Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good Luck UK 12:13 - Dec 12 with 63285 viewsPlanetHonneywood

For the Eze, not the Pugh!

#votewarburton

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Good Luck UK on 20:50 - Dec 16 with 2125 viewsNed_Kennedys

Good Luck UK on 20:12 - Dec 16 by essextaxiboy

I was actually being honest .Its not anonymous..its me .

In the interviews she has done since Thursday she seems to get it without selling out. I wouldnt think Boris would fancy facing her on a Weds Lunchtime .

If they choose Corbyn in a dress ..game over

Hasn't she gone on record a number of times criticising Corbyn and his like? Very little chance of getting selected if Momentum etc continue to pull the strings
Good Luck UK on 21:01 - Dec 16 with 2109 viewscolinallcars

Good Luck UK on 20:50 - Dec 16 by Ned_Kennedys

Hasn't she gone on record a number of times criticising Corbyn and his like? Very little chance of getting selected if Momentum etc continue to pull the strings

Indeed. However there's nothing new here. I was a member of the Labour party in the early eighties and my fellow canvassers insisted on calling the Falklands “ the Malvinas “ whenever the subject arose on the doorsteps. Small wonder we alienated many voters.
Some in the Labour party are requesting that more moderate or centre right people join or rejoin the party. For an old git like me it's only a couple of quid a month. Problem is of course membership has, I think, quadrupled in recent years. It seems most of these new members are Momentum. I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Good Luck UK on 21:52 - Dec 16 with 2032 viewsCamberleyR

Good Luck UK on 21:01 - Dec 16 by colinallcars

Indeed. However there's nothing new here. I was a member of the Labour party in the early eighties and my fellow canvassers insisted on calling the Falklands “ the Malvinas “ whenever the subject arose on the doorsteps. Small wonder we alienated many voters.
Some in the Labour party are requesting that more moderate or centre right people join or rejoin the party. For an old git like me it's only a couple of quid a month. Problem is of course membership has, I think, quadrupled in recent years. It seems most of these new members are Momentum. I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

And because of Ed Milliband who scrapped the electoral college and introduced the one member one vote which in theory is the democratic thing to do, it ultimately means that it's probably only Momentum leaning Labour MPs who ever stand a chance of being leader.

Whoever gets it, it will be a thankless task to claw back support from the Tories, much like what Neil Kinnock inherited in 1983 facing a 140 seat majority knowing that the next election, if not the one after as well was already gone.

FWIW I think Long-Bailey would be no improvement on Corbyn, I just don't think she has any charisma or personality.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Good Luck UK on 21:58 - Dec 16 with 2023 viewsessextaxiboy

Good Luck UK on 20:50 - Dec 16 by Ned_Kennedys

She has and she is going to get real grief if she stands .
if she can come through that she deserves respect. Corbyns period of reflection is just to prepare his preferred successor
Good Luck UK on 22:19 - Dec 16 with 1973 viewsDannytheR

I think people are badly over-estimating how attractive the Labour party leadership is. (Unless they're just on a wind up.)

You're not going to get to be Prime Minister. If your leadership survives the next Tory landslide in 2024, you'll be looking at ten years of opposition, being monstered by The Sun and Facebook (you know *exactly* the same people now lavishing praise on Jess Phillips will be calling her a loudmouth and a loon if she actually gets the job), and by 2029 climate will be the only game in town anyway.

I'd imagine a lot of potential candidates are currently reflecting on the fact life is very short. Honestly, you've got more potential upside managing QPR.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 22:41]
Good Luck UK on 22:36 - Dec 16 with 1940 viewsDannytheR

Good Luck UK on 18:25 - Dec 16 by Benny_the_Ball

Yes I live in London. We may now have Canary Wharf but I'm not convinced we have more prosperity. Grotesque property prices mean that even the middle classes are JAM. Only yesterday I was talking to a lass whose family is struggling to survive in Crystal Palace despite her high profile City job. I have professional friends who moved to Manchester and Birmingham for the very same reasons. They now earn a little less but their standard and quality of life has improved immeasurably.

