Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, long shot, can we go up next season? 23:51 - Mar 8 with 11994 viewsBrightonhoop

Can we? With this squad?

Do we want to?

Would love to see Ollie do so. Not sure we could achieve four or five seasons there, and not sure we should aspire to.

Foot ball is too weird for words these days. If we did, for one season, and gave the grimness of all grim games to the scum one more time that would do me. If we got relegated again no problem. Just to stick it up the scum again win or lose. Just to see the melts crumble again.

Over to you.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 11:04 - Mar 9 with 3202 viewsNorthernr

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 11:01 - Mar 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Because of the ridiculous way English football is financed every team that comes down will be financially stronger than the three teams the year before.

Just found out that football league sides don't get any prize money unless they are promoted.

Trickle down economics doesn't work in football either it seems.

Except that two of the three teams likely to come down this time are in an absolute mess - the Sunderland guy is clearly pulling the funding and Allam at Hull has been asset stripping them for 12 months. Don't be expecting Newcastle or Villa style sprees from either of them.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 11:12 - Mar 9 with 3167 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 11:04 - Mar 9 by Northernr

Except that two of the three teams likely to come down this time are in an absolute mess - the Sunderland guy is clearly pulling the funding and Allam at Hull has been asset stripping them for 12 months. Don't be expecting Newcastle or Villa style sprees from either of them.

Yeah that's true.

I think all you need to do to stay in the Premier division now is to be organised and 'not a mess' as there will usually be at least a few Alam like lunatics to prop you up.

Burnley / Watford / Bournemouth playing the organisation game very well and gobbling points off of the unstable sides you mentioned.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2017 11:12]
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 11:21 - Mar 9 with 3144 viewspaulparker

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:55 - Mar 9 by Northernr

Disagree that it won't be easier next season. I thought this season was the toughest looking Championship in years - assuming we lose Newcastle, Brighton and one of Sheff Wed or Leeds going up, and get Sunderland, Hull and probably Boro that's weaker straight away. Losing Bristol City and getting Fleetwood likewise. And I still, as this season, don't see why Villa are suddenly going to get going. The chairman's a fcking idiot. Birmingham are weaker than they were at the start of the season, Wolves likewise, Norwich likewise, Huddersfield will lose Mooy, Brown and Palmer. Cardiff I'll give you but lots of other teams are either leaving or getting worse.

Got to agree with you clive
Karanka will leave Boro when they go down, and mid table prem clubs will take the likes of Forshaw, Friend & Gibson
Hulls manager is on a short term deal and so are a lot of the players they signed in January, no way will they be there if they get relegated
Sunderland have huge debt and ellis is looking to sell the club, moyes is also finished a s a manager & I cannot see Gibson, Oshea, Larrson & co having much of an impact on the championship

Villa should do well next year once Bruce clears out the deadwood
Birmingham& Wolves are basket case clubs ala us when Briatore was here
Norwich who knows depends on who they have as a manager
Monk I reckon will leave Leeds for a better job if they don't go up
and your right the vultures will be picking off players and staff at Huddersfield come the summer
the championship will be a lot more even next year anyone who puts a real run together has a brilliant chance of going up

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:01 - Mar 9 with 3049 viewsAntti_Heinola

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 08:28 - Mar 9 by paulparker

il be in a minority of one but I don't want to go up, yes I think we will do well next year
but what's the point apart from the obscene money you get
if we went up you know TF would go all silly again, you know we would do away with the good work Les and the rest of the team have done
the ground will be packed with tourists, you would have fans buying season tickets just to make a profit , plastic mancs, plastic gooners all in the home ends
we would also be ripped a new one every week , it would be the worst thing ever to happen to us
id take another 2 or 3 years at championship level enjoying the players we have , its taken me nearly 2 years to start caring about the players and club again I don't want to spoil it by going up id just take watching us being competitive and getting the atmosphere going at HQ before anything
if I were to be greedy then id love us to concentrate on the cups imagine winning the league cup or fa cup , im like Bazza im over 40 now and time is running out I want to see us play in Europe , I want to see 2-3 k QPR fans take over some foreign town even if we got knocked out in the first stages it wouldn't matter

I'm with you paul.
Couldn't give the tiniest little sh!t about promotion. Yes, a season like the one under Neil would be fantastic. But don't want promotion at the end of it into the terrible, boring league above us.
Like the Championship. Happy to stay here, thanks.

