Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? 18:03 - Sep 25 with 2272 viewsKeithHaynes

I will leave mine as William Sitwell and I agree.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 18:40 - Sep 25 with 1365 viewsWingstandwood

The 'Grape And Olive' many years back where I got home and put a pie in the microwave, because the servings were so small, the main serving was tepid and prices extortionate.

The best place(s) for me was the old Berni Inn's where you could order from a menu that offered stuff that you knew you were guarenteed to enjoy i.e. steak and chips, fillet of plaice and chips, deep fried scampi and chips. Ditto starters and desserts.

None of playing a hit or miss gambling game hoping for the best by choosing from a fancy-wancy pretentious menu with mysterious sauces and stuff.

"Baked snow crab, cilantro and avocado lightly kissed and seasoned with chef’s signature sauce". No thanks! Fish and chips, yes please!!!!

Argus!

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 19:03 - Sep 25 with 1332 viewsKeithHaynes

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 18:40 - Sep 25 by Wingstandwood

The 'Grape And Olive' many years back where I got home and put a pie in the microwave, because the servings were so small, the main serving was tepid and prices extortionate.

The best place(s) for me was the old Berni Inn's where you could order from a menu that offered stuff that you knew you were guarenteed to enjoy i.e. steak and chips, fillet of plaice and chips, deep fried scampi and chips. Ditto starters and desserts.

None of playing a hit or miss gambling game hoping for the best by choosing from a fancy-wancy pretentious menu with mysterious sauces and stuff.

"Baked snow crab, cilantro and avocado lightly kissed and seasoned with chef’s signature sauce". No thanks! Fish and chips, yes please!!!!

Sometimes the simple things are the best remembered.

Mike and Bernie winters inns. A classic of the time 😂

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 19:11 - Sep 25 with 1328 viewsSullutaCreturned

There are 2 best, Charlie's in Florida and also a local fish restaurant, great service, great food and being the USa, massiv portions too.

In Charlies I had chocolate fudge cake and it was so big it took 3 of us to finish it, a porterhouse steak perfectly cooked and also massive with the steak taking a whole plate and the rest coming on another plate, there was also free refills on coffee.

Worst was the local Harvester in Llandarcy. Told the waitress, on being told our son had a nut allergy told us it was our problem! I don't suppose she still works there 4 years later.
[Post edited 25 Sep 19:13]
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 19:30 - Sep 25 with 1293 viewsKeithHaynes

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 19:11 - Sep 25 by SullutaCreturned

There are 2 best, Charlie's in Florida and also a local fish restaurant, great service, great food and being the USa, massiv portions too.

In Charlies I had chocolate fudge cake and it was so big it took 3 of us to finish it, a porterhouse steak perfectly cooked and also massive with the steak taking a whole plate and the rest coming on another plate, there was also free refills on coffee.

Worst was the local Harvester in Llandarcy. Told the waitress, on being told our son had a nut allergy told us it was our problem! I don't suppose she still works there 4 years later.

I assume you left.

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 19:47 - Sep 25 with 1278 viewsFlashberryjack

"Stone crab" Saundersfoot, absolutely fantastic if you can get a table.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 19:58 - Sep 25 with 1251 viewsKeithHaynes

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 19:47 - Sep 25 by Flashberryjack

"Stone crab" Saundersfoot, absolutely fantastic if you can get a table.

That I agree with 👍

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 20:32 - Sep 25 with 1215 viewsAnotherJohn

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 19:11 - Sep 25 by SullutaCreturned

You need to be very careful when you park at the Harvester, Llandarcy. The wife took me there with her friend and husband, who had suggested that location. My wife just parked up as one might in the average pub car park, which was pretty empty on a week day lunch time. We went up and ordered at the bar as per usual. In all we had a meal and two or three rounds of drinks. Then a week or two later a letter arrives from a parking company demanding payment of a fine - think it was £60. Luckily I still had a receipt for one drink, though the others had just paid cash and not bothered with receipts for most of our orders. I managed to get the fine waived through the online system and emails to the manager. It was a lot of trouble though, and no apology. Apparently we failed to see a small sign, and so our failure to inform the bar of our reg number was down to us.
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 20:59 - Sep 25 with 1173 viewsDaPs166

Oh look, a troll.
Login to get fewer ads

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 21:22 - Sep 25 with 1138 viewsGwyn737

I went through a phase of saving to go to a posh restaurant as a treat and really enjoyed it.

