Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best British Films 19:47 - Sep 8 with 20484 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've been binging on British cinema these last couple of weeks, re-watching old favourites and catching up on a couple that I'd always meant to get to but never quite managed to.

What's everybody's favourites? I'll throw mine in later on, but for now I don't want to lead the witness, y'r honour.

I'll be bookmarking this thread and adding to it occasionally.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best British Films on 16:00 - Sep 15 with 2840 viewscolinallcars

Best British Films on 12:45 - Sep 15 by dannyblue

I saw this the other day. Great menacing set up. Silly denouement as so often. Well worth a watch.

As the delicious Susan George was in her prime when Straw Dogs was made, I was looking forward to the Bluray release. Sadly, it's a poor transfer. The normal DVD looks better.
Best British Films on 16:19 - Sep 15 with 2822 viewsjohncharles

Best British Films on 08:18 - Sep 15 by loftboy

Just found out that full metal jacket had all its Vietnam scenes filmed st Beckton Gasworks and the training camp was in Epping Forest so does that count?

Starring Nigel Spackman

Strong and stable my arse.

Best British Films on 17:01 - Sep 15 with 2799 viewsitsbiga

Best British Films on 08:43 - Sep 15 by flynnbo

Eden Lake had some horrific scenes in it.

Nasty film that was

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Best British Films on 18:43 - Sep 15 with 2745 viewsdannyblue

Best British Films on 16:00 - Sep 15 by colinallcars

As the delicious Susan George was in her prime when Straw Dogs was made, I was looking forward to the Bluray release. Sadly, it's a poor transfer. The normal DVD looks better.

I have to confess she did look good in that jumper.
Best British Films on 18:43 - Sep 15 with 2745 viewsHadders

Wonderland is pretty depressing but brilliant, capturing the alienation of London life like no other film I know. Incidentally, it has wonderfully atmospheric music by fellow Ranger Michael Nyman too, and the best (albeit short) scene at a football match I've seen.

[Post edited 15 Sep 2018 18:44]
Best British Films on 19:53 - Sep 15 with 2685 viewsloftboy

Best British Films on 16:19 - Sep 15 by johncharles

Starring Nigel Spackman

I take it that it has been mentioned already!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best British Films on 09:34 - Sep 16 with 2620 viewsDannyPaddox

Was going to post this last week. I'm sure I've mentioned the film before in a similar thread. One of the best British films in this young century (along with Under The Skin). RIP Dudley Sutton. A fine actor.

Best British Films on 10:46 - Sep 16 with 2596 viewsflynnbo

Anyone seen My Generation yet with Michael Caine? Not with him but I mean starring in it! Have the dvd but not yet viewed it.
Login to get fewer ads

Best British Films on 11:08 - Sep 16 with 2577 viewsTacticalR

Best British Films on 10:46 - Sep 16 by flynnbo

Anyone seen My Generation yet with Michael Caine? Not with him but I mean starring in it! Have the dvd but not yet viewed it.

I think I'm allergic to Michael Caine. As far as I'm concerned he's been telephoning it in for thirty years. This is from a review of 'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island':

'Michael Caine grins like a man who just got an enormous pay cheque for being avuncular and pretending to sit on the back of a giant bumble bee. As he once said of Jaws: The Revenge: "I haven't seen it, but I've seen the house that it built."'

Mark Kermode's DVD round-up
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/may/27/artist-carancho-chronicle-kermode-d

Air hostess clique

Best British Films on 11:33 - Sep 16 with 2556 views18StoneOfHoop

Best British Films on 11:08 - Sep 16 by TacticalR

I think I'm allergic to Michael Caine. As far as I'm concerned he's been telephoning it in for thirty years. This is from a review of 'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island':

'Michael Caine grins like a man who just got an enormous pay cheque for being avuncular and pretending to sit on the back of a giant bumble bee. As he once said of Jaws: The Revenge: "I haven't seen it, but I've seen the house that it built."'

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/may/27/artist-carancho-chronicle-kermode-d

Whether phoned in or just for the readies,
agreed Tactical he's been distinctly ordinary in a lot of crap.
Yet here in 2003 he's rightly Oscar nominated - his last good perf maybe?

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Best British Films on 11:55 - Sep 16 with 2538 viewsDannyPaddox

Best British Films on 11:08 - Sep 16 by TacticalR

Haha I totally get the Michael Caine telephoning it in comment. But I do remember seeing him in an adaptation of Graham Greene's The Quiet American a few years back and he was superb. Has anyone mentioned Pulp in which he plays a young Jarvis Cocker*

*Ok he doesn't play Jarvis but this is a great film. Mike Hodges, same writer director as Get Carter and up there with it.

Edit: Just read your post 18 stone. Snap with the Quiet American. Love the Coogan/ Brydon clip. Hilarious. Let me fcuking finish!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2018 12:04]
Best British Films on 12:35 - Sep 16 with 2509 viewsRangersw12

Four Lions
Best British Films on 14:23 - Sep 16 with 2479 viewsShotKneesHoop

Top Ten British Comedy Films -

1.Kinds Hearts and Coronets" Alec Guinness's greatest film. "I shot an arrow in the air, she fell to earth in Berkley Square Top Script and acting -" While I never admired Edith as much as when I was with Sibella , I never longed for Sibella as much as when I was with Edith.

