Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bar access 15:52 - Aug 12 with 34590 viewsrochdaleriddler

Sandy laners not allowed to have a pint at half time, but main stand is??

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Bar access on 23:42 - Aug 14 with 2556 viewsPhil

Bar access on 22:52 - Aug 14 by R17ALE

There is a trend on here of folk who once lived in Rochdale who have since moved away, of lauding it against those who have chosen to stay in Rochdale.

Those "down under" are the worst culprits. Fook off! We've sussed you. Not you peaky!

And there is a tvvat in the Czech Republic too. And others elsewhere.

There are also those who hold the club and town dear to heart. We stayed and we defend. And I suspect we always will.

Rochdale IS a shthole though. We make Barrow look like Barcelona. If I managed to escape I'd be pretty smug as well. Unfortunately I'm stuck here because I can't sell my house mainly because, well, because of the first four words of this post.

On topic: this is still the same club who saw the need of Sandy Laners to have a bar facility at half time, to the extent of allowing them to leave the stand and come back (I doubt other clubs allow this). Whatever short term issue happened on Saturday will surely be fixed soon enough.
Bar access on 00:29 - Aug 15 with 2489 viewsD_Alien

Bar access on 23:42 - Aug 14 by Phil

Rochdale IS a shthole though. We make Barrow look like Barcelona. If I managed to escape I'd be pretty smug as well. Unfortunately I'm stuck here because I can't sell my house mainly because, well, because of the first four words of this post.

On topic: this is still the same club who saw the need of Sandy Laners to have a bar facility at half time, to the extent of allowing them to leave the stand and come back (I doubt other clubs allow this). Whatever short term issue happened on Saturday will surely be fixed soon enough.

There's only one thing that's shit about Rochdale, and that's people who run it down

The Barrow/Barca comparison is beyond ridiculous. Have you been to Barrow town centre and compared it with Rochdale's? Or Healey Dell? Or the Lake? Or Watergrove? Or Greenbooth? Or for a walk on the moors? No doubt there's poor areas in both towns, but the fact you make such an outlandish comparison puts you right up there with the Down Under brigade (always excepting those with better manners)

Might I also suggest the reason you can't sell your house is nowt to do with the town, and much more likely to be the pervasive stench of snobbery emanating from the walls
[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 0:39]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bar access on 01:13 - Aug 15 with 2450 viewsTVOS1907

Bar access on 00:29 - Aug 15 by D_Alien

There's only one thing that's shit about Rochdale, and that's people who run it down

The Barrow/Barca comparison is beyond ridiculous. Have you been to Barrow town centre and compared it with Rochdale's? Or Healey Dell? Or the Lake? Or Watergrove? Or Greenbooth? Or for a walk on the moors? No doubt there's poor areas in both towns, but the fact you make such an outlandish comparison puts you right up there with the Down Under brigade (always excepting those with better manners)

Might I also suggest the reason you can't sell your house is nowt to do with the town, and much more likely to be the pervasive stench of snobbery emanating from the walls

You beat me to it.

I walked from Littleborough, up through Ealees and round Hollingworth Lake on Monday morning. It was as beautiful as ever.

I can go up Calderbrook, up to the top of Shore and over to Wardle, along the canal towards Walsden or back along the canal into Littleborough, up Blackstone Edge Old Road or the main A58 and maybe over Whitaker.

And there isn't a shthole in sight!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bar access on 03:23 - Aug 15 with 2434 viewskiwidale

Bar access on 22:52 - Aug 14 by R17ALE

There is a trend on here of folk who once lived in Rochdale who have since moved away, of lauding it against those who have chosen to stay in Rochdale.

Those "down under" are the worst culprits. Fook off! We've sussed you. Not you peaky!

And there is a tvvat in the Czech Republic too. And others elsewhere.

There are also those who hold the club and town dear to heart. We stayed and we defend. And I suspect we always will.

For what its worth I'm proud to say I'm from Rochdale and Dale is my team all my mates know that. I will never call it a shithole that offends me because I don't believe it is. I will always defend my home town I still have an allegiance to the Town that time has not diminished.

edit to add... I believe Rochdale being a Pennine town is set in a place of great natural beauty some of its vista is outstanding. I also believe my decision to leave was the right one and although this isn't a contest Browns Bay on Auckland's North shore where I have lived for 39 years is my piece of paradise.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 3:38]

This is not the time for bickering.

