Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latest Figures 06:13 - Mar 30 with 12114 viewsR17ALE

Have arrived to shareholders and they show a healthy profit from our relegation season, but scratching beneath the surface they are also alarming. We received £985,715 in transfer fees (£477,664 the previous year) and we showed a profit of £350,000.

However, the contributaries to the cause, ie the commercial department all showed a decrease in every area. Goldbond looks to be down by about £300 per week and we have got to close the shop. It is costing us a player to keep it open!

Brace yourselves....

Shop sales fell from £130,000 to £80,000. Cost of shop purchases was £58,000. You can take out £12,000 at least from the £80,000 as that is coach travel money which continues to be accounted for incorrectly. So we've basically spent £58k to produce £68k and we've paid someone £x to do it.

And the board wonder why fans are staying away, and constantly wonder "what problem?"

FFS, it's there in black and white. Again.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Latest Figures on 19:03 - Mar 30 with 1778 viewsNewbury_Dale

Nike is a far more desirable brand than Fila. You'd far sooner wear a Nike polo shirt than a Fila one.
Latest Figures on 20:40 - Mar 30 with 1679 viewsblackpoolcol

Latest Figures on 19:01 - Mar 30 by 49thseason

Col,
Thank you for taking time to answer so fully. Your comments need forwarding to Mr Dunphy. Its very clear that many of the obvious things have been tried but in the end I feel its a combination of doing simple, obvious things well and applying the lessons learned elsewhere that will lead to greater success.
As far as recruiting new members is concerned, perhaps the club could take on teams of students over their summer holidays to a) go over existing rounds to garner new members and b) blitz areas with few members to create new rounds or part rounds which could then be taken up by interested collectors. If the problem is getting enough collectors then perhaps the club ought to look at the rewards on offer for the first year or two of new rounds until they become established.
As far as pubs are concerned, I would have thought that a simple scratch card operation with a decent profit split would be even more attractive given the reduction in trade?
In any case thank you, your sharing of expertise is appreciated.

thanks for the comment 49th but all supporters need to appreciate that without YOUR help the club can not expand the lottery.

I am proud to say that I worked at Dale not once but twice and learned a hell of a lot off both Richard Wild and Pete Woodhouse in how to run lotteries and to give you an idea, the staff at Morecambe want to introduce a 'swear box' for how many time I say "You need to look at Rochdale" / "Well at Rochdale" / "we do this because it works and its how Rochdale do it" - sometimes you dont realise how good the system at Dale is and how highly regarded it is in the industry.

I have the same problems in Morecambe as the guys at Dale have. Trying to get collectors to come forward and even more so the right ones. Its takes months to build a lottery properly but only a few weeks to totally knacker it up. A couple of agents have been sacked by me within a few weeks just because they would not collect properly and because of their actions it cost members

Yes throw a few students in to do a bit of canvassing but dont waste the good areas on bad canvassing, make sure they do things properly and in the way that the club would be proud of, these people would be representing the club to people who may not have even ever thought of the club. On average a door will be knocked probably every 9 - 12 months so dont waste them.

In regards to scratchcards, again its not like the 'old days' where a 25p scratchcard sold well. Now we have the local newsagents selling not just £1 but £2, £5 and £10 scratchcards - you try to get your product onto a probably limited space in a shop which is backed by major advertising, if you can do it for a relatively small club like Dale then please tell me how! Some supporters who own their own businesses will support the club but not at the cost of bread on the family table. Even to get them into pubs, its making sure the money tallies and when they win making sure its paid out - who is responsible for it all? Plus its the chain pubs who you cant get into who have the most customers "its against company policy" is a standard reply.

In regards to rewards to the collectors every penny you pay extra in expenses is less going to the club. so if you put up your expenses by say 5% it would be dangerous as suddenly you have agents sayings "well why should they get the extra and not me?" its all about having a standard rule also to after say a year suddenly say "we are now cutting your rate by 5%" to someone will not go down very well.

Sadly we do not have the likes of David Clough queing up round the block these days who will go and collect whatever the weather on a regular reliable basis.

If you can spare the club a couple of hours a week or even fortnight give Pete a ring, help them with the collecting and let them get on with their main job of recruitment.

Make a difference, make the call !

With my little stick of Blackpool Rock, along the promenade I'll stroll

Latest Figures on 20:42 - Mar 30 with 1675 viewsAReeves

Latest Figures on 19:03 - Mar 30 by Newbury_Dale

Nike is a far more desirable brand than Fila. You'd far sooner wear a Nike polo shirt than a Fila one.