However if I could only choose one food to live on for the rest of my life it would be a toasted bacon sandwich!
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 21:39 - Sep 25 with 1121 viewsunion_jack

My best and worst restaurant is actually the same one.

It was the best restaurant because the food is first class. Wonderful starter selection and steaks with delicious rich sauces of your choice. Ambience reasonably good as well.

However, one evening a party of 8 of us went there. They came along with a bread basket with some small but delicious rolls. I asked for another one after ordering our meals which the waiter reluctantly gave me. I then made the mistake of asking for a third (this had been some time, not one after the other) and he told me that they only give two rolls per person. I asked him if he was serious, his facial expression gave me the answer.

We ordered from the starters and my wife had something which had prawns with it. She doesn’t like them so when the meal came I said to the waitress if I could have them. She said no! Then turned to my wife and said “do you want them or not?”.

We ordered lots of wine and all had 3 courses so the bill was a large one. I left absolutely no tip.

We were the last to leave the restaurant and the owner came out smiling asking us if everything was ok and I told her what had gone wrong. She was apologetic saying that that’s not their policy.

I wrote to her shortly afterwards explaining more fully what had happened and hoped she’d use that as constructive feedback as it was intended. I heard nothing from her.

So going from a fairly regular visitor, always in a largish party, I haven’t been there for 15 years or so. And I do miss the food.

The restaurant? Bouchon De Rossi, Oxford St.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 22:02 - Sep 25 with 1090 viewsKeithHaynes

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 20:59 - Sep 25 by DaPs166

Oh look, a troll.

Here he is 😂

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 22:38 - Sep 25 with 1008 viewsKeithHaynes

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 20:32 - Sep 25 by AnotherJohn

You need to be very careful when you park at the Harvester, Llandarcy. The wife took me there with her friend and husband, who had suggested that location. My wife just parked up as one might in the average pub car park, which was pretty empty on a week day lunch time. We went up and ordered at the bar as per usual. In all we had a meal and two or three rounds of drinks. Then a week or two later a letter arrives from a parking company demanding payment of a fine - think it was £60. Luckily I still had a receipt for one drink, though the others had just paid cash and not bothered with receipts for most of our orders. I managed to get the fine waived through the online system and emails to the manager. It was a lot of trouble though, and no apology. Apparently we failed to see a small sign, and so our failure to inform the bar of our reg number was down to us.

Catering does seem to create some monster moments.

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 22:43 - Sep 25 with 991 viewsmajorraglan

I’m by no means someone who eats out regularly, but off the top of my head one of the nicest meals I’ve had was at the Santa Fe Steak House in Davenport Orlando, great food and great service.

The worst, well I’ve had a few shunky curry’s over the years but there’s 2 that stand out. The first was a family get together at Tay Barns, the second is going right back in to the mists of time when wifey and I went to the Whitehart in Llanddarog, poor meal and rude staff.
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 22:57 - Sep 25 with 979 viewsKeithHaynes

I’ve got a few favourites, Le Champignon Sauvage in Cheltenham, I only went twice due to the remortgage 😂 I've still one to get to, but I’m making an effort next time I’m over. The worst has to be The Ivy in London. Rio Ferdinand was there as well as that short fella who used to work with Ricky Gervais. Dreadful, cold food, and that bloke who used to be on the tv as the restaurant manager or whatever they are called was so far up his arse he could see Notting Hill from central London.

And I have to add another in Barcelona, but I can’t remember its name it was that bad.

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:06 - Sep 26 with 858 viewsYrAlarch

One of the best: 'Awful Arthur's', Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina for fish. The restaurant title seems to be ironic, which is surprising for the USA.