Bar access on 05:38 - Aug 15 with 2416 viewsDiddyDave

Sorry for upsetting you blokes who know it all (again),I was just trying to make merry of summat I consider to be a storm in a teacup and could see the funny side. But there you go,all you blokes who think I`m taking the piss out of the town and the club,I would never do that,I`m as much of a Rochdalian as anybody on here. I`ve never ever said Rochdale is a you know what,it`s where I was born,where I lived for 24 years,where I had,and still have,some tremendous friends and where I`ll always call "home". You blokes wanna take a chill pill,we all had that wonderful ability to laugh at ourselves,it`s called an English sense of humour,but it looks like even that has disappeared. Up the Dale.
Bar access on 07:52 - Aug 15 with 2303 viewsnordenblue

Bar access on 05:38 - Aug 15 by DiddyDave

Sorry for upsetting you blokes who know it all (again),I was just trying to make merry of summat I consider to be a storm in a teacup and could see the funny side. But there you go,all you blokes who think I`m taking the piss out of the town and the club,I would never do that,I`m as much of a Rochdalian as anybody on here. I`ve never ever said Rochdale is a you know what,it`s where I was born,where I lived for 24 years,where I had,and still have,some tremendous friends and where I`ll always call "home". You blokes wanna take a chill pill,we all had that wonderful ability to laugh at ourselves,it`s called an English sense of humour,but it looks like even that has disappeared. Up the Dale.

Personal opinion of the town apart,I'm not too sure your previous post was anything remotely in jest and you've now backtracked having read the replies...

I moved out of the town some 5/6 years ago and would never move back, but thats a personal choice and one made whilst still visiting the area fairly often,I find it amazing how someone on the other side of the planet sees it fit to call a place they've not stepped foot in for god knows how long though.....
Bar access on 08:23 - Aug 15 with 2274 viewsTalkingSutty

Bar access on 01:13 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

You beat me to it.

I walked from Littleborough, up through Ealees and round Hollingworth Lake on Monday morning. It was as beautiful as ever.

I can go up Calderbrook, up to the top of Shore and over to Wardle, along the canal towards Walsden or back along the canal into Littleborough, up Blackstone Edge Old Road or the main A58 and maybe over Whitaker.

And there isn't a shthole in sight!

Well said, they'll have to take me out of this place in a box ( Littleborough)😀. Of course Rochdale has got it's problems and run down areas but for me there are a lot more positives than negatives. You're right about the surrounding areas of the Town, some fantastic countryside.

The Town Centre itself will always attract the pests, all Town centres do and Rochdale is no different. Maybe it's just me being my normal positive self but I am detecting positive vibes. A visit to the Feel Good Festival included a couple of drinks in the fantastic new wine bar and there are plans for other similar establishment opening in the near future, that attracts footfall. Thousands packed the festival and there wasn't a hint of trouble,plenty of characters though but Rochdale's a tough Town, it always has been. Is there a more beautiful Town Centre architecturally in the North West? I don't think so.

We have a large Asian Community in the Town, they are tainted with the tiny minority of groomers who have damaged this Town so much, Cyril did his bit also. We've never had race riots though unlike our neighbouring Town. More integration would be nice but that's always been a problem.

A lot of us have pretty privileged life's, we can afford to follow our team, own a car, go on holidays etc and remove ourselves from the grittiness of the Town by living on the outskirts, but a hour or two spent in the Regal Moon sums up the Town for me and provides a non sanitised healthy reality check. A very busy pub that's packed full of life's characters, some are surviving by the skin of their teeth, others don't even have any teeth. It's friendly though, strangers speak to each other and the atmosphere is always noisy and jovial, a great place to enjoy a pint without the wife, or even a cappuccino!!😀. The people make this Town and Rochdalians in general are some of the friendliest and humorous you could ever wish to meet.

It's a poor Town and rough around the edges but anybody who thinks it's a shit hole needs to get out a bit more.Like R17ALE suggested,those who don't like it need to jog on instead of keep putting the boot in.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 8:59]
Bar access on 08:31 - Aug 15 with 2253 viewsTVOS1907

Bar access on 08:23 - Aug 15 by TalkingSutty

Well said, they'll have to take me out of this place in a box ( Littleborough)😀. Of course Rochdale has got it's problems and run down areas but for me there are a lot more positives than negatives. You're right about the surrounding areas of the Town, some fantastic countryside.

The Town Centre itself will always attract the pests, all Town centres do and Rochdale is no different. Maybe it's just me being my normal positive self but I am detecting positive vibes. A visit to the Feel Good Festival included a couple of drinks in the fantastic new wine bar and there are plans for other similar establishment opening in the near future, that attracts footfall. Thousands packed the festival and there wasn't a hint of trouble,plenty of characters though but Rochdale's a tough Town, it always has been. Is there a more beautiful Town Centre architecturally in the North West? I don't think so.

