Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Glory of the Cup 12:48 - Nov 3 with 6793 viewsPhil

Interview on the official site: Keith Hill admits the FA Cup was "unimportant" in his first spell at Rochdale, against the priority of winning promotion. Says this has now changed in his second spell.

With reduced ticket prices, closed stands, cut-down programme and non-league referee, I'm not sure anyone else has got the same message.

The salary of the current Staff and Players owes a debt to the past; to Man U in '86, Liverpool '96 and the televised Wolves game in '03. We've had cup success in recent seasons without the reward of a real big-money tie. Let's hope that this year, from such low-key cut-price beginnings, we can make a cup run to remember.
Glory of the Cup on 22:49 - Nov 3 with 1804 views442Dale

Glory of the Cup on 22:47 - Nov 3 by chalkyncfc

After going two nil down against Bristol Rovers the mighty Notts played the best football that I've seen them play in years to win 4-2

Since 2010?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Glory of the Cup on 22:56 - Nov 3 with 1797 viewschalkyncfc

Glory of the Cup on 22:49 - Nov 3 by 442Dale

Since 2010?

I would say that they played even better than the 2010 side tonight
Glory of the Cup on 22:59 - Nov 3 with 1794 viewsTVOS1907

Glory of the Cup on 22:47 - Nov 3 by chalkyncfc

After going two nil down against Bristol Rovers the mighty Notts played the best football that I've seen them play in years to win 4-2

We know. It's on the BBC website, Match of the Day and SSN.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Glory of the Cup on 23:00 - Nov 3 with 1790 viewsTVOS1907

Glory of the Cup on 22:49 - Nov 3 by 442Dale

Since 2010?

Rumour has it that Bromley are playing in yellow tomorrow instead of their usual White/Black/White...

Glory of the Cup on 23:02 - Nov 3 with 1786 viewsnordenblue

Glory of the Cup on 23:00 - Nov 3 by TVOS1907

Rumour has it that Bromley are playing in yellow tomorrow instead of their usual White/Black/White...

You need more detail,what about their choice in sock colour?
Glory of the Cup on 23:04 - Nov 3 with 1783 viewsTVOS1907

Glory of the Cup on 23:02 - Nov 3 by nordenblue

All yellow, according to one of the few posts on their forum.

Glory of the Cup on 23:11 - Nov 3 with 1771 viewschalkyncfc

Glory of the Cup on 22:59 - Nov 3 by TVOS1907

We know. It's on the BBC website, Match of the Day and SSN.

Wow,I didn't even know that they knew me
Glory of the Cup on 23:11 - Nov 3 with 1771 viewsnordenblue

Glory of the Cup on 23:04 - Nov 3 by TVOS1907

All yellow, according to one of the few posts on their forum.

Too much yellow going on there,442 won't be able to concentrate on the game....
Login to get fewer ads

Glory of the Cup on 23:11 - Nov 3 with 1771 views442Dale

Glory of the Cup on 23:02 - Nov 3 by nordenblue

Sock colour isn't detail. The subliminal use of trim is detail. This could be discussed at length.

Glory of the Cup on 23:11 - Nov 3 with 1770 viewsD_Alien

The crowd at Notts tonight was well down on their league gates

Perhaps they didn't advertise the fixture enough?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Glory of the Cup on 23:16 - Nov 3 with 1763 viewschalkyncfc

Glory of the Cup on 23:11 - Nov 3 by D_Alien

The crowd at Notts tonight was well down on their league gates

Perhaps they didn't advertise the fixture enough?

The crowd wasn't good tbf,only about 3,500 Notts fans,the rest missed out on a cracker of a game,how many are you expecting tomorrow?
Glory of the Cup on 23:16 - Nov 3 with 1763 viewsnordenblue

Glory of the Cup on 23:11 - Nov 3 by 442Dale

Sock colour isn't detail. The subliminal use of trim is detail. This could be discussed at length.

For me it's within the detail of a kit,a sneaky trim is left for the purists to debate I'm afraid
Glory of the Cup on 23:25 - Nov 3 with 1756 viewsD_Alien

Glory of the Cup on 23:16 - Nov 3 by chalkyncfc

The crowd wasn't good tbf,only about 3,500 Notts fans,the rest missed out on a cracker of a game,how many are you expecting tomorrow?

