Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) 19:37 - Mar 3 with 12595 viewsHayesender

I see Hollywood have decided to ruin yet another classic from my childhood by pc-ing it up.

This looks frigging awful

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 12:13 - Mar 5 with 2249 viewsTheBlob

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 11:40 - Mar 5 by isawqpratwcity

On that we can agree.

I think John Carpenter didn't do the story justice. Mind control and aliens-hidden-in-plain-sight are two of my favourite sci-fi themes.

And no, I do NOT suffer from paranoia (much).

I read that story as a kid.That and The Other Sky by Keith Laumer on a similar theme - Carpenter seems to borrow from Laumer a lot.I don't think you have to be paranoid to notice parallels.I've just been going through the original series of Quatermass And The Pit,can see why it scared me shitless as a nine year old. Nigel Kneale tapped into some very dark race memories.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2016 12:13]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 12:36 - Mar 5 with 2238 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 12:13 - Mar 5 by TheBlob

I read that story as a kid.That and The Other Sky by Keith Laumer on a similar theme - Carpenter seems to borrow from Laumer a lot.I don't think you have to be paranoid to notice parallels.I've just been going through the original series of Quatermass And The Pit,can see why it scared me shitless as a nine year old. Nigel Kneale tapped into some very dark race memories.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2016 12:13]

A link to "Eight O'Clock in the Morning" by Ray Nelson, the source story for "They Live". It only takes five minutes to read.

http://www.whale.to/b/eight_o.html

Now I can see where Carpenter had to expand the story to make a film. Some bits he did well, other bits, not so much.

I'll see if I can track down "The Other Sky", too.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 23:15 - Jul 18 with 2073 viewsthame_hoops

So has anyone bothered to see this yet?
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 23:19 - Jul 18 with 2070 viewsPunteR

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 23:15 - Jul 18 by thame_hoops

Nope.
Star trek.
Rogue one.
Suicide Squad
Jason Bourne film are the ones in looking out for..

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 02:17 - Jul 19 with 2025 viewsSydneyRs

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 23:15 - Jul 18 by thame_hoops

I saw it with the kids at the weekend and enjoyed it. Its really not that bad.
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 07:57 - Jul 19 with 1961 viewsDorse

I'm waiting for Saving Private Rhianne.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 08:02 - Jul 19 with 1951 viewsthame_hoops

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 02:17 - Jul 19 by SydneyRs

I saw it with the kids at the weekend and enjoyed it. Its really not that bad.

I've heard it isn't as bad as some people late making out...my kids are a bit young otherwise I'd probably have taken them, I'll wait for the blue ray to come out.

I'm excited for Bourne, suicide squad, no so for Star Trek.
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 08:39 - Jul 19 with 1938 viewsBluce_Ree

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 09:30 - Mar 5 by isawqpratwcity

I was intrigued by the mention of "They Live", so I watched it this arvo on YouTube (you can get the whole film).

It was bloody awful! Badly written, acted and directed; I couldn't wait for it to finish. The only thing that had me guessing was that woman who worked at the TV station, Holly, I was sure she was a bloke in drag! I was waiting for the plot twist when she rips off her wig (or worse, her pants) and yells "Surprise!" But it didn't happen.

It wasn't all bad. I'd like to read the source short story "Eight o'Clock in the Morning" by Ray Nelson as I really like the premise that we are constantly bombarded with subliminal messages to "Sleep", "Conform", "Consume", etc. That's very Gurdjieff. Also I love a good paranoid sci-fi 'they-live-amongst-us' thriller. "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (both 1956 & 1978) are meat and potatoes to me.

Another nice bit lifted from IMDb:

"Writer-director John Carpenter has said of this movie that it was a critique of Reaganomics, a "vehicle to take on Reaganism"."

Good stuff.

Meg Foster is a goddess, punk!

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Login to get fewer ads

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 08:51 - Jul 19 with 1922 viewsToast_R

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 23:19 - Jul 18 by PunteR

Nope.
Star trek.
Rogue one.
Suicide Squad
Jason Bourne film are the ones in looking out for..

What, no Life on the Road?
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 10:31 - Jul 19 with 1902 viewsPunteR

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 08:51 - Jul 19 by Toast_R

What, no Life on the Road?

I'll wait till it comes out on Netflix or something. Not too fussed tbh

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 14:00 - Jul 19 with 1846 viewsqprxtc

Four pages about bloody Ghostbusters? The original wasn't even much cop!

Sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fu(kin thing. Other than this.
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 14:28 - Jul 19 with 1829 viewsdaveB

The new film doesn't look all that but probably not as bad as has been made out. the racist abuse that one of the women in the new film got on twitter over it was an absolute disgrace though
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 14:43 - Jul 19 with 1814 viewsNW5Hoop

Good to see so many men on this thread moaning about a crap film. Which they had not seen, but knew it was crap. Because it had women in it.

