Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
coleman 01:31 - Oct 21 with 1699 viewsrochdale1

Im gonna come on the end of it here but ive simply had enougth, this doesnt feel like team rochdale anymore.... Where a new squad and I know it takes time but I dont think it will ever be right under coleman.. Im not saying hes a bad manager, but hes not the future of our club... Coleman will keep us safe and a mid table team, but thats about it.... Ive spoke to alot ov fans and they are all the same, it just doesnt feel like our team anymore, so much so nobody realy cares.. we need something our someone to excite us again..... Investment is needed or we are league two for the next 10 seasons ...... Its all abit yawwnnnnn ! Attendences arnt gonna lie
coleman on 01:50 - Oct 21 with 1678 viewsBirchy915

I didn't want to get rid of Eyre :)

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

coleman on 07:31 - Oct 21 with 1622 viewsRayWilkins

My word that's a tad strong, two defeats on trot came on the back of a tremendous unbeaten run so may I just say that I feel your a wee bit premature to write off John Coleman just yet.

It still feels like Keith Hill is still lingering around the club and everybody is expecting us to 'football teams to death' in League2 once more.

It's not marvellous right now but it is also far from being so poor that we need to start demanding for a new manager just look what happened at Chelsea immediately after they let myself and then Carlo go, although I was delighted for JT and the boys at the end of last season. Splendid.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

'My word'

coleman on 08:44 - Oct 21 with 1572 viewsTalkingSutty

There are things about Coleman that worry me. The amount of ex Accrington recruits is one, none of those players resulted in Accrington winning promotion from league two so i dont see why he thinks they will be successful this time around.

Crainey and Puterrill seem to be at the club as some sort of loyalty thing because we are now approaching November and we are yet to see Crainey. Puterrill looks good in patches but i question his fitness and Colemans reluctance to put him in the starting eleven when he is available. Cavanagh was a fringe player at Fleetwood and that was in the Blue Square, so all in all there is only Grant out of the Accy players who i rate as a good signing.

I also seriously worry that because of Colemans "all things Scouse" and lack of sports science ( some people call it the pub team mentality) that a lot of potential signings will not come to the club because of the managers and Bells reputation. Lets face it they do have a certain reputation in the game stemming from their Accrington days.

The disciplinary side of the club also worries me, the amount of sending offs, penalties conceded, petulance displayed by the players and rumblings of misdemeanours off the pitch ( smoke without fire comes to mind).

I am going to generalise now but the Scousers at the club seem the ones with the slapped arse attitudes, i dont see it from the young kids in defence or Kennedy or Dele. The sendings off of Mcintyre and Grant are perfect examples and they result in us dropping points. This is why a lot of the fans have no connection with this crop of players or the management team.In fact our team reflects the personalities and demeanour of our management set up and i think that holds us back inthe disciplinary and recruitment stakes.

Questions also have to be asked about Colemans tactical nouse because from what i have seen i think he is caught in a time warp, we have no plan B and seem to have only one way of playing, the players also seem scared to death of expressing themselves during games and this results in our very sterile and boring home performances.

In fact i havent seen one game home or away this season where we have had a consistent 90 minutes performance. Funnily enough the games at Rotherham and Accrington sum up our performances for me. We won both games but when you analysed what you saw we could and should have lost both of them. In each game we had a twenty minute purple patch and that was enough.

League two is crap this season thats why we are still up in the mix, i want to see now if Coleman can realise that he has to move away from this "all things Liverpool mentality" release players who are just warming the bench and bring in two or three decent loan players that will enable us to revert to a different system if need be.

To put it in a nutshell i am beginning to thing that Coleman and Bell are at best midtable league two level, maybe we should be happy with that !!
coleman on 09:13 - Oct 21 with 1510 viewsalderleydale

coleman on 08:44 - Oct 21 by TalkingSutty

There are things about Coleman that worry me. The amount of ex Accrington recruits is one, none of those players resulted in Accrington winning promotion from league two so i dont see why he thinks they will be successful this time around.