Busy doesn't necessarily equate to better. You need to take into account that many of those that work in London live in the Home Counties and beyond. Thus they take their prosperity elsewhere. As a result places like Surrey, Sussex, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex and Hampshire have continued to flourish whilst areas like Ealing, Acton, Southall, Hayes, Hillingdon, Latimer Road, Ladbroke Grove and (dare I say it) Shepherds Bush have gone downhill. Only super-rich areas like Notting Hill, Mayfair, Regents Park, Islington, Holland Park, etc. are recognisable from 30 years ago but they remain inaccessible to most folk.

Honest to God, you've lost me. With you all the way about the effects of gentrification on London and the way the middle classes have been squeezed out, but all sorts of people live here for all sorts of reasons, so out of 8million people I'd be wary of drawing too many conclusions about one person making a go of it in Manchester instead (you know the locals there also now complain about how terrible it is compared to 20 years ago because of Londoners moving up there?)

I can equally quote you loads of examples of people who've moved out of London and then come back in a hurry, having missed the place too much - me included.

Downtrodden and depressed? Really? London's hectic and stressful. Always has been. Wouldn't be London otherwise.

As for your description of different parts of town, again, I'm stumped. I grew up in Ladbroke Grove and Shepherds Bush. They've changed a lot, not always for the better, and to me the places they were in the 70s and 80s will always be home, but saying they've gone "downhill" is barmy. Bloody hell, do you actually remember Latimer Road in the early 80s? Hardly Frinton-on-sea was it?

If you do live in London, fair enough, but I do find it weird when people feel free to dig out the city others in earshot call home. The way London gets slagged off on here I'd find weird even if Rangers weren't a London club. I don't personally want to live in Buckinghamshire or Essex, but I wouldn't necessarily start holding forth about it.
Good Luck UK on 22:41 - Dec 16 with 1931 viewsDWQPR

So Emily Thornberry is to sue Caroline Flint over comments suggesting that Thornberry told one of her colleagues that she was pleased that her constituents weren’t as stupid as those in northern seats. Given Thornberry’s track record on making such nasty, snobbish comments, (2104 - white van man in Rochester flying a flag of St George outside his house), and given that Flint was very straightforward in always stating that the EU referendum result should be respected I know who I’d believe. Hopefully this will fast forward the demise of Thornberry as a politician.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Good Luck UK on 22:44 - Dec 16 with 1928 viewsessextaxiboy

Good Luck UK on 22:19 - Dec 16 by DannytheR

I think people are badly over-estimating how attractive the Labour party leadership is. (Unless they're just on a wind up.)

You're not going to get to be Prime Minister. If your leadership survives the next Tory landslide in 2024, you'll be looking at ten years of opposition, being monstered by The Sun and Facebook (you know *exactly* the same people now lavishing praise on Jess Phillips will be calling her a loudmouth and a loon if she actually gets the job), and by 2029 climate will be the only game in town anyway.

I'd imagine a lot of potential candidates are currently reflecting on the fact life is very short. Honestly, you've got more potential upside managing QPR.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 22:41]

If what you say is true Corbyn and Momentum have smashed the electoral system for decades . Whoever you vote for that is not good ...
Login to get fewer ads

Good Luck UK on 22:55 - Dec 16 with 1906 viewskarl

Good Luck UK on 22:36 - Dec 16 by DannytheR

Honest to God, you've lost me. With you all the way about the effects of gentrification on London and the way the middle classes have been squeezed out, but all sorts of people live here for all sorts of reasons, so out of 8million people I'd be wary of drawing too many conclusions about one person making a go of it in Manchester instead (you know the locals there also now complain about how terrible it is compared to 20 years ago because of Londoners moving up there?)

I can equally quote you loads of examples of people who've moved out of London and then come back in a hurry, having missed the place too much - me included.