Bare bones.

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:08 - Mar 9 with 3010 viewsTacticalR

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:01 - Mar 9 by Antti_Heinola

I'm with you paul.
Couldn't give the tiniest little sh!t about promotion. Yes, a season like the one under Neil would be fantastic. But don't want promotion at the end of it into the terrible, boring league above us.
Like the Championship. Happy to stay here, thanks.

This is why I am completely against winning football matches.

Air hostess clique

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:10 - Mar 9 with 3008 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Two weeks ago we were talking about relegation, now we're talking about promotion...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:10 - Mar 9 with 3006 viewssimmo

Same as every year, I would like to win the league without getting promoted.

Happy with more entertainment and improvement on this season though, be good to see how certain youngsters develop further and where the next Manning is coming from!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:15 - Mar 9 with 2980 viewsTacticalR

If we get anywhere near the play-offs the manager should be sacked. It's worked for Birmingham this season and Derby last season.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:33 - Mar 9 with 2919 viewsYorkRanger

I would be happy just to see the rebuilding continue. A top 10 finish and flirting with the playoffs to keep it interesting would be fine by me.

Heresy I know, but maybe even a cup run?
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:40 - Mar 9 with 2894 viewskropotkin41

It would be great to have a successful season and even get promoted, but it's what would happen next that is crucial. If we kept our heads, kept our manager, probably soaked up a season of struggle and probably even relegation that'd all be fine......... as long as we weren't to see a repeat of the last time.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:40 - Mar 9 with 2890 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ok, you've all convinced me.

Balls to the Premiership, just give me a team full of QPR youngsters and a cup run resulting in European qualification.

QPR v FC Fartzkins in July 2018. I'll be there.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:47 - Mar 9 with 2865 viewsYorkRanger

I also agree that the Championship will weaken next year. Selfishly a regeation trio of Hull, Middlesbrough and Sunderalnd would be great for me....
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:01 - Mar 9 with 2831 viewsLongsufferingR

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 12:47 - Mar 9 by YorkRanger

I also agree that the Championship will weaken next year. Selfishly a regeation trio of Hull, Middlesbrough and Sunderalnd would be great for me....

...add Sheff.U. and maybe Scunthorpe and Bradford coming up and you'll be in your element!
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:13 - Mar 9 with 2790 viewsbaz_qpr

I think its pretty rare for a side to get promoted without a premiership quality striker, and I think we are still short there, as we are at centre half.

Get those two positions right, and god forbid we can keep Robinson fit then we have a very tasty looking side
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:33 - Mar 9 with 2734 viewsCroydonCaptJack

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:48 - Mar 9 by davman

The "target" should be to improve on wherever we finish this season and that should be the same season on season. If we pull that off, we will get promoted eventually.

We now compete in each game, which is an improvement from Newcastle, Brighton and others earlier this season, but we are yet to dominate a game from start to finish. This means that most games can actually go either way, so it'd be a toss of a coin over a season where we'll end up.

Also, next season, there may be loads of teams on the up - Villa and Norwich won't be this bad again, Fulham are looking good, Leeds and Huddersfield, if not this season will push on, Cardiff under Mr Warnock may well move forward, Sheff Weds have performed consistently over the year. And then there are the promoted and relegated teams - who knows what state Sheffield United will be in when they get back to the Championship? Certainly used to winning, which is a good habit. Sunderland have been coming this way for years and could well do a Newcastle *or maybe a Villa?). Hull and Middlesbrough probably won't change much and will be strong. Then there are always unexpected teams pushing on on top of the ELEVEN potential contenders I have posted here.

It will not get any easier...

So, let's not set expectations too high; continual improvement is what we need to look for...

You could literally make the same case with different clubs any of the last half a dozen seasons.
Also, at the end of the day, it looks like Reading will get into the playoffs. We drew with them at home and were easily the better team at their place a couple of months back, so it is possible to get there.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:37 - Mar 9 with 3141 viewsdavman

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 10:55 - Mar 9 by Northernr

Disagree that it won't be easier next season. I thought this season was the toughest looking Championship in years - assuming we lose Newcastle, Brighton and one of Sheff Wed or Leeds going up, and get Sunderland, Hull and probably Boro that's weaker straight away. Losing Bristol City and getting Fleetwood likewise. And I still, as this season, don't see why Villa are suddenly going to get going. The chairman's a fcking idiot. Birmingham are weaker than they were at the start of the season, Wolves likewise, Norwich likewise, Huddersfield will lose Mooy, Brown and Palmer. Cardiff I'll give you but lots of other teams are either leaving or getting worse.

