Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second signing of the day! 14:54 - Jul 26 with 6100 viewsNorthernSou1

@officiallydale: We said earlier that it had been a busy morning at Spotland & that has continued this afternoon.News on a second recruit on the way shortly!

@officiallydale: BREAKING NEWS: Javan Vidal has joined the club on non-contract terms. The full story will be on the official website soon...
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Second signing of the day! on 14:56 - Jul 26 with 4297 viewsIOMDale

Javan Vidal on non-contract terms. Welcome aboard!

UTDNFS

Second signing of the day! on 15:04 - Jul 26 with 4241 viewsBrierls

Surprised at this one, I thought we had enough cover at right back with Rafferty & O'Connor, wth Bennett hopefully coming back into the reckoning soon. I suppose it is only non-contract terms, so adding more depth with little commitment.

This signing makes a bit more sense if Hilly is keen on playing the formation he played at Macc. I thought Vidal adapted to the wing back/defensive winger role a bit better than Rafferty.
Second signing of the day! on 15:17 - Jul 26 with 4192 viewselectricblue

Perhaps hill sees Vidal to have the potential to be better than Rafferty...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Second signing of the day! on 15:18 - Jul 26 with 4186 viewslurker

Second signing of the day! on 15:04 - Jul 26 by Brierls

Surprised at this one, I thought we had enough cover at right back with Rafferty & O'Connor, wth Bennett hopefully coming back into the reckoning soon. I suppose it is only non-contract terms, so adding more depth with little commitment.

This signing makes a bit more sense if Hilly is keen on playing the formation he played at Macc. I thought Vidal adapted to the wing back/defensive winger role a bit better than Rafferty.

Think Vidal and Rafferty are going to go head to head for the RB slot from what Hill and others have said in interviews. Bennett is definitely seen as a CB, and this would be helpful if we were to play the 3-5-2 formation that has been tested recently.

As for O'Connor, well he is a good young player but he will certainly be on the back burner this year while he is eased in. I also thought he was predominantly a CB too
Second signing of the day! on 15:32 - Jul 26 with 4126 viewsBrierls

Second signing of the day! on 15:18 - Jul 26 by lurker

Think Vidal and Rafferty are going to go head to head for the RB slot from what Hill and others have said in interviews. Bennett is definitely seen as a CB, and this would be helpful if we were to play the 3-5-2 formation that has been tested recently.

As for O'Connor, well he is a good young player but he will certainly be on the back burner this year while he is eased in. I also thought he was predominantly a CB too

Vidal and Rafferty are certainly similar in that they both love a tackle! It's not always a good thing, because that love for a tackle can mean them diving in a bit too much, but good coaching will remedy that. I just think there is so much potential in Rafferty, he's only 19 and under Hilly's guidance could become a very good player for us. Vidal is 24 now, so while still young, is running out of opportunities to make the grade at league level.

I know Bennett's prefered position is centre back, and Hilly has hinted that where he see's him playing, but he's got all the attributes to be a beast of a right back! He's got good pace, is good on the ball, and likely to win more headers than not.

I'm concious that I may be coming across as moaning that we're adding more depth to the squad, but I'm really not

You're right...O'Connor is a centre back, but he played at right back against Plymouth on the final day of last season and I thought he did well. Seemed good enough to provide cover for a first choice right back, certainly good enough to be third in line to Rafferty and Bennett. I think we can rule O'Connor out of playing in midfield, he kicked anything that moved against Stalyvegas
Second signing of the day! on 15:42 - Jul 26 with 4077 viewsfitzochris

Wow, the squad just grows and grows. There's extensive options everywhere... well, except at centre forward. Still think we're light there, but Hilly clearly has a plan and, having not seen a single friendly, I'm loath to comment or criticise.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Second signing of the day! on 15:50 - Jul 26 with 4042 viewsBrierls

Second signing of the day! on 15:42 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

Wow, the squad just grows and grows. There's extensive options everywhere... well, except at centre forward. Still think we're light there, but Hilly clearly has a plan and, having not seen a single friendly, I'm loath to comment or criticise.