Downtrodden and depressed? Really? London's hectic and stressful. Always has been. Wouldn't be London otherwise.

As for your description of different parts of town, again, I'm stumped. I grew up in Ladbroke Grove and Shepherds Bush. They've changed a lot, not always for the better, and to me the places they were in the 70s and 80s will always be home, but saying they've gone "downhill" is barmy. Bloody hell, do you actually remember Latimer Road in the early 80s? Hardly Frinton-on-sea was it?

If you do live in London, fair enough, but I do find it weird when people feel free to dig out the city others in earshot call home. The way London gets slagged off on here I'd find weird even if Rangers weren't a London club. I don't personally want to live in Buckinghamshire or Essex, but I wouldn't necessarily start holding forth about it.

Good points there Danny.
Problem we have in Orkney are people selling property in expensive areas and then moving here to do bugger all but still pushing property prices higher.
If you looked at the prices here compared to London (or other cities actually) then of course you'd think they're cheap but in reality the people brought up here on normal wages for the area its an absolute pain in the arse that property prices have quadrupled in 20 years while wages have possibly gone up 75%?
Someone who has done much the same as me all their life can sell their house and come here and live without working while I will probably have to work till I'm 70 in a physically demanding job, does p*ss you off and makes me more angry by the year that Thatcher made homes and housing a mega industry, its a disgrace and is ultimately what has spoiled life. Got a job you hate? Tough luck you've got 40%(guess) of your income to pay for your crappy house. Back in the day you could change your job and house as it suited your circumstances, nowadays we're bloody slaves to bricks and mortar
Good Luck UK on 22:59 - Dec 16 with 1899 viewsWEAREAWFUL

I am actually starting to think all the brexit delays may turn out to be a very big stroke of luck for the uk.
If labour and the libs had not messed us all around so much Theresa may would still be pm, or even worse magic grandpa and his cult could be in charge.
Lucky us i say
Good Luck UK on 23:08 - Dec 16 with 1880 viewsDannytheR

Good Luck UK on 22:44 - Dec 16 by essextaxiboy

If what you say is true Corbyn and Momentum have smashed the electoral system for decades . Whoever you vote for that is not good ...

It is what is, as Hasselbaink used to say.

Corbyn was the wrong man at the wrong time and a disaster electorally, but what undid Labour last week has been a very long time coming. Communities that used to be united by the work that went on locally don't have that anymore and have been desperate for years for something to unite around, feel part of and optimistic about - Brexit and Johnson offer "Englishness" and it works.

The result (and all credit to Cummings for seeing the chance and pulling it off) is a "New Tory" party much like New Labour in '97, which pulls together enough of the rightwing to make the maths pretty impossible for anyone else. Unless every non-Tory party does likewise the numbers just won't be there, and that slim chance disappears completely if and when Scotland breaks away.

Personally, I don't think you're giving the brains behind your own operation enough credit.
Good Luck UK on 23:11 - Dec 16 with 1871 viewsJigsore

Good Luck UK on 20:12 - Dec 16 by essextaxiboy

I was actually being honest .Its not anonymous..its me .

In the interviews she has done since Thursday she seems to get it without selling out. I wouldnt think Boris would fancy facing her on a Weds Lunchtime .

If they choose Corbyn in a dress ..game over

this Jess Phillips?

i'm sure she gave it another round on twitter of dEvAsTaTeD fOr My CoNsTiTuEnTs after revelling in Thursday's defeat so it's ok.

Jess Phillips couldn't even be bothered turning to the party conference but can find time to turn up on the front page of the Sunday Times Mag trying to wreck Labour's chance. the reason she's being groomed for Labour leader by much of the press is because they know she's willing to manipulated and not even very smart

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Good Luck UK on 06:47 - Dec 17 with 1722 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Just want to point out that the Labour Membership is 600,000 and Momentum’s is 40,000. That’s less than 10% so hardly the divine power behind the throne.