Around 2000 i.e. below our league gates

The point I made about advertising isn't to do with Notts, but a reflection on those who expect the club to plough resources into advertising a fixture that anyone with any interest in Dale will know about anyway, in the hope that they'll turn up in droves, against all logic, previous experience and your gate being a typical example of what happens in the first round of the FA Cup at most clubs

Glory of the Cup on 09:02 - Nov 4 with 1607 viewsRAFCBLUE

Glory of the Cup on 22:10 - Nov 3 by TVOS1907

Eh?

How can you argue against giving Andrew Miller the Dale v Bromley tie, but indicate it might be OK for him to go to Blackburn or Wigan?

Why would he, a referee from County Durham, be potentially biased for a team in Kent, just because he referees in their league?

Was his dad biased for us v Maidstone last November or was Charles Breakspear biased for us in the first game at Maidstone?

What about David Webb at Barrow in January?

Like I said last night, Mr Miller has obviously gained good enough marks so far this season to be rewarded with a first round tie. It just so happens to be ours and I don't see why there is such a furore about it.

God help him if he isn't 100% perfect tomorrow!
[Post edited 3 Nov 2017 22:20]

No allegations of bias from me TVOS, just concerns over the level of experience of a referring appointment even compared to the other non-league refs being given a go today in a knockout competition that has significant value potential.

The purely neutral comment is because Mr Miller does have 90 minutes of Bromley players in a one off game vs no experience of us this season. That game finished 2-2 and had a fair bit in it for him to do. He'll be familiar with their players, not at all with ours.

Giving him an all league FA Cup tie is a real example of a push and he doesn't know any of the teams.

Regardless of the result, I hope the guy has a good game today and no one notices him.

He doesn't need to be 100% perfect but does need to be solid in understanding League 1 football and not be scared of giving a decision.

I'm sure if he gets it wrong, Hendo will have him on toast!

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Glory of the Cup on 09:03 - Nov 4 with 1607 viewschalkyncfc

Except for an email from the club there was no advertising of the game at all,in fact I mentioned to a couple of work mates who support Chelsea and Liverpool that I was going and they didn't even know that it was an FA Cup,they thought I was going a league game,the admission was £15,it should have been a tenner IMO and kids for a quid to try and attract more punters down,maybe then they would be inspired to go to the next home game
Glory of the Cup on 09:24 - Nov 4 with 1582 viewsD_Alien

Glory of the Cup on 09:03 - Nov 4 by chalkyncfc

Except for an email from the club there was no advertising of the game at all,in fact I mentioned to a couple of work mates who support Chelsea and Liverpool that I was going and they didn't even know that it was an FA Cup,they thought I was going a league game,the admission was £15,it should have been a tenner IMO and kids for a quid to try and attract more punters down,maybe then they would be inspired to go to the next home game

That's fair enough, but we've already had a season ticket initiative which, although it could've been marketed better overall, included targeting schools with "kids get in free"

Unless anyone has just awoken from a coma, it's difficult to see how anyone who wasn't already interested in watching Dale would have their interest piqued to watch us play Bromley - and that's with no disrespect to a national league club but with little history; hardly the stuff to get armchair Man U/City fans off their arses

Glory of the Cup on 09:27 - Nov 4 with 1573 views442Dale

Glory of the Cup on 22:56 - Nov 3 by chalkyncfc

I would say that they played even better than the 2010 side tonight

There was no 2010 side.

Don't start slipping.

Glory of the Cup on 10:11 - Nov 4 with 1529 viewsPhil

Some of the logic of this thread seems very strange.

Eg. "All refs make mistakes" being an argument why having a ref with zero league experience is not a problem.

Eg. Advertising the game is not necessary because "everyone already knows about it anyway".

I'm sure the ref is highly regarded and I hope he has a good game, but I stand by my opinion that he should be blooded in L2 matches, NOT in an FA Cup game. The potential rewards for either side are too high. A league match is just one of 46.

And the reduced ticket prices should have been marketed, surely the intention is to attract people who otherwise wouldn't be going today. I know the marketing discussion has been done to death. Email and poster campaigns cost very little and are a basic of any successful business
Glory of the Cup on 10:17 - Nov 4 with 1518 views442Dale

Glory of the Cup on 10:11 - Nov 4 by Phil

Eg. "All refs make mistakes" being an argument why having a ref with zero league experience is not a problem.

