Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving in Ireland 19:51 - Jan 24 with 2324 viewspomanjou

may be getting more dangerous particularly in certain area.

""Where else but in Ireland, where the pub life is woven into the country’s cultural fabric, would this happen?

Kerry County Council passed a motion Monday night for a permit system that would allow isolated rural people to drink over the legal limit and drive home.

County Mayor Terry O’Brien, however, stands opposed, charging that the ones who voted for the motion own pubs and have a vested interest in seeing relaxed standards.

The legal limit for fully licensed drivers is 0.05 (50 milligrams of alcohol per 100ml of blood).

The motion, tabled by Councillor Danny Healy-Rae, passed by a vote of 5-3.

Usually, there are 27 councillors in the chamber but it was a long day and the debate dragged into the night. In the end, there were only 12 or 13 councillors remaining and a handful abstained, the mayor said.

“The councillor who actually moved this owns a pub,” O’Brien told the Star. “And people who voted with him also own pubs.”

Before becoming law, the motion has to be approved by the Department of Justice – O’Brien doesn’t think the government will pass it.

O’Brien told the Star he fought hard against the motion because he’s worried about more carnage on the roads of Ireland and in County Kerry, which has a population of about 145,000 in the southwest part of the country.

In tabling the motion, Healy-Rae said that people living in rural areas cannot take public transit and have limited access to taxis.

He said he wants those with permits to be able to have two or three drinks (no more than that) and be exempt from the drinking laws.

Healy-Rae told the Star that he brought the motion because his constituents wanted it because they feel “trapped in their homes.”

He referred to some of these “lonely” people who developed depression and committed suicide.

Healy-Rae owns Jackie Healy-Rae’s pub on Main St., in Kilgarvin.

The controversial motion suggested that the police would have the discretion to issue these permits to allow certain people to drink up to three pints and drive home along a rural road at no more than 30 km/h.

“How would you begin to justify who had one pint and who had two?” the mayor told the Star.

O’Brien thinks the motion could have deadly consequences.

“I cannot imagine any person having the authority or experience to be able to judge a person after two or three pints,” O’Brien told the Star. “I think it’s absolute madness.”

National statistics show that Ireland’s road deaths have been falling annually as well as the number of people who are charged with driving while intoxicated.

The County Kerry mayor said he is sympathetic to isolated people in the rural areas.

“There’s an elderly population out there who are living alone. Unfortunately, I couldn’t support giving people this licence,” he said. “What happens when the first person is killed with this?”

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Driving in Ireland on 20:01 - Jan 24 with 1771 viewsTheBlob

From what I can remember about Kerry,there used to be little white crosses on the road just out of towns - you part the foliage on the side of the road and there's a little gravestone.People who had been run over or something - usually quite close to a bar.
Lovely place Co.Kerry...

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Driving in Ireland on 21:07 - Jan 24 with 1659 viewsBirchwood

I have a mate who lives in rural Co. Donegal. The only person that can get to the pub without driving is the landlord. Everybody drinks and drives and everybody knows it, police included. It is socially acceptable there.

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on.

Driving in Ireland on 21:27 - Jan 24 with 1616 viewsBlackCrowe

Driving in Ireland on 21:07 - Jan 24 by Birchwood

I have a mate who lives in rural Co. Donegal. The only person that can get to the pub without driving is the landlord. Everybody drinks and drives and everybody knows it, police included. It is socially acceptable there.

Similar in Co Clare

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Driving in Ireland on 23:27 - Jan 24 with 1497 viewsderbyhoop

Writing from Dublin, I've been made aware that many Kerry people think it's mad.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Driving in Ireland on 23:33 - Jan 24 with 1488 viewsted_hendrix

Try getting lost out in the wilds of Mayo (lol) hail Mary etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Driving in Ireland on 00:46 - Jan 25 with 1465 viewsPommyhoop

Driving in Ireland on 21:07 - Jan 24 by Birchwood

Mum and Dad are from Donegal so I can confirm this.The licencing laws are a personal thing for the landlord too

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Driving in Ireland on 01:20 - Jan 25 with 1450 viewsqprmick

Driving on London in the '60s was a snack, everyone would have been pissed behind the wheel, on the weekends at least. Traffic was a lot lighter then as it could be now in Ireland. It was very much part of our culture then 'n'all.

Qprmick

Driving in Ireland on 08:47 - Jan 25 with 1385 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Same thing in West Cork. The local police allow you to drive home down country lanes if you drive slowly and you've only had a few, but will arrest you if you drive on the main roads and/or driver over 30-40 km/h.

I have Kerry friends and cousins who're ashamed by this crap out of the councilors. They don't even have the power to make this law so it's self-serving nonsense, and the people of Kerry have only themselves to blame for constantly voting for pork-barrel clowns like the Healy-Raes.

