Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales v ROI 16:04 - Oct 6 with 15057 viewsjohncharles

Hello Brian ☺
We both need to win win today to set up.the big game. Good luck for today.

Strong and stable my arse.

Wales v ROI on 10:32 - Oct 10 with 2196 views18StoneOfHoop

Wales v ROI on 22:13 - Oct 9 by TW_R

Nothing against Wales, but thank f*ck for that! Not sure I could sit through another tournament where the BBC commentators shoot their load every time Bale crosses a ball into the box.

Ted Hendrix the chimp botherer will be happy.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Wales v ROI on 11:46 - Oct 10 with 2128 viewsbob566

Wales v ROI on 07:29 - Oct 10 by daveB

Nasty? really?

The other home nations will be saying a lot worse when England crash out in embarrassing style next summer as well supporting whoever we are playing, you've got to admit after all the hype about how wonderful Wales are, how their players celebrated England being knocked out it's quite funny to see them fail to qualify

Just genuinely shocked to see you post anything untowards against anybody. That's all. I'd say you're the most balanced reasoned poster on here. It took me back a bit. That's all and then somebody posted the vid of the welsh players celebrating and I got it straight away then.
Wales v ROI on 12:00 - Oct 10 with 2113 viewsjohncharles

Wales v ROI on 00:06 - Oct 10 by smegma

A case of schadenfreude tonight.

Is that German for penalties ?

Strong and stable my arse.

Wales v ROI on 12:27 - Oct 10 with 2068 viewsrobith

Welsh twitter seems to have gone into bitterness overdrive, making me enjoy it all the more.

And McLean getting the winner too, delicious
Wales v ROI on 12:31 - Oct 10 with 2066 viewsDaiHo0p

Personally I thought Ireland were lucky not to have a few 2 yellow Sending offs. :P
Wales v ROI on 13:08 - Oct 10 with 1999 viewsMonahoop

I'm surprised that Wales really didn't lift their game last night, such was the importance of the occasion and they were at home. There again they did show their limitations and prove that they are a one trick pony side without the likes of Bale in the squad. Ireland read the script, not pretty, they never are, but they got the job done. Expect more of the same from them in the play offs.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Wales v ROI on 13:12 - Oct 10 with 1991 viewsPhildo

McLean one of those players people love to hate but I would love to have him at QPR
Wales v ROI on 13:37 - Oct 10 with 1953 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Passes attempted: Wales 572 Ireland 209
Passes completed: Wales 502 Ireland 149

Embarrassing from Ireland.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Wales v ROI on 13:43 - Oct 10 with 1943 viewspaulparker

Wales v ROI on 13:37 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Passes attempted: Wales 572 Ireland 209
Passes completed: Wales 502 Ireland 149

Embarrassing from Ireland.

Wales 0 Ireland 1

that's what counts, Wales had one header and that's it , Ramsey was awful and kept diving he was their big game player supposedly , Ireland have "limited " players they defended well and shut them out good for them , wales are at home and they did nothing "cookie" coleman didn't have any idea how to change it ,
their bubble has burst , couldn't happen to a more smug bunch

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Wales v ROI on 13:56 - Oct 10 with 1919 viewsfrancisbowles

Wales v ROI on 09:17 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

It's your standard Sasanach-baiting fare, FB, you only have to learn the words after your 65th cap. Or hum along maybe? Welcome aboard, a chara.

Well I can already hum along so, as at my age and with my declined limited abilities I am unlikely to win 66 caps, I should be alright then. Lol
Wales v ROI on 13:57 - Oct 10 with 1914 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wales v ROI on 13:43 - Oct 10 by paulparker

Wales 0 Ireland 1

that's what counts, Wales had one header and that's it , Ramsey was awful and kept diving he was their big game player supposedly , Ireland have "limited " players they defended well and shut them out good for them , wales are at home and they did nothing "cookie" coleman didn't have any idea how to change it ,
their bubble has burst , couldn't happen to a more smug bunch

I think far more than the result counts, that's why I love Rangers and not Chelsea.

I think there's art, there's flair, there's entertainment, there's a higher standard to which you must aspire. There's coaching your own players as a Nation. There's setting your own standards about who can play for you and who should play for you. There's representing yourselves abroad by the style of play we exhibit. There's saying "This is us".

Or, y'know, there's allowing any fuggwit to play for you when his own crowd won't have him and decades of punting the fugging ball down the pitch and calling beating an injury-weakened Wales team with 28% possession and two shots on goal heroic.

