Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Closing stands for certain games 14:02 - Oct 24 with 12912 viewsRAFCBLUE

In choosing to close just the Pearl Street, for the home game against Bromley I think we have missed a trick.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2017/october/fa-cup-bromley_confirmed/

I don't understand why in expecting a crowd of 2,000 and only closing that stand makes sense.

Surely the logical answer was to close both the Pearl Street and the Sandy Lane stand and get all Dale fans either in the Main Stand or the Willbutts?

Since when does it apply that opening 3 stands that will be not full be more cost effective than opening 2 stands that will not be full?

We're told the Willbutts gives the best view in the ground, so why not give opportunity to watch.

The seating pattern of the Pearl Street cand be replicated and spare seats sold as needed. Bromley will only bring say 500 maximum - easily contained in one block of the Willbutts Lane/Pearl Street corner with the turnstiles there.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Closing stands for certain games on 10:39 - Oct 28 with 3813 viewsD_Alien

Closing stands for certain games on 18:32 - Oct 24 by rochdaleriddler

I guess the pearl streeters will have a preference for their stand, as will sandy laners. Maybe we should all be thrown in the willbutts, away fans as well. The boxes could remain open.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Closing stands for certain games on 13:03 - Oct 28 with 3695 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Closing stands for certain games on 18:58 - Oct 26 by Yorkshire_Dale

Too true......why are we expecting a low crowd?......The game is played on Saturday at 1500hrs not midnight......why would all our season ticket holders NOT turn out?

Promote the game...."Magic of the FA Cup" and all that. Yes,Bromley will not bring many, so what?

Agree it has more appeal than Gillingham we should be up for a good game,a good result and a bit of cash incentive.

The club is expecting a low turnout, so they don`t have to get off their backsides and promote the FA cup within the borough. If they can`t be bothered to change the fixture board at the corner of Willbutts Lane, then they certainly won`t want to get out and about promoting the most famous cup competition in the world. Football fans outside of the Rochdale family won`t be aware there is a game, never mind at a very affordable price. Schools should have been canvassed to death for the last two weeks, as mithering kids are the best way to sell such games, especially ones who have never graced our stadium. With no expectation, the clubs media and commercial departments have saved themselves from hard work. While the playing side of the club is extremely professional, it makes the rest of the club look tinpot, on a par with the "refurbished" urinals in the Sandy.
Closing stands for certain games on 15:13 - Oct 28 with 3579 viewsKenBoon

This closing of the home stand with most accessible facilities seems a little regressive. Especially considering the drama already this season with Sandy Lane patrons not being able to get into the Bar. If all home support is confined to the two stands then there's bound to be complaints. Meanwhile, a superior stand on the opposite stand has an empty bar.

I personally love a good terrace but the Sandy isn't good and certainly isn't child-friendly with poor views. One of the best things the club have done recently is the kid's entertainment in Studds before the game. I'd have thought the FA Cup would be the perfect opportunity to get younger fans into the ground and experience that FA cup feeling that the FA and their sponsors always go on about. But a decision has been made to close the family area.

This decision devalues the competition. Will it save a few £ for that weekend? Maybe. But the damage to the FA Cup and RAFC will be done longterm. Just look at the FLT and FLC. How many fans start the season looking forward to the Carabao Cup draw or thinking about a giant killing in the later rounds? Playing down "the magic of the cup" helps to kill the draw of cup ties for the future. The FA Cup has been good to us in previous seasons too and deserves more respect.
Closing stands for certain games on 15:25 - Oct 28 with 3572 viewsNinco

Closing stands for certain games on 20:52 - Oct 24 by Dalenet

Club have an issue whatever they do. But historically season ticket holders could be first to get their usual seat. One of the benefits of being a ticket holder. Most won't get theit seat for this game. Why couldn't they agree a deal with Bromley on Friday and sell to season ticket holders on Saturday after the Bristol game?

