Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stanley Bowles Stand 17:17 - Mar 7 with 6438 viewsPinnerPaul

Maybe not the desire there people thought?

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/the-stanley-bowles-stand-fundraising-update

I was a little ambivalent on this move by the club at the time, but now think it IS a little petty.

Maybe a compromise can still be reached, remainder of phase one funding IS met by the club but subsequent phases have to be 100% funded by the fans?

No 'right' or 'wrong' answers here I guess?

Just found the article/graphic a little sad and a bit 'non league' if I'm honest
Stanley Bowles Stand on 11:56 - Mar 8 with 2273 viewsted_hendrix

I can detect a a bit of angst towards Stan on this thread which I don't quite understand?

The bloke was on occasions worth the entry money alone just to watch him play, It's all been said before but he's up there, right up there as one of the all time great players for QPR.

He was a member of the bad boys club, so what?

What I wouldn't give for a modern day Stan Bowles right now.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Stanley Bowles Stand on 12:10 - Mar 8 with 2232 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stanley Bowles Stand on 11:56 - Mar 8 by ted_hendrix

I can detect a a bit of angst towards Stan on this thread which I don't quite understand?

The bloke was on occasions worth the entry money alone just to watch him play, It's all been said before but he's up there, right up there as one of the all time great players for QPR.

Don't understand it either. Don't get the need for the personal stuff. It's not as if Stan can defend himself now.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stanley Bowles Stand on 12:48 - Mar 8 with 2147 viewsnix

Stanley Bowles Stand on 11:40 - Mar 8 by daveB

On the financial side you've had the training ground bond recently. asking fans not to take a refund on season tickets and the dottie appeal, i don't think it's a surprise that this one hasn't taken off. The timing as well is not great in the middle of a bad run and the season falling apart, I imagine the response would have been different in January

The training bond was an investment, not a donation, so doesn't really count, and Dottie is to support a poorly child, so is also not relevant to this thread. I supported both of those but don't feel invested in this particular cause. Nothing against the player but it's just not something I especially want.

As I say if it was widely supported it wouldn't be a problem tor anyone who can afford to go to matches as it wouldn't be more than 50p a head. People would have to spend much less than the price of a coffee. If people really want this as much as has been reported then they will make it happen. People have been very vocal about this to the point that I'm a bit tired of it and especially the slagging off of the owners and Lee Hoos, who are putting an awful lot of effort and money into keeping the club afloat. If it's not a majority of fans who want it then why should the owners fund it when they're already spending so much?
Stanley Bowles Stand on 13:16 - Mar 8 with 2069 viewsKonk

Stanley Bowles Stand on 09:18 - Mar 8 by joe90

I know some feel strongly about Stan being commemorated in some way, but there clearly isn't the appetite from the fans or club.

To be honest, I actually find it a bit embarrassing, the only thing that would be worse would be a statue. I think it's really naff when other clubs do that sort of thing unless they've actually achieved something special. I guess that's another point we disagree on - I don't think our second place finish is our greatest achievement.

He's a cult hero, a maverick and iconic player, but such people don't and shouldn't have stands named after them. That's just my opinion, I know many will disagree.

I see things very differently. Most of us support clubs who haven’t won much, haven’t won much for decades, or haven’t won anything (like my lot) - but all of us will have had exceptional players who are synonymous with our club, whether nationally or just to our supporters.

I was too late to watch Haynes, but hearing stories of his extraordinary talent from older fans of Fulham and other clubs was always a sense of immense pride for those of us watching us struggling on and off the pitch during our leanest years. The fact that an England captain and one of the finest players of his generation spent his career at the Cottage proved to ourselves as much as anyone else, that Fulham mattered. If in another fifty years we still haven’t won anything, I would imagine there will still be young Fulham fans sitting in the Johnny Haynes Stand and having their picture taken next to his statue, feeling pride in their club’s association with a supremely talented player, and feeling that connection to the club’s past. Same with Finney, Lofthouse, Matthews, Armfield and others than are intrinsically linked to their clubs. I fuc king love it.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Stanley Bowles Stand on 13:32 - Mar 8 with 2024 viewsMyke

Stanley Bowles Stand on 13:16 - Mar 8 by Konk

I see things very differently. Most of us support clubs who haven’t won much, haven’t won much for decades, or haven’t won anything (like my lot) - but all of us will have had exceptional players who are synonymous with our club, whether nationally or just to our supporters.