Wales v ROI on 14:00 - Oct 10 with 1903 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wales v ROI on 13:56 - Oct 10 by francisbowles

Well I can already hum along so, as at my age and with my declined limited abilities I am unlikely to win 66 caps, I should be alright then. Lol

In fairness the lyrics are poetic and scholarly enough as you'd imagine given that they were written by Brendan Behan's uncle. But they're about war and very dated now.

Maybe Jedward would write something for us?

Wales v ROI on 14:04 - Oct 10 with 1896 viewsfrancisbowles

Wales v ROI on 13:57 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I think far more than the result counts, that's why I love Rangers and not Chelsea.

I think there's art, there's flair, there's entertainment, there's a higher standard to which you must aspire. There's coaching your own players as a Nation. There's setting your own standards about who can play for you and who should play for you. There's representing yourselves abroad by the style of play we exhibit. There's saying "This is us".

Or, y'know, there's allowing any fuggwit to play for you when his own crowd won't have him and decades of punting the fugging ball down the pitch and calling beating an injury-weakened Wales team with 28% possession and two shots on goal heroic.

Very honest of you Brian to be so self critical of the Irish team and tactics but do you remember how it was before 'Big Jack'?
Wales v ROI on 14:11 - Oct 10 with 1884 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wales v ROI on 14:04 - Oct 10 by francisbowles

Very honest of you Brian to be so self critical of the Irish team and tactics but do you remember how it was before 'Big Jack'?

Ya, I do, FB. I remember us playing lovely football under first Johnny Giles and then Eoin Hand. We were very unlucky not to make it to couple of tournaments when it was much harder to do so. We played the game properly then. Mind you we were still prone to picking up stray footballers who knew next to nothing about us, Terry Mancini being the classic example.

Wales v ROI on 14:19 - Oct 10 with 1859 viewsfrancisbowles

Wales v ROI on 14:11 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, I do, FB. I remember us playing lovely football under first Johnny Giles and then Eoin Hand. We were very unlucky not to make it to couple of tournaments when it was much harder to do so. We played the game properly then. Mind you we were still prone to picking up stray footballers who knew next to nothing about us, Terry Mancini being the classic example.

Yes fair play under Giles was close but no cigar, playing at the home of Bohemians? in front of how many?

What do you mean about 'our Henry'. He was responsible for kick starting your team spirit, specially recommended by your lookalike!

I went into the Golden Gloves after a match one night, probably after one of our 1976-77 Uefa cup games, and there was TM serving behind the bar, which of course was owned by the family. I think he must have still been a pro then as well!
Wales v ROI on 14:28 - Oct 10 with 1848 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wales v ROI on 14:19 - Oct 10 by francisbowles

Yes fair play under Giles was close but no cigar, playing at the home of Bohemians? in front of how many?

What do you mean about 'our Henry'. He was responsible for kick starting your team spirit, specially recommended by your lookalike!

I went into the Golden Gloves after a match one night, probably after one of our 1976-77 Uefa cup games, and there was TM serving behind the bar, which of course was owned by the family. I think he must have still been a pro then as well!

Well, as the years go by those old crowds get bigger. Must look that up. Used to be decent crowds always, to be fair.

Wales v ROI on 15:58 - Oct 10 with 1777 viewsBoston

Wales v ROI on 09:04 - Oct 10 by CamberleyR

"Yes,every friendly, seven matches in total, have gone Englands way"

You must've forgotten this embarrassment Bos....

Competitive (well semi), game though Cambers.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Wales v ROI on 15:59 - Oct 10 with 1777 viewsrobith

5/21 players in the squad last night were not born on the island of Ireland, so hardly any old fugger.

I'd also be desperately disappointed if I was to play for Ireland and I was to be called names because my parents didn't have the economic fortune to be able to stay in Ireland.

My wife volunteers with the Irish Abortion Rights campaigns and through that she's met a lot of second generation Irishers who get dogs abuse because they're not white, ergo they can't be deemed "proper" Irish. Not saying that's what you're doing Brian, but I think conversations about "Irishness" stray a bit too close to blood and soil for my liking.

I'd love Ireland to play flowing football, but our best player is Wes Hoolahan. You work with what you've got to maximise its impact. No fan of O'Neill's football but he absolutely did a number on Wales last night. They've struggled against compact teams all qualifying and he read them like a book
Wales v ROI on 16:14 - Oct 10 with 1752 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wales v ROI on 15:59 - Oct 10 by robith

5/21 players in the squad last night were not born on the island of Ireland, so hardly any old fugger.