I'm not sure ST holders will get their usual seat, as I booked mine online and although it let me choose my seat, after choosing it, there was a message on the screen which said seating for this fixture is unreserved. Unless you are first in, you could find someone sat in your usual seat.
Closing stands for certain games on 17:50 - Oct 28 with 3475 viewsrochdaleriddler

Having no bar open after the game will cost Dale money

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Closing stands for certain games on 22:05 - Oct 28 with 3407 viewsjohnn

Suppose I have been lucky,able to get my own seat in the main stand by being retired and able to purchase on the first day of sale.However in previous years season ticket holders have always had a period of time when they were guaranteed their own seats for a period of time and THEN they went on open sale,what has happened to this now,no thought for season ticket holders,the situation stinks .Season ticket holders have no privelidges and are not even thought about and this is supposed to be team Rochdale !!!!
Closing stands for certain games on 00:52 - Oct 29 with 3348 viewsrobtheb

Closing stands for certain games on 15:25 - Oct 28 by Ninco

I'm not sure ST holders will get their usual seat, as I booked mine online and although it let me choose my seat, after choosing it, there was a message on the screen which said seating for this fixture is unreserved. Unless you are first in, you could find someone sat in your usual seat.

I went to the stadium to get my ticket on the first day they went on sale. Got the seat I normally have with my season ticket. The seat number is printed on the ticket.
As far as I am aware all tickets will have a seat number on them.
Closing stands for certain games on 08:38 - Oct 29 with 3271 views442Dale

Closing stands for certain games on 22:05 - Oct 28 by johnn

Suppose I have been lucky,able to get my own seat in the main stand by being retired and able to purchase on the first day of sale.However in previous years season ticket holders have always had a period of time when they were guaranteed their own seats for a period of time and THEN they went on open sale,what has happened to this now,no thought for season ticket holders,the situation stinks .Season ticket holders have no privelidges and are not even thought about and this is supposed to be team Rochdale !!!!

Lack of consistent and transparent process. This has been the failing around ticket sales for years.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Closing stands for certain games on 08:47 - Oct 29 with 3262 viewsTVOS1907

Closing stands for certain games on 22:05 - Oct 28 by johnn

While I agree with some of your points, I think the limited time between knowing when the game would be played and it actually taking place might have had some bearing on what you've experienced.

Unfortunately the FA didn't confirm all the dates until last Friday.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Closing stands for certain games on 10:54 - Oct 29 with 3196 viewspioneer

Closing stands for certain games on 08:47 - Oct 29 by TVOS1907

While I agree with some of your points, I think the limited time between knowing when the game would be played and it actually taking place might have had some bearing on what you've experienced.

Unfortunately the FA didn't confirm all the dates until last Friday.

It would be interesting to know if other clubs drawn at home in round one have been unable or unwilling to give season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase their normal seat before putting tickets on open sale.
Closing stands for certain games on 12:19 - Oct 29 with 3142 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Closing stands for certain games on 13:03 - Oct 28 by RooleyMoorBlue

The club is expecting a low turnout, so they don`t have to get off their backsides and promote the FA cup within the borough. If they can`t be bothered to change the fixture board at the corner of Willbutts Lane, then they certainly won`t want to get out and about promoting the most famous cup competition in the world. Football fans outside of the Rochdale family won`t be aware there is a game, never mind at a very affordable price. Schools should have been canvassed to death for the last two weeks, as mithering kids are the best way to sell such games, especially ones who have never graced our stadium. With no expectation, the clubs media and commercial departments have saved themselves from hard work. While the playing side of the club is extremely professional, it makes the rest of the club look tinpot, on a par with the "refurbished" urinals in the Sandy.

Good post RMB........you're kidding about the urinals in the Sandy being "refurbed"?

I think the "NUFC for ever" graffitii is still evident in trap one bog? When did we last play Newcastle?

And the splash tray still not draining because it's no fall.......and the "Gents" sign on the door has been done with a permanent marker pen, probably 15 years ago? Needs re-doing though,it's starting to fade like the paintwork.

Come on Dale splash some cash. Tinpottery at it's best.....love it.
Closing stands for certain games on 12:39 - Oct 29 with 3123 viewsTVOS1907

Closing stands for certain games on 10:54 - Oct 29 by pioneer

It would be interesting to know if other clubs drawn at home in round one have been unable or unwilling to give season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase their normal seat before putting tickets on open sale.

It would, although by saying 'might' I was purely speculating and trying to understand why such decisions were made.