We have a large Asian Community in the Town, they are tainted with the tiny minority of groomers who have damaged this Town so much, Cyril did his bit also. We've never had race riots though unlike our neighbouring Town. More integration would be nice but that's always been a problem.

A lot of us have pretty privileged life's, we can afford to follow our team, own a car, go on holidays etc and remove ourselves from the grittiness of the Town by living on the outskirts, but a hour or two spent in the Regal Moon sums up the Town for me and provides a non sanitised healthy reality check. A very busy pub that's packed full of life's characters, some are surviving by the skin of their teeth, others don't even have any teeth. It's friendly though, strangers speak to each other and the atmosphere is always noisy and jovial, a great place to enjoy a pint without the wife, or even a cappuccino!!😀. The people make this Town and Rochdalians in general are some of the friendliest and humorous you could ever wish to meet.

It's a poor Town and rough around the edges but anybody who thinks it's a shit hole needs to get out a bit more.Like R17ALE suggested,those who don't like it need to jog on instead of keep putting the boot in.

Brilliant post, TS.

Login to get fewer ads

Bar access on 08:33 - Aug 15 with 2249 viewsD_Alien

Not been in the new wine bar - do you mean the one opposite La Mancha? Would you recommend it? And does it serve cask ale (usually the reason I avoid wine bars, due to lack of, although partial to a decent wine with food)

[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 8:35]

Bar access on 08:42 - Aug 15 with 2220 viewsTalkingSutty

Bar access on 08:33 - Aug 15 by D_Alien

Not been in the new wine bar - do you mean the one opposite La Mancha? Would you recommend it? And does it serve cask ale (usually the reason I avoid wine bars, due to lack of, although partial to a decent wine with food)

[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 8:35]

Yes, Bulls Brow just opposite La Mancha.I don't think it sells cask ale but it really surprised me how classy and atmospheric the place was. It's set in what looks like 2 brick tunnels and the choice of Wines and gin etc was great. From memory there looked a good selection of bottled beers, I was drinking red wine. A place you can go with your wife/ partner and they would be impressed. The Charcuterie platters looked excellent also but we didn't sample any. Welcome to Rochdale... the Venice of the North!!😀👍
[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 8:47]
Bar access on 08:48 - Aug 15 with 2201 viewsD_Alien

Bar access on 08:42 - Aug 15 by TalkingSutty

Yes, Bulls Brow just opposite La Mancha.I don't think it sells cask ale but it really surprised me how classy and atmospheric the place was. It's set in what looks like 2 brick tunnels and the choice of Wines and gin etc was great. From memory there looked a good selection of bottled beers, I was drinking red wine. A place you can go with your wife/ partner and they would be impressed. The Charcuterie platters looked excellent also but we didn't sample any. Welcome to Rochdale... the Venice of the North!!😀👍
[Post edited 15 Aug 2017 8:47]

Cheers, I'll give it a whirl next time I'm in town with my other half. Mind you, she's impressed with t' Regal Moon!

Bar access on 09:07 - Aug 15 with 2163 viewsBobbyjoe

It's greatly to the credit of Rochdale and Rochdalians that, despite an avalanche of negative publicity over several decades now, we remain justly proud of our town. Its geographical situation, as others have pointed out, is second to none (despite the weather it brings! ), and you will travel a long way before you come across more open, friendly, welcoming people. God knows, we have little enough to be smug about, but as Rochdalians, new and old, we rub along pretty smoothly together, and our self-deprecating humour takes us a long way.
Bar access on 09:10 - Aug 15 with 2156 viewsDiddyDave

Bar access on 07:52 - Aug 15 by nordenblue

Personal opinion of the town apart,I'm not too sure your previous post was anything remotely in jest and you've now backtracked having read the replies...

I moved out of the town some 5/6 years ago and would never move back, but thats a personal choice and one made whilst still visiting the area fairly often,I find it amazing how someone on the other side of the planet sees it fit to call a place they've not stepped foot in for god knows how long though.....

