Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eddie Jones 13:18 - Mar 18 with 14200 viewsDaiHo0p

I don't like him.
Eddie Jones on 11:06 - Mar 19 with 1976 viewsjamois

Eddie Jones on 10:37 - Mar 19 by BrianMcCarthy

I think it's been completely worth it, Jamois. It's a drip, drip, drip on people's consciousness. Eventually people get the message but it has to be raised as an issue first, and raised continually.

My Dad's generation of Irish in London were both victims of racism and racists themselves. A week after landing in London you'd hear some of them proclaiming that "arra, the pakis are alright but the wogs have an awful chip on their shoulder" and in the next sentence saying that "the Tans (English) are racist bastids". No irony at all.
Slowly but surely, though, that racism has faded. Maybe they just mellowed with age, maybe the resentment faded as they too stopped bring victims of racism at the hands of the English. But, also, I would argue, it happened because every time they were racist someone tugged at their sleeve and said "hey, you can't say that".

This stuff no longer offends me, as I say, but it has to be challenged. Challenged quietly, gently, politely, but continually. We have to keep tugging at the sleeve.

Ok Bri, I hear you. On point in general I agree. On this rugby match I'm not sure, but it's certainly contentious. One thing for sure is that time normalises everything. But then, to your point, critical mass does too I guess and social media may help in that regard. As I've said on different threads before, we would all do well to remember that we're all immigrants, it just seems to depend where/when in the chronology the line gets drawn.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Eddie Jones on 11:09 - Mar 19 with 1969 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Eddie Jones on 11:06 - Mar 19 by jamois

Ok Bri, I hear you. On point in general I agree. On this rugby match I'm not sure, but it's certainly contentious. One thing for sure is that time normalises everything. But then, to your point, critical mass does too I guess and social media may help in that regard. As I've said on different threads before, we would all do well to remember that we're all immigrants, it just seems to depend where/when in the chronology the line gets drawn.

Good post.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Eddie Jones on 14:02 - Mar 19 with 1892 viewsSimonJames

I can't help feeling that the press have presented this out of context. Samson Lee was not offended by the comment.

Also, since Eddie Jones is mixed race, I imagine he's more attuned than many as to what constitutes a racist comment.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Eddie Jones on 14:46 - Mar 19 with 1857 viewsnix

Eddie Jones on 10:37 - Mar 19 by BrianMcCarthy

I think it's been completely worth it, Jamois. It's a drip, drip, drip on people's consciousness. Eventually people get the message but it has to be raised as an issue first, and raised continually.

My Dad's generation of Irish in London were both victims of racism and racists themselves. A week after landing in London you'd hear some of them proclaiming that "arra, the pakis are alright but the wogs have an awful chip on their shoulder" and in the next sentence saying that "the Tans (English) are racist bastids". No irony at all.
Slowly but surely, though, that racism has faded. Maybe they just mellowed with age, maybe the resentment faded as they too stopped bring victims of racism at the hands of the English. But, also, I would argue, it happened because every time they were racist someone tugged at their sleeve and said "hey, you can't say that".

This stuff no longer offends me, as I say, but it has to be challenged. Challenged quietly, gently, politely, but continually. We have to keep tugging at the sleeve.

Great post Brian. Really insightful. It's the insidious nature of racism that eats away at the esteem rather than just a one-off remark. But equally it's only by regularly challenging the unacceptable that things change.
Eddie Jones on 16:08 - Mar 19 with 1812 viewswillis1980

Eddie Jones on 15:47 - Mar 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Basically, he said Wales are kicking up a fuss about Joe Marler calling Rob Evans 'gypsy boy' because they want to derail England's grand slam attempt.

