Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the percentage of this forum..... 02:59 - Sep 8 with 9959 viewsPacal_Votan

..that are any good at actually playing the so called "beautiful" game???

I reckon aboot 12%.....!

I'd wager most on here would be suited to being cub scout leaders.

"Try the whine!!!"

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 21:31 - Sep 8 with 1970 viewsCanadaRanger

Left back. Left back in dugout... :) ?

I actually enjoyed playing centre-half as a kid, but was never any good.
Cross-country running was my sport, because it was about stamina and determination, without the need for poise and skill.
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 21:50 - Sep 8 with 1953 viewsHAYESBOY

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 12:53 - Sep 8 by westberksr

still dragging my sorry middle aged arse out twice a week for 8 & 6 a side. at 6'5" ideal for CB; never good, quick or nasty enough for higher levels. actually thought I got a bit better when I packed up 11's and played the smaller version; fianlly learnt to control and pass a ball (20 years too late)

used to play against Hayesboy back in the late 70's/80's, he could play a bit (before we all found the love of pies & beer!)

never gonna be 12%

Ah the good old days........when my left knee didnt have an ACL tear and i had sight in both eyes.(lost most of the sight in my right eye in an industrial accident in 1986)

I did get spotted playing for Park Lane (Westberks played for Sandgate) in 1982 by a QPR scout and was asked to go along for some training sessions and a couple of friendly games. Went for a about a month and all my details were taken....still waiting for the call.
Made the inter league side a few times for Hayes & Harlington (which included Paul Merson who played for Belmont Utd) but i wasnt pushy as a kid and alot of the kids that went to the QPR sessions i went to were pushy and ambitous. I was like a rabbit in the headlights.

And as Stuart said, beer and more beer later. Stuart is still thin and is mobile, where i am not.

Smells like a trout farm in here

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 21:54 - Sep 8 with 1945 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 16:56 - Sep 8 by Toast_R

Rank kit aswell

Shocking. There must have been a Wolves fan involved in the school's past

It's got to be Yarg

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 22:19 - Sep 8 with 1933 viewsnadera78

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 21:50 - Sep 8 by HAYESBOY

Ah the good old days........when my left knee didnt have an ACL tear and i had sight in both eyes.(lost most of the sight in my right eye in an industrial accident in 1986)

I did get spotted playing for Park Lane (Westberks played for Sandgate) in 1982 by a QPR scout and was asked to go along for some training sessions and a couple of friendly games. Went for a about a month and all my details were taken....still waiting for the call.
Made the inter league side a few times for Hayes & Harlington (which included Paul Merson who played for Belmont Utd) but i wasnt pushy as a kid and alot of the kids that went to the QPR sessions i went to were pushy and ambitous. I was like a rabbit in the headlights.

And as Stuart said, beer and more beer later. Stuart is still thin and is mobile, where i am not.

Merson played for Forest United, based near Kingsbury, which was a cracking club in those days. Tim Sherwood, Dean Austin, and Darren Currie (nephew of Tony) all came through that club. Also Danny Dichio and Alan McCarthy who both played briefly for QPR. Probably a few others too that I don't remember.

Me? I played for Brentford's youth team. Long time ago now though.
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 00:58 - Sep 9 with 1901 viewsQPRJennyxxx

i played football a couple of times and once i even did a goal.

mmmmmm Lee Cook xxxxxxxxx

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 01:00 - Sep 9 with 1899 viewsQPRJennyxxx

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 15:45 - Sep 8 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Played in goal for the county back in the 70's but my real claim to fame is being registered at the Guinness Book of Records for undoing the most womens bras in a minute (true). The end result beats any sport I can tell you.

Record was held by a German geezer (57 in a minute? can't be ar**d to check)

My PB was 39 probably because I was looking rather than unhooking!

Half a double Sudbury??????

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 08:44 - Sep 9 with 1866 viewsDubaiR

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 01:00 - Sep 9 by QPRJennyxxx

Half a double Sudbury??????

Played for Watford school boys and Herts county before moving to Dubai. Played with Lee Grant who went on to make it and Tommy Smith and Gary Fisken who played for Watford in the premier league were the age group above. Aside from Lee Grant don't think anyone else from our age group made it.
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 08:48 - Sep 9 with 1865 viewsTheBlob

Quite a few games for Sine Die FC.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 08:58 - Sep 9 with 1861 viewsade_qpr

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 08:48 - Sep 9 by TheBlob

Quite a few games for Sine Die FC.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 09:12 - Sep 9 with 1853 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'm alright when sober. Alas Sunday football in inconvenient for this blissful state.

I average a goal a game outfield and I'm a keeper

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 09:39 - Sep 9 with 1838 viewsHAYESBOY

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 22:19 - Sep 8 by nadera78

Merson played for Forest United, based near Kingsbury, which was a cracking club in those days. Tim Sherwood, Dean Austin, and Darren Currie (nephew of Tony) all came through that club. Also Danny Dichio and Alan McCarthy who both played briefly for QPR. Probably a few others too that I don't remember.

Me? I played for Brentford's youth team. Long time ago now though.

