Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could this work? 12:09 - Apr 2 with 23224 viewsR17ALE

Given the latest set of accounts show us making a £1.4m profit and that gate income was only £900,000 we would still have made £500,000 if we'd let everyone in for nowt.

Now that we own the stadium and keep all match day income, has the time arrived for us to scrap admission charges completely?

And I bet if we did, crowds would only go up slightly which sort of answers the question!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Could this work? on 20:26 - Apr 3 with 2315 viewsdingdangblue

Could this work? on 15:06 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

Said it already, we can challenge on what we have. Hill is proven and works miracles on what we have, but who's to say spending more on players would necessarily work anyway? Keep doing what we're doing and see where it takes us (I'm not naive enough to think that the playing budget won't go up as the years pass, but it should never be a priority as it's been illustrated we succeed without worrying too much about it).

We've missed an opportunity this year by not addressing issues at the back early enough, that's just an opinion on the football side of things. It's also not to say we haven't still done amazingly well. So no, we can challenge for the playoffs with the current standard of players that we have, they're of a better standard than Bradford's. A mid-table League One club will ALWAYS have a chance of the play-offs, up until two games ago we were proving that.

Will a reduction result in an increase? Who knows? Isn't it worth trying for a season?

Higher wages doesn't guarantee anything - Orient had players on 8 grand a week last season and went down.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Could this work? on 20:36 - Apr 3 with 2295 views442Dale

Could this work? on 20:26 - Apr 3 by dingdangblue

Higher wages doesn't guarantee anything - Orient had players on 8 grand a week last season and went down.

Exactly. Without wanting to get involved in everything, I can't ever really work out this theory around bringing in better players requires a bigger budget. Using our first season in L1 as an example: we brought in Anthony Elding who won't have been cheap, we also acquired Matty Done from Hereford. Who had the bigger impact?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Could this work? on 20:43 - Apr 3 with 2273 viewsrobbowood

Could this work? on 20:26 - Apr 3 by dingdangblue

Absolutely - if they did then Leicester wouldn't be top of the Premier League and we wouldn't be ninth in Division 1 !!!!
Could this work? on 20:48 - Apr 3 with 2259 views442Dale

Could this work? on 20:43 - Apr 3 by robbowood

Absolutely - if they did then Leicester wouldn't be top of the Premier League and we wouldn't be ninth in Division 1 !!!!

In fact, any talk of the need to increase playing budgets can easily be pushed to one side with the use of two words:

Paul.

Williams.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Could this work? on 20:49 - Apr 3 with 2256 viewsdingdangblue

Could this work? on 20:36 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

Exactly. Without wanting to get involved in everything, I can't ever really work out this theory around bringing in better players requires a bigger budget. Using our first season in L1 as an example: we brought in Anthony Elding who won't have been cheap, we also acquired Matty Done from Hereford. Who had the bigger impact?

I'm not having the argument that we wouldn't sell an awful lot more if they were massively reduced either. I dont imagine Hartlepool ever thought they'd sell over 5000 but they did (I think it was £100 as adult and £50 concession). It ended up getting National press involved and television were all over it. It just snowballed and because people were buying them it just grew and grew. If we aren't going to do anything about out dwindling support whilst we are flying high with Hill incharge and on the back of record profits plus and increase in tv money next season the we never will and it will be a massive opportunity lost. Off the top of my head and just to be bizarre - next season we are 109 years old. Price the tickets at £109!!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Could this work? on 21:04 - Apr 3 with 2226 viewscon_dale

Could this work? on 20:22 - Apr 3 by robbowood

£100 x 4000 = £400,000

£250 (average season ticket price ??) x 2200 = £550,000

£200 (average season ticket price ??) x 2200 = £440,000

When did we last average 4000 home supporters

I would be very surprised if we could sell 4000 season tickets regardless of the price. We would surely need to more than double the number of our season ticket holders (a lot of them concessionary?) and even then we could be substantially down on income. As has been said many times there are so many other FL clubs a short distance away