LabourList is traditionally a publication from the right of the party and it’s readers still want RLB and Angela Rayner. One is from Eccles and the other Salford. I anticipate snobbish jokes about their accents from the same people who said Labour is too London-centric Metropolitan.

https://labourlist.org/2019/12/long-bailey-and-rayner-picked-for-top-jobs-by-lab
Good Luck UK on 07:29 - Dec 17 with 1673 viewsJamesB1979

Good Luck UK on 06:47 - Dec 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

Just want to point out that the Labour Membership is 600,000 and Momentum’s is 40,000. That’s less than 10% so hardly the divine power behind the throne.

LabourList is traditionally a publication from the right of the party and it’s readers still want RLB and Angela Rayner. One is from Eccles and the other Salford. I anticipate snobbish jokes about their accents from the same people who said Labour is too London-centric Metropolitan.

https://labourlist.org/2019/12/long-bailey-and-rayner-picked-for-top-jobs-by-lab

Should members be deciding vote for a leader? They backed Corbyn in huge numbers.......the general public thought differently......and look who the other guy was. Depends whether you want power or just to keep to your principals I suppose. I’d let Alan Johnson decide....when in trouble, get an R to decide,
Good Luck UK on 07:38 - Dec 17 with 1655 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Good Luck UK on 07:29 - Dec 17 by JamesB1979

Should members be deciding vote for a leader? They backed Corbyn in huge numbers.......the general public thought differently......and look who the other guy was. Depends whether you want power or just to keep to your principals I suppose. I’d let Alan Johnson decide....when in trouble, get an R to decide,

People are quick to forget that Alan Johnson was a big part of the Blair and Brown govements, both of which got fewer votes than Corbyn in their last elections as leader.

He was instrumental in getting the Iraq war and PFI contracts through Parliament.

For all of Corbyn’s faults, he wouldn’t have sent 1000 British kids home in body bags.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 7:42]
Good Luck UK on 07:53 - Dec 17 with 1626 viewsJamesB1979

Good Luck UK on 07:38 - Dec 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

People are quick to forget that Alan Johnson was a big part of the Blair and Brown govements, both of which got fewer votes than Corbyn in their last elections as leader.

He was instrumental in getting the Iraq war and PFI contracts through Parliament.

For all of Corbyn’s faults, he wouldn’t have sent 1000 British kids home in body bags.

I only said Johnson because he’s qpr and do I really think 1 person should decide? It was a tongue in cheek comment.
Good Luck UK on 08:07 - Dec 17 with 1599 viewsPhildo

Good Luck UK on 07:38 - Dec 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

To govern is to compromise- all political parties are coalitions of different views lining up behind an agreed front. Those who pull this off successfully get to govern and make some if not all of the changes they want.

The number of non apology apologies that claim they won the argument from the left have left me with a feeling of sick in my mouth. Boris won the argument- hands down- and I did not vote for him.

Labour is doomed if this penny does not drop. There are now loads of labour seats with sub 3000 majorities. 'Safe' labour seats are now confined to a few cities.They will now be up against five years of blatant populism.

This has been happening for a long time but it is beginning to look like a death spiral. This time 100 years ago the big two were the liberal party and the Tories. One adapted and survived the other went into the wilderness.

Or just blame Brexit and carry on as you are and lets see how it turns out.
Good Luck UK on 08:23 - Dec 17 with 1582 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Good Luck UK on 08:07 - Dec 17 by Phildo

To govern is to compromise- all political parties are coalitions of different views lining up behind an agreed front. Those who pull this off successfully get to govern and make some if not all of the changes they want.

The number of non apology apologies that claim they won the argument from the left have left me with a feeling of sick in my mouth. Boris won the argument- hands down- and I did not vote for him.

Labour is doomed if this penny does not drop. There are now loads of labour seats with sub 3000 majorities. 'Safe' labour seats are now confined to a few cities.They will now be up against five years of blatant populism.