Crainey and Puterrill seem to be at the club as some sort of loyalty thing because we are now approaching November and we are yet to see Crainey. Puterrill looks good in patches but i question his fitness and Colemans reluctance to put him in the starting eleven when he is available. Cavanagh was a fringe player at Fleetwood and that was in the Blue Square, so all in all there is only Grant out of the Accy players who i rate as a good signing.

I also seriously worry that because of Colemans "all things Scouse" and lack of sports science ( some people call it the pub team mentality) that a lot of potential signings will not come to the club because of the managers and Bells reputation. Lets face it they do have a certain reputation in the game stemming from their Accrington days.

The disciplinary side of the club also worries me, the amount of sending offs, penalties conceded, petulance displayed by the players and rumblings of misdemeanours off the pitch ( smoke without fire comes to mind).

I am going to generalise now but the Scousers at the club seem the ones with the slapped arse attitudes, i dont see it from the young kids in defence or Kennedy or Dele. The sendings off of Mcintyre and Grant are perfect examples and they result in us dropping points. This is why a lot of the fans have no connection with this crop of players or the management team.In fact our team reflects the personalities and demeanour of our management set up and i think that holds us back inthe disciplinary and recruitment stakes.

Questions also have to be asked about Colemans tactical nouse because from what i have seen i think he is caught in a time warp, we have no plan B and seem to have only one way of playing, the players also seem scared to death of expressing themselves during games and this results in our very sterile and boring home performances.

In fact i havent seen one game home or away this season where we have had a consistent 90 minutes performance. Funnily enough the games at Rotherham and Accrington sum up our performances for me. We won both games but when you analysed what you saw we could and should have lost both of them. In each game we had a twenty minute purple patch and that was enough.

League two is crap this season thats why we are still up in the mix, i want to see now if Coleman can realise that he has to move away from this "all things Liverpool mentality" release players who are just warming the bench and bring in two or three decent loan players that will enable us to revert to a different system if need be.

To put it in a nutshell i am beginning to thing that Coleman and Bell are at best midtable league two level, maybe we should be happy with that !!

Well said Sutty

This is the best post i have ever seen on this site

Sums it up to perfection
coleman on 09:16 - Oct 21 with 1502 viewsmikehunt

Blimey. I agree with OP. I was pondering how to put my feelings into words and that sums it up. The team is definitely missing something. We have got no one to "hang our hat on". Pedestrian performances have ground out some results but our fortunes could go either way. I, too, feel somehow disconnected.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

coleman on 09:19 - Oct 21 with 1494 views442Dale

Some good points, especially around the disciplinary side - we get far too many cards and give away too many free kicks and penalties. However, what's the ultimate solution? Any new manager is going to come in and try and build a team in their own image, and they aren't ever going to subscribe to the Team Rochdale ethos of 2007 that was created by the then management.... Created so they could build a team in their own image!

Using a similar mentality, we didn't recognise or identify with the team this time last season, and half of the side had been playing the year before under Hill. Again, this was because the manager at the time was trying to build HIS team.

If we changed managers tomorrow we still wouldn't be Team Rochdale. We'd be Rochdale with a different manager who will have his own way of playing and want his own type of player at the club. Does any of this excuse Coleman for his mistakes? No. He's at a crossroads where he must identify those players who aren't playing well enough and either a) leave them out (Cavanagh, Donnelly, Grimes P.Edwards - unless he's at centre half; and/or b) look to move them on as they do not contribute enough at first team level and therefore their wages could be used elsewhere (Crainey, BBM, Curran).

Oh, and Dele's scouse too!

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

coleman on 09:25 - Oct 21 with 1483 viewsfitzochris

coleman on 09:19 - Oct 21 by 442Dale

Some good points, especially around the disciplinary side - we get far too many cards and give away too many free kicks and penalties. However, what's the ultimate solution? Any new manager is going to come in and try and build a team in their own image, and they aren't ever going to subscribe to the Team Rochdale ethos of 2007 that was created by the then management.... Created so they could build a team in their own image!

