Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The bareface cheek of it all 19:49 - Jan 4 with 3994 viewsNorthLondonR

Liverpool request Carabao Cup match at Arsenal is postponed because of rise in Covid cases - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59872772

Whilst being at risk of looking like an idiot when it's discovered that they only have a cast of 4 players to choose from (highly doubtful) this to me is a complete and further disregard for the legitimacy of this competition. The big four, six, eight or whatever iteration is the current raison d'etre treat this competition with complete disdain in the early rounds, fielding countless youth team members as well as their cast of a thousand out of favour squad players, but suddenly when Wembley is within a whisker, suddenly it all becomes really important. I guarantee they have most of those players they reeled out in the early rounds available and they had plenty of notice of the absence of the afcon players... No doubt, the efl will be forced to relent and accept the request, but the whole farce of it all from a club that were desperate to leave the English game less than 12 months ago to further enrich themselves..... The people's club indeed
The bareface cheek of it all on 20:51 - Jan 4 with 3773 viewsdaveB

I'm not sure what they have done wrong here? Whats the difference between them calling this off and any other game that's been called off in recent weeks.
The bareface cheek of it all on 20:54 - Jan 4 with 3747 viewsHayesender

Didn't Leyton Orient have to forfeit their game against spurs in the earlier rounds due to covid?

Over to you EFL

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The bareface cheek of it all on 20:59 - Jan 4 with 3725 viewsdaveB

The bareface cheek of it all on 20:54 - Jan 4 by Hayesender

Didn't Leyton Orient have to forfeit their game against spurs in the earlier rounds due to covid?

Over to you EFL

That was last season when they had to fit the first few rounds in by the end of September
The bareface cheek of it all on 21:01 - Jan 4 with 3709 viewsHayesender

The bareface cheek of it all on 20:59 - Jan 4 by daveB

That was last season when they had to fit the first few rounds in by the end of September

Ah OK. The last two years seem to have morphed into one

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The bareface cheek of it all on 22:18 - Jan 4 with 3479 viewsNorthLondonR

Conveniently a postponement will most likely allow the keeper and Firmino to gain fitness and be back in contention, where they and other top tier clubs are all too happy to put out their youngsters and Divock Origi against Colchester away in the third round or whoever it may be. Why the sudden change in attitude?

It's convenient when they need to rest the first team because they have a midweek champions of champions of champions League of the universe game away against Rubin Kazan the following week, but suddenly and conveniently they have lost their afcon players and Firmino and the the goalkeeper could be back in a few weeks, they have decided that Nate Phillips and whoever won't cut it.

Leyton Orient don't have the luxury of hoovering up any youngster they choose or paying divock origi £80k a week for about 15 appearances a year....

It's complete hypocrisy of the highest order. None of the top 8 want the carabao cup to exist in its current form until the quarter finals... The new Man Yoo manager confirmed this the other week...
The bareface cheek of it all on 22:29 - Jan 4 with 3445 viewspaulhoop2

I do agree with the point about the attitude towards the league cup being poor. I believe it still has a place in the calendar it makes English football unique almost with a second cup as I believe most of Europe have done away with the equivalent? It was better when it was over 2 legs but obviously congested fixtures put paid to that I would like to see the 1st round revert to 2 legs tho to help lower division clubs with gate money etc. maybe make it a pre season start but of competitive football early doors?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

The bareface cheek of it all on 05:20 - Jan 5 with 3159 viewsMatch82

The bareface cheek of it all on 22:29 - Jan 4 by paulhoop2

I do agree with the point about the attitude towards the league cup being poor. I believe it still has a place in the calendar it makes English football unique almost with a second cup as I believe most of Europe have done away with the equivalent? It was better when it was over 2 legs but obviously congested fixtures put paid to that I would like to see the 1st round revert to 2 legs tho to help lower division clubs with gate money etc. maybe make it a pre season start but of competitive football early doors?

Make it only for clubs not in Europe that year. Winner plays FA cup winner to get a spot in Europe for following season.

No fixture congestion complaints, everyone takes it seriously because they have a legit chance without 4 or 5 of the big dogs, FA gets a "showpiece" game to add to their calendar.
The bareface cheek of it all on 09:39 - Jan 5 with 2933 viewsLythamR

The bareface cheek of it all on 20:51 - Jan 4 by daveB

I'm not sure what they have done wrong here? Whats the difference between them calling this off and any other game that's been called off in recent weeks.

they have been franticly licking each other in order to get the positive numbers up to a decent level- allegedly

press conference now cancelled because assistant coach has returned a "suspected" positive test!
Login to get fewer ads

The bareface cheek of it all on 09:52 - Jan 5 with 2886 viewsEastR

The bareface cheek of it all on 20:51 - Jan 4 by daveB

Liverpool have got 28 players in their first team squad, and on top of that 23 in their u23 squad, some of who have been used for cup/European games.
That 51 for a start off.

I'm sure they could rustle up 11 plus 3 which is the requirement to be able to fulfill the fixture

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

The bareface cheek of it all on 10:07 - Jan 5 with 2841 viewsdaveB

The bareface cheek of it all on 09:52 - Jan 5 by EastR

Liverpool have got 28 players in their first team squad, and on top of that 23 in their u23 squad, some of who have been used for cup/European games.
That 51 for a start off.

