Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Windows 8 18:40 - Feb 11 with 3581 viewsStranglers

Any geeks or computer buffs, got it?
Purchased it yesterday, and sort of getting the old grey matter round it?
Is it just a case of bearing with it ?
Was gonna chuck it out the window early last night

RIP-Wurzel

Windows 8 on 18:42 - Feb 11 with 3566 viewsBrighouseDale

It's basically the same as Windows 7 apart from the home screen where you can put all your shortcuts. If you go to the desktop all the menus are very similar. Works for me anyway!

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Windows 8 on 18:48 - Feb 11 with 3546 viewsStranglers

Windows 8 on 18:42 - Feb 11 by BrighouseDale

It's basically the same as Windows 7 apart from the home screen where you can put all your shortcuts. If you go to the desktop all the menus are very similar. Works for me anyway!

no worries...

RIP-Wurzel

Windows 8 on 18:57 - Feb 11 with 3532 viewsDaleaholic

I don't think I've stayed on the Windows 8 page for longer than a minute or so. Awful. Straight to desktop every time.

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

Windows 8 on 19:09 - Feb 11 with 3508 viewsStranglers

Windows 8 on 18:57 - Feb 11 by Daleaholic

I don't think I've stayed on the Windows 8 page for longer than a minute or so. Awful. Straight to desktop every time.

getting the same impression

RIP-Wurzel

Windows 8 on 19:19 - Feb 11 with 3495 viewsD_Alien

The thing about Microsoft products is that they've got to the point where re-design is overtaking functionality. They've got loads of programmers just sat there in front of screens thinking of ways to make a product that works do more, or they're out of a job.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Windows 8 on 20:06 - Feb 11 with 3426 viewsSapperG

Windows 8 on 18:42 - Feb 11 by BrighouseDale

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-super-windows-8-1-tweaks-for-power-users/

This makes many things easier! Make sure you have the service pack 8.1 installed
Windows 8 on 22:54 - Feb 11 with 3352 viewsBobsAdaley

Windows 8 on 20:06 - Feb 11 by SapperG

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-super-windows-8-1-tweaks-for-power-users/

This makes many things easier! Make sure you have the service pack 8.1 installed

I personally find it crap, but then again may be its my age, in fairness to myself I should never have upgraded from 7.

However, you can make it look and perform exactly like 7, down load "Classic Shell" from the net, its the best win 7 emulator and turn window 8 in to 7, well it is win 8 underneath but you would not know, it still loads mega quick and solves it all in one go
Windows 8 on 00:38 - Feb 12 with 3315 viewsStranglers

cheers for the help/info people

RIP-Wurzel

Login to get fewer ads

Windows 8 on 00:40 - Feb 12 with 3313 viewsBrighouseDale

Windows 8 on 00:38 - Feb 12 by Stranglers

cheers for the help/info people

The best thing about Windows 8 for me is, if you're using a touch pad on a laptop, you can use two fingers next to eachother, to scroll up and down or side to side. The wonders of technology.

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Windows 8 on 15:16 - Feb 12 with 3200 viewsDaleView

Windows 8 on 00:40 - Feb 12 by BrighouseDale

The best thing about Windows 8 for me is, if you're using a touch pad on a laptop, you can use two fingers next to eachother, to scroll up and down or side to side. The wonders of technology.

Personally, I would raise two fingers to Windows 8, Full Stop.
Previous poster hit the nail on the head.
Too many updates/new products are coming out of Microsoft when the philosophy should be "If it 'aint broke - don't mend it!"
What was wrong with XP?
Windows 8 on 19:58 - Feb 12 with 3092 viewsDiddyDave

My brother has it,he says it`s a bloody nightmare.
Windows 8 on 12:39 - Feb 13 with 2997 viewsMass_Debater

Windows 8 on 19:58 - Feb 12 by DiddyDave

My brother has it,he says it`s a bloody nightmare.

Being your brother?
Windows 8 on 19:13 - Feb 14 with 2889 viewswimborne_dale

I'm a software engineer and most of my colleagues slate it. XP was a stable, intuitive system (NT and 2000 were very similar), since then Microsoft have lost the plot. As a poster on here alluded: Microsoft keep changing everything around because no-one justifies their continued employment by leaving well alone. Let's just be grateful they don't make cars!

Edgar Allan's Crow

Windows 8 on 12:24 - Feb 15 with 2834 viewsD_Alien

Windows 8 on 19:13 - Feb 14 by wimborne_dale

I'm a software engineer and most of my colleagues slate it. XP was a stable, intuitive system (NT and 2000 were very similar), since then Microsoft have lost the plot. As a poster on here alluded: Microsoft keep changing everything around because no-one justifies their continued employment by leaving well alone. Let's just be grateful they don't make cars!

I'm that poster, and the situation's actually worse than that.

Because of the possibility of greater connectivity between programmes and networks, additional security features have to be inbuilt - and the default settings are always pretty high. What this results in is greater control at corporate level, which mitigates against the ability of individuals to use the (previously) intuitive software.

This is then compounded by organisations (such as the NHS) having to pay bigger and bigger sums of our cash to have the security fully functioning. The NHS can't afford to pay top-level programmers in competition with private industry, so we either get third rate and poorly motivated programmers or the potential for flaws in the security of data - that's yours and my personal health data.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Windows 8 on 12:42 - Feb 15 with 2808 viewsKenBoon

I'm not a fan of Windows 8. However you can mess about with it enough to get it operating something like Windows 7. XP reached the end of its lifetime cycle. Home computing had changed between when that launched and Windows 7 (Shall not mention Windows Vista). I see where Microsoft are going with Windows 8, but the 'surface' part of it shouldn't be thrown in desktop and laptop users faces. Until 8.1 the GUI was terrible.

Windows 8 is still much better than the last few OSX efforts, which have taken a great OS and locked out features to encourage upgrades, offer few new features, many not available to older hardware users even though their machines are more than capable of running them, virtually lock down software to the appstore and are much more unstable.
Windows 8 on 12:43 - Feb 15 with 2807 viewsMoonyDale

Windows 8 on 12:24 - Feb 15 by D_Alien

I'm that poster, and the situation's actually worse than that.

Because of the possibility of greater connectivity between programmes and networks, additional security features have to be inbuilt - and the default settings are always pretty high. What this results in is greater control at corporate level, which mitigates against the ability of individuals to use the (previously) intuitive software.

This is then compounded by organisations (such as the NHS) having to pay bigger and bigger sums of our cash to have the security fully functioning. The NHS can't afford to pay top-level programmers in competition with private industry, so we either get third rate and poorly motivated programmers or the potential for flaws in the security of data - that's yours and my personal health data.

In simple terms Windows 8 is the largest pile of Microsoft shite ever put out for public use.....
[Post edited 15 Feb 2014 12:57]

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Windows 8 on 19:26 - Feb 15 with 2751 viewsNinco

I'm not keen on it. I preferred XP or 7. I've found that if you go down to the bottom right hand corner, you get your pop up start button, then if you right click it, the traditional start menu should pop up.

Another problem I have found, and I am not sure if this is just my laptop or all Windows 8 is that it wont play Lovefilm or Netflix.

I think it's something I will get used to after a while, but it will take time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024