Using a similar mentality, we didn't recognise or identify with the team this time last season, and half of the side had been playing the year before under Hill. Again, this was because the manager at the time was trying to build HIS team.

If we changed managers tomorrow we still wouldn't be Team Rochdale. We'd be Rochdale with a different manager who will have his own way of playing and want his own type of player at the club. Does any of this excuse Coleman for his mistakes? No. He's at a crossroads where he must identify those players who aren't playing well enough and either a) leave them out (Cavanagh, Donnelly, Grimes P.Edwards - unless he's at centre half; and/or b) look to move them on as they do not contribute enough at first team level and therefore their wages could be used elsewhere (Crainey, BBM, Curran).

Oh, and Dele's scouse too!

You've got it there, sir. And, as I just posted on another thread, JC needs to also build a squad with multiple options and not try to shoehorn an XI into one way of playing.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

coleman on 09:30 - Oct 21 with 1472 viewsTVOS1907

Does the 'Let's Kick It Out' week of action include Scouse racism too?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

coleman on 09:47 - Oct 21 with 1439 viewsDalenet

coleman on 09:30 - Oct 21 by TVOS1907

Does the 'Let's Kick It Out' week of action include Scouse racism too?

No because Scouse isn't a race. Have you not done any racism training TVOS? You can abuse the scousers without fear provided you don't mention their race.
coleman on 09:47 - Oct 21 with 1439 viewsTVOS1907

TS makes some good points about the ex-Accy players, but I think the bit about them not winning promotion there has to be put into context.

Without checking, I would guess they were probably classed as among Accy's better players at the time and had less quality around them, whereas at Dale there is definitely more quality around them (Tutte, JK, Bennett, Adebola (he's doing the job he was brought here for)), so their lesser qualities are now more obvious.

I also liken when Coleman came in to when Hill came in. Both teams were in and around the relegation zone, yet the players Hill inherited had a lot more quality than those Coleman inherited, so he was starting from a much lower base.

Also, Hill was appointed at the start of a transfer window, which he utilised to good effect; Coleman was appointed with only a week of it left.

But that's all in the past and the current situation is more relevant.

I think it's a bit harsh to suggest we were fortunate to win at Rotherham and Accrington. We retaliated from set-backs well in both games and displayed many of the qualities lacking against the likes of Burton and Morecambe, so I think we deserved the three points both times.

Some poster on here yesterday was ridiculed for saying that apart from the first ten minutes yesterday, we were probably the better side. He was right, but it can't then work the other way when we have benefited from that flip of the coin.

It's clear the team isn't firing on all (or any?) cylinders at the moment and probably don't have the personnel to do so consistently. Whether that will be addressed over the coming months, we'll have to wait and see, but I agree 100% about the likes of Putterill and Craney.

There are still so many questions to be answered, but the feelings among the fanbase at the moment (Not feeling like Team Rochdale, etc) are a result of the success Hill enjoyed (and the buoyancy it brought with it for all supporters), to the subsequent way in which those feelings have taken such a dramatic drop so quickly.

coleman on 09:53 - Oct 21 with 1424 viewsTVOS1907

coleman on 09:47 - Oct 21 by Dalenet

No because Scouse isn't a race. Have you not done any racism training TVOS? You can abuse the scousers without fear provided you don't mention their race.

OK, dalenet. "Calm Down, Calm Down!"

coleman on 11:55 - Oct 21 with 1300 viewsD_Alien

I agree with many of the points so well expressed by TS, 442 and TVOS

But I wonder if there's also something different happening now? I don't recall, even when watching some of the dross served up during the 70s 80s and 90s, such a feeling of "disconnectedness" - and its this point that concerns me the most. Even during those years with duffers in charge, many of us trudged cheerfully up to Spotland and then argued and commiserated in the pub afterwards.

It was a means of escape from the routine of work, domesticity, and even with financial constraints we found a means of paying through the turnstile whatever the prospects of winning, whatever the weather.

Those days seem to have gone now, although Coleman seems stuck in that era in terms of training, tactics and manner.

