Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bit of IT help please. 21:32 - Sep 4 with 2010 viewsted_hendrix

I have an old Toshiba Satellite (Windows 7) that is an old pig and very slow and a newer Toshiba Satellite (Windows 8).
The newer Toshiba has the facility to play DVDs built In which is handy but the older Tosh doesn't, Mrs H wants to either download DVDs on the new Tosh to her I-Pad, how do I do that? or either find a way of playing DVDs on the older Tosh for when we go abroad next Month.
(I don't want to take the newer Tosh abroad)
Is there a simple fool proof way of doing one or the other?
When I say fool proof I'm talking about my IT skills

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Bit of IT help please. on 21:50 - Sep 4 with 1987 viewsTW_R

Hi Ted. The least technical solution would be to use an external DVD drive that connects to a USB port. You can pick one up on eBay for about a tenner.

For a more technical approach there are plenty of free DVD "rip" apps available where the DVD gets converted into a video file (such as an AVI) and can be played by things like Windows Media Player. This is obviously more time consuming as you have to do this for every film you want to watch, but it does remove the need to carry around DVDs and a drive. The average DVD will take up about 700mb in AVI format.

Another option would be to download the movies, which is easier than ripping them yourself, but could be costly if you do it legally.
Bit of IT help please. on 22:22 - Sep 4 with 1948 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Hello mate, some new films allow you to download an electronic version when you buy the DVD but that's rare, and I don't thinks really a legitimate legal way of ripping movies for use on other divides. But plent of illegal ways to do it just means you have to find the software and download it and away you go.

Getting it onto the iPad is another matter.

Speaking of the iPad, you can download films and tv programs from the iTunes store thing for a few quid for films or often few pence for tv prgrams a pop and then you got them.

Depending on where you go abroad if you were caught with illegally copied films on your laptop you could be in trouble but I'm sure you don't need me telling you that..!
Bit of IT help please. on 22:29 - Sep 4 with 1932 viewsted_hendrix

Thing is lads they're yoga DVDs that she's already purchased, and she really wants them burnt onto her I-Pad and I don't think that can be done?

Bit of IT help please. on 22:39 - Sep 4 with 1917 viewsTW_R

Bit of IT help please. on 22:29 - Sep 4 by ted_hendrix

Thing is lads they're yoga DVDs that she's already purchased, and she really wants them burnt onto her I-Pad and I don't think that can be done?

Ok, so rip the DVD as above and convert to MP4. You can then sync this to the iPad via iTunes.

Or just rip direct to MP4. I personally prefer AVI as it appears to be more compatible with media players (accept the bloody iPad of course).

And here's a handy article of how to do it that I've just found.

http://ipad.about.com/od/ipad_tips/a/How-To-Convert-A-Dvd-To-The-Ipad-For-Free.h
Bit of IT help please. on 22:51 - Sep 4 with 1901 viewsted_hendrix

Bit of IT help please. on 22:39 - Sep 4 by TW_R

Ok, so rip the DVD as above and convert to MP4. You can then sync this to the iPad via iTunes.

Or just rip direct to MP4. I personally prefer AVI as it appears to be more compatible with media players (accept the bloody iPad of course).

And here's a handy article of how to do it that I've just found.

http://ipad.about.com/od/ipad_tips/a/How-To-Convert-A-Dvd-To-The-Ipad-For-Free.h

Thanks mate, I'm gonna give it a go (fingers crossed).

Bit of IT help please. on 22:53 - Sep 4 with 1898 viewsTW_R

Bit of IT help please. on 22:51 - Sep 4 by ted_hendrix

Thanks mate, I'm gonna give it a go (fingers crossed).

Good luck!
Bit of IT help please. on 23:03 - Sep 4 with 1889 viewsAndyB

I tried ripping a dvd for ipad using handbrake.
I am pretty handy at anything to do with software/converting/pc builds etc. but this was like devising a Moon landing mission from scratch.

It was simple on the face of it - but the main problem was that you are never quite sure if the settings are right. Not until the Rip is completed (couple of hours for a film) - then you find sound out of sync or the picture is in wrong format.
Bloody frustrating.

First time I have ever given up on an IT challenge.

Dont let me put you off though.

Let us know how you get on -I might have another crack one day.
Bit of IT help please. on 20:31 - Sep 5 with 1764 viewsted_hendrix

Bit of IT help please. on 23:03 - Sep 4 by AndyB

I tried ripping a dvd for ipad using handbrake.
I am pretty handy at anything to do with software/converting/pc builds etc. but this was like devising a Moon landing mission from scratch.

It was simple on the face of it - but the main problem was that you are never quite sure if the settings are right. Not until the Rip is completed (couple of hours for a film) - then you find sound out of sync or the picture is in wrong format.
Bloody frustrating.

First time I have ever given up on an IT challenge.

Dont let me put you off though.

Let us know how you get on -I might have another crack one day.

Andy, (lads) epic fail mate, I tried but lost the bloody will to live after a while, the downloading of stuff just seemed to go on forever and kind of put me off tbh so I panicked a bit and hit the cancel button.
Cheers anyway.

Login to get fewer ads

Bit of IT help please. on 20:53 - Sep 5 with 1747 viewsgordanoR

Ted,

sounds like it's easier to just (ahem) download the stuff you want again. Apparently people use something called torrent sites to share movies etc.... Only good if the stuff you want has been uploaded by someone of course. Even on my sh1tty, out in the country, broadband connection I could (if I were that way inclined) download a movie in a couple of hours.
Bit of IT help please. on 20:56 - Sep 5 with 1744 viewsMichael_Hunt

Bit of IT help please. on 20:31 - Sep 5 by ted_hendrix

Andy, (lads) epic fail mate, I tried but lost the bloody will to live after a while, the downloading of stuff just seemed to go on forever and kind of put me off tbh so I panicked a bit and hit the cancel button.
Cheers anyway.

Ted, don't give up! If you're up to spending a smallish amount this is the software I use http://www.aiseesoft.com/ipad-converter-suite.html

It works a treat. Just be sure to look at the sub menu when you load the DVD and select only the movie, the longest time bit, not the other crap that is just adverts etc.

If you give it a go and have any problems give me a shout and I'll try to help.
Bit of IT help please. on 22:01 - Sep 5 with 1716 viewssunburyhoop

Hi Ted,
There are 2 downloads that are available on a 21 day free trial that i used to copy my DVD collection. If you download Any DVD and Clone DVD from Slysoft.com. Basically the Any DVD just runs in the background while the Clone DVD copies the disc to your computer, it is very easy to use and works well. I then use a software called Tunebite which converts any music or video to any format you want i.e AVI,MP4, MP3 etc, you can then store your collection on a memory stick and play them through the USB port on your old computer. I can give you a copy of Tunebite on the 14th if you want, just pm me if your interested.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2013 22:06]

QPR is my religion, loftus road is my church

Bit of IT help please. on 04:47 - Sep 6 with 1661 viewsCanadaRanger

Local company which I have used for years...
Downloads page
http://www.sonexpc.com/download_13
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024