Closing stands for certain games on 13:20 - Oct 29 with 3073 views442Dale

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2017/october/fa-cup-update_willbutts-lane/

Willbutts open for home fans. Well done to the Trust/supporters and ultimately the club for working to find a solution, hopefully this will lead to a plan being in place for various scenarios in the future.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Closing stands for certain games on 14:20 - Oct 29 with 3017 viewsfitzochris

Closing stands for certain games on 13:20 - Oct 29 by 442Dale

Willbutts open for home fans. Well done to the Trust/supporters and ultimately the club for working to find a solution, hopefully this will lead to a plan being in place for various scenarios in the future.

Hopefully the club will allow those who purchased tickets for the Main Stand, based on the decision at the time, to transfer them.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Closing stands for certain games on 14:37 - Oct 29 with 2984 viewsfunkkk

Another PR own goal from beginning to end! If the club wanted to save money we should have just had the Willbutts open, maybe we’d have had a bit of atmosphere too.
Closing stands for certain games on 20:49 - Oct 29 with 2822 viewsRAFCBLUE

Closing stands for certain games on 14:37 - Oct 29 by funkkk

Another PR own goal from beginning to end! If the club wanted to save money we should have just had the Willbutts open, maybe we’d have had a bit of atmosphere too.

I've got to agree with you funkkk.

The OP I wrote, on 24 October, questioned the economic arguement of shutting one stand but leaving three open in the circumstances where that stand I thought is the most popular of the three stands available for home fans.

It's a complete and utter shambles when people backtrack on their original arguement and at the same time anger a good number of home support in the Pearl Street.

There's a couple of observations I have on this (admittedly from afar):

1. For games of a certain expected home low attendance (Bromley at home, Checkatrade games and relevant Tuesday night games), the econonical answer is to close both Pearl Street and Sandy Lane and offer just the Wilbutts and Main Stand. Segregating the Willbutts appropriately can lead to a sensible accomodation of away supporters in those away game.

2. Is this new safety officer causing more problems than they are solving?
So far since their appointment in the close season, there has been an issue with access to the Radcliffe bar at half time for Main Stand/Sandy Lane supporters , the half empty Main Stand for home games but no cash turnstile due to capacity issus and now this Bromley issue. We have, for years, been a safe and compliant ground and been able to do that in a way that doesn't make us look like amateurs and doesn't alienate a core home support. This is the third issue of this new safety officer's involvement and we are not yet at the end of October.

3. Why is the club shooting themselves in the foot with regards to an announcement, followed by a furore, followed by a second announcement which is inevitably a climbdown or chance of approach? I like the Trust being involved (and I am a member) but their approach to the club should only be, IMO, for matters so serious that they feel appealing to those in control is neccesary or on an arms length basis engaging to support the widest best interests of supporters and involvement. At best, they are pointing out the obvious flaws in club plans, when those at the club must have thought them through before making an annoucement and at worst, the club may feel that the Trust is shooting holes in the delivery of what they are doing. Like point 2) this the third time that I can think of that the Trust have had to become involved in something.

We believe that we are in the top 70 football clubs in the UK but we still struggle with the basic elements of certain things that upset a proportion of the fanbase.

I'm certain this isn't deliberate but there are lots of lessons to learn and lots of things that must get better.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Closing stands for certain games on 21:45 - Oct 29 with 2774 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closing stands for certain games on 20:49 - Oct 29 by RAFCBLUE

I've got to agree with you funkkk.

The OP I wrote, on 24 October, questioned the economic arguement of shutting one stand but leaving three open in the circumstances where that stand I thought is the most popular of the three stands available for home fans.

It's a complete and utter shambles when people backtrack on their original arguement and at the same time anger a good number of home support in the Pearl Street.

There's a couple of observations I have on this (admittedly from afar):

1. For games of a certain expected home low attendance (Bromley at home, Checkatrade games and relevant Tuesday night games), the econonical answer is to close both Pearl Street and Sandy Lane and offer just the Wilbutts and Main Stand. Segregating the Willbutts appropriately can lead to a sensible accomodation of away supporters in those away game.