It's exactly the type of classist nonsense is expect an English rugby to come out with, just like calling people "pikeys" that are working class in their opinion
Eddie Jones on 17:01 - Mar 19 with 1766 viewsQPRDave

So is Joe Marler a racist ?...I'm confused

Don't know where Eddie Jones has been racist and why his mixed parenthood has been brought up.
All dai hoop said was he didn't like him and I agreed
Eddie Jones on 20:32 - Mar 19 with 1737 viewsDiscodroids

Eddie Jones on 17:01 - Mar 19 by QPRDave

So is Joe Marler a racist ?...I'm confused

Don't know where Eddie Jones has been racist and why his mixed parenthood has been brought up.
All dai hoop said was he didn't like him and I agreed

Marler is definitely a waycist and should be shot.Hopefully his bloodline will be stricken from the records and his family name buried with coarse salts in the earth to be trampled underfoot .

.Possibly a member of Column 88. Charlie Sargent was his best man at his wedding.loves Skrewdriver Records and studying the hair growth patterns of twins.Thank fuk he wasnt around for Cable Street.

# LFW no sell out.

EDIT well done Eddie Jones on leading England to a glorious grandslam. i just hope you can keep Joe Marler out of the Joy divisions of Paris tonight.The Waycist.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2016 22:01]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Eddie Jones on 22:37 - Mar 19 with 1674 viewsQPRDave

Eddie Jones on 20:32 - Mar 19 by Discodroids

Marler is definitely a waycist and should be shot.Hopefully his bloodline will be stricken from the records and his family name buried with coarse salts in the earth to be trampled underfoot .

.Possibly a member of Column 88. Charlie Sargent was his best man at his wedding.loves Skrewdriver Records and studying the hair growth patterns of twins.Thank fuk he wasnt around for Cable Street.

# LFW no sell out.

EDIT well done Eddie Jones on leading England to a glorious grandslam. i just hope you can keep Joe Marler out of the Joy divisions of Paris tonight.The Waycist.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2016 22:01]

Cheers Disco...
Login to get fewer ads

Eddie Jones on 23:39 - Mar 19 with 1661 viewsHitch

Eddie Jones on 09:35 - Mar 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Racism is systematic practically all over the world. Jobs, wealth, opportunity and respect are still denied to people who weren't born white, male, straight and non-traveller.

It is not politically incorrect to be racist, it's just plain incorrect.It was always incorrect, long before the phrase PC was ever dreamt up and used as either a stick to beat with or a refuge to cower in.

I'm not offended by this incident. In fact I could hardly care less. However, as my heritage and the world's shifting attitude to my heritage means that I have experienced very little discrimination in the last twenty years compared to the twenty beforehand, the very least I'm going to do is call racism for what it is whenever I think I see it.

When racism towards Irish declined so too did depression, alcoholism and suicide amongst Irish communities abroad. When racism towards the Travelling community hopefully declines we should hope the same will occur. Racism is real with real consequences in my opinion, it's not about being PC, it's not about hardening up. The hardest of men are driven to their demons by a lack of self-worth.

No hand-wringing here, no crying. Just my opinion.

These are two props on a Rugby Field. They aren't leaders of the free world, captains of industry or anything of any real importance. Theres no need, in my opinion for a moral crusade on this incident.
Eddie Jones on 00:08 - Mar 20 with 1638 viewsSnipper

What a complete and utter load of bollocks.

Racist and bloody sectarian? I've heard it all now.

I'm going for a lie down as the end of the world is nigh.
Eddie Jones on 00:43 - Mar 20 with 1609 viewstimcocking

Eddie Jones on 14:46 - Mar 19 by nix

Great post Brian. Really insightful. It's the insidious nature of racism that eats away at the esteem rather than just a one-off remark. But equally it's only by regularly challenging the unacceptable that things change.

"It's the insidious nature of racism that eats away at the esteem rather than just a one-off remark"

lmfao
Eddie Jones on 01:23 - Mar 20 with 1600 viewstimcocking

Racism is systematic practically all over the world. Jobs, wealth, opportunity and respect are still denied to people who weren't born white, male, straight and non-traveller.

It is not politically incorrect to be racist, it's just plain incorrect.It was always incorrect, long before the phrase PC was ever dreamt up and used as either a stick to beat with or a refuge to cower in.