I was too late to watch Haynes, but hearing stories of his extraordinary talent from older fans of Fulham and other clubs was always a sense of immense pride for those of us watching us struggling on and off the pitch during our leanest years. The fact that an England captain and one of the finest players of his generation spent his career at the Cottage proved to ourselves as much as anyone else, that Fulham mattered. If in another fifty years we still haven’t won anything, I would imagine there will still be young Fulham fans sitting in the Johnny Haynes Stand and having their picture taken next to his statue, feeling pride in their club’s association with a supremely talented player, and feeling that connection to the club’s past. Same with Finney, Lofthouse, Matthews, Armfield and others than are intrinsically linked to their clubs. I fuc king love it.

That's a super post Konk. I was going to post re Bowles that maybe it was a generational thing, that younger fans simply didn't realise the genius that Stanley was. But you put paid to that theory before it even got articulated, which makes perfect sense; class is permanent and transcends eras and ages.
Difficult to understand the apathy towards this project, even more difficult to fathom the personal attacks either on Bowles (which given his current mental state certainly leaves a sour taste) or the owners/Hoos, without which, we would be another Derby or perhaps even Bury.
If a person doesn't want to donate for whatever reason, that's fine, just don't cast a slur on one of our finest or the people who keep us afloat.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 13:51 - Mar 8 with 1990 viewsjoe90

Stanley Bowles Stand on 13:16 - Mar 8 by Konk

I get what you're saying Konk, but it's not for me.

If fans want to do it, great, they know where to donate.

As I said in my previous post, I personally think it would be more appropriate for the club to officially recognise our actual achievements such as the 66/67 double.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:15 - Mar 8 with 1847 viewsWatfordR

Stanley Bowles Stand on 00:32 - Mar 8 by nix

It seems to me that there are a minority of people that feel very strongly about it and a lot of people who aren't bothered enough to contribute.

I think the argument about it being a tough time for everyone financially is a poor one tbh. If it was really that popular it would be a bit more than 50p each for an average match day crowd.

As I said in the previous thread, I personally think the club should be looking forward not backwards and appealing to younger fans. I can see why Lee Hoos and the board don't want to pay out for this when there are tons of other priorities that appeal to a wider fan base than this initiative. I don't think it's fair to use this as an argument that he doesn't care about the fans. I think he puts to shame some of the previous executives who've led this club and clearly had contempt for the fans. It's hard to please all of the fans all of the time, but I wouldn't use this as evidence of anything other than the fact is not as popular as some people maintain.

The financial bit. It doesn't appear as though it's easy to put 50p into a bucket for this. It's make a donation to the appropriate bank account.

I also think the point to bear in mind is that those who might be most inclined to donate are of a certain age (i.e. those who saw him play), and they'll also be of the age where having to find significant additional money for things like sky rocketing gas, electric and fuel bills will be more of a struggle than those who are younger with perhaps more disposable income.

(On a side note, I was told recently at the Club Shop that I had £40+ knocking about on my membership account, did I want to spend it? If I was able to, perhaps that could be donated to the fund, but I suspect that won't be possible.)

I absolutely agree that looking forward is important, but we as a club, and as fans, can also learn much about acknowledging our past, and I certainly wouldn't agree that we shouldn't look back.

I've no idea how many posters contributing to this thread ever saw the guy play in the flesh, but I can only tell you from my point of view that it was really the great privilege of my time supporting QPR. I've had many great days in nearly 50 years of being a fan, but if I wanted one thing to show my friends and family what was special about this club, Stan was it.

In an age where virtually every minute any player plays for any club is digitally stored and available, the really great shame is that there is so little footage of that great team of the 70s, and the man himself, to look back at. I've got the memories of him and what he did, I know the part he played in this club's legacy, and I find it all a little sad that there doesn't appear to be anyone at the club particularly bothered to do anything to acknowledge it except in a very begrudging way.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 16:18]
Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:30 - Mar 8 with 1827 viewsRangersw12

Stanley Bowles Stand on 11:56 - Mar 8 by ted_hendrix

No need to go overboard it's only one person who's mentioned he doesn't like Stan personally

I'm 38 so never got the chance to see him but I've seen highlights and stories from my late Dad and he was clealry up their as our greatest player

As I've said previously the people behind The name the Stand and his testimonial have acted like proper twts during this whole process which is one of reasons why I won't be donating and I'm sure others feel the same
Login to get fewer ads

Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:39 - Mar 8 with 1811 viewsnix

Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:15 - Mar 8 by WatfordR

The financial bit. It doesn't appear as though it's easy to put 50p into a bucket for this. It's make a donation to the appropriate bank account.

I also think the point to bear in mind is that those who might be most inclined to donate are of a certain age (i.e. those who saw him play), and they'll also be of the age where having to find significant additional money for things like sky rocketing gas, electric and fuel bills will be more of a struggle than those who are younger with perhaps more disposable income.

(On a side note, I was told recently at the Club Shop that I had £40+ knocking about on my membership account, did I want to spend it? If I was able to, perhaps that could be donated to the fund, but I suspect that won't be possible.)