My thoughts (for what they are worth)

Gold bond - think over the years the GB has been seen as the cash cow, but what has been done to invigorate / upgrade / generate more interest in this. In current financial climate and with general ebb and flow of the existing customer base its hardly surprising that without re-investment of time / resource in this, that the figures are down.

Club shop - selection of stuff in shop has been rubbish for many years, massive missed opportunities to sell casual / lesuire type stuff (stuff you could wear in the pub without looking like a member of the coaching staff), most people very rarely go in now because the choice is so poor.

Promotions / general commercial stuff - Club seem really apathetic towards doing anything to promote anything, attitude from members of commercial dept towards ideas / fans suggestions is embarrassingly unprofessional.

I know it seems easy for us all sat here, and I'm sure its much harder with real time restrictions / budgets etc, but at the moment the clubs off the fields activities seem distinctly non league.

"Forums don't know how to run clubs" ( direct quote from a current club employee) - perhaps not, but we are a passionate about OUR club and probably couldn't do much worse than the current bunch.
Latest Figures on 20:46 - Mar 30 with 1662 viewsolympicdale

Latest Figures on 10:56 - Mar 30 by R17ALE

I'd buy one of those too, but there might be minimum order restraints on a product like that.

From what I can gather, stock purchased has been too reliant on here and now sales, and is worthless after its shelf life has passed eg Coleman's mustard t-shirts.

Beach towels are safe though and will never lose their longevity in appeal, ditto mugs, glassware etc.

But tailoring a product to an individual person or event is pure madness at a club of our size, and with a revolving door spinning quicker than the shithouse door when the plague's in town!

It's all common sense really......

Surely you can add Umbrellas to that list too, and in our climate it would certainly get good advertising, make it stylish, black and blue stripes with a small crest on one of the sections, surely not hard.

Life is a game of fate.

Latest Figures on 20:53 - Mar 30 with 1651 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Just spoken to Olympicdale about this matter and he is very much of the opinion that these figures represent the financial astuteness of the Dale board who still delivered a profit in what was a poor season on the pitch and a dire financial environment off the pitch. Thus, proving that the club is in safe hands.

Olympic also added that these figures reveal the total incompetence of the board whose financial mis-management is leaving a situation where we can only be hopeful of having a club next season. He pleads with us not to buy a season ticket next season as it would be akin to giving Bernie Madoff your life savings.

Olympic also added the figures were mixed with there being some bad and good news

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Latest Figures on 21:10 - Mar 30 with 1615 viewsR17ALE

Latest Figures on 20:46 - Mar 30 by olympicdale

Surely you can add Umbrellas to that list too, and in our climate it would certainly get good advertising, make it stylish, black and blue stripes with a small crest on one of the sections, surely not hard.

Ignoring Mr Mycock at my peril, I reply to OD.

Yes, umbrellas, are a cert. tea towels, household items, things fans might buy in Marks, but can get in the shop. It really isn't rocket science.

As an example, the 365 book was a decent hunch, but it wasn't thought through commercially. I imagine there are 1000's of unsold copies loafing around in the shop.

Retail is simple: Take mini scarves - 200 minimum order = £400. This means when you've sold half at £4, every single one sold after is 100% profit.

Do the shop staff even adhere to these basics? My guess is no, and the figures support my accusation.

It's all a big mess and no-one has the balls to sort it out, so next year it will be even worse.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Latest Figures on 12:28 - Mar 31 with 1468 viewsThreeLions

Latest Figures on 14:14 - Mar 30 by TVOS1907

Col moves about a lot, they could be anywhere!

Dont think theres a North West seaside resort he hasnt lived/worked in now
Latest Figures on 12:36 - Mar 31 with 1458 viewsYouTubeDale

Raz, in your opening post you correctly stated that the coach revenue was included in the shop sales. We are not told in the accounts what the coach revenue is and therefore you made an assumption of £12k. I will make a very simple assumption that the coach revenue was £12k for the last 3 years so that we can ascertain a good ball-park figure for the shop profit.

Year ending May 2010 Profit £25k 17%
Year ending May 2011 Profit £37k 29%
Year ending May 2012 Profit £29k 36%

I suggested at the AGM at the time that in 2010 there were hefty stock write-offs giving rise to low profit. My remark seemed to be swept under the carpet by the FD Paul Hazelhurst by saying he didn't have the details. Yes, you have to allocate shopkeepers labour, heat and lighting, etc to reach a net profit, which further reduces the above.

In your initial analysis you fail to account for the movement in stock figures.So, although the latest figures are worse , and the shop should be doing better, they are not as bad as you made out.