I'm not offended by this incident. In fact I could hardly care less. However, as my heritage and the world's shifting attitude to my heritage means that I have experienced very little discrimination in the last twenty years compared to the twenty beforehand, the very least I'm going to do is call racism for what it is whenever I think I see it.

When racism towards Irish declined so too did depression, alcoholism and suicide amongst Irish communities abroad. When racism towards the Travelling community hopefully declines we should hope the same will occur. Racism is real with real consequences in my opinion, it's not about being PC, it's not about hardening up. The hardest of men are driven to their demons by a lack of self-worth.

So it's only white people who are racist then is it?
Eddie Jones on 02:41 - Mar 20 with 1585 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Eddie Jones on 01:23 - Mar 20 by timcocking

I've read that paragraph three times and can't see where Brian said that.
Eddie Jones on 09:08 - Mar 20 with 1525 viewskingshill

So if we stop calling them pikeys, will their self esteem be raised so much that they'll stop thieving and leaving their sh1t wherever they turn up illegally because that's the truth about them as a "race", like it or not
Eddie Jones on 09:10 - Mar 20 with 1524 viewsconnell10

I dont even know who he is !

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Eddie Jones on 17:46 - Mar 20 with 1455 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Eddie Jones on 01:23 - Mar 20 by timcocking

No, fair point.

Eddie Jones on 17:48 - Mar 20 with 1438 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Eddie Jones on 02:41 - Mar 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I didn't Baz, and I definitely didn't mean it, but I can see how it might read that way.

Eddie Jones on 17:48 - Mar 20 with 1430 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Eddie Jones on 09:08 - Mar 20 by kingshill

So if we stop calling them pikeys, will their self esteem be raised so much that they'll stop thieving and leaving their sh1t wherever they turn up illegally because that's the truth about them as a "race", like it or not

What, all of them?

Eddie Jones on 18:31 - Mar 20 with 1412 viewskingshill

Eddie Jones on 17:48 - Mar 20 by BrianMcCarthy

What, all of them?

Just the response I expected.
Probably not all of them but whenever a group park for any time the number of crimes seem to coincidently rise in the area.
As for the rubbish they leave maybe one or 2 are recycling conscious & pop to the dump with a few black bags but not so as you'd notice.
Eddie Jones on 18:59 - Mar 20 with 1393 viewskensalriser

I'm convinced. Seeing as they like camping so much, let's round them all up and put them into concentration camps so civilised society doesn't have to deal with their thieving and dirty habits any more.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Eddie Jones on 21:20 - Mar 20 with 1338 viewskingshill

Eddie Jones on 18:59 - Mar 20 by kensalriser

I'm convinced. Seeing as they like camping so much, let's round them all up and put them into concentration camps so civilised society doesn't have to deal with their thieving and dirty habits any more.

I think we should set them up a lovely place in newly posh Kensal Rise, I'm sure all the luvvies there would be delighted.
Make for some interesting conversations at the school gates of a morning.....
Eddie Jones on 01:03 - Mar 21 with 1290 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Eddie Jones on 10:41 - Mar 19 by BrianMcCarthy

The travelling community believe they are a race.

Doesn't mean that they are.
Eddie Jones on 01:09 - Mar 21 with 1286 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Eddie Jones on 02:41 - Mar 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

"Jobs, wealth, opportunity and respect are still denied to people who weren't born white, male, straight and non-traveller."
Eddie Jones on 02:17 - Mar 21 with 1278 viewstimcocking

A great documentary on Irish travelers, 'Knuckle'. It's like watching a real life version of father Ted combined with snatch.

Ps I know you didn't mean it like that Bri, only teasing
[Post edited 21 Mar 2016 2:18]
Eddie Jones on 09:31 - Mar 21 with 1218 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Eddie Jones on 01:03 - Mar 21 by Benny_the_Ball

Doesn't mean that they are.

True. A matter of opinions.

It's only words, though. As we know from Norn Iron sectarianism is just as dangerous as racism.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024