I also remember the Berni Inns. If I remember correctly there were 3 in Swansea. Yes, good wholesome food and at a reasonable cost.
The one in Neath was not so good though on the one and only occasion we went there.
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:11 - Sep 26 with 850 viewsonehunglow

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:06 - Sep 26 by YrAlarch

One of the best: 'Awful Arthur's', Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina for fish. The restaurant title seems to be ironic, which is surprising for the USA.

I also remember the Berni Inns. If I remember correctly there were 3 in Swansea. Yes, good wholesome food and at a reasonable cost.
The one in Neath was not so good though on the one and only occasion we went there.

Three Lamps.?
I took a girl out from Neath once.
To a Berni
I knew how to treat a girl

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:22 - Sep 26 with 819 viewsWhiterockin

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:06 - Sep 26 by YrAlarch

In my opinion Berni Inns were only thought of as "good" as there was so little else to compare. The British restaurant business at the time was an embarrassment and is no comparison to the current day. Yes they were popular because the British public aspired to no better. Slowly over the years after many people ventured abroad on holiday the public realised that there were other options. The same with wine, the popular wine at the time was Blue Nun and Matues Rose, my how the times have changed.
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:28 - Sep 26 with 789 viewsunion_jack

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:22 - Sep 26 by Whiterockin

In my opinion Berni Inns were only thought of as "good" as there was so little else to compare. The British restaurant business at the time was an embarrassment and is no comparison to the current day. Yes they were popular because the British public aspired to no better. Slowly over the years after many people ventured abroad on holiday the public realised that there were other options. The same with wine, the popular wine at the time was Blue Nun and Matues Rose, my how the times have changed.

You are quite right but one thing bucks that trend and that’s British Rail catering. I was lucky enough to eat in the restaurant car on a couple of occasions and the food was very high quality. Also proper silverware and white table cloth. All gone now I suppose unless there are ‘specials’ that do it.

That said, if you just wanted a sandwich then be prepared to be disappointed with the quality. Soggy cheese and tomato with hard bread

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:35 - Sep 26 with 776 viewsWhiterockin

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:28 - Sep 26 by union_jack

You are quite right but one thing bucks that trend and that’s British Rail catering. I was lucky enough to eat in the restaurant car on a couple of occasions and the food was very high quality. Also proper silverware and white table cloth. All gone now I suppose unless there are ‘specials’ that do it.

That said, if you just wanted a sandwich then be prepared to be disappointed with the quality. Soggy cheese and tomato with hard bread

True dining on a train was excellent at the time. Yes there are specials available like this below very expensive, but nice as a treat and the food and service really is excellent.

https://www.luxurytraintickets.com/northern-belle/great-british-sunday-lunch-to-

https://www.luxurytraintickets.com/british-pullman
[Post edited 26 Sep 9:38]
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:59 - Sep 26 with 730 viewsonehunglow

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:35 - Sep 26 by Whiterockin

True dining on a train was excellent at the time. Yes there are specials available like this below very expensive, but nice as a treat and the food and service really is excellent.

https://www.luxurytraintickets.com/northern-belle/great-british-sunday-lunch-to-

https://www.luxurytraintickets.com/british-pullman
[Post edited 26 Sep 9:38]

I have never been more than 2 /12 hrs on a train .
They were better with the old carriages
Now,one can be sitting opposite sone plebs in cheap trainers and a neck of tattoos

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 10:04 - Sep 26 with 726 viewsWhiterockin

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 09:59 - Sep 26 by onehunglow

I have never been more than 2 /12 hrs on a train .
They were better with the old carriages
Now,one can be sitting opposite sone plebs in cheap trainers and a neck of tattoos

I think you will find that ladies travelling alone would not prefer to be in the old style carriage with a couple of strangers.

But that is taking the thread off topic apologies.
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 10:06 - Sep 26 with 724 viewsonehunglow

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 10:04 - Sep 26 by Whiterockin

I think you will find that ladies travelling alone would not prefer to be in the old style carriage with a couple of strangers.

But that is taking the thread off topic apologies.

No,it’s a fair point
It s a sign of the times

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 11:06 - Sep 26 with 653 viewsAnotherJohn

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 21:39 - Sep 25 by union_jack

My best and worst restaurant is actually the same one.