I don't know how many season tickets we sell or what the average price is - but the pricing of season tickets is a very tricky business decision for any football club and not just us

I live in Sheffield and would buy 3 at £100, I've managed 8 home games this season and 12 away but for £100 each it's worth the risk of not being able to get to as many next season!
Could this work? on 21:07 - Apr 3 with 2223 views49thseason

A better plan all-round might be to invest in electronic turnstiles which are smart enough to offer lots of different ticketing options?
I also wonder if there might not be an opportunity to establish an "Executive Club" of some sort with a 5-year season ticket which includes guaranteed seat, pre-match meal, car parking,early-bird cup tickets, etc. Rather like Wimbledon (tennis) Debentures - at say £2k each.
Another idea might be to sell pairs of tickets to local companies to offer to their employees as incentives
Could this work? on 21:13 - Apr 3 with 2209 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 20:08 - Apr 3 by roccydaleian

Until something like this is tried we'll never know. Surely now with record figures etc is the time to try it?

Well said.
Login to get fewer ads

Could this work? on 21:14 - Apr 3 with 2206 viewsrochdaleriddler

Could this work? on 20:48 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

In fact, any talk of the need to increase playing budgets can easily be pushed to one side with the use of two words:

Paul.

Williams.

as a general rule richer teams are more successful, as they buy the best players. It still needs someone who know s what they are doing to coach/manage, otherwise we could all be managers. Why because Paul Williams was crap would we not want to attract better players if we could afford better wages? If we had a couple more qulity, consistent players this season, we could have been challenging for the league title-fact. Dont get me wrong i love to see our misfits flourish, but they generally dont do it over 46 games, which is why they are at spotland and not Turf Moor

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Could this work? on 21:30 - Apr 3 with 2161 viewsdingdangblue

If the club now have fans on a mailing list how hard would it be to ask them? 3 options
Would you buy a season ticket at £300 yes/no
Would you buy a season ticket at £200 yes/no
Would you buy a season ticket at £100 yes/no

Obviously I and hundreds of regular season ticket holders would answer yes to all 3. It would give the club an indication of what other price non regular season ticket holders would pay. Easy.

Could this work? on 21:40 - Apr 3 with 2129 views100notout

Could this work? on 20:48 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

Paul.

Williams.

What an absolute bag of shite he was (he did one good thing whilst he was here scoring a wonder goal - apart from that nothing.)

And he was a horrible tvvat

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Could this work? on 21:42 - Apr 3 with 2125 views100notout

Could this work? on 21:30 - Apr 3 by dingdangblue

If the club now have fans on a mailing list how hard would it be to ask them? 3 options
Would you buy a season ticket at £300 yes/no
Would you buy a season ticket at £200 yes/no
Would you buy a season ticket at £100 yes/no

Obviously I and hundreds of regular season ticket holders would answer yes to all 3. It would give the club an indication of what other price non regular season ticket holders would pay. Easy.

Bit naive that

Don't you think most people would just vote no to the expensive options and yes to the cheaper one - stating the bleedin obvious would be totally inconclusive.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Could this work? on 21:47 - Apr 3 with 2106 viewsdingdangblue

Could this work? on 21:42 - Apr 3 by 100notout

Bit naive that

Don't you think most people would just vote no to the expensive options and yes to the cheaper one - stating the bleedin obvious would be totally inconclusive.

No , like I said I would vote yes to all 3. Its not a survey to set the price - just to see what people are willing to pay.
What if 4000 people answer yes to £100 ?
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 21:52]

Could this work? on 21:58 - Apr 3 with 2079 viewsLuke8686

Could this work? on 21:47 - Apr 3 by dingdangblue

No , like I said I would vote yes to all 3. Its not a survey to set the price - just to see what people are willing to pay.
What if 4000 people answer yes to £100 ?
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 21:52]

F*ck me for £100 even I would buy a ST!