*bangs head repeatedly against desk*
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 14:58 - Jul 19 with 1799 viewssimmo

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 14:43 - Jul 19 by NW5Hoop

Good to see so many men on this thread moaning about a crap film. Which they had not seen, but knew it was crap. Because it had women in it.

*bangs head repeatedly against desk*

Nothing to do with having women in it, I thought it was actually a good idea. Until they started walking into things and laughing at funny wigs, etc. Akroyd/Murray it aint....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 16:21 - Jul 19 with 1764 viewshopphoops

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 15:32 - Mar 4 by Jigsore

the day it was reported they were remaking Memento 15 years after the original was when I realised the movie industry had lost its mind

As always I have no idea what i did last night but at some point someone scrawled DONT EVER WATCH THE NEW MEMENTO on my arm.

#baffled
[Post edited 19 Jul 2016 16:21]

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 10:40 - Jul 20 with 1694 viewsrobith

Saw it last night, laughed a lot, but then I never got the outpouring of hate to begin with.

A bit disjointed and not every gag lands, but hey, it's a Paul Feig film. Kate McKinnon properly kills it - channelling 70s screwball. Overall, it's a lot of fun. I found it interesting that one of the subtexts from the film is that you can't actually remake Ghostbusters directly, as the New York of the 1980s has ceased to exist. I quite liked that element to it

Could have done without the cameos , but I imagined they would've been slaughtered even more without them

Pretty good interview with Paul Feig about everything he endured through this film was made - especially interesting seeing the abhorrent concerted abuse Leslie Jones has received on twitter in the last couple of days:
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/paul-feig/41940/paul-feig-interview-ghostbust
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 11:13 - Jul 20 with 1671 viewswillis1980

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 10:40 - Jul 20 by robith

Saw it last night, laughed a lot, but then I never got the outpouring of hate to begin with.

A bit disjointed and not every gag lands, but hey, it's a Paul Feig film. Kate McKinnon properly kills it - channelling 70s screwball. Overall, it's a lot of fun. I found it interesting that one of the subtexts from the film is that you can't actually remake Ghostbusters directly, as the New York of the 1980s has ceased to exist. I quite liked that element to it

Could have done without the cameos , but I imagined they would've been slaughtered even more without them

Pretty good interview with Paul Feig about everything he endured through this film was made - especially interesting seeing the abhorrent concerted abuse Leslie Jones has received on twitter in the last couple of days:
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/paul-feig/41940/paul-feig-interview-ghostbust

completely agree, i thought the cameos added to much "cheese" to the film. If im going to nit pick i thought they over did it on the gadget front tbh, but otherwise it was entertaining enough.

McKinnon was great, theres something about Kristen Wiig that makes me want to run off into the sunset with her!
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 12:31 - Jul 20 with 1652 viewsrobith

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 11:13 - Jul 20 by willis1980

completely agree, i thought the cameos added to much "cheese" to the film. If im going to nit pick i thought they over did it on the gadget front tbh, but otherwise it was entertaining enough.

McKinnon was great, theres something about Kristen Wiig that makes me want to run off into the sunset with her!

I quite liked how they mixed up the dynamic from Bridesmaids with this time McCarthy more playing it straight and Wiig being a kind of sad comic relief. Her bits thirsting after Hemsworth properly had me in bits
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 12:57 - Jul 20 with 1628 viewsthame_hoops

on topic....has anyone seen the documentry on netflix called 'ghost heads'? its about ghostbuster fan groups n the usa. was an ok watch, didnt realise it had a cult following
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 13:19 - Jul 20 with 1622 viewsHooped_Pullie

Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 12:31 - Jul 20 by robith

I quite liked how they mixed up the dynamic from Bridesmaids with this time McCarthy more playing it straight and Wiig being a kind of sad comic relief. Her bits thirsting after Hemsworth properly had me in bits

Saw it on the day of release (out of curiosity) and happy to agree with those who've actually seen it that it ain't a bad effort by any means…wondered if Feig could handle an action movie, but he dispatches the full-on denouement with aplomb.

The cameos…the Ramis statue was inspired, Murray had his tongue firmly in his cheek, Ackroyd a bit predictable, and Ernie was fine. Sigourney Weaver looked like she stumbled in and didn't know what was going on. Nice spot for the old receptionist, too.

Looking forward to :

Star Trek
Bourne
David Brent

before summer's gone.
Ghostbusters (non QPR obviously) on 13:25 - Jul 20 with 1618 viewsHooped_Pullie

Forgot to mention, saw political documentary 'Weiner' last night.

Absolutely riveting stuff, if you've got even the slightest interest in politics you have to see it.

Definite 10/10.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024