I absolutely agree that looking forward is important, but we as a club, and as fans, can also learn much about acknowledging our past, and I certainly wouldn't agree that we shouldn't look back.

I've no idea how many posters contributing to this thread ever saw the guy play in the flesh, but I can only tell you from my point of view that it was really the great privilege of my time supporting QPR. I've had many great days in nearly 50 years of being a fan, but if I wanted one thing to show my friends and family what was special about this club, Stan was it.

In an age where virtually every minute any player plays for any club is digitally stored and available, the really great shame is that there is so little footage of that great team of the 70s, and the man himself, to look back at. I've got the memories of him and what he did, I know the part he played in this club's legacy, and I find it all a little sad that there doesn't appear to be anyone at the club particularly bothered to do anything to acknowledge it except in a very begrudging way.

As I have said, I don't think the amounts involved are prohibitive. I think you're over-egging the not being able to afford a £5 if it's something you feel strongly about.

I didn't say we shouldn't ever look back. Just that we have to balance looking back and looking forward. Some of the leaders of this campaign have been so strident about it that it's put people off.

I'm glad you have had such pleasure from seeing Stan Bowles play.

I think it's unfair to keep going on about the people running the club, I really do. But I don't think we're ever going to agree with each other on this, so I'll leave it there.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:44 - Mar 8 with 1801 viewsHarbour

Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:15 - Mar 8 by WatfordR

Good post agree with a lot of that I saw Stan when I was aged 13 remember him being a favourite player but I did not really appreciate his ability until many years later rewatching videos of him playing. Am in 2 minds on donating will probably make a donation. In some ways Gregory or Alec Stock would also be worthy of stands being named after them give their overriding contribution to the club.Be interesting to see if this happens. Get the impression now the club will not step in if funds do not come from the fans.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:50 - Mar 8 with 1792 viewsWatfordR

Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:39 - Mar 8 by nix

As I have said, I don't think the amounts involved are prohibitive. I think you're over-egging the not being able to afford a £5 if it's something you feel strongly about.

I didn't say we shouldn't ever look back. Just that we have to balance looking back and looking forward. Some of the leaders of this campaign have been so strident about it that it's put people off.

I'm glad you have had such pleasure from seeing Stan Bowles play.

I think it's unfair to keep going on about the people running the club, I really do. But I don't think we're ever going to agree with each other on this, so I'll leave it there.

I'll say one final thing. I don't often knock the board or the owners, I think in general they are doing an excellent job. In this particular instance, I think they have not handled this issue well.

Regards the campaign, I'm not part of it and have no idea how strident they have been or who they have been strident with. If people are needing to have a pop at a player they never saw as a result, in my opinion they aren't exactly covering themselves in glory either.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:14 - Mar 8 with 1762 viewsted_hendrix

Stanley Bowles Stand on 16:30 - Mar 8 by Rangersw12

No need to go overboard it's only one person who's mentioned he doesn't like Stan personally

I'm 38 so never got the chance to see him but I've seen highlights and stories from my late Dad and he was clealry up their as our greatest player

As I've said previously the people behind The name the Stand and his testimonial have acted like proper twts during this whole process which is one of reasons why I won't be donating and I'm sure others feel the same

*No need to go overboard it's only one person who's mentioned he doesn't like Stan personally*

Your'e right, that's why I didn't go overboard.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Stanley Bowles Stand on 18:22 - Mar 8 with 1688 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Just a thought, but where are we up to with the new ground?

If there is ever one, then I’d be minded to suggest something generic like: ‘The Number 10 Stand’ or ‘Mavericks’ ‘Legends’ Stand.

Stan’s not played for us for 40 years, and while he was a talisman, fact is anyone in early-, mid-50s probably didn’t truly appreciate him at the time and so it’s understandable that the reception is a bit lukewarm.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Stanley Bowles Stand on 20:29 - Mar 8 with 1581 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Stanley Bowles Stand on 18:22 - Mar 8 by PlanetHonneywood

If there is ever one, then I’d be minded to suggest something generic like: ‘The Number 10 Stand’ or ‘Mavericks’ ‘Legends’ Stand.

Stan’s not played for us for 40 years, and while he was a talisman, fact is anyone in early-, mid-50s probably didn’t truly appreciate him at the time and so it’s understandable that the reception is a bit lukewarm.

