Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My First Rochdale Game! 14:58 - Dec 14 with 4471 viewsFatCat

The 4-1 win at Colchester was my first ever Rochdale game.
I am primarily a West Ham supporter, but, what with the advent of the Premier League I have been priced out of watching the Hammers.
My favourite other league team? Rochdale of course.
Why is this?
Well, back in 1977 I started to support West Ham.
As the 1977-78 season finished in relegation for West Ham (an early indication as to what being a Hammers fan meant) I looked at the league tables and saw that Rochdale finished right at the bottom of the pile.
Since then I have had a soft spot for The Dale.
As a 40 something, on Saturday I finally decided to put one of my bucket list to bed and watch Rochdale play.
I only live about 20 miles from Colchester, a mere walk compared to those that travelled from Lancashire on Saturday.
I was really glad to see my first Dale goal, let alone a comfortable 4-1 win, and was genuinely rooting for the team.
I was also surprised to see the amount of Dale fans at Colchester.
I guessed at 200 or so and wasn’t far out.
Well done to you all that travelled such a long way.
I hope to make the pilgrimage to Spotland one day. Hopefully this season.
Maybe I can tempt the missus to a weekend shopping in Manchester while I go and see my first Dale home game.
My First Rochdale Game! on 15:03 - Dec 14 with 4458 viewsTalkingSutty

Hiya Fat Cat, welcome to the Dale family it's good to have you on board.
My First Rochdale Game! on 15:19 - Dec 14 with 4387 viewsD_Alien

Good to hear you chose the right game!

Oddly enough, I've always had a soft spot for West Ham since my dad took me to watch them play Burnley the year after England won the World Cup and they had Moore, Hurst and Peters in the line up. Always a team that wanted to play football the right way. Good game too, 3-3.

Maybe a few Hammers were wary that Sam Allardyce might change that, but I guess they're happy enough now?

[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 15:21]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

My First Rochdale Game! on 15:30 - Dec 14 with 4331 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Get up to San Spotty Catlad......and bring as many as you can !

Scroll down the Forum and read up the "Interview with David Cross" post.......may be of interest as a Hammer.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2014 21:11]
My First Rochdale Game! on 16:26 - Dec 14 with 4187 viewsdilleydaler

Alan Taylor is of course the other major connection. Still did pre match corporate stuff at the Boleyn up to a couple of years ago, maybe he still does. Have we ever played wet spam?
My First Rochdale Game! on 17:59 - Dec 14 with 4047 viewsBrighouseDale

Hello FatCat, pleased to hear you enjoyed it yesterday and look forward to hearing about your first visit to Spotland. I'm sure there are many on here who'd like to meet you for a pre-match pint.

Just out of interest, did anyone else start supporting Rochdale after another club?

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

My First Rochdale Game! on 18:13 - Dec 14 with 4020 viewsHuddersdale1

You weren't the only West Ham fan supporting Dale at Colchester yesterday. My mate (40+ years Dale supporter) lives in Ilford and went to the game with his son, who is a Hammer.
My First Rochdale Game! on 18:24 - Dec 14 with 3989 views442Dale

My First Rochdale Game! on 17:59 - Dec 14 by BrighouseDale

Hello FatCat, pleased to hear you enjoyed it yesterday and look forward to hearing about your first visit to Spotland. I'm sure there are many on here who'd like to meet you for a pre-match pint.

Just out of interest, did anyone else start supporting Rochdale after another club?

If they did, you can bet they enjoy watching cup draws.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

My First Rochdale Game! on 21:01 - Dec 14 with 3793 viewsTVOS1907

My First Rochdale Game! on 16:26 - Dec 14 by dilleydaler

Alan Taylor is of course the other major connection. Still did pre match corporate stuff at the Boleyn up to a couple of years ago, maybe he still does. Have we ever played wet spam?

No, never.

The full list of Dale/West Ham players, as far as I can find, is:

Steve Banks
Eric Betts
Ian Bishop
Stephen Bywater
David Cross
Lee Hodges
Peter Kurucz
Paul McCallum
Alan Taylor
Joe Widdowson
Doug Wragg

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

My First Rochdale Game! on 21:13 - Dec 14 with 3762 viewsDySporting

My First Rochdale Game! on 17:59 - Dec 14 by BrighouseDale

I can say I support two clubs, season tickets with Norwich and now a decade plus taking photos for dale.

