Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How to make a big stadium feel intimate 20:28 - Dec 15 with 4671 viewsVancouverHoop

A thread to throw up examples of what might help make a large stadium have the atmosphere of Loftus Road on a good day.

Mentioned here before, BC Place has a power curtain, that conceals the upper deck when it's not needed. You can just see the red upper deck seats peeking through in this wide-angle photo of a Vancouver Whitecaps match:

CenturyLink Field in Seattle, home of the NFL's Seahawks ans MLS Sounders. Specifically designed to be the noisiest stadium in the NFL. Note the curvature of the stands, that angle crowd noise towards the field:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CenturyLink_Field

I'm not saying we should copy these ideas wholesale, but they do offer examples for consideration, and I'm sure there are others out there.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:21 - Dec 21 with 983 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:19 - Dec 21 by jimlav

Anybody have any thoughts on the size of the pitch? The small LR pitch increases the compact feeling of the ground and the great atmosphere, but I have always felt it hampered us on the pitch. More often than not we tend to play decent football and a bit more width would give us a bit more space and help us against teams that just came to defend. My teenage years were spent wishing the likes of Sinclair, Impey, Wilson and Bardsley had another 5 or 10 yards to work in.

Excellent point. We need enough space so that in the future we can decide which pitch size suits us in which season.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 19:12 - Dec 22 with 933 viewsderbyhoop

You often hear people saying our pitch is small, but it isn't as small as they think.
It isn't massive but Newcastle, Spurs and West Ham all have smaller playing areas than us.
Because the crowd is so close and the stadium, itself, very small, the pundits think the pitch must be tiny as well.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 11:27 - Dec 23 with 865 viewsCamberleyR

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 19:12 - Dec 22 by derbyhoop

You often hear people saying our pitch is small, but it isn't as small as they think.
It isn't massive but Newcastle, Spurs and West Ham all have smaller playing areas than us.
Because the crowd is so close and the stadium, itself, very small, the pundits think the pitch must be tiny as well.

^^^^^^^^
This

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 12:15 - Dec 23 with 855 viewsstansleftfoot

It's odd this stuff about pitch size when it's all predetermined. Club pitch dimensions have to be registered with whichever League you play in pre-season. So I think QPR at 112 yards long and 72 yards wide is a little longer than some but narrower than other Premiership pitch's, don't know 'bout Football League.
Its the proximity of the stands to the touchline that give the impression of crowd pressure and closeness, Well, it would wouldn't it.
I think most Premiership pitches are 110 yards and 72/4/5 yards wide. The average is around 8200 square yards, which is Loftus Road, the smallest the Boleyn Ground at 7700 square yards.
In terms of a new stadium obviously a rectangular stadium allows for the stands to be close at all points to the pitch, its just the run off area that determines how involved the fans seem.
I'd suggest it is not hard to build a modern Loftus Road, to allow it to be covered temporarily, to plan how much sunlight gets onto the pitch,to introduce underfloor heating, watering systems, ultra violet, mixed grass and fibre pitch , removable seating to allow a stage to be used, safe standing area's.
The other determining factor is how steep the gradient of the seating is.
It's all 'do'able' I think Beard and Fernandes want to 'do' right, it's an exciting thought, I'm not sure the stadium predicates how noisy the fans are, but lots of work can be done on how close they feel to the action and how the acoustics work.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 12:45 - Dec 23 with 847 viewsQPunkR

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 01:10 - Dec 16 by WanderR

The LFW Crew discussion on the train to Blackpool threw up the possibility of having safe standing behind one of the goals at the new stadium. This would not only help to undo some of the damage to the matchday atmosphere caused by removal of some fans to create a family area in the Lower Loft but also mark out the new stadium as being unique and a game changer which would should appeal to both the fans and the board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25269939

Aye, I was talking about the new stadium with a fellow R last night and suggested the same. By the time comes that we start work on the stadium, the law may have been relaxed or withdrawn completely. I sincerely hope we integrate standing areas, the German model seems ideal, really

QPR - "shit but local"

How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:33 - Dec 23 with 835 viewsthemodfather

do we go for
a) the "bowl" shape
b) the square...but theres a i) open in corners or ii) boxed in
it's a big decision in a town called malice!
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 13:57 - Dec 23 with 826 viewsstansleftfoot

I think its the square, its got a smaller footprint and the seats/fans are the same distance away along all points of the touchline as determined by the runoff. So they can be closer, especially if they are raised up over a lowered pitch.
Upside is that it can use a smaller area but it is more expensive to build. I think one sets off the other, especially on London land prices.
How to make a big stadium feel intimate on 14:23 - Dec 23 with 811 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road: 112 x 72 yards

The Emirates: 105m x 68m (a lot smaller than ours and they are supposedly a footballing team rather than hoofing it)
Craven Cottage: 109 x 71 yards (smaller)
Old Trafford: 116 x 76 yards (bigger)
Anfield pitch: 110 x 75 yards (smaller length, bigger width [ooh errr])
The Den: 105 x 68 yards (smaller)
The Valley: 112 x 73 yards (almost identical)
Stamford Bridge: 113 x 74 Yards (almost the same)
Cardiff City: 110 x 75 yards
Brittannia Stadium: 115 x 75 yards
White Hart Lane: 110 x 73 yards

and so on....

[Post edited 23 Dec 2013 14:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024