'Mavericks' I like that. Sounds like a sleazy nightclub.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Stanley Bowles Stand on 20:41 - Mar 8 with 1550 viewsMyke

Stanley Bowles Stand on 18:22 - Mar 8 by PlanetHonneywood

If you read Konk's post re Johnny Haynes, you would see that should not be the case
[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 20:44]
Stanley Bowles Stand on 22:55 - Mar 8 with 1414 viewsDamo1962

Stan is and will always be my hero when it comes to QPR and football. The ground is currently named after someone ( correct me if I'm wrong) who never played a game for the first team. Surely one of our greats could have one stand in his name.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 23:02 - Mar 8 with 1397 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Stanley Bowles Stand on 22:55 - Mar 8 by Damo1962

Stan is and will always be my hero when it comes to QPR and football. The ground is currently named after someone ( correct me if I'm wrong) who never played a game for the first team. Surely one of our greats could have one stand in his name.

"Surely one of our greats could have one stand in his name"

Yes that's been agreed. We just need to raise the money.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Stanley Bowles Stand on 23:48 - Mar 8 with 1348 viewsDamo1962

Stanley Bowles Stand on 23:02 - Mar 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

"Surely one of our greats could have one stand in his name"

Yes that's been agreed. We just need to raise the money.

I'm in 👍
Stanley Bowles Stand on 09:01 - Mar 9 with 1248 viewsHugey

As a long time lurker and newish, and to be honest slightly nervous poster, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

I'm mid thirties so never saw Stan play. I grew up watching footage of him and others in his era for hours on end on an old John Motson MoTD QPR video!

I like the idea of naming a stand after him. It'd be a nice thing to do.

But I haven't donated. Reading this thread, I'm asking myself why not. A few reasons I think:

- Having watched some of the falling out over the campaign from afar, I don't feel like vindicating the way the campaign has been run. Donating feels like implicitly supporting the campaign over the club, and Lee Hoos in particular, who I think does a great job for our club. I think that's holding me back.

- Ideally, if everyone was behind it, for 20kish I think the club would pay for something like this. But I can see why they haven't, since they're not convinced this is something the majority want.

-Money's tight and there are other, and in my view more urgent causes to donate to.

Overall, I've got no issue with the idea. I just haven't felt strongly enough about it to donate.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 9:03]
Stanley Bowles Stand on 09:07 - Mar 9 with 1238 viewsslmrstid

Stanley Bowles Stand on 09:01 - Mar 9 by Hugey

As a long time lurker and newish, and to be honest slightly nervous poster, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

I'm mid thirties so never saw Stan play. I grew up watching footage of him and others in his era for hours on end on an old John Motson MoTD QPR video!

I like the idea of naming a stand after him. It'd be a nice thing to do.

But I haven't donated. Reading this thread, I'm asking myself why not. A few reasons I think:

- Having watched some of the falling out over the campaign from afar, I don't feel like vindicating the way the campaign has been run. Donating feels like implicitly supporting the campaign over the club, and Lee Hoos in particular, who I think does a great job for our club. I think that's holding me back.

- Ideally, if everyone was behind it, for 20kish I think the club would pay for something like this. But I can see why they haven't, since they're not convinced this is something the majority want.

-Money's tight and there are other, and in my view more urgent causes to donate to.

Overall, I've got no issue with the idea. I just haven't felt strongly enough about it to donate.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 9:03]

Good post Hugey, and pretty much where I am from someone a similar age bracket to you (although possibly slightly younger at 32).
Stanley Bowles Stand (n/t) on 17:10 - Mar 9 with 1073 viewsHugey

Thanks mate, and you are indeed a few years younger!!
[Post edited 9 Mar 2022 17:11]
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:20 - Mar 9 with 1052 viewsdaveB

Stanley Bowles Stand on 12:48 - Mar 8 by nix

The training bond was an investment, not a donation, so doesn't really count, and Dottie is to support a poorly child, so is also not relevant to this thread. I supported both of those but don't feel invested in this particular cause. Nothing against the player but it's just not something I especially want.

As I say if it was widely supported it wouldn't be a problem tor anyone who can afford to go to matches as it wouldn't be more than 50p a head. People would have to spend much less than the price of a coffee. If people really want this as much as has been reported then they will make it happen. People have been very vocal about this to the point that I'm a bit tired of it and especially the slagging off of the owners and Lee Hoos, who are putting an awful lot of effort and money into keeping the club afloat. If it's not a majority of fans who want it then why should the owners fund it when they're already spending so much?

I get the other things are different but it's another thing to ask fans to give money towards so I'm not surprised it hasn't taken off and raised as much as the other things.
Stanley Bowles Stand on 17:23 - Mar 9 with 1044 viewsterryb

As a follower of Rangers since 1967 & a supporter since 1969, I saw Stan in his prime but I couldn't care either way if a stand is named after him! I honestly don't know why he should be honoured rather than others ( I could name quite a few that I think equally qualify).

What I don't understand though, is why the club don't pay for the lettering on the stand as they were the one's who announced the change. I can only assume that it was agreed with the campaigners that it would be self funded, but is the amount required worth falling out with supporters over?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024