I've never know a Dale squad have so many options, strength in depth, and flexibility. It's exciting.

If I was pushed to choose an area where I feel we're short of a player, I'd choose centre forward. That's meant in no way to detract from what Donnelly and Bunney can, and undoubtedly will, offer. BUT (and its a huge BUT) we didn't play a centre forward vs Blackburn, and we and looked by far the most potent going forward as we have all pre-season.

Options, options, options!
Second signing of the day! on 15:52 - Jul 26 with 4033 viewsD_Alien

That's a first for a journalist!

Seriously though, what Hilly's putting together is beyond anything I could have imagined/expected.

The proof will always be in the pudding, but I'll kiss robshakers arse if we don't at least finish in the top half!!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Second signing of the day! on 15:53 - Jul 26 with 4028 viewsdale_spotland

I thought the same until the Blackburn game and Hogan played there sort of, and seeing how well he played got rid of that doubt, he was ace.

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

Second signing of the day! on 15:59 - Jul 26 with 3998 viewsfitzochris

Those are the kind of comments I've had from my mates, too. It all sounds very encouraging.

Second signing of the day! on 16:06 - Jul 26 with 3961 viewslurker

Second signing of the day! on 15:53 - Jul 26 by dale_spotland

I thought the same until the Blackburn game and Hogan played there sort of, and seeing how well he played got rid of that doubt, he was ace.

This!

Anyone who thinks we need another centre forward for anything other than back up should have had that thought obliterated after seeing Hogan. He is going to be a pain in the arse for L2 defenders for sure.

Hill has said time and again that getting a proven striker in would probably send the wrong message to the current crop, who are a talented bunch albeit inexperienced. That is the only slight question mark - experience. However, I personally don't see a problem in this area given Hill's own record of coaching young forwards and Tony Ellis is still there coaching too.

Just look at the work Hill has done with Donnelly and the effect it has had!

There are only ever going to be 1 or maybe 2 true out and out striking berths available with the formations Hill has set out to play and we have Donnelly, Hogan, Bunney, Gray and Abadaki fighting for them. Perhaps there is room for a back up forward with experience to come off the bench, but even then this person would be taking a bench place from one of these lads. Is that fair?
Second signing of the day! on 16:12 - Jul 26 with 3941 viewsfitzochris

Second signing of the day! on 16:06 - Jul 26 by lurker

This!

Anyone who thinks we need another centre forward for anything other than back up should have had that thought obliterated after seeing Hogan. He is going to be a pain in the arse for L2 defenders for sure.

Hill has said time and again that getting a proven striker in would probably send the wrong message to the current crop, who are a talented bunch albeit inexperienced. That is the only slight question mark - experience. However, I personally don't see a problem in this area given Hill's own record of coaching young forwards and Tony Ellis is still there coaching too.

Just look at the work Hill has done with Donnelly and the effect it has had!

There are only ever going to be 1 or maybe 2 true out and out striking berths available with the formations Hill has set out to play and we have Donnelly, Hogan, Bunney, Gray and Abadaki fighting for them. Perhaps there is room for a back up forward with experience to come off the bench, but even then this person would be taking a bench place from one of these lads. Is that fair?

Devil's advocate here, purely, but can Hogan be expected to play every game at the same intensity? I know we have Donnelly et al, but none are out and out goal scorers (although Donnelly does seem to be improving there).

If Grant hadn't gone to Blackpool, he'd still be a member of the squad battling for his place. Would it be completely unreasonable to replace him? I don't think anyone would say Grant's ability was surplus to requirements.

Points purely for consideration, as I say.

Second signing of the day! on 16:20 - Jul 26 with 3912 viewslurker

Second signing of the day! on 16:12 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

Devil's advocate here, purely, but can Hogan be expected to play every game at the same intensity? I know we have Donnelly et al, but none are out and out goal scorers (although Donnelly does seem to be improving there).