I'd also be desperately disappointed if I was to play for Ireland and I was to be called names because my parents didn't have the economic fortune to be able to stay in Ireland.

My wife volunteers with the Irish Abortion Rights campaigns and through that she's met a lot of second generation Irishers who get dogs abuse because they're not white, ergo they can't be deemed "proper" Irish. Not saying that's what you're doing Brian, but I think conversations about "Irishness" stray a bit too close to blood and soil for my liking.

I'd love Ireland to play flowing football, but our best player is Wes Hoolahan. You work with what you've got to maximise its impact. No fan of O'Neill's football but he absolutely did a number on Wales last night. They've struggled against compact teams all qualifying and he read them like a book

I'm certainly not doing that as I was born in England and so was my brother, my Goddaughter and two nieces. My sister was adopted and most of my family are delighted in having two Nationalities and proud to be associated with both Nations. I know that Irishness is fluid and is not linked to colour, ethnicity or place of birth ("Jesus was born in a stable, you wouldn't call him a horse" as my brother says!).

What I am doing is pointing out our history of giving caps to people who don't know our National Anthem, previously played for another Nation, didn't realise they even qualified to play for Ireland or any mixture of the above plus other weird and wonderful stories.

Foe every Paul McGrath or Dave O'Leary (both born abroad but clearly Irish) there's a Ray Houghton or a Mark Lawrenson (who clearly picked us when their first option didn't materialise). For every Kevin Kilbane there's an embarrassing flirtation with a Jack Grealish. We're no-one's consolation prize. It's demeaning, and should be beneath us.

O' Neill has played the same cave football against every team. We had about 150 passes against Georgia, too. My point is broader, though - this has been going on for decades. Surely part of the reason that Wes is our best player is because we keep picking managers that distrust players like Wes. We're never going to have twenty players like him because good young Irish players and their coaches are told by the FA and the National Managers that slogboggery like last night is preferable to actual football.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2017 16:25]

Wales v ROI on 16:35 - Oct 10 with 1722 viewsrobith

Wales v ROI on 16:14 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm certainly not doing that as I was born in England and so was my brother, my Goddaughter and two nieces. My sister was adopted and most of my family are delighted in having two Nationalities and proud to be associated with both Nations. I know that Irishness is fluid and is not linked to colour, ethnicity or place of birth ("Jesus was born in a stable, you wouldn't call him a horse" as my brother says!).

What I am doing is pointing out our history of giving caps to people who don't know our National Anthem, previously played for another Nation, didn't realise they even qualified to play for Ireland or any mixture of the above plus other weird and wonderful stories.

Foe every Paul McGrath or Dave O'Leary (both born abroad but clearly Irish) there's a Ray Houghton or a Mark Lawrenson (who clearly picked us when their first option didn't materialise). For every Kevin Kilbane there's an embarrassing flirtation with a Jack Grealish. We're no-one's consolation prize. It's demeaning, and should be beneath us.

O' Neill has played the same cave football against every team. We had about 150 passes against Georgia, too. My point is broader, though - this has been going on for decades. Surely part of the reason that Wes is our best player is because we keep picking managers that distrust players like Wes. We're never going to have twenty players like him because good young Irish players and their coaches are told by the FA and the National Managers that slogboggery like last night is preferable to actual football.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2017 16:25]

Sorry Brian, even as I was writing it I kept editing it thinking "how do I not make it sound like I'm saying he's doing this" - so clearly I failed. My intent was not to say that it was, but conversations about Irishness (you sound fortunate, being called a black and tan by some great uncle you've met once made me very glad my mum and dad mostly kept to themselves) make me itchy.

Lawrenson, yuck. I know you dislike him but at least Mick McCarthy still calls Ireland "We/us" and doesn't cheerlead for England on the national broadcaster.

I guess it's perception - I think there has been a much greater focus on prioritising Irish players these days - last night non Irish born made up 23% of the squad so if people aren't singing the soldier's song then I suspect the culprits are little closer to home (I like it, but the fact that it was written in English and translated into Irish means I find the words don't often flow very well and it becomes a right mouthful).

Interesting thing I just looked up from the latest sport Ireland figures is that participation in football has dropped alarmingly from 2011 to 2015, with no real increase in other sports. I think there's an issue because the domestic game is small and quite weak players don't get the technical coaching early enough imo
Wales v ROI on 16:50 - Oct 10 with 1706 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wales v ROI on 16:35 - Oct 10 by robith

Sorry Brian, even as I was writing it I kept editing it thinking "how do I not make it sound like I'm saying he's doing this" - so clearly I failed. My intent was not to say that it was, but conversations about Irishness (you sound fortunate, being called a black and tan by some great uncle you've met once made me very glad my mum and dad mostly kept to themselves) make me itchy.