Eg. Advertising the game is not necessary because "everyone already knows about it anyway".

I'm sure the ref is highly regarded and I hope he has a good game, but I stand by my opinion that he should be blooded in L2 matches, NOT in an FA Cup game. The potential rewards for either side are too high. A league match is just one of 46.

And the reduced ticket prices should have been marketed, surely the intention is to attract people who otherwise wouldn't be going today. I know the marketing discussion has been done to death. Email and poster campaigns cost very little and are a basic of any successful business

What if a side is ultimately relegated because of a bad penalty decision? The importance of any game/competition is exactly as you said, an opinion. Personally, I think refs have a bloody hard job and do their best. As long as there is one to start a game and their objective is to ensure that match is as good as possible, then they'll do.

Glory of the Cup on 10:26 - Nov 4 with 1515 viewsTVOS1907

Glory of the Cup on 10:11 - Nov 4 by Phil

The reduced prices have been on the weekly club email for the last 2-3 weeks.

Glory of the Cup on 10:38 - Nov 4 with 1498 viewschalkyncfc

Glory of the Cup on 09:27 - Nov 4 by 442Dale

There was no 2010 side.

Don't start slipping.

The 2009/10 season meant NOTHING,that's the one thing that I've learnt from coming on here
Glory of the Cup on 10:55 - Nov 4 with 1463 viewschalkyncfc

Glory of the Cup on 09:24 - Nov 4 by D_Alien

That's fair enough, but we've already had a season ticket initiative which, although it could've been marketed better overall, included targeting schools with "kids get in free"

Unless anyone has just awoken from a coma, it's difficult to see how anyone who wasn't already interested in watching Dale would have their interest piqued to watch us play Bromley - and that's with no disrespect to a national league club but with little history; hardly the stuff to get armchair Man U/City fans off their arses

What is worrying to me is the total lack of interest in the lower leagues by millennials brought up on Sky Sports,when I was a teenager if you wanted to watch football you had to go to your local club or watch MOTD on Saturday night,now you can watch a game on your phone anytime
Man U/City fans in their 20's or younger won't go to watch Rochdale no matter how much its advertised,they think that the FA Cup starts at round three and Rochdale is probably considered an unfashionable club by them,the fact that my workmates had no idea that it was FA Cup week this week seems to suggest that the cup hasn't got the impact nor relevance that it had years ago to 'younger' fans
Glory of the Cup on 11:05 - Nov 4 with 1453 views442Dale

Glory of the Cup on 10:55 - Nov 4 by chalkyncfc

What is worrying to me is the total lack of interest in the lower leagues by millennials brought up on Sky Sports,when I was a teenager if you wanted to watch football you had to go to your local club or watch MOTD on Saturday night,now you can watch a game on your phone anytime
Man U/City fans in their 20's or younger won't go to watch Rochdale no matter how much its advertised,they think that the FA Cup starts at round three and Rochdale is probably considered an unfashionable club by them,the fact that my workmates had no idea that it was FA Cup week this week seems to suggest that the cup hasn't got the impact nor relevance that it had years ago to 'younger' fans

Can't really argue with that, you make a valid point about what the Cup means to the younger generation now.

That said, my 10 year old likes the competition more than the league, what with him being a traditionalist who can't understand why Watford aren't wearing their home kit at Chelsea this weekend.

Glory of the Cup on 11:28 - Nov 4 with 1432 viewsPhil

Glory of the Cup on 10:26 - Nov 4 by TVOS1907

The reduced prices have been on the weekly club email for the last 2-3 weeks.

What weekly club email?
Glory of the Cup on 12:28 - Nov 4 with 1387 viewsTVOS1907

Glory of the Cup on 11:28 - Nov 4 by Phil

What weekly club email?

The one of two that has been sent out every week for the past 10 years or so.

No idea what source has been used for email addresses - perhaps season tickets - but two separate emails do come every week with the week's news on, as well as details such as today's ticket prices.

If you aren't receiving it, maybe check your Junk folder or contact the club and ask them to add your email address to the list.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024