Looking forward to the announcement on the 18th, hopefully we have finally woken up and decided to do something radical for a change
Could this work? on 22:02 - Apr 3 with 2068 viewsdingdangblue

That was the response Hartlepool got funnily enough!
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 22:04]

Could this work? on 22:07 - Apr 3 with 2049 viewsLuke8686

Could this work? on 22:02 - Apr 3 by dingdangblue

That was the response Hartlepool got funnily enough!
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 22:04]

Are we really that different to Hartlepool? Similar size, working class town, surrounded by bigger clubs

Don't see why we wouldn't see a similar response to them as long as we marketed it properly.
Could this work? on 22:34 - Apr 3 with 1987 viewsrobbowood

Could this work? on 22:07 - Apr 3 by Luke8686

Are we really that different to Hartlepool? Similar size, working class town, surrounded by bigger clubs

Don't see why we wouldn't see a similar response to them as long as we marketed it properly.

Hartlepool have to compete with Middlesborough, Sunderland and Newcastle (which I think is is about 25 miles away)

We have Man Utd, Man City, Bury, Oldham, Bolton (and Burnley and Blackburn I guess are nearer to us than Newcastle is to Hartlepool)

When Utd and City are on tv, especially in midweek, more often than not our gates suffer which I doubt affects Hartlepol as much as it does us
Could this work? on 22:50 - Apr 3 with 1952 viewsdingdangblue

Could this work? on 22:34 - Apr 3 by robbowood

Hartlepool have to compete with Middlesborough, Sunderland and Newcastle (which I think is is about 25 miles away)

We have Man Utd, Man City, Bury, Oldham, Bolton (and Burnley and Blackburn I guess are nearer to us than Newcastle is to Hartlepool)

When Utd and City are on tv, especially in midweek, more often than not our gates suffer which I doubt affects Hartlepol as much as it does us

I think it only affects the pay on the door people attending. If the majority of fans had season tickets already paid for the crowd shouldn't be affected by a game on telly as much.

Could this work? on 22:52 - Apr 3 with 1945 viewsrochedale

Never had a season ticket but would definitely buy one at £100, it would also ensure I went to the games that I had a little excuse not to go ie evening games, that I rarely attend.

I think it could possibly tempt arm chair United and city fans, if marketed properly I think it would be really successful, but no point doing it if they aren't going to tell anyone about it.

Fingers crossed the news is similar...

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Could this work? on 23:00 - Apr 3 with 1937 viewsdingdangblue

Could this work? on 22:52 - Apr 3 by rochedale

Never had a season ticket but would definitely buy one at £100, it would also ensure I went to the games that I had a little excuse not to go ie evening games, that I rarely attend.

I think it could possibly tempt arm chair United and city fans, if marketed properly I think it would be really successful, but no point doing it if they aren't going to tell anyone about it.

Fingers crossed the news is similar...

When Hartlepool did it there was so much media interest it almost marketed itself. The fact that we are talking about it on here proves what an impact it had.

Could this work? on 02:13 - Apr 4 with 1839 viewsShun

Is it the 18th of this month the club's exciting news is announced? It'd be interesting if it were something like this.
Could this work? on 06:50 - Apr 4 with 1795 viewsnordenblue

Could this work? on 20:36 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

Tbf you're using extremes with that comparison,use this season and our 2 biggest players be it one short term impact and one over the season are probably Holty and Hendo both of which I'd guess are our 2 biggest earners.

I appreciate what you say and yes massive wages don't ALWAYS equate to success,given Hillys track record you'd trust him with a large budget compared to most other managers in league 1 to bring promotion if given the resources.
Could this work? on 07:31 - Apr 4 with 1771 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 06:50 - Apr 4 by nordenblue

Tbf you're using extremes with that comparison,use this season and our 2 biggest players be it one short term impact and one over the season are probably Holty and Hendo both of which I'd guess are our 2 biggest earners.