2. Is this new safety officer causing more problems than they are solving?
So far since their appointment in the close season, there has been an issue with access to the Radcliffe bar at half time for Main Stand/Sandy Lane supporters , the half empty Main Stand for home games but no cash turnstile due to capacity issus and now this Bromley issue. We have, for years, been a safe and compliant ground and been able to do that in a way that doesn't make us look like amateurs and doesn't alienate a core home support. This is the third issue of this new safety officer's involvement and we are not yet at the end of October.

3. Why is the club shooting themselves in the foot with regards to an announcement, followed by a furore, followed by a second announcement which is inevitably a climbdown or chance of approach? I like the Trust being involved (and I am a member) but their approach to the club should only be, IMO, for matters so serious that they feel appealing to those in control is neccesary or on an arms length basis engaging to support the widest best interests of supporters and involvement. At best, they are pointing out the obvious flaws in club plans, when those at the club must have thought them through before making an annoucement and at worst, the club may feel that the Trust is shooting holes in the delivery of what they are doing. Like point 2) this the third time that I can think of that the Trust have had to become involved in something.

We believe that we are in the top 70 football clubs in the UK but we still struggle with the basic elements of certain things that upset a proportion of the fanbase.

I'm certain this isn't deliberate but there are lots of lessons to learn and lots of things that must get better.

Bang on

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Closing stands for certain games on 12:25 - Oct 30 with 2663 viewsonedalefan

Closing stands for certain games on 13:20 - Oct 29 by 442Dale

Any idea how many seats are going to be made available for home supporters? How many does each seating section hold?
Closing stands for certain games on 20:46 - Oct 30 with 2538 viewsTVOS1907

Closing stands for certain games on 12:25 - Oct 30 by onedalefan

Any idea how many seats are going to be made available for home supporters? How many does each seating section hold?

More than we'll need, I would imagine.

Closing stands for certain games on 03:10 - Oct 31 with 2424 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Closing stands for certain games on 12:19 - Oct 29 by Yorkshire_Dale

Good post RMB........you're kidding about the urinals in the Sandy being "refurbed"?

I think the "NUFC for ever" graffitii is still evident in trap one bog? When did we last play Newcastle?

And the splash tray still not draining because it's no fall.......and the "Gents" sign on the door has been done with a permanent marker pen, probably 15 years ago? Needs re-doing though,it's starting to fade like the paintwork.

Come on Dale splash some cash. Tinpottery at it's best.....love it.

More tinpottery on the official site. Since when does November have 31 days as the youth match is advertised for Tuesday Nov 31st. I know anyone can make a mistake but for crying out loud, its something you learn in primary school. At least the club listened to fans regarding the Wilbutts opening for home fans, but when the game will be advertised for is anyones guess.
Closing stands for certain games on 07:53 - Oct 31 with 2363 viewsBartRowou

Closing stands for certain games on 03:10 - Oct 31 by RooleyMoorBlue

More tinpottery on the official site. Since when does November have 31 days as the youth match is advertised for Tuesday Nov 31st. I know anyone can make a mistake but for crying out loud, its something you learn in primary school. At least the club listened to fans regarding the Wilbutts opening for home fans, but when the game will be advertised for is anyones guess.

If it's a knuckle, it's 31.

[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 7:54]

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Closing stands for certain games on 09:33 - Oct 31 with 2310 viewsrochdaleriddler

Closing stands for certain games on 07:53 - Oct 31 by BartRowou

If it's a knuckle, it's 31.

[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 7:54]

Brilliant, saves going through the 30 days have September April June and November etc

Closing stands for certain games on 10:52 - Nov 4 with 2064 viewsaleanddale

It is reserved seating in the main stand today?

Unreserved in wilbuts?

What section of wilbuts open no good stuck in a corner we need to be able to get to the halfway line.
Closing stands for certain games on 11:01 - Nov 4 with 2050 viewsTVOS1907

Closing stands for certain games on 10:52 - Nov 4 by aleanddale

It is reserved seating in the main stand today?

Unreserved in wilbuts?

What section of wilbuts open no good stuck in a corner we need to be able to get to the halfway line.

They will have already sold tickets to Bromley fans before announcing Dale fans could go in there. I imagine they are in the corner where away fans usually go.

How many Dale fans are you expecting in Willbutts?

Closing stands for certain games on 11:11 - Nov 4 with 2034 viewsDaleiLama

Looks like segregation at 1/2 way line and Dale fans closest to Pearl St?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024