Sorry, never heard of Forest Utd.

Merson played for Belmont Utd in the Hayes & Harlington league from 1979-82ish.
He then left them to join Mavericks when they moved to the the Harrow youth league for the last season or two.

Only reference with a picture i could find on the net was below with a youg Paul Merson pictured on the ball.
I played with him on 3 occassions in the inter league side and he with another kid (Michael Bodley) were the stand out players in that league by quite a way.
Westberksr went to school with Michael i am 99% sure, Hayes Manor?

Merson was an out and out striker as a kid and as said above was the stand out player in our league as a kid.

http://stpatsboyscarlow.com/history/

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 09:40 - Sep 9 with 1835 viewsOakwoodR

Played a decent standard of Saturday football for a decade.
Managed a team for 7 years whilst also reffing for the AFA.
League Secretary / treasurer for 6 years and this season is my first without any involvement in the game in nearly 20 years.

Grass roots football is fcked unfortunately. Leagues everywhere are folding due to lack of teams. Expensive to run, poor facilities and people more interested in playing 5 a side the main reasons.

Also played a very decent standard of cricket for many years. Retired 2 years ago but was tempted back last month and fractured a finger fielding within 4 overs. Still played on and will do until the season ends next weekend..
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 11:23 - Sep 9 with 1810 viewsericgen34

I play every tuesday evenings here. That's how the hoops are well know in this village

I play left back or left wing. Not very good but very enthusiastic and physical - a l'anglaise they say :-)
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 12:01 - Sep 9 with 1792 viewsnadera78

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 09:39 - Sep 9 by HAYESBOY

He then left them to join Mavericks when they moved to the the Harrow youth league for the last season or two.

Only reference with a picture i could find on the net was below with a youg Paul Merson pictured on the ball.
I played with him on 3 occassions in the inter league side and he with another kid (Michael Bodley) were the stand out players in that league by quite a way.

Merson was an out and out striker as a kid and as said above was the stand out player in our league as a kid.

Absolutely 100% Merson played for Forest. The club was always banging on about that generation of players and Merson was often at the annual dinner and dance. As where Austin and Sherwood.

Just had a quick google and the club's still going, and they're listing Merson as an ex-player. Also listing Phil Smith who I played with, and I had no idea he'd gone on to play pro.

www.forestunitedyouthfc.co.uk/
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 13:49 - Sep 9 with 1767 viewsJigsore

I can run fast, I can jump high and I don't tire easily.

But i'm s**t at shooting and my positioning is awful.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 13:52 - Sep 9 with 1763 viewsHAYESBOY

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 12:01 - Sep 9 by nadera78

Absolutely 100% Merson played for Forest. The club was always banging on about that generation of players and Merson was often at the annual dinner and dance. As where Austin and Sherwood.

Just had a quick google and the club's still going, and they're listing Merson as an ex-player. Also listing Phil Smith who I played with, and I had no idea he'd gone on to play pro.

www.forestunitedyouthfc.co.uk/

Well unless he played Saturdays as well which i never heard of him doing, that will be a mystery to me because as i said he played for Belmont Utd from the age of 11 to 14/15.

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 14:46 - Sep 9 with 1750 viewsderbyhoop

Played 2 times against Gerry Francis. Lost the first, drew the second. That was U-11. Played with Robin Friday at 16. And scored the winner against Fulham Juniors at 18 in a 1-0 5 a side tournament win. But I still wasn't good enough to get paid for playing, unlike my younger brother.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 18:30 - Sep 9 with 1723 viewsQPRJennyxxx

Have played the game since i was seven, intend to join a team down here in Southampton as soon as i get this bloody tag off my ankle. It will be my 29th season. Was an old fashioned Target man, but with deceptive pace, which has long since gone. Started in senior football with Broadmoor for a season before nearly seven years at Sandhurst Town. Broke my leg twice in five months in my late twenty's when I was really starting to get the hang of it! during my injured period, 4 teams in the combined counties wanted to sign me, 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the league at the time, should give you an idea of my level! Hartley Wintney were the only team to offer me money, £10 appearance fee, £10 win bonus, £10 goal bonus!!!! joined AFC Wallingford for nothing instead and got relegated!!!! played more locally with Running Horse and Bracknell Forest in the East Berks league, and Sandhurst Devels in the Reading senior last season as well as sundays in the Bracknell Prem. Play with a few ex pro's, Chris Hodge (southampton) Paul Mckinnon (blackburn, malmo, and also one of 2 members i played with of the sutton team who famously beat Coventry) John charlton (exeter city, loaned from arsenal), and against joey beachamp, garry parker, and neil webb was manager of reading town too, what a fall from grace!!!!!

