didnt rearrange them until well into the second half of the season.

So does seem like Morecambe have chosen this date for the game.

I suppose the idea is to bring people in who will then come again so the success has to be measured not by how many show on the night but how many return for future home games. Good luck to them.

Maybe 'encouraged' was the wrong word. Colin Garlick would tell you the same thing, however.

I think if you look at our winter postponements over, say, the last 10 years, most have initially been rearranged for January/February, when they have been played or called off again!

Look at the last 3 seasons, for example:

2009/10:
Rotherham (pp on 2 Jan, played on 2 Mar)
Aldershot (pp on 9 Jan, played on 19 Jan)
Port Vale (pp on 16 Jan, played on 26 Jan)
Notts Co (pp on 13 Feb, played on 20 Apr) - County already had loads of other rearranged games, which proved crucial in the long run

2010/11:
Charlton (pp on 4 Dec & pp on 29 Jan, played on 29 Mar)
Bournemouth (pp on 18 Dec, played on 18 Jan)
Notts Co (a) (pp on 26 Dec, played on 5 Apr) - County again had lots of other rearranged games due to an FA Cup run
Bristol R (pp on 28 Dec, played on 8 Feb)
Southampton (pp on 19 Feb, played on 12 Apr)

2011/12:
Tranmere (pp on 26 Dec, played on 17 Jan)
Charlton (pp on 4 Feb, played on 21 Feb)
Notts Co (pp on 11 Feb, played on 28 Feb)

They (the Football League and all clubs) also like to avoid clubs having three consecutive home/away games, as far as possible, which is another factor that can affect a suitable date.

Anyway, as far as Morecambe v Dagenham is concerned, Dagenham are at Accrington on Saturday, so they might even be staying in the North-West as it could be more financially viable than making another return journey.

Also, Morecambe don't play on Saturday, so it's probably a date that suits both clubs for different reasons.

But as you say, it's still an interesting experiment.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

a good idea or a big risk on 21:08 - Jan 8 with 703 viewsToffeemanc

Looks like this could have turned out to be a good decision from Morecambe. According to BBC website attendance at the game is 4029. If only half of them buy a drink and a pie then they will likely of covered the cost of lost gate money, and maybe even made a small profit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20880544

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

a good idea or a big risk on 22:22 - Jan 8 with 623 viewsphomem

a good idea or a big risk on 21:08 - Jan 8 by Toffeemanc

Looks like this could have turned out to be a good decision from Morecambe. According to BBC website attendance at the game is 4029. If only half of them buy a drink and a pie then they will likely of covered the cost of lost gate money, and maybe even made a small profit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20880544

Their largest league crowd ever, the question is how many return for the next home game
a good idea or a big risk on 22:34 - Jan 8 with 602 viewsolympicdale

a good idea or a big risk on 22:22 - Jan 8 by phomem

Their largest league crowd ever, the question is how many return for the next home game

even if say 500 turn up, its proved a good venture by the club, well done to 'em.

Life is a game of fate.

a good idea or a big risk on 22:36 - Jan 8 with 597 viewsphomem

a good idea or a big risk on 22:34 - Jan 8 by olympicdale

even if say 500 turn up, its proved a good venture by the club, well done to 'em.

I'm sure clubs like us, daggers and barnet will be watching carefully
a good idea or a big risk on 22:37 - Jan 8 with 594 viewsolympicdale

a good idea or a big risk on 22:36 - Jan 8 by phomem

I'm sure clubs like us, daggers and barnet will be watching carefully

may be if we mention it enough times on here, something will magically appear on the OS.

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024