If Grant hadn't gone to Blackpool, he'd still be a member of the squad battling for his place. Would it be completely unreasonable to replace him? I don't think anyone would say Grant's ability was surplus to requirements.

Agree with you that there is a case and it is a difficult decision for Hill I am sure, but he seems in his interviews to be averse to putting faith in these young lads to come through for him.

Personally, I think we might see a loan before the window for either an experienced head or a young talent from Championship.

Grant leaving has put more pressure on Hill to recruit, I agree
Second signing of the day! on 16:27 - Jul 26 with 3864 viewsSaxonDale

Is this the largest squad Hill has had going into a season? I reckon experience in management has told Hill that a larger squad is needed than ones we had previously in order to sustain the type of game he likes his sides to implement throughout the 46 games of the season.
Second signing of the day! on 16:29 - Jul 26 with 3856 viewsgigger

Failed to impress at gigg on trial last season.
Came back for a 2nd trial midway thru season and did enough to be offered a contact.

But that's when everything went tits up and we had no money and couldn't sign anyone.

What's happened to kel ???

Second signing of the day! on 16:37 - Jul 26 with 3829 viewsBrierls

I can't believe I'm saying this, it sounds ridiculous, but I don't believe Grant's departure has weakened us! Yes, he scored goals, often from nothing, but his departure is giving even more opportunity (and responsibility) to others within the squad. I never thought I'd feel so at ease with Grant leaving, because for the majority of last season he was our talisman.

The mix of Henderson, Done & Hogan has left my sock drawer quaking with fear!!!!

If we need more physicality, add Donnelly to the mix. If we need more instinct in and around the six yard box, add Bunney to the mix. If we need "something else", whatever that may be, then Grant's departure gives us the flexibility in the budget to go out and recruit that.
Second signing of the day! on 17:04 - Jul 26 with 3735 viewspl56

No argument with the points you are making , but I've said before , and really believe this , that KH was quick off the mark when he realized the likelihood of Grant leaving , and proactively invested in Done as his replacement before he left .

My spin on things based on pre-season only rather than longer history , is that Gray and Abadaki are short of what we are looking for now even as squad players , and if "shape shifting" is required , they will be likely for shipping out on loan or to have contracts cancelled to free up additional resources either for loan or permanent signings .
Second signing of the day! on 18:38 - Jul 26 with 3577 viewsColDale

There were similar comments about the centre half position at the start of the 2009-10 season
Second signing of the day! on 18:47 - Jul 26 with 3550 viewsClivert

Second signing of the day! on 16:37 - Jul 26 by Brierls

I can't believe I'm saying this, it sounds ridiculous, but I don't believe Grant's departure has weakened us! Yes, he scored goals, often from nothing, but his departure is giving even more opportunity (and responsibility) to others within the squad. I never thought I'd feel so at ease with Grant leaving, because for the majority of last season he was our talisman.

The mix of Henderson, Done & Hogan has left my sock drawer quaking with fear!!!!

If we need more physicality, add Donnelly to the mix. If we need more instinct in and around the six yard box, add Bunney to the mix. If we need "something else", whatever that may be, then Grant's departure gives us the flexibility in the budget to go out and recruit that.

'The mix of Henderson, Done & Hogan has left my sock drawer quaking with fear!!!!'

Brilliant that line!

How refreshing to have a manager in place who knows what he's doing after that last two shambolic preseasons, we know what we're going to get from a squad assembled by Keith Hill so no wonder optimism is high.
Second signing of the day! on 20:05 - Jul 26 with 3444 viewsfitzochris

Second signing of the day! on 18:38 - Jul 26 by ColDale

There were similar comments about the centre half position at the start of the 2009-10 season

And that's a reassuring call back. Just putting the point out for thoughts. Having not seen Dale kick a ball this pre-season, I only have this forum and a few pals' thoughts to go off. Wish August 17 would hurry up.