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 20:06 - Sep 9 with 1707 viewswestberksr

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 09:39 - Sep 9 by HAYESBOY

I seem to recall the name forest Utd, but nothing to do with Merson; he started off at Ruislip Rangers, then Belmont Utd. Made the fatal mistake in the first 5 minutes of a game of nutmegging him; he then spent 85 minutes beating me at least twice everytime he got the ball (so he must have been good ); I knew then I'd never make the grade at the age of 10

Mark: I was at Mellow Lane and our team were shite (too busy getting into trouble as a collective); Bodley was a great player & went to the scum but never tall enough for CB and not quick enough for CM (imo). Great days. trialled for the league side and got nowhere; eventually made a league 11 at about 23 but no scouts turned up

you calling me slim says more about you than me; all about the frame of reference
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 20:21 - Sep 9 with 1705 viewsmichael67

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 18:30 - Sep 9 by QPRJennyxxx

Have played the game since i was seven, intend to join a team down here in Southampton as soon as i get this bloody tag off my ankle. It will be my 29th season. Was an old fashioned Target man, but with deceptive pace, which has long since gone. Started in senior football with Broadmoor for a season before nearly seven years at Sandhurst Town. Broke my leg twice in five months in my late twenty's when I was really starting to get the hang of it! during my injured period, 4 teams in the combined counties wanted to sign me, 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the league at the time, should give you an idea of my level! Hartley Wintney were the only team to offer me money, £10 appearance fee, £10 win bonus, £10 goal bonus!!!! joined AFC Wallingford for nothing instead and got relegated!!!! played more locally with Running Horse and Bracknell Forest in the East Berks league, and Sandhurst Devels in the Reading senior last season as well as sundays in the Bracknell Prem. Play with a few ex pro's, Chris Hodge (southampton) Paul Mckinnon (blackburn, malmo, and also one of 2 members i played with of the sutton team who famously beat Coventry) John charlton (exeter city, loaned from arsenal), and against joey beachamp, garry parker, and neil webb was manager of reading town too, what a fall from grace!!!!!

Not bad for a bird!

Did you have one of those sport bras, or did you have your tits bouncing around the pitch? Just wondering what the 10 pound appearance fee was for.

Poll: Do you enjoy NorthermRs presser posts, and wish to see them every week?

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 21:11 - Sep 9 with 1679 viewsHAYESBOY

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 20:06 - Sep 9 by westberksr

I seem to recall the name forest Utd, but nothing to do with Merson; he started off at Ruislip Rangers, then Belmont Utd. Made the fatal mistake in the first 5 minutes of a game of nutmegging him; he then spent 85 minutes beating me at least twice everytime he got the ball (so he must have been good ); I knew then I'd never make the grade at the age of 10

Mark: I was at Mellow Lane and our team were shite (too busy getting into trouble as a collective); Bodley was a great player & went to the scum but never tall enough for CB and not quick enough for CM (imo). Great days. trialled for the league side and got nowhere; eventually made a league 11 at about 23 but no scouts turned up

you calling me slim says more about you than me; all about the frame of reference

Sorry Stuart, had it in my head you went to Hayes Manor.

Didnt know Merson started at Ruislip Rangers. Always thought he started at Belmont with the likes of Paul Alexander who was another good player.

I every now and then bump into Neil Phillips who was at Park Lane with me. I am sure he was at Mellow Lane. Its good because he makes me look anorexic when i see him now.

Bodley played in the lower leagues after Chelsea let him go.

In fact he is sort of famous as if anyone saw a documentry about Barry Fry managing Peterborough, there is a a half time talk where him and Mick Bodley have a bust up and a cup of tea ends up over Barry Fry. Its actually referenced on Wiki. Funny as fck as well.

On 32.30

What year did Sandgate reach the cup final? 1981 or2? I remember you beat us in the semi final 1-0 at your ground, somewhere in Cranford(?). And did you play Mavericks or Belmont? I remember it as you playing Belmont and losing. Steve Perryman dishing out the medals at the end.
Always loved my 10% off at Perrymans.

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 21:12 - Sep 9 with 1678 viewsQPRJennyxxx

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 20:21 - Sep 9 by michael67

Not bad for a bird!

Did you have one of those sport bras, or did you have your tits bouncing around the pitch? Just wondering what the 10 pound appearance fee was for.

ha ha, how are you mate?

still playing with the under 11's?

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 21:16 - Sep 9 with 1670 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 21:12 - Sep 9 by QPRJennyxxx

ha ha, how are you mate?

still playing with the under 11's?

Only until Wed when his case comes up.
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 22:41 - Sep 9 with 1638 viewsBrazilNutR

played saturday amateur league footy for several years.. the mens team i first played for at 15 (double black eyes on my debut!) are now in the Helenic league...but were not when i was there... currently play futsal (indoor footy brazil style) and suprise a few Brazilians with my non English style...occasionally play for a Gringo team over here.. heading and physicality were my weaknesses, which are highly regarded in England unfortunately..
Anyway...have a good footballing brain I think...shame noone else was ever on my wavelength.
At the end of the day...Always loved playing football, and hope to play it in some form until my body allows it.
What's the percentage of this forum..... on 22:57 - Sep 9 with 1632 viewsRodneysgongger

What's the percentage of this forum..... on 12:23 - Sep 8 by ted_hendrix

Rodneysgongger scored two goals at Loftus Road.

Oh dear.

Indeed I did sir.......one in each half............

oh dear

Oh Dear

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024