Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dooley goes. 18:03 - Jun 14 with 7840 viewsboromat

Surprised me that one! Can only come down to the offer maybe we only offered one year.

[Post edited 14 Jun 2022 18:04]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Dooley goes. on 12:30 - Jun 15 with 2673 viewsalderleydale

Dooley goes. on 12:19 - Jun 15 by AtThePeake

Well... he did offer him a contract!

Bang average footballer. I think he's just had his best season for us, unsurprisingly in a lower division and he put in a few 7/10 performances in which he didn't give the ball away very often, which is valuable - but is it enough? Particularly in a two-man midfield?

He never used his obvious dribbling ability to beat players enough, offered no real goal or assist threat (interestingly, I checked the highlights on the five assists that Soccerbase had credited him for last season and found that one of them was actually by Clark, one was by Newby and another one was by Ball!), he rarely played progressive passes through the lines and was never a ball-winner or even the kind of player that was able to hold a sitting position to protect the defence. An instantly forgettable player.

Nailed him.
Dooley goes. on 12:52 - Jun 15 with 2580 viewsAtThePeake

Dooley goes. on 12:29 - Jun 15 by D_Alien

Precisely!

If he'd been keen to retain his services, i'm pretty sure RS would've had the wherewithal to package the offer accordingly but Dooley would've seen the writing on the dressing room wall, as it were. The introduction and impact of Brierley would've been significant but RS would've needed cover for a youngster who perhaps wouldn't be playing every game

But if he didn't want to keep him at all, surely he wouldn't have bothered to offer a contract at all? I agree that he probably saw him as a squad option next season, hence the move, but RS has to look elsewhere for a squad option now when he'd clearly rather have kept Dooley.

Tangled up in blue.

Dooley goes. on 12:57 - Jun 15 with 2539 viewsD_Alien

Dooley goes. on 12:52 - Jun 15 by AtThePeake

But if he didn't want to keep him at all, surely he wouldn't have bothered to offer a contract at all? I agree that he probably saw him as a squad option next season, hence the move, but RS has to look elsewhere for a squad option now when he'd clearly rather have kept Dooley.

Couldn't agree more

Not said RS didn't want to keep him at all, simply queried James' "seal the deal" phrase

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dooley goes. on 13:01 - Jun 15 with 2518 viewsYadHoDale

Steve Dooley was a reasonable player for us, could fill a couple of roles competently but not outstandingly, and hope he has 44 good games for Harrogate next season.

His going leaves a gap to fill in midfield. Whilst George Broadbent had some decent games he did look lost in others. Wouldn't mind Ronan DArcy on loan from Bolton - was their best player apart from Politic when they had to play their kids three years ago. Hasn't had much of a look in there since they regentrified, and been on loan in Norway and Scotland.
Dooley goes. on 13:50 - Jun 15 with 2415 viewsSalegraham

Dooley goes. on 19:22 - Jun 14 by Laveritty

...was just about to post the same...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61804992

Nice to see the BBC as accurate as ever when reporting on Rochdale!

Still on the beebs website this morning. No wonder folk don't pay the license fee !!
Dooley goes. on 17:55 - Jun 15 with 2209 viewsoddjob007

For a player who was brought in as an “exciting attacking player” his progression to “average central midfielder” has been quite something.

Name 5 things Dooley did for us (not an unreasonable question for someone who played over 100 times!) A late equaliser against Gillingham? All I can think of.

A forgettable player who seemed to be afraid of having a shot and would always play the sideways ball. Seemed to try his best, but lacked quality. Bottom half league 2 player, at best.

Wish him well, but we’ve got to get better players than Stephen Dooley if we want to progress.
Dooley goes. on 18:53 - Jun 15 with 2115 views49thseason

Dooley goes. on 17:55 - Jun 15 by oddjob007

For a player who was brought in as an “exciting attacking player” his progression to “average central midfielder” has been quite something.

Name 5 things Dooley did for us (not an unreasonable question for someone who played over 100 times!) A late equaliser against Gillingham? All I can think of.