Lawrenson, yuck. I know you dislike him but at least Mick McCarthy still calls Ireland "We/us" and doesn't cheerlead for England on the national broadcaster.

I guess it's perception - I think there has been a much greater focus on prioritising Irish players these days - last night non Irish born made up 23% of the squad so if people aren't singing the soldier's song then I suspect the culprits are little closer to home (I like it, but the fact that it was written in English and translated into Irish means I find the words don't often flow very well and it becomes a right mouthful).

Interesting thing I just looked up from the latest sport Ireland figures is that participation in football has dropped alarmingly from 2011 to 2015, with no real increase in other sports. I think there's an issue because the domestic game is small and quite weak players don't get the technical coaching early enough imo

No bother at all, Robith!

Agree about Mick McCarthy - he's definitely Irish now. I remember a curious story about him - when he became Ireland manager he got a video done up for him and the players of the National Anthem with phonetic subtitles so they could all learn it, him included. He was very proud of this. The strange thing was that he hadn't bothered while collecting 57 International Caps! Still, at least he was learning, I suppose.

You're right, too, that it's not just those born abroad. Am I right in thinking Robbie Keane usen't to sing it? I genuinely can't remember now? I know it seems like I'm fixating on this, and I'm half-laughing at myself, but there is a basic respect issue as well, I feel.

Didn't know that about the figures dropping off. Interesting. I'm beginning to learn more about it as my Godson and his brother play youths with Shelbourne. I think the coaching there getting is very good to my untutored eye and the skills, movement and tactical awareness make for very enjoyable games, but I worry that pretty soon they'll be playing rudimentary, physical nonsense. For instance, my Godson plays Under-13 and they're already on full-size pitches with no rotation of subs or positions and the average touches per game have crashed. So I fear your point is correct.

Wales v ROI on 16:52 - Oct 10 with 1700 viewsPhildo

Wales v ROI on 16:35 - Oct 10 by robith

McCarthy was someone from a strong Irish background- I met his parents a long time ago and he was proud of his Irishness and his dad was very proud when he got the Ireland job. Roy Keanes BS in Saipan at McCarthy was very unfair although he was right about the FAI.

I got the impression in Ireland this summer that GAA has never been bigger particularly with kids participation? A mate in Corks Kid plays GAA and football and he reports there are far more coaches and facilities in one rather than the foreign game ;) - I could not help but notice all the kids were wearing county tracksuits rather than football tops?
Wales v ROI on 17:27 - Oct 10 with 1661 viewsOldPedro

Well said Brian - if it was only about the result, everyone would be supporting Chelsea, Man Utd etc and continually changing their support every few weeks based on results.

I agree with you on last nights game and as a Welshman, I'm disappointed that we didn't win but in fairness we should have won earlier games againts Georgia (home) and Austria (away) which would have made last night irrelevent.

Good luck in the playoffs

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Wales v ROI on 17:41 - Oct 10 with 1646 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wales v ROI on 17:27 - Oct 10 by OldPedro

Well said Brian - if it was only about the result, everyone would be supporting Chelsea, Man Utd etc and continually changing their support every few weeks based on results.

I agree with you on last nights game and as a Welshman, I'm disappointed that we didn't win but in fairness we should have won earlier games againts Georgia (home) and Austria (away) which would have made last night irrelevent.

Good luck in the playoffs

Thanks OldPedro. Hard luck last night, seriously hard luck.

Wales v ROI on 17:44 - Oct 10 with 1642 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wales v ROI on 16:52 - Oct 10 by Phildo

McCarthy was someone from a strong Irish background- I met his parents a long time ago and he was proud of his Irishness and his dad was very proud when he got the Ireland job. Roy Keanes BS in Saipan at McCarthy was very unfair although he was right about the FAI.

I got the impression in Ireland this summer that GAA has never been bigger particularly with kids participation? A mate in Corks Kid plays GAA and football and he reports there are far more coaches and facilities in one rather than the foreign game ;) - I could not help but notice all the kids were wearing county tracksuits rather than football tops?

Good to hear that about McCarthy, Phildo.

Hard to get a feel of GAA's popularity Nationwide. Here in Cork we've had a good enough year by our recent standards so the kids are out in their tracksuits and GAA gear. Great to see.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024