I'm sure they could rustle up 11 plus 3 which is the requirement to be able to fulfill the fixture

I don't know the circumstances to be honest of how many positive tests they have, read yesterday they have no goalkeepers which is the problem but not sure if that is true. I'm sure we could have picked an under 18 side for the Swansea and Sheff Utd games but didn't want to. I completely agree that all clubs but especially the big ones don't treat this competition with much respect but I'm not sure that this postponement request has much to do with that. Surely if they just send a team of 18 year olds and lose the game that would showing a disrespect to it as well? Delaying this game by a few weeks doesn't help them in any way really
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 10:07]
The bareface cheek of it all on 10:18 - Jan 5 with 2806 viewsEastR

The bareface cheek of it all on 10:07 - Jan 5 by daveB

I don't know the circumstances to be honest of how many positive tests they have, read yesterday they have no goalkeepers which is the problem but not sure if that is true. I'm sure we could have picked an under 18 side for the Swansea and Sheff Utd games but didn't want to. I completely agree that all clubs but especially the big ones don't treat this competition with much respect but I'm not sure that this postponement request has much to do with that. Surely if they just send a team of 18 year olds and lose the game that would showing a disrespect to it as well? Delaying this game by a few weeks doesn't help them in any way really
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 10:07]

those numbers didn't include their u18's which if you take into account takes their player pool up to 72.

I'm sure they could pick and mix from that lot

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

The bareface cheek of it all on 10:58 - Jan 5 with 2729 viewsfrancisbowles

If it was good enough for other teams to forfeit cup matches, due to not being able to field a team (whichever season), then it is good enough for the big teams as well. The fact that it is a semi final is just bad luck.
The bareface cheek of it all on 11:14 - Jan 5 with 2693 viewsdaveB

The bareface cheek of it all on 10:58 - Jan 5 by francisbowles

If it was good enough for other teams to forfeit cup matches, due to not being able to field a team (whichever season), then it is good enough for the big teams as well. The fact that it is a semi final is just bad luck.

the forfeit was last season when games had to be played by the end of September, no one has had to forfeit games this season
The bareface cheek of it all on 13:37 - Jan 5 with 2498 viewsfrancisbowles

The bareface cheek of it all on 11:14 - Jan 5 by daveB

the forfeit was last season when games had to be played by the end of September, no one has had to forfeit games this season

I don't think it matters. Precedent has been set.

I think Spurs had to forfeit a match in the European Conference.
The bareface cheek of it all on 13:56 - Jan 5 with 2455 viewsizlingtonhoop

The bareface cheek of it all on 10:18 - Jan 5 by EastR

those numbers didn't include their u18's which if you take into account takes their player pool up to 72.

I'm sure they could pick and mix from that lot

Liverpool, over the seasons, have almost joyfully put kids' teams out in early rounds of both cup competitions.

Not tomorrow tho.
The bareface cheek of it all on 14:08 - Jan 5 with 2416 viewsdaveB

The bareface cheek of it all on 13:37 - Jan 5 by francisbowles

I don't think it matters. Precedent has been set.

I think Spurs had to forfeit a match in the European Conference.

games are being called off all the time at the moment in the EFL and Prem with no one having to forfeit them, not sure why this one should be any different. Should we give Swansea and Sheff Utd the points for calling our games off?
The bareface cheek of it all on 14:08 - Jan 5 with 2415 viewsstowmarketrange

They will gain a slight advantage by now having the 2nd leg at home when it should’ve been at Arsenal.
The bareface cheek of it all on 14:51 - Jan 5 with 2329 viewsfrancisbowles

The bareface cheek of it all on 14:08 - Jan 5 by daveB

games are being called off all the time at the moment in the EFL and Prem with no one having to forfeit them, not sure why this one should be any different. Should we give Swansea and Sheff Utd the points for calling our games off?

Cup match is the difference and it's been done before, but 'hey ho' it isn't happening, another favourable decision for a big club.
The bareface cheek of it all on 17:00 - Jan 5 with 2123 viewsthemodfather

how may players do a club like liverpool have out on loan? a few years back chelsea had approx 33 out on loan across europe, could they not call some back? one must be a goalie. then again as i said re qpr having games off, i am ok not to play with a reduced squad .
The bareface cheek of it all on 17:02 - Jan 5 with 2116 viewsdaveB

The bareface cheek of it all on 14:51 - Jan 5 by francisbowles

Cup match is the difference and it's been done before, but 'hey ho' it isn't happening, another favourable decision for a big club.

they are playing Arsenal so it's not as though a small club are being punished here. They'll probably have to call the FA Cup game off this weekend as well
The bareface cheek of it all on 19:10 - Jan 5 with 2008 viewsaston_hoop

Interesting to see if things are ok by the time they play Shrewsbury on Sunday, or if its ok to play the kids by then.

By the way, on a related note, when these managers like Klopp moan about too many games and scrapping the league cup etc, I have already seen the alternative. Here in Spain, the 'supercup' which is basically their charity shield, is a 4 team tournament played in the middle of January......in Saudi Arabia. We all know its going to happen at some point.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024