A forgettable player who seemed to be afraid of having a shot and would always play the sideways ball. Seemed to try his best, but lacked quality. Bottom half league 2 player, at best.

Wish him well, but we’ve got to get better players than Stephen Dooley if we want to progress.

I was surprised when he was on the "offered contract" list. His time at Dale will be soon forgotten by everyone. I hear things about him "knitting the play together" but I called him Backpass Dooley, he recieved the ball whilst looking at his own keeper and often simply played it back to the player who passed it to him in the first place. I just cannot conceive a professional footballer who doesnt seem to want to get the ball closer to the oppositions goal. I'm sure he is a decent bloke and I dont blame him for his inadequacies but others must have seen something I haven't in all the games I saw him play. The ultimate tippy-tappy exponent needed some fire in his belly.
Dooley goes. on 20:23 - Jun 15 with 1971 viewsTVOS1907

Scored the winner at Accrington and, erm.....

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Dooley goes. on 22:27 - Jun 15 with 1848 viewsscarrow

Dooley goes. on 20:23 - Jun 15 by TVOS1907

Scored the winner at Accrington and, erm.....

played a part in 2 goals v Harrogate according to their manager.

Poll: Final position

Dooley goes. on 22:41 - Jun 15 with 1831 viewsTVOS1907

Dooley goes. on 22:27 - Jun 15 by scarrow

played a part in 2 goals v Harrogate according to their manager.

He did - just checked.

Assist for the first at Harrogate

Assist for the second at Spotland

Dooley goes. on 08:44 - Jun 16 with 1597 viewstony_roch975

Dooley goes. on 22:41 - Jun 15 by TVOS1907

He did - just checked.

Assist for the first at Harrogate

Assist for the second at Spotland

surely not TVOS - must be a different Stephen Dooley; ours had no assists (says so on this Board)

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Dooley goes. on 09:31 - Jun 16 with 1509 viewsAtThePeake

Dooley goes. on 08:44 - Jun 16 by tony_roch975

surely not TVOS - must be a different Stephen Dooley; ours had no assists (says so on this Board)

Three assists and zero goals in 38 appearances is not a good return for a central midfielder though is it?

Tangled up in blue.

Dooley goes. on 10:38 - Jun 16 with 1416 viewsfinberty

Name 5 things Dooley did for us:
1. A late equaliser against Gillingham?

Erm -
2. Scored against Bradford City a few seasons back.
3. Scored a second goal in the same game. It shut Bradford fans up quite nicely.
Dooley goes. on 11:09 - Jun 16 with 1380 viewsRotherhamDale

Delighted he's gone

Possession with progression.

Dooley goes. on 12:07 - Jun 16 with 1305 viewsTVOS1907

Dooley goes. on 10:38 - Jun 16 by finberty

Name 5 things Dooley did for us:
1. A late equaliser against Gillingham?

Erm -
2. Scored against Bradford City a few seasons back.
3. Scored a second goal in the same game. It shut Bradford fans up quite nicely.

Dooley never scored twice in a game for us, nor did he score against Bradford!

Dooley goes. on 12:13 - Jun 16 with 1286 viewsTVOS1907

Dooley goes. on 08:44 - Jun 16 by tony_roch975

They're very minimal though, aren't they?

Dooley goes. on 14:06 - Jun 16 with 1100 viewsfinberty

Dooley goes. on 12:07 - Jun 16 by TVOS1907

Dooley never scored twice in a game for us, nor did he score against Bradford!

Ah well TVOS there you go again... with your facts and everything.

Technically you are correct. October 2018.

I remember having to deal with a Bantam fan ahead of the game, and afterwards I just came back with 'Dooley' which incensed him no end. Dooley ran the game by all accounts and had the breakaway one on one with the goalkeeper, which directly led to Henderson getting his second from the spot. No doubt the Bantam fan thought he'd dived, hence his overreaction. It wasn't often you could use the name Dooley to taunt someone.

So, in my head, having run the game and won the penalty, these have become two goals. So those two points I made in my earlier post need correcting.

The goalkeeper who brought Dooley down was Richard O'Donnell.

Unless I'm mistaken again. Which happens.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024