Healy-Rae's family own a pub. If they owned a graveyard they could make twice as much out of drink-driving.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Driving in Ireland on 08:55 - Jan 25 with 1365 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"Where else but in Ireland, where the pub life is woven into the country’s cultural fabric, would this happen? "

Outdated stereotyping, here, by the way. Rural pubs in Ireland are closing by the score, as the culture has changed dramatically. Binge drinking is still common but alcohol consumption in the many areas I know is dropping dramatically. The recession has a lot do with it, but lifestyle changes had taken hold long before then. Women drink less, or drink at homes or in their friends' homes, eating out is on the rise, sports and leisure facilities are booming. Among young men drink is also less common due mainly to the increasing fitness levels required for gaelic games. In our parish, most of the 16-30 year old's play, and to play well they are required to drink only moderately in the early spring, and not at all for the six main months of the season.

It's a far cry from my youth when drinking was truly biblical!

Driving in Ireland on 09:27 - Jan 25 with 1338 viewsA40Bosh

Driving in Ireland on 08:55 - Jan 25 by BrianMcCarthy

"Where else but in Ireland, where the pub life is woven into the country’s cultural fabric, would this happen? "

Outdated stereotyping, here, by the way. Rural pubs in Ireland are closing by the score, as the culture has changed dramatically. Binge drinking is still common but alcohol consumption in the many areas I know is dropping dramatically. The recession has a lot do with it, but lifestyle changes had taken hold long before then. Women drink less, or drink at homes or in their friends' homes, eating out is on the rise, sports and leisure facilities are booming. Among young men drink is also less common due mainly to the increasing fitness levels required for gaelic games. In our parish, most of the 16-30 year old's play, and to play well they are required to drink only moderately in the early spring, and not at all for the six main months of the season.

It's a far cry from my youth when drinking was truly biblical!

Same for my nephews in East Cork.
One is on the senior Cork panel again this year and is hoping to get a run in the team during the championship even though he wont be 20 until July. Although he had a blast over Christmas, that did not mean every night over the break and now that the new year is over and he is back in college, it is the gym nearly every day and no booze. His younger brother who is a Cork minor is exactly the same at 17, gym, gym gym.

God, if only their father hadn't insisted on GAA only for his sons, as the older fella would step right into Ryan Nelsen's boots for us and the younger fella would keep Remy on the bench!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Driving in Ireland on 09:35 - Jan 25 with 1332 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Driving in Ireland on 09:27 - Jan 25 by A40Bosh

Same for my nephews in East Cork.
One is on the senior Cork panel again this year and is hoping to get a run in the team during the championship even though he wont be 20 until July. Although he had a blast over Christmas, that did not mean every night over the break and now that the new year is over and he is back in college, it is the gym nearly every day and no booze. His younger brother who is a Cork minor is exactly the same at 17, gym, gym gym.

God, if only their father hadn't insisted on GAA only for his sons, as the older fella would step right into Ryan Nelsen's boots for us and the younger fella would keep Remy on the bench!

Bosh,

I'll look out for your nephews. What's their names?

I'm secretary of our local club, and I admire the lads' dedication, but I wonder sometimes if we haven't knocked too much fun out of the whole sport. It is supposed to be amateur after all!

Driving in Ireland on 10:30 - Jan 25 with 1304 viewsA40Bosh

Driving in Ireland on 09:35 - Jan 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Bosh,

I'll look out for your nephews. What's their names?

I'm secretary of our local club, and I admire the lads' dedication, but I wonder sometimes if we haven't knocked too much fun out of the whole sport. It is supposed to be amateur after all!

Colm Spillane
Antony Spillane

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Driving in Ireland on 11:15 - Jan 25 with 1274 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've seen Colm hurl, a fine hurler. Haven't seen Anthony yet but I have friends from Rathcormac who rate him very highly. Will watch with interest.

Driving in Ireland on 11:18 - Jan 25 with 1266 viewsbob566

i think all premiership footballers should be made watch a game of hurling and take a good long look at themselves. In saying that simulation is starting to creep into the bogball which isn't good.
Driving in Ireland on 11:19 - Jan 25 with 1265 viewsA40Bosh

Driving in Ireland on 11:15 - Jan 25 by BrianMcCarthy

I've seen Colm hurl, a fine hurler. Haven't seen Anthony yet but I have friends from Rathcormac who rate him very highly. Will watch with interest.

Yes, they are Castlelyons lads and I am often in Rathcormac to see a match when we are in residence in Castlelyons during the summer.

Anthony is a brilliant footballer (soccer) as well as GAA but they know what game comes first!!!