Strangely enough the first Norwich away game I went to was west ham in the fa cup quarter finals.
My First Rochdale Game! on 21:15 - Dec 14 with 3753 viewsTVOS1907

My First Rochdale Game! on 21:13 - Dec 14 by DySporting

I can say I support two clubs, season tickets with Norwich and now a decade plus taking photos for dale.

Strangely enough the first Norwich away game I went to was west ham in the fa cup quarter finals.

It's closer to 20 years than a decade.

Remember Leyton Orient away?

My First Rochdale Game! on 21:39 - Dec 14 with 3699 viewsDySporting

My First Rochdale Game! on 21:15 - Dec 14 by TVOS1907

It's closer to 20 years than a decade.

Remember Leyton Orient away?

August 98 away to Plymouth under mr barrow was the first official game!

How could I forget orient away!

Being thrown out at Bradford away as well sticks out
My First Rochdale Game! on 22:48 - Dec 14 with 3598 viewsrichfoad32

I've never really followed another team but my reasons for supporting Dale came about more or less the same way. In the late 70's when I first started to take an interest in football and Rochdale were constantly being re-elected every season I developed what would be a lifelong affinity with the underdog. I lived in Newark at the time and as their wasn't a local league team I decided to become a Rochdale fan.

Even though we moved to Brighton and I have now been here 30+ years I always looked out for them and started to attend games when I was old enough and Dale travelled down south. I work most Saturdays now but still get too as many games as I can. Got a soft spot for BHA as well and I'll go to watch them but Dale are my team. Many of my contemporaries grew up as Liverpool or Man.U. fans but I'm so glad I didn't take the glory route. It's strange to most people when I tell them I support Rochdale but I couldn't be prouder at the minute and it's shame our achievements aren't getting wider recognition.
My First Rochdale Game! on 23:23 - Dec 14 with 3534 viewsR17ALE

My First Rochdale Game! on 22:48 - Dec 14 by richfoad32

I've never really followed another team but my reasons for supporting Dale came about more or less the same way. In the late 70's when I first started to take an interest in football and Rochdale were constantly being re-elected every season I developed what would be a lifelong affinity with the underdog. I lived in Newark at the time and as their wasn't a local league team I decided to become a Rochdale fan.

Even though we moved to Brighton and I have now been here 30+ years I always looked out for them and started to attend games when I was old enough and Dale travelled down south. I work most Saturdays now but still get too as many games as I can. Got a soft spot for BHA as well and I'll go to watch them but Dale are my team. Many of my contemporaries grew up as Liverpool or Man.U. fans but I'm so glad I didn't take the glory route. It's strange to most people when I tell them I support Rochdale but I couldn't be prouder at the minute and it's shame our achievements aren't getting wider recognition.

The theme of this thread is the English obsession with the underdog.

Given this obsession, why aren't we the best supported club in the country?

And, to the OP, forgotten the name....top dog, big wig....can you have a word next time you're at Upton Park as you still owe us a Friendly as part of the Alan Taylor transfer!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

My First Rochdale Game! on 19:31 - Dec 15 with 3269 viewsFatCat

A lot of replies, thank you!
When I do go to Spotland I'll let you know and post on here.

Yes, I certainly remember David Cross.
A very good goal scorer who once hit 4 in a game v Spurs!
Bywater and Alan Taylor certainly spring to mind as well.
My First Rochdale Game! on 20:02 - Dec 15 with 3236 viewsArthurDaley

Get in there Alan.

Think he got a couple in the semi final as well, can't remember who they played.
One of the conditions , before West Ham signed him was he hadn't to play in the FA Cup.

A large VAT Dave

My First Rochdale Game! on 20:16 - Dec 15 with 3217 viewsfrenzied

I moved my support from Man Utd to Dale in around 2002 so ive seen the halcyon days of the Dale by and large..my West Ham memories go back to the 70S...Clyde Best, and "Pop" Robson were my favourites
My First Rochdale Game! on 20:46 - Dec 15 with 3188 viewsTVOS1907

My First Rochdale Game! on 20:02 - Dec 15 by ArthurDaley

Get in there Alan.

Think he got a couple in the semi final as well, can't remember who they played.
One of the conditions , before West Ham signed him was he hadn't to play in the FA Cup.

Aye, rumour has it he was 'ill' before our first round tie v Marine.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024