Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Krakow 13:35 - Jun 24 with 512 viewsSaintNick

Im thinking of going anyone been there and got any tips

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Krakow on 14:40 - Jun 24 with 453 viewsNumber_58

Lovely city, great nightlife and fairly cheap for food and drink. We stayed at a budget hotel quite close to the station and it was a great base for wandering into the city centre or getting the train or bus to places outside the city. We visited the salt mines and did all the Schindlers List stuff such as visiting Schindlers Factory which is now an excellent museum, the Jewish ghetto, and of course Auschwitz which is a couple of hours bus ride away. Loads of companies offer tours of the salt mines and Auschwitz but it's much cheaper and more convenient to book tickets and travel yourself. I gather it's well worth going to watch one of the two local football teams, Cracovia or Wisla, but unfortunately neither were playing at home while we were there. There's a waxwork museum in the centre of Krakow that's so bad it's actually quite good apparently.
Krakow on 14:45 - Jun 24 with 445 viewsBuggalugs

Yes and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very compact city so easy to walk around....lots of bars and plenty of really nice and reasonably priced restaurants. I went in December so everything was decked out for Christmas. Obviously you need to do Auschwitz which is just the most surreal and thought provoking place. I also took in a Cracovia game which was a good experience.
[Post edited 24 Jun 14:47]

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Krakow on 15:18 - Jun 24 with 399 viewsSaintNick

Krakow on 14:40 - Jun 24 by Number_58

Lovely city, great nightlife and fairly cheap for food and drink. We stayed at a budget hotel quite close to the station and it was a great base for wandering into the city centre or getting the train or bus to places outside the city. We visited the salt mines and did all the Schindlers List stuff such as visiting Schindlers Factory which is now an excellent museum, the Jewish ghetto, and of course Auschwitz which is a couple of hours bus ride away. Loads of companies offer tours of the salt mines and Auschwitz but it's much cheaper and more convenient to book tickets and travel yourself. I gather it's well worth going to watch one of the two local football teams, Cracovia or Wisla, but unfortunately neither were playing at home while we were there. There's a waxwork museum in the centre of Krakow that's so bad it's actually quite good apparently.

Did you just get on one of the shuttle buses from the bus station

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Krakow on 16:05 - Jun 24 with 360 viewsNumber_58

Krakow on 15:18 - Jun 24 by SaintNick

Did you just get on one of the shuttle buses from the bus station

To Auschwitz yes. The bus wasn't full but it's probably best to book up first. Booking online should have been quite easy, but being an IT dinosaur I somehow managed to book the outward and return journeys the wrong way round, but they gave me an immediate refund and I re-booked straight away. The tours of the camps are quite long, and because it's so busy they do hurry you along, especially at the Auschwitz 1 site. At the end of the Auschwitz 2 tour you're allowed to wander around the site unaccompanied. As someone else said, it's an incredibly thought-provoking place. The memory of seeing the cabinets full of the victims' suitcases, shoes, spectacles and human hair will stay with me for a very long time. Walking through one of the gas chambers and adjoining furnace is certainly a very eerie experience.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024