My personal take on things are that there are too many people slagging the shop, and our merchandise, off too much. It's not that bad. But I think Raz does have some good ideas on how to better the shop and commercial thinking.
Simon Danczuk, our MP, stated that Rochdale has been far too reliant on public sector jobs, they being axed and Rochdale is hit particularly badly. With the brutal economic downturn we should leave no stone unturned and all aspects of the club should be questioned. And that includes the running of the shop. Although the shop performance is important, when you look at the big picture, it is merely a side show... We obtained nearly £1m from transfers year ending May 2012 and nearly £1/2M the year before. So our manager needs to be pulling Bunneys out of hats as I said on another thread. Hill is the man to do that and all efforts should be made to retain him. Money from the League is about £1M and therefore our League status needs to be maintained -it goes without saying but the accounts puts it in black and white. Keeping a lid on players wages (£1.4M ) is a must next year if we are without transfer monies. And the last "Biggy" of the big picture is gate receipts £800k down from £900k.

If you make the simple assumption that the last person through the turnstyle costs you "nothing", then that £20 in the Main stand falls straight to the bottom line. A massive profit compared to the shop percentages above. This is therefore extremely important to get right and focus our attentions on. This is where our marketing, or lack of, has REAL effect.

Through promotions, PR, advertising, selling, getting the "product" right (football on the pitch etc etc) and getting the prices spot on, we affect the numbers coming through the gates and hence our profit on the bottom line. In these harsh economic times we need to graft at our marketing even harder for us even to stand still.

What !... a football club making profits for the second year running ?? A football club having NEVER been in administration???????

Yes, that's Rochdale Football Club. And we are proud of it.

But, we still need to be putting our money into the club and not boasting that we are not buying a season ticket again. And the club needs to be working harder and smarter.

Support the club as much as you can by putting money into it and not always thinking about the "freebies".

Constructive criticism, yes, because we all want to see our club do even better, but don't slagg off our proud club just for the sake of it.

Up the Dale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Login to get fewer ads

Latest Figures on 13:16 - Mar 31 with 1426 viewsolympicdale

Latest Figures on 20:53 - Mar 30 by BigDaveMyCock

Just spoken to Olympicdale about this matter and he is very much of the opinion that these figures represent the financial astuteness of the Dale board who still delivered a profit in what was a poor season on the pitch and a dire financial environment off the pitch. Thus, proving that the club is in safe hands.

Olympic also added that these figures reveal the total incompetence of the board whose financial mis-management is leaving a situation where we can only be hopeful of having a club next season. He pleads with us not to buy a season ticket next season as it would be akin to giving Bernie Madoff your life savings.

Olympic also added the figures were mixed with there being some bad and good news

this is an outrage...

I never backed the boards decisions, course if I was sent said figures by post as required i could comment more, but i am legally required not to do so.

now for a game of find the sarcasm mrcock, < is that sarcasm too...

Life is a game of fate.

Latest Figures on 13:21 - Mar 31 with 1420 viewsDalenet

Latest Figures on 12:36 - Mar 31 by YouTubeDale

Raz, in your opening post you correctly stated that the coach revenue was included in the shop sales. We are not told in the accounts what the coach revenue is and therefore you made an assumption of £12k. I will make a very simple assumption that the coach revenue was £12k for the last 3 years so that we can ascertain a good ball-park figure for the shop profit.

Year ending May 2010 Profit £25k 17%
Year ending May 2011 Profit £37k 29%
Year ending May 2012 Profit £29k 36%

I suggested at the AGM at the time that in 2010 there were hefty stock write-offs giving rise to low profit. My remark seemed to be swept under the carpet by the FD Paul Hazelhurst by saying he didn't have the details. Yes, you have to allocate shopkeepers labour, heat and lighting, etc to reach a net profit, which further reduces the above.

In your initial analysis you fail to account for the movement in stock figures.So, although the latest figures are worse , and the shop should be doing better, they are not as bad as you made out.

My personal take on things are that there are too many people slagging the shop, and our merchandise, off too much. It's not that bad. But I think Raz does have some good ideas on how to better the shop and commercial thinking.
Simon Danczuk, our MP, stated that Rochdale has been far too reliant on public sector jobs, they being axed and Rochdale is hit particularly badly. With the brutal economic downturn we should leave no stone unturned and all aspects of the club should be questioned. And that includes the running of the shop. Although the shop performance is important, when you look at the big picture, it is merely a side show... We obtained nearly £1m from transfers year ending May 2012 and nearly £1/2M the year before. So our manager needs to be pulling Bunneys out of hats as I said on another thread. Hill is the man to do that and all efforts should be made to retain him. Money from the League is about £1M and therefore our League status needs to be maintained -it goes without saying but the accounts puts it in black and white. Keeping a lid on players wages (£1.4M ) is a must next year if we are without transfer monies. And the last "Biggy" of the big picture is gate receipts £800k down from £900k.