Fair enough, but I still think we have as much chance as around about eleven or twelve other teams. With a bit of luck, we may push on, but it could equally go the other way.

How about we get the 50 points we need for safety by Xmas and then "concentrate on the FA Cup" rather on the league for once. I would take a cup run to at least a semi-final (trip to Wembley) and a mid table finish rather than promotion to the Premiershite. ..

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:38 - Mar 9 with 3135 viewsNorthernr

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:37 - Mar 9 by davman

Fair enough, but I still think we have as much chance as around about eleven or twelve other teams. With a bit of luck, we may push on, but it could equally go the other way.

How about we get the 50 points we need for safety by Xmas and then "concentrate on the FA Cup" rather on the league for once. I would take a cup run to at least a semi-final (trip to Wembley) and a mid table finish rather than promotion to the Premiershite. ..

agreed.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:41 - Mar 9 with 3126 viewsDorse

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:37 - Mar 9 by davman

What is this 'cup run' of which you speak?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:44 - Mar 9 with 3119 viewsLongsufferingR

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 13:41 - Mar 9 by Dorse

What is this 'cup run' of which you speak?

It's the new half time entertainment for next season. Like an egg and spoon race but with cups of hot tea instead carried round the pole, round Jude, and then chucked over the away fans in the lower School End. Extra points depending on the degree of burns inflicted.
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 14:26 - Mar 9 with 3059 viewsSimonJames

No. We might just creep into the play offs... but I reckon it'll be more like 8th place, behind the teams with money, or with good infrastructures that have been building up longer than ours.

100% of people who drink water will die.

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 14:41 - Mar 9 with 3044 viewsTacticalR

Pretty hard to know what's going to happen in football. In the QPR Podcast in September JFH said that Chery was the centre of the team and that Polter was 'crucial'.

Air hostess clique

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 15:06 - Mar 9 with 3007 viewsDannytheR

Impossible to say with any certainty, but generally teams who build up a head of steam at the end of a season then carry it on to the next, so if we can keep this run of form going another couple of months, then it's a start. And while it looks very obvious with hindsight, I don't know many of us that were genuinely expecting to go up under Warnock, much less bulldoze through the first half of the season like we did.

NOT saying we could, but one of the things that makes the Championship interesting — because God knows, it isn't the football — is the sheer unpredictable chaos of it. Every season it's the same - most of the big hitters who are expected to stroll to promotion fall short, often comically so (this year: Norwich, Villa, Wolves) and the actual contenders are often a right ragbag. This year, who would have expected Leeds (more of a shambles off the pitch than we are) or Huddersfield (nowhere grothole who lost the division's best goalkeeper to us) to be doing so well?

But you look at how we played this week and think there's the makings of something there, maybe...
So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 15:10 - Mar 9 with 2993 viewsBoston

I'd be happy to watch the continuance of building a strong side next season, coupled with improved performances and results. If Mr Holloway produces a well balanced side bereft of megalomaniacs that can attain promotion the following year, I'd be delighted. That and a ninety thousand stadium...with an indoors swimming pool.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 15:14 - Mar 9 with 2994 viewskensalriser

Looing at the PL table really underlines how badly we screwed up those two promotions - it's divided neatly into PL stalwarts 1-7 and short term tenants 8-20.

Of the latter Stoke are probably the longest serving (ten years), an amazing achievement considering how long they were out of it. A couple are not long out of the third tier and most of the rest have been in the Champ in the last five years.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 15:21 - Mar 9 with 2976 viewsTacticalR

So, long shot, can we go up next season? on 15:14 - Mar 9 by kensalriser

Looing at the PL table really underlines how badly we screwed up those two promotions - it's divided neatly into PL stalwarts 1-7 and short term tenants 8-20.

Of the latter Stoke are probably the longest serving (ten years), an amazing achievement considering how long they were out of it. A couple are not long out of the third tier and most of the rest have been in the Champ in the last five years.

If there are 13 teams in the tenants league, and 3 get relegated, that's a 23% relegation rate, so it's pretty easy to screw up.

Air hostess clique

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024