Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 17:18 - Jan 23 with 31791 viewsSwansTrust

The Swans Trust have issued the second part of our 'Where do we go from here?' statement:

http://www.swanstrust.co.uk/2016/01/23/where-do-we-go-from-here-part-2/

www.swanstrust.co.uk

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:22 - Jan 23 with 2982 viewsSwanzay

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:12 - Jan 23 by 3swan

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Huw-Jenkins-speaks-Swansea-City-eye-Seyd

The club wouldn't, and shouldn't, talk detail and over the last few years we haven't known until the ink is dry.

(obviously without going in to detail) as I said!
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:23 - Jan 23 with 2977 viewsSwanzay

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:16 - Jan 23 by Phil_S

In fairness the club have always kept cards close to their chest when it comes to transfers so this time is no real difference but there are times when saying something may help

Thanks for the feedback Phil and the statement!
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:25 - Jan 23 with 2960 viewsSwanzay

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:17 - Jan 23 by Darran

Swanzay having a (another) mare.

Please stop your ass licking fetish and stop trying to be the clever tw@!
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:28 - Jan 23 with 2947 viewsJoe_bradshaw

If expenditure on players of £50M in the last 18 months highlights "just how much we backed Garry Monk", does that indicate that player purchases were Garry Monk signings at his request?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:31 - Jan 23 with 2935 viewsSwanzay

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:28 - Jan 23 by Joe_bradshaw

If expenditure on players of £50M in the last 18 months highlights "just how much we backed Garry Monk", does that indicate that player purchases were Garry Monk signings at his request?

Or one of Rod Gilberts heavily edited playlists on his saturday show?

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:35 - Jan 23 with 2928 viewsMillie

Till I die
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:41 - Jan 23 with 2914 viewslondonlisa2001

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:35 - Jan 23 by Millie

Till I die

Absolutely Amen to that!! COYS.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:51 - Jan 23 with 2875 viewsLeonisGod

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 17:37 - Jan 23 by exiledclaseboy

And the sort of thing the Trust should be doing much more of. It still reads like the sort of info the club itself should be releasing but seeing as the club can't or won't, kudos to the Trust for saying what they can.

Yes I'd agree with that. It reads very much of towing the club line (that's not a criticism), but it also makes sense. It's a very fine line between successfully gambling and p1ssing money up the wall. Of course us fans want us to spend to bring in exciting players, but there's no guarantee that money = quality (unless you're shopping in the Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero shop).

We can't afford to compete by buying known quality. We have to gain the edge by being a better team than the sum of our players. It's all about spirit and team togetherness for us, with a sprinkling of added quality through clever recruitment (e.g. Michu).
Login to get fewer ads

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 23:23 - Jan 23 with 2687 viewsheadcleaner

Not what you say it's what you don't say.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 23:35 - Jan 23 with 2670 viewsNookiejack

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 18:46 - Jan 23 by A_Fans_Dad

Personally I would like to see the breakdown of that £40M deficit, because the fans have all been congratulating themselves & the club on their shrewd transfer dealings, buying players cheap and selling for more.
That is also the view that prevails in the meida, so was it all a smoke screen?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2016 18:48]

It will be the agents fees and signing on fees last 3.5 years.

All we see on the press is the headline fee and not the above.

Agents fees can be 10% of the headline fee and most players a signing on bonus of between 3 to 9 months wages.

Gomis, Ayew and Cork (£3m headline fee) also likely to earnt very larger signing on fees given they had run their contracts down.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 00:12 - Jan 24 with 2603 viewsswanstillidai

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:12 - Jan 23 by monmouth

Oh do come on. They say nothing and people moan, they release an eminently sensible statement that doesn't try and cause civil war and people moan.

Surely all can see plainly the horns of the dilemma that we are caught on.

I think the last few years has eradicated a lot of goodwill towards the Board (and they will and should imo be judged more harshly from now on...but let them at least be judged harshly on what they do from here on). But this is surely a real and transparent cry for unity in understanding what we face, as adults (yes, I understand your logical position, even if I would prefer something different), rather than as little children (the Board is crap, Hj is a dick, I want a Charlie Naismith wah wah wah).

The dividend thing is good news. They also need to visibly sort out any jobs for the boys that remain. But for now, whatever happens, we need to be together, Board, Trust, Manager, Players, Fans, uncle Tom Cobley....or we can kiss goodbye to the premier league.

For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to get my head around how the actual f*ck our club has 600 staff on the payroll.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 00:13 - Jan 24 with 2597 viewsNookiejack

If say our turnover will be £94m this year (£10m less than last year S likely to finish 10 places lower) and our costs are £70m - then have £24m to spend on players.

You probably have to pay agents fees and signing on bonuses within £24m.

If say you extrapolate £24m for 4 years - based on average players contracts (as headline transfer fee depreciates away over life of contract) then have say £100m to spend on players over rolling 4 year period.

If you then assume we need 23 to 25 players in squad - average cost of player will be £4m. Granted the squad will include some development players.

If you spend say £12m on a striker + 10% transfer fee + signing on bonus - you are starting to make quite a dent into the £100m.

This is the reason I really agree with others on here that have said we can't afford to make any mistakes. Top 7 clubs receive minimum £200m a season - so if buy a striker that doesn't fire or suffers horrendous injury - can go back into market. If we do then won't have much money left for rest of squad.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 08:18 - Jan 24 with 2478 viewsUxbridge

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 21:51 - Jan 23 by LeonisGod

Yes I'd agree with that. It reads very much of towing the club line (that's not a criticism), but it also makes sense. It's a very fine line between successfully gambling and p1ssing money up the wall. Of course us fans want us to spend to bring in exciting players, but there's no guarantee that money = quality (unless you're shopping in the Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero shop).