I appreciate what you say and yes massive wages don't ALWAYS equate to success,given Hillys track record you'd trust him with a large budget compared to most other managers in league 1 to bring promotion if given the resources.

We had a great chance of pushing into the Play Offs last season but plenty of folk deemed it too early (108 years), like you can pick and choose! It was suggested establishing ourselves as a league one Club and growing our fan base, we haven't achieved those aims yet. In fact our fanbase is slowly dwindling and two seasons in the same league doesn't make you an established Club, more like 6 or 7 i think.

You fix the hole in the roof while the sun shines ( now), trying to attract extra supporters at any other time makes the task almost impossible. The upcoming announcement regarding Season Tickets is one I'm looking forward too because it will then reveal how serious the Club are when it comes to increasing the level of support ( we have financial wiggle room,there will never be a better time to take a gamble). It will show how pro- active they are regarding the problem. Soon our crowds will be on a level with Accrington Stanley, if we were playing at the same level I think we would now have smaller crowds, that's how serious this is.

If it's not what we think it is ( eye catching ST prices) then I suggest we just accept things are not going to change and stop carping on about it. I don't really understand why the Club are waiting so long to announce the prices, what's wrong with doing it this week and giving themselves and supporters more time to process and purchase the tickets. A survey of current Season Ticket holders would have made common sense regarding prices I would have thought, it wouldn't have done any harm and made the customer feel more inclusive in the Club. # footballpeople
[Post edited 4 Apr 2016 7:37]
Could this work? on 07:58 - Apr 4 with 1726 viewsColDale

I think there's a real danger of overhyping the 18th April announcement. Have no idea what the announcement will bring (tho I have a suspicion based purely on gut feeling) but it's almost inevitable that the feeling will be that the club haven't got far enough with whatever they are introducing, and as such a positive move by the club will be met with nothing but disappointment.

I do have my doubts at introducing the Hartlepool model for the simple reason that why hasn't it been copied by clubs up and down the country? I know football boards are traditionally conservative in outlook, but Hartlepool are a perfect example of a traditional club with traditional support so you'd assume that all the Division Three / Four teams that we grew up with would look upon Pools with thoughts of "Well if it can be successful there, it can be successful here". Well what if its not a success?

You can't overlook the fact that since its introduction, Hartlepool have gone from being a decent League One side into one that its fighting relegation to the Conference, and whilst there may be a million reasons behind such a slump, could it be that the price drop has led to a non competitive wage budget? Would we as supporters be satisfied with a bigger support with bigger community involvement if it led to relegation?
Could this work? on 08:08 - Apr 4 with 1703 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 07:58 - Apr 4 by ColDale

I think there's a real danger of overhyping the 18th April announcement. Have no idea what the announcement will bring (tho I have a suspicion based purely on gut feeling) but it's almost inevitable that the feeling will be that the club haven't got far enough with whatever they are introducing, and as such a positive move by the club will be met with nothing but disappointment.

I do have my doubts at introducing the Hartlepool model for the simple reason that why hasn't it been copied by clubs up and down the country? I know football boards are traditionally conservative in outlook, but Hartlepool are a perfect example of a traditional club with traditional support so you'd assume that all the Division Three / Four teams that we grew up with would look upon Pools with thoughts of "Well if it can be successful there, it can be successful here". Well what if its not a success?

You can't overlook the fact that since its introduction, Hartlepool have gone from being a decent League One side into one that its fighting relegation to the Conference, and whilst there may be a million reasons behind such a slump, could it be that the price drop has led to a non competitive wage budget? Would we as supporters be satisfied with a bigger support with bigger community involvement if it led to relegation?

Respect your opinion. Do you think the Club are doing enough to attract extra support in the town and if not what else do you think they could do if they decide not to make the football more affordable by substantially reducing Season Tickets?

The product on the pitch can't get much better so it's only off field action that's going to bring the supporters in. Anybody who thinks the price of Football isn't a factor is frankly living in cloud cuckoo land.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2016 8:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024