Driving in Ireland on 11:31 - Jan 25 with 1249 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Driving in Ireland on 11:18 - Jan 25 by bob566

i think all premiership footballers should be made watch a game of hurling and take a good long look at themselves. In saying that simulation is starting to creep into the bogball which isn't good.

It is...sigh...

Driving in Ireland on 11:31 - Jan 25 with 1246 viewsPommyhoop

Driving in Ireland on 11:18 - Jan 25 by bob566

Davey Thomas would've made a good hurling player.Shins of iron..

Driving in Ireland on 11:32 - Jan 25 with 1244 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Driving in Ireland on 11:19 - Jan 25 by A40Bosh

Yes, they are Castlelyons lads and I am often in Rathcormac to see a match when we are in residence in Castlelyons during the summer.

Anthony is a brilliant footballer (soccer) as well as GAA but they know what game comes first!!!

Quite right too, Bosh, we'll need everyone if we're ever going to beat Kilkenny again!

Driving in Ireland on 11:34 - Jan 25 with 1235 views1MoreBrightonR

when i was in kerry 15 years ago, we were walking back from the pub at 1am and there was a car stopped diagonally across the road in the middle of nowhere blocking the road...driver nowhere to be seen, drivers door open and some branches stuck to the front from where he'd clearly been weaving his way drunkenly down the road!
Driving in Ireland on 11:36 - Jan 25 with 1232 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Driving in Ireland on 11:34 - Jan 25 by 1MoreBrightonR

when i was in kerry 15 years ago, we were walking back from the pub at 1am and there was a car stopped diagonally across the road in the middle of nowhere blocking the road...driver nowhere to be seen, drivers door open and some branches stuck to the front from where he'd clearly been weaving his way drunkenly down the road!

Probably one of the councillors.

Driving in Ireland on 11:45 - Jan 25 with 1222 viewsPommyhoop

I aint been back for 14 years now.The thing that struck me as a kid and made me smile as an adult was the tractors full of people(mainly kids) in their Sunday finest going to chapel.And the church being packed so packed that all the men ( younger men) had to stand on the other side of the street.I was gutted that I had to go in with my Mum I wanted to be with my Dad and Uncles.
Does that still go on ?

Driving in Ireland on 12:11 - Jan 25 with 1206 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Driving in Ireland on 11:45 - Jan 25 by Pommyhoop

I aint been back for 14 years now.The thing that struck me as a kid and made me smile as an adult was the tractors full of people(mainly kids) in their Sunday finest going to chapel.And the church being packed so packed that all the men ( younger men) had to stand on the other side of the street.I was gutted that I had to go in with my Mum I wanted to be with my Dad and Uncles.
Does that still go on ?

Oh, the shame of having to go in the church door with the women! I used to stand outside with my Grandad, and when we'd guess that it was time to kneel, we'd kneel on one knee with the two arms leaning on the bent knee and a hankie thrown on the ground to protect the best Sunday slacks (he'd loan me a hankie). We were men together.

Haven't seen a tractorful in years. Another old sign gone. As for the church, there's space in there now to play ball while Mass is on, attendances are plummeting these last 10-15 years.

Driving in Ireland on 13:06 - Jan 25 with 1177 viewsdermyqpr

Factor in how many have had to emigrate too lads. Especially from the counties that dont get to see the inside of Croke Parc.

(as a Louth man seeing our hateful neighbours score a" try "to deny us a provinsial championship a few year ago was enough to send anybody on the boat!!!)
Driving in Ireland on 13:30 - Jan 25 with 1160 viewsPommyhoop

Driving in Ireland on 12:11 - Jan 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Oh, the shame of having to go in the church door with the women! I used to stand outside with my Grandad, and when we'd guess that it was time to kneel, we'd kneel on one knee with the two arms leaning on the bent knee and a hankie thrown on the ground to protect the best Sunday slacks (he'd loan me a hankie). We were men together.

Haven't seen a tractorful in years. Another old sign gone. As for the church, there's space in there now to play ball while Mass is on, attendances are plummeting these last 10-15 years.

Oh the shame is right.Especially when one of my Uncles was only a couple of years older than me.He used to proper take the p1ss.I did manage to stay outside the church once but my sister moaned like f*** so that was the end of that.
I used to love those summer holidays' back home' ..A couple of times me and the sister were packed off on our own for the whole 6 weeks.I missed the old man but wasnt too bothered cos it was the close season..

Driving in Ireland on 14:41 - Jan 25 with 1126 viewsMrSheen

Driving in Ireland on 11:19 - Jan 25 by A40Bosh

They'll enjoy collecting Munster finals loser's medals. Up Tipp!

It's unbelieveable that Healy-Reas still get elected. People get the government they deserve.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024