If you make the simple assumption that the last person through the turnstyle costs you "nothing", then that £20 in the Main stand falls straight to the bottom line. A massive profit compared to the shop percentages above. This is therefore extremely important to get right and focus our attentions on. This is where our marketing, or lack of, has REAL effect.

Through promotions, PR, advertising, selling, getting the "product" right (football on the pitch etc etc) and getting the prices spot on, we affect the numbers coming through the gates and hence our profit on the bottom line. In these harsh economic times we need to graft at our marketing even harder for us even to stand still.

What !... a football club making profits for the second year running ?? A football club having NEVER been in administration???????

Yes, that's Rochdale Football Club. And we are proud of it.

But, we still need to be putting our money into the club and not boasting that we are not buying a season ticket again. And the club needs to be working harder and smarter.

Support the club as much as you can by putting money into it and not always thinking about the "freebies".

Constructive criticism, yes, because we all want to see our club do even better, but don't slagg off our proud club just for the sake of it.

Up the Dale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think people are boasting about not buying a season ticket then you are stupid. There are many people that are frustrated and disillushioned and that needs sorting. The club has been in rapid decline for 2 years now and little has been done to address it despite the help and offers of help to sort it. But to suggest that people are boasting about the state we are in is simply stupid.

ps - are you sure we get £1m from the League as a league two club. I thought that figure was relevant for a league one club - I think league two clubs get half of that unless you have evidence to the contrary
Latest Figures on 13:36 - Mar 31 with 1396 viewsKenBoon

The thing with the current line of tat in the shop is it's all grossly overpriced. In fact whenever I go into our Club Shop I feel like i'm about to be ripped off. Don't get me started on the £7.50 P&P for online sales! How many folk have had a trolley full of shirts and tat, got to the end and just buggered it off when they see £7.50 added on. Deliveries should be free for all orders over £25 and no more than £3 for those below. That way people who buy a kids shirt at £20 might add some tat to get it above £25.

Away from the club shop I think we need to make the experience more enjoyable. It'd go down like a keff in a church but why not close the Sandy and get the 700 or so who go in there into the Pearl Street. The atmosphere would be a heck of a lot better and with no need to steward the Sandy the prices in there could be dropped. I know some folk blab on about how they'd stop coming if standing was taken away, but some folk also blabbed on about stopping coming when smoking was banned.

We've got to embrace what folk have wrongly described as tin pot (not talking about drums here). This entire town failed to move with the times, which is why its a shit box in some areas. The club cannot make the same mistake. Create stands with atmosphere. Hype the heck out of matches, even if it's very tin pot and get deals in place that attract everyone. Families, Kids, Schools, Pubs, Friends of fans, etc. Oh and make those deals transparent and not hidden behind a load of crap.
Latest Figures on 13:57 - Mar 31 with 1372 views442Dale

Latest Figures on 13:21 - Mar 31 by Dalenet

If you think people are boasting about not buying a season ticket then you are stupid. There are many people that are frustrated and disillushioned and that needs sorting. The club has been in rapid decline for 2 years now and little has been done to address it despite the help and offers of help to sort it. But to suggest that people are boasting about the state we are in is simply stupid.

ps - are you sure we get £1m from the League as a league two club. I thought that figure was relevant for a league one club - I think league two clubs get half of that unless you have evidence to the contrary

The difference from 2010 (promotion season) and 2011 (first year in L1) showed an increase of 419k from the League/FA Pool.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Latest Figures on 14:33 - Mar 31 with 1333 viewsYouTubeDale

2011 League and FA pool £999,486
2012 League and FA pool £1,048,829
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Latest Figures on 14:44 - Mar 31 with 1316 views442Dale

Latest Figures on 14:33 - Mar 31 by YouTubeDale

2011 League and FA pool £999,486
2012 League and FA pool £1,048,829

Both years were seasons we were in League 1. For 2010, the end of the season when we were promoted, it was 580k.

Latest Figures on 15:08 - Mar 31 with 1291 viewssandylaner1

move sandy fans into willbutts

away fans in sandy

better view/better atmosphere - singers of sandy congregated end close to wmg - when attacking sandy end fans can move seats to other end

kept relaxed standing regulations same for home fans like they are now for away supporters so fans who will want to stand safely in wilbutts can do

profit???
Latest Figures on 15:16 - Mar 31 with 1271 views442Dale

Latest Figures on 15:08 - Mar 31 by sandylaner1

away fans in sandy

better view/better atmosphere - singers of sandy congregated end close to wmg - when attacking sandy end fans can move seats to other end

kept relaxed standing regulations same for home fans like they are now for away supporters so fans who will want to stand safely in wilbutts can do

profit???