How do you work out I`m calling the place? I just saw a situation and thought it was amusing as I said,so very English when it comes to the mighty pint. I know,I used to love a pint of good English ale myself and certainly miss it,this Aussie beer is bloody shite so I don`t bother anymore.
Oh yeah,by the way,I was back in Rochdale late last year and went to the Maidstone cup replay,so I think I can still discuss the town,Dale,Hornets,and owt else,if I so wish.
I had a personal choice too.......
Bar access on 09:23 - Aug 15 with 2134 viewsSuddenLad

Let's stop all this sh1thole nonsense. It's not funny, not relevant and certainly not true. Let's take a minute to see it through the eyes of a outsider........

https://jules-hornbrook.com/2017/08/13/rockerdale-feeling-good/

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Bar access on 09:24 - Aug 15 with 2133 viewsTVOS1907

Bar access on 09:10 - Aug 15 by DiddyDave

How do you work out I`m calling the place? I just saw a situation and thought it was amusing as I said,so very English when it comes to the mighty pint. I know,I used to love a pint of good English ale myself and certainly miss it,this Aussie beer is bloody shite so I don`t bother anymore.
Oh yeah,by the way,I was back in Rochdale late last year and went to the Maidstone cup replay,so I think I can still discuss the town,Dale,Hornets,and owt else,if I so wish.
I had a personal choice too.......

Hornets have their own messageboard.

Bar access on 09:38 - Aug 15 with 2110 viewsflyerdale

Amen to that.
Bar access on 10:14 - Aug 15 with 2044 viewsdownunder

Bar access on 00:29 - Aug 15 by D_Alien

Bugger. Looks like I have been elected the leader of a brigade, and I have not yet joined the army.
Bar access on 10:16 - Aug 15 with 2038 viewsR17ALE

Bar access on 08:48 - Aug 15 by D_Alien

Cheers, I'll give it a whirl next time I'm in town with my other half. Mind you, she's impressed with t' Regal Moon!

You'll be impressed. Even better is the fact the owner is a Dale fan!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Bar access on 10:20 - Aug 15 with 2024 viewsdownunder

Coincidentally, the next thing I click on is a news story that fits in with this thread.
Someone has stolen one of our sh*tholes.
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2017/08/authorities-baffled-after-enti
Bar access on 11:21 - Aug 15 with 1924 viewsKenBoon

Massive prawns
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iom1b
Bar access on 11:24 - Aug 15 with 1922 views49thseason

If the new safety officer is so red-hot, why do fans now have to compete with cars to get into the ground at the Sandy Lane entrance? A fence has been erected where there once used to be a pedestrian entrance ( next to the stand) which enabled access to the turnstiles without having to check if a car is turning into the ground. Its even worse at, the end of the game.
Bar access on 12:19 - Aug 15 with 1815 viewsrod_leach

Bar access on 11:24 - Aug 15 by 49thseason

If the new safety officer is so red-hot, why do fans now have to compete with cars to get into the ground at the Sandy Lane entrance? A fence has been erected where there once used to be a pedestrian entrance ( next to the stand) which enabled access to the turnstiles without having to check if a car is turning into the ground. Its even worse at, the end of the game.

I agree. Saw this on Saturday and couldn't believe it. Ridiculous decision.
Bar access on 12:20 - Aug 15 with 1814 viewsD_Alien

Bar access on 10:14 - Aug 15 by downunder

Bugger. Looks like I have been elected the leader of a brigade, and I have not yet joined the army.

Had you in mind when I mentioned exceptions!

Bar access on 12:29 - Aug 15 with 1785 viewsE_Bearshaw

Just want to echo some of the above posts and say how much I love living in this town. I lived away for uni, albeit only down the road in Rusholme, and also spent some time living in Bury after I graduated. Whilst I certainly wouldn't change any of these experiences, I'm certainly glad I ended up back here. Great people, great pubs, and this club.

It seemed fashionable when I was in school to belittle the town, but never in my adult life have I thought to do so. You stick up for your hometown and you defend it in the strongest terms possible, or at least that's what my dad always taught me. He grew up in Blackpool and didn't move over to Rochdale until his teens, but even now I'd expect an almighty scolding for anyone that says anything negative about where he grew up.

One thing I've always noticed is if I bring someone new to this town (my girlfriend for example), they always have something positive to say. My girlfriend often asks me if we can go for a walk around Hollingworth Lake during our days off work, and can't walk through the town centre without remarking on the stunning town hall. Not to mention the range of pubs as well! I'd challenge anyone to argue against a Thursday night down at The Flying Horse (Jam Night), or an evening playing "Jukebox Cricket" down at The Cem. Friendly people and great environments all year round. And whilst I didn't make it down on either of the evenings for Feel Good, I'm told it was a great success once again, and even had the added bonus this year of many travelling in on the tram to be part of our towns party.

I love Rochdale, and I'm so glad so many others do too.
Bar access on 13:35 - Aug 15 with 1647 viewsjav14

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2017/august/update-ratcliffe-bars-access/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024