This has been happening for a long time but it is beginning to look like a death spiral. This time 100 years ago the big two were the liberal party and the Tories. One adapted and survived the other went into the wilderness.

Or just blame Brexit and carry on as you are and lets see how it turns out.

'Death Spiral'

I appreciate these are 2017 and 2018 figures but they are alsmost identical to 2019.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 8:33]
Good Luck UK on 08:39 - Dec 17 with 1554 viewsPhildo

Good Luck UK on 08:23 - Dec 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

'Death Spiral'

I appreciate these are 2017 and 2018 figures but they are alsmost identical to 2019.

Saying you got more votes than Blair or pointing out demographics may make you feel better but are pretty weak arguments. People's voting habits change as they get older. The way to prove demographics are on your side or to do better than Blair is to win an election.
Good Luck UK on 08:41 - Dec 17 with 2173 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Good Luck UK on 08:39 - Dec 17 by Phildo

Saying you got more votes than Blair or pointing out demographics may make you feel better but are pretty weak arguments. People's voting habits change as they get older. The way to prove demographics are on your side or to do better than Blair is to win an election.

Agreed, but 'death spiral'?

and trust me, it really doesn't make me feel better!
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 8:59]
Good Luck UK on 08:46 - Dec 17 with 2157 views2Thomas2Bowles

Good Luck UK on 08:23 - Dec 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

'Death Spiral'

Don't really know what that is supposed to prove, anything you want it to, I suppose

Membership
It's never really meant anything when it comes to elections.
Conservative membership is very low but they still win elections.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Good Luck UK on 08:52 - Dec 17 with 2136 viewsWatford_Ranger

Good Luck UK on 08:46 - Dec 17 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Don't really know what that is supposed to prove, anything you want it to, I suppose

Membership
It's never really meant anything when it comes to elections.
Conservative membership is very low but they still win elections.

It’s the clearest divide politically apart from England v The Rest now that poorer people are split more between Labour and Conservative than ever. Labour policies have to appeal to older people when we have such an ageing electorate. They don’t give a fck about free broadband and they’re more likely to get their news from more traditional sources, which creates an obvious barrier for Labour to overcome. No idea what the solution is apart from just being there to hoover up the crumbs if the next five years are crap but that’s not very positive.
Good Luck UK on 09:13 - Dec 17 with 2098 views2Thomas2Bowles

Good Luck UK on 08:52 - Dec 17 by Watford_Ranger

It’s the clearest divide politically apart from England v The Rest now that poorer people are split more between Labour and Conservative than ever. Labour policies have to appeal to older people when we have such an ageing electorate. They don’t give a fck about free broadband and they’re more likely to get their news from more traditional sources, which creates an obvious barrier for Labour to overcome. No idea what the solution is apart from just being there to hoover up the crumbs if the next five years are crap but that’s not very positive.

As I said before Baby Boomers and their kids are to blame still outnumbering the new kids on the block, bastards.

Only the yoof have always been more socialist (50's 60's and so on) as said above ( Phildo) that changes with age.

By the time the yoof of today gets to mid/old age, they will change too.

Why is London the stronghold of Labour?
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 9:38]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Good Luck UK on 09:34 - Dec 17 with 2053 viewscolinallcars

So it begins....the Brexit bill to be amended to block any further extension so we may yet leave without a deal and no protection for workers' rights. Bythe way Bazza, one fatality is too many but where did you get the 1000 British kids coming home in body bags ?
Good Luck UK on 09:50 - Dec 17 with 2017 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Good Luck UK on 09:34 - Dec 17 by colinallcars

So it begins....the Brexit bill to be amended to block any further extension so we may yet leave without a deal and no protection for workers' rights. Bythe way Bazza, one fatality is too many but where did you get the 1000 British kids coming home in body bags ?

Off the top of my head really but here it is:

Sierra Leone: 1
Balkans: 72
Afghanistan: 456
Iraq: 179
------------------------
TOTAL: 708
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024