Second signing of the day! on 20:23 - Jul 26 with 3411 viewsD_Alien

Second signing of the day! on 20:05 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

And that's a reassuring call back. Just putting the point out for thoughts. Having not seen Dale kick a ball this pre-season, I only have this forum and a few pals' thoughts to go off. Wish August 17 would hurry up.

(Sensible reply)

I'm in the same boat in relying on what's been posted, oh... and the evidence of previous pre-seasons of KH putting squads together, now enhanced by his greater experience.

I'm not wishing 17 Aug to hurry though. There's a holiday to enjoy, and an Ashes series to win. I'm happy to see what happens during our first two competitive league games from a distance. There will be nine months to join in the fun.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Second signing of the day! on 20:42 - Jul 26 with 3361 viewsBarryStrange

Second signing of the day! on 16:37 - Jul 26 by Brierls

I am a bit confused by this one. You described KB as being "like a kid in a sweet shop" with a few quid to invest when we signed this Rwandan chap with very little experience yesterday. Not exactly bagged yourselves the new Gary Neville here.

You have signed a young-ish full back here who slides down a division every few months yet you have plucked him out of nowhere after being released by Stockport having played some part in their relegation from the conference.

Suspect Rafferty won't be too concerned for his place in the starting XI.
Second signing of the day! on 21:02 - Jul 26 with 3326 viewsBrierls

Second signing of the day! on 20:42 - Jul 26 by BarryStrange

I am a bit confused by this one. You described KB as being "like a kid in a sweet shop" with a few quid to invest when we signed this Rwandan chap with very little experience yesterday. Not exactly bagged yourselves the new Gary Neville here.

You have signed a young-ish full back here who slides down a division every few months yet you have plucked him out of nowhere after being released by Stockport having played some part in their relegation from the conference.

Suspect Rafferty won't be too concerned for his place in the starting XI.

How very dare you. It was SuddenLad who described KB as being "like a kid in a sweet shop". I said at the start of the thread that I was surprised by the Vidal signing, but it adds more depth to our squad.

I hadn't commented on the merits of the Big Jessie signing because these things have a habit of coming back to bite you in the arse. You can't exactly compare the two signings though...Vidal is on non-contract terms, meaning we can release him whenever we see fit (or he can leave whenever he wants). Big Jessie has been handed the security of a two year contract!
Second signing of the day! on 21:51 - Jul 26 with 3266 viewsrobshaker

Second signing of the day! on 21:02 - Jul 26 by Brierls

How very dare you. It was SuddenLad who described KB as being "like a kid in a sweet shop". I said at the start of the thread that I was surprised by the Vidal signing, but it adds more depth to our squad.

I hadn't commented on the merits of the Big Jessie signing because these things have a habit of coming back to bite you in the arse. You can't exactly compare the two signings though...Vidal is on non-contract terms, meaning we can release him whenever we see fit (or he can leave whenever he wants). Big Jessie has been handed the security of a two year contract!

didn't see any objections to suddenlads comment brierls..

big Jessie has been with us for some time and has earned his contract he's also played in 3 or 4 European leagues so not exactly inexperienced and certainly not a 'kid in a sweet shop signing' ... tho we shall see eh..

noticed as the season draws nearer the brown eyes get bigger!
Second signing of the day! on 22:04 - Jul 26 with 3229 viewsroccydaleian

Second signing of the day! on 21:51 - Jul 26 by robshaker

didn't see any objections to suddenlads comment brierls..

big Jessie has been with us for some time and has earned his contract he's also played in 3 or 4 European leagues so not exactly inexperienced and certainly not a 'kid in a sweet shop signing' ... tho we shall see eh..

noticed as the season draws nearer the brown eyes get bigger!

Big difference here though Nob. Most of our squad are experienced, half of the lot your mob have signed are not. I'd be shiting it if i was you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024