I don't blame him; maybe it's just us that've changed, along with the modern world where lifestyle choices have increased, standards expected of public services and private companies have been laid down, willingness to accept incompetence has greatly diminished.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

coleman on 12:16 - Oct 21 with 1250 viewsNewbury_Dale

coleman on 11:55 - Oct 21 by D_Alien

I agree with many of the points so well expressed by TS, 442 and TVOS

But I wonder if there's also something different happening now? I don't recall, even when watching some of the dross served up during the 70s 80s and 90s, such a feeling of "disconnectedness" - and its this point that concerns me the most. Even during those years with duffers in charge, many of us trudged cheerfully up to Spotland and then argued and commiserated in the pub afterwards.

It was a means of escape from the routine of work, domesticity, and even with financial constraints we found a means of paying through the turnstile whatever the prospects of winning, whatever the weather.

Those days seem to have gone now, although Coleman seems stuck in that era in terms of training, tactics and manner.

I don't blame him; maybe it's just us that've changed, along with the modern world where lifestyle choices have increased, standards expected of public services and private companies have been laid down, willingness to accept incompetence has greatly diminished.

Does the "disconnectedness" have to do with things like Twitter ? You could say that social media and the internet in general is designed to bring the fans closer to the players/club. I think it's having the opposite effect with Rochdale.
coleman on 12:51 - Oct 21 with 1191 viewsTVOS1907

coleman on 12:16 - Oct 21 by Newbury_Dale

Does the "disconnectedness" have to do with things like Twitter ? You could say that social media and the internet in general is designed to bring the fans closer to the players/club. I think it's having the opposite effect with Rochdale.

No, I don't think that's anything to do with it at all.

D_Alien makes some salient points; my view is that the feelings now are as they are because of what they were, say, two years ago. It's all relative.

In the early 80s, when I started watching, we had been crap for years, so our crapness then was being compared to even more crapness, if that makes sense.

Suddenly, in 85/86, we started well and were top of the league on August Bank Holiday Monday. There was widespread euphoria and we even got over 2,000 for a game! Yet, the euphoria was so disproportionally high because it was being compared to what had preceded it.

coleman on 13:22 - Oct 21 with 1138 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

"disconnectedness" is the word that sums it all up!

Diary of many a Dale fan yesterday.

Never gave going to Plymouth a thought!

Didn't try logging on to Dale World coz it never works.

Knew Cavanagh would play and JR out (slight surprise Cav wasnt at RB, but shoe horn another mate in there wasnt).

Got beat.

Just waiting for the "Cant be arsed/Dont want to be here interview" and the 'standard' day is complete.

Simpson also had a decent start, if Dele gets injured or doesnt fancy a long hard winter, we could be in real trouble, as we simply dont have a plan B!

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

coleman on 13:31 - Oct 21 with 1114 viewsTalkingSutty

coleman on 13:22 - Oct 21 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Knew Cavanagh would play and JR out (slight surprise Cav wasnt at RB, but shoe horn another mate in there wasnt).

Got beat.

Just waiting for the "Cant be arsed/Dont want to be here interview" and the 'standard' day is complete.

Simpson also had a decent start, if Dele gets injured or doesnt fancy a long hard winter, we could be in real trouble, as we simply dont have a plan B!

Cheer up Steve, it could be worse. How does Torquay away in the first round of the FA cup sound
coleman on 13:52 - Oct 21 with 1086 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

coleman on 13:31 - Oct 21 by TalkingSutty

Cheer up Steve, it could be worse. How does Torquay away in the first round of the FA cup sound

I thought my post was quite 'chipper' lol.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

coleman on 17:39 - Oct 21 with 846 viewsmightydale

coleman on 13:22 - Oct 21 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Got beat.

that sounds like my diary over last couple of seasons

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

coleman on 17:46 - Oct 21 with 834 viewsBartRowou

coleman on 17:39 - Oct 21 by mightydale

that sounds like my diary over last couple of seasons

Are the cows not producing the goods?

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024