Less money from away fans. It's been done to death as well, far too many of our fans like the option to stand in the Sandy. Until it becomes an option to no longer use that end full stop, or seats HAVE to be put in when we reach the Premier League it's probably not really worth going over it, no matter how valid the arguments are.

Latest Figures on 15:34 - Mar 31 with 1247 viewsYouTubeDale

Latest Figures on 14:44 - Mar 31 by 442Dale

Both years were seasons we were in League 1. For 2010, the end of the season when we were promoted, it was 580k.

Yes, that's correct, these monies are for League 1.

Latest Figures on 15:43 - Mar 31 with 1234 viewsolympicdale

Latest Figures on 21:10 - Mar 30 by R17ALE

Ignoring Mr Mycock at my peril, I reply to OD.

Yes, umbrellas, are a cert. tea towels, household items, things fans might buy in Marks, but can get in the shop. It really isn't rocket science.

As an example, the 365 book was a decent hunch, but it wasn't thought through commercially. I imagine there are 1000's of unsold copies loafing around in the shop.

Retail is simple: Take mini scarves - 200 minimum order = £400. This means when you've sold half at £4, every single one sold after is 100% profit.

Do the shop staff even adhere to these basics? My guess is no, and the figures support my accusation.

It's all a big mess and no-one has the balls to sort it out, so next year it will be even worse.

surely things like beach towels an the likes could be ordered on a sale or return policy, order say 100 an see how they go, its basic sales techniques that we seem to be lacking.

Life is a game of fate.

Latest Figures on 15:45 - Mar 31 with 1229 views442Dale

Latest Figures on 15:34 - Mar 31 by YouTubeDale

Yes, that's correct, these monies are for League 1.

Ah right. Dalenet mentioned the relevant figure for a League 2 club, which that was the last figure back in 2010, we'll find out a year from now what we got this season from the pool now we're back in League 2.

Latest Figures on 15:56 - Mar 31 with 1215 viewssandylaner1

Latest Figures on 15:43 - Mar 31 by olympicdale

surely things like beach towels an the likes could be ordered on a sale or return policy, order say 100 an see how they go, its basic sales techniques that we seem to be lacking.

beach towels with ashley grimes artwork just for you OD....

I agree though, the club should look at and trial different types of merchandise now before summer and next season
Latest Figures on 16:26 - Mar 31 with 1186 viewsolympicdale

Latest Figures on 15:56 - Mar 31 by sandylaner1

beach towels with ashley grimes artwork just for you OD....

I agree though, the club should look at and trial different types of merchandise now before summer and next season

ooooh boy don't you start too now.

you'll have bigdavemycock even bigger with such statements.

but in all seriousness, i wouldn't hold our breathe for such innovative ideas from the club, why change the habit of a lifetime.

Life is a game of fate.

Latest Figures on 18:26 - Mar 31 with 1117 viewsdownunder

Latest Figures on 15:43 - Mar 31 by olympicdale

No chance of that.
There are plenty of companies around that print brands on all sorts of "tat". Beach towels is a great idea, though. I'll have 2 when the club gets them organised.
I would have thought the German Football clubs would have been first to get these.
Latest Figures on 18:31 - Mar 31 with 1116 viewsGizzaNosh

As the figures look pretty rosy for now, I can't see the board taking much action.

The fact that we are absolute melts when it comes to cup competitions doesn't help our financial situation whatsoever.

Aren't the people at the helm supposed to be astute businessmen? Surely there's a degree of foresight needed in order to be successful in any type of business, nevermind one that exists in such a financially volatile market.

If we're ever really short of cash, maybe we could get Mr David Mycock to do a stand-up segment in order to raise funds?

That or he could just lob his massive wang out and charge people to have their picture taken with it?

I know which one he'd prefer, the saucy little minx.
Latest Figures on 18:31 - Mar 31 with 1116 viewsGizzaNosh

FOOK SAKE.
Latest Figures on 18:34 - Mar 31 with 1112 viewsoff2div1

Latest Figures on 15:08 - Mar 31 by sandylaner1

away fans in sandy

profit???

Moving sandy fans would increase the cost to them of £5 we would lose fans, putting away fans in sandy we would lose £5 per away fan lose income..
Why don't we just open main stand because we could fill that and get rid of stewards in other stands. Ha Ha
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024