We can't afford to compete by buying known quality. We have to gain the edge by being a better team than the sum of our players. It's all about spirit and team togetherness for us, with a sprinkling of added quality through clever recruitment (e.g. Michu).

Or conversely the club is towing the Trust line regarding not living beyond our means or attempting to spend our way out of trouble and putting our club at risk.

Anyway I completely agree with the statement, and many of the comments on here. The comments have actually given me a lot more faith in our fans after some of the ridiculously illogical ones often made on the FB Group.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:24 - Jan 24 with 2394 viewsPhil_S

I'm quite surprised how quiet the reaction on the FB group has been to be honest
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:32 - Jan 24 with 2381 viewslovejuicejack

Would it be fair to say there's a good chance we won't be able to sign a striker in this window then? It sounds to me from reading the statement that there is more chance of it not happening than it happening.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:53 - Jan 24 with 2142 viewsawayjack

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:32 - Jan 24 by lovejuicejack

Would it be fair to say there's a good chance we won't be able to sign a striker in this window then? It sounds to me from reading the statement that there is more chance of it not happening than it happening.

It does say we tried to spend a decent chunk of Shelvey money on a striker but wouldn't accept the crazy free transfer on relegation clause. Assume this still applies if there's any decent opportunities but world and his wife after strikers. If we can't get Gomis out suspect it'll be unproven loan player.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:04 - Jan 24 with 2099 viewslovejuicejack

Well I think what this whole thing shows (maybe stating the obvious) is that for us maybe more so than most other clubs a scouting network that is at the peak of its game is utterly crucial to the clubs continued survival specially in the prem. What we really need to is to be bringing in a relatively unknown but talented striker hungry but will not break the bank. Not easy but not impossible.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:04 - Jan 24 with 2099 viewsUxbridge

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:24 - Jan 24 by Phil_S

I'm quite surprised how quiet the reaction on the FB group has been to be honest

I'm not. It doesn't fit their narrative of people lying to them and pocketing the money for themselves.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:29 - Jan 24 with 2039 viewsjackonicko

Good statement. More of this kind of thing - lots to read between the lines there!
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:32 - Jan 24 with 2028 viewsblueytheblue

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 23:35 - Jan 23 by Nookiejack

It will be the agents fees and signing on fees last 3.5 years.

All we see on the press is the headline fee and not the above.

Agents fees can be 10% of the headline fee and most players a signing on bonus of between 3 to 9 months wages.

Gomis, Ayew and Cork (£3m headline fee) also likely to earnt very larger signing on fees given they had run their contracts down.

And of course, agents fees and signing on fees also cover contract extensions, not just new players.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:43 - Jan 24 with 1994 viewsdougie

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 09:24 - Jan 24 by Phil_S

He hasn't woken up from his Troll cave yet !
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:44 - Jan 24 with 1991 viewsDafyddHuw

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 17:37 - Jan 23 by exiledclaseboy

And the sort of thing the Trust should be doing much more of. It still reads like the sort of info the club itself should be releasing but seeing as the club can't or won't, kudos to the Trust for saying what they can.

This.

But excellent statement, fair nplay.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 10:48 - Jan 24 with 1985 viewsAnotherJohn

It may be that the accumulated gambles of selling on known quality while counting on successfully identifying bargain-price 'gems' has caught up with us, and I suppose that is a recurrent problem for small clubs like us. One cannot help thinking of the huge mistake the board made in signing Eder in the summer, as opposed to laying out a little bit more on genuine competition for Gomis . We have to move on admittedly, but that is a bitter pill and may well see us relegated. The trust statement is an honest attempt to explain where we stand, but I missed the bit that told us 'where ... we go from here'.
Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 11:04 - Jan 24 with 1950 viewsKingBony

Have to say that's an excellent statement and have to presume the figures quoted are correct.

It actually gave me a sense of pride in a way, difficult to explain but I think we have all gotten a little caught up in the prem bright lights and started taking things for granted.

We should never be in this league and that's not me being unambitious, it's the reality. Quite frankly it highlights to me just how far we came in such a short time.

STID
[Post edited 24 Jan 2016 15:31]

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 11:20 - Jan 24 with 1909 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Swans Trust Statement - Part 2 on 00:13 - Jan 24 by Nookiejack

If say our turnover will be £94m this year (£10m less than last year S likely to finish 10 places lower) and our costs are £70m - then have £24m to spend on players.

You probably have to pay agents fees and signing on bonuses within £24m.

If say you extrapolate £24m for 4 years - based on average players contracts (as headline transfer fee depreciates away over life of contract) then have say £100m to spend on players over rolling 4 year period.

If you then assume we need 23 to 25 players in squad - average cost of player will be £4m. Granted the squad will include some development players.

If you spend say £12m on a striker + 10% transfer fee + signing on bonus - you are starting to make quite a dent into the £100m.

This is the reason I really agree with others on here that have said we can't afford to make any mistakes. Top 7 clubs receive minimum £200m a season - so if buy a striker that doesn't fire or suffers horrendous injury - can go back into market. If we do then won't have much money left for rest of squad.

The only major weakness in your analysis is the fact that we have made some really major profits on our sales of players in the past and also some quite shrewd "swaps".
I can only assume that the £40M does not include payments to us still outstanding, but if they do then something is seriously wrong with the last 12 months of buying.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024