It was the best restaurant because the food is first class. Wonderful starter selection and steaks with delicious rich sauces of your choice. Ambience reasonably good as well.

However, one evening a party of 8 of us went there. They came along with a bread basket with some small but delicious rolls. I asked for another one after ordering our meals which the waiter reluctantly gave me. I then made the mistake of asking for a third (this had been some time, not one after the other) and he told me that they only give two rolls per person. I asked him if he was serious, his facial expression gave me the answer.

We ordered from the starters and my wife had something which had prawns with it. She doesn’t like them so when the meal came I said to the waitress if I could have them. She said no! Then turned to my wife and said “do you want them or not?”.

We ordered lots of wine and all had 3 courses so the bill was a large one. I left absolutely no tip.

We were the last to leave the restaurant and the owner came out smiling asking us if everything was ok and I told her what had gone wrong. She was apologetic saying that that’s not their policy.

I wrote to her shortly afterwards explaining more fully what had happened and hoped she’d use that as constructive feedback as it was intended. I heard nothing from her.

So going from a fairly regular visitor, always in a largish party, I haven’t been there for 15 years or so. And I do miss the food.

The restaurant? Bouchon De Rossi, Oxford St.

Strangely enough, I was thinking of mentioning Bouchon de Rossi as my nomination for the worst of the more up-scale restaurants in Swansea. On my only visit, the bill for myself and wife came well into three figures, but the food was mediocre with one course near inedible. Of the others, I think Hanson's at the Chelsea is good (except for the name), and Slice in Eversley Road, Sketty may be right up there if you can handle the prices, the booking backlog and the small portions. My favorites, taking account of the balance between quality and value, are Truffle in King Edward's Road and Gilligans in Sketty. If you like Thai food then Thai Bach in Bryn-y-mor Road is very good. Restaurants that others say are good but I haven't tried are the Pant-y-Gwydr and Barnabys in Eversley Road.
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 11:38 - Sep 26 with 636 viewsWhiterockin

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 11:06 - Sep 26 by AnotherJohn

Strangely enough, I was thinking of mentioning Bouchon de Rossi as my nomination for the worst of the more up-scale restaurants in Swansea. On my only visit, the bill for myself and wife came well into three figures, but the food was mediocre with one course near inedible. Of the others, I think Hanson's at the Chelsea is good (except for the name), and Slice in Eversley Road, Sketty may be right up there if you can handle the prices, the booking backlog and the small portions. My favorites, taking account of the balance between quality and value, are Truffle in King Edward's Road and Gilligans in Sketty. If you like Thai food then Thai Bach in Bryn-y-mor Road is very good. Restaurants that others say are good but I haven't tried are the Pant-y-Gwydr and Barnabys in Eversley Road.

Isn't it strange how people's opinions/experiences differ, I was thinking of Spice as one of the worst locally, granted I haven't been back and I went there 2 years ago. When I go out for a meal I balance the price against food quality, service, ambience. The food was ok but not as good as hyped, the service was as good as could be expected with the poor girl continually running up and down the stairs, but the ambience was terrible. How you can justify those prices (I often spend as much and more) to sit in an upstairs room without a view and tables crammed together is unacceptable. Yes I have had many worse meals, but it really sometimes comes down to expectations and reputation.
Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 11:42 - Sep 26 with 633 viewsAnotherJohn

Service ! Best and worst restaurant you have ever been to ? on 11:38 - Sep 26 by Whiterockin

Isn't it strange how people's opinions/experiences differ, I was thinking of Spice as one of the worst locally, granted I haven't been back and I went there 2 years ago. When I go out for a meal I balance the price against food quality, service, ambience. The food was ok but not as good as hyped, the service was as good as could be expected with the poor girl continually running up and down the stairs, but the ambience was terrible. How you can justify those prices (I often spend as much and more) to sit in an upstairs room without a view and tables crammed together is unacceptable. Yes I have had many worse meals, but it really sometimes comes down to expectations and reputation.

Balancing the considerations you mention is indeed important. That is why my top picks are Truffle and Gilligans.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024