2. "The Ladykillers" - Another Alec Guinness classic "Well, get her to write a note, you know. "I just couldn't stand it no more. Signed, Mrs. Wilberforce." And then somebody goes down and hangs her. Hmm?

3. "The Wrong Arm Of The Law" Peter Sellars , Lionel Jeffries "I'll get 'em Sir, don't you worry about that"

4 "Two Way Stretch" - More Peter Sellers, Lionel Jeffries "I know its a baby and you've been inside here for two years so far ...... but you wrote me some very passionate letters"

5,"A Shot In The Dark" even more Sellers "Give me ten men like Clouseau and I could destroy the world.

6. "Life If Brian" "He's a very naughty boy"

7. "Withnail and I" "I mean to have you, even if it's burglary"

8. "School For Scoundrels: The great Alistair Sim and Terry Thomas "Hard cheese old boy!"

9. "I'm alright Jack" - Sellers, Terry Thomas, Liz Fraser. "The workers are a shower, an absolute shower"

10. "Rita, Sue and Bob Too" - ""When we have sex, it feels like shagging a bag of spuds - you lay there like a bit of wet rag

You could mix them all up but I'd still have "Kinds Hearts" as the best one.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2018 22:43]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Best British Films on 20:17 - Sep 16 with 2419 viewsPunteR

The Descent, Eastern Promises, good films.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Best British Films on 21:35 - Sep 16 with 2390 viewsMrSheen

Best British Films on 09:34 - Sep 16 by DannyPaddox

Was going to post this last week. I'm sure I've mentioned the film before in a similar thread. One of the best British films in this young century (along with Under The Skin). RIP Dudley Sutton. A fine actor.

Dudley Sutton is celebrated in his own thread, but in this one it is worth mentioning his performance in Ken Russell’s The Devils. Almost impossible to find now but bizarrely unforgettable. As well as Dudley Sutton, there’s Oliver Reed, Vanessa Redgrave (as a hunchback deranged Mother Superior), George from George & Mildred as a torturer for the Inquisition and Bridget Jones’s Mum in her glorious youth. Ken Russell, generally way over the top, often grossly offensive, never boring (Women in Love, the Music Lovers, Altered States, the Lair of the White Worm, etc).
Best British Films on 03:10 - Sep 17 with 2330 viewsitsbiga

If Ken Russell is up then Tommy is a belter :)

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Best British Films on 10:02 - Sep 17 with 2288 viewsqprxtc

Night of the Demon (1957)
Dead of Night (1945)
Death Line (1972)

Three British horror films I enjoyed as a kid. The first two I’ve watched again since and are very good in my opinion.

Haven’t seen Death Line for years but I remember it being funny. Starred Donald Pleasance and all about a cannibal living in the Tube. ‘Mine da nooooors’
Best British Films on 19:34 - Sep 17 with 2250 viewsdsw2509

Best British Films on 14:23 - Sep 16 by ShotKneesHoop

Top Ten British Comedy Films -

1.Kinds Hearts and Coronets" Alec Guinness's greatest film. "I shot an arrow in the air, she fell to earth in Berkley Square Top Script and acting -" While I never admired Edith as much as when I was with Sibella , I never longed for Sibella as much as when I was with Edith.

2. "The Ladykillers" - Another Alec Guinness classic "Well, get her to write a note, you know. "I just couldn't stand it no more. Signed, Mrs. Wilberforce." And then somebody goes down and hangs her. Hmm?

3. "The Wrong Arm Of The Law" Peter Sellars , Lionel Jeffries "I'll get 'em Sir, don't you worry about that"

4 "Two Way Stretch" - More Peter Sellers, Lionel Jeffries "I know its a baby and you've been inside here for two years so far ...... but you wrote me some very passionate letters"

5,"A Shot In The Dark" even more Sellers "Give me ten men like Clouseau and I could destroy the world.

6. "Life If Brian" "He's a very naughty boy"

7. "Withnail and I" "I mean to have you, even if it's burglary"

8. "School For Scoundrels: The great Alistair Sim and Terry Thomas "Hard cheese old boy!"

9. "I'm alright Jack" - Sellers, Terry Thomas, Liz Fraser. "The workers are a shower, an absolute shower"

10. "Rita, Sue and Bob Too" - ""When we have sex, it feels like shagging a bag of spuds - you lay there like a bit of wet rag

You could mix them all up but I'd still have "Kinds Hearts" as the best one.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2018 22:43]

Italian Job has some great lines;

You're only supposed to blow the bl00dy doors off

In this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road

Fulham-bit dodgy really

Well, practice makes perfect, Mr Bridger

and of course

Lads, I've got a great idea.....
Best British Films on 19:51 - Sep 17 with 2241 viewsE17hoop

Best British Films on 12:35 - Sep 16 by Rangersw12

Four Lions

Four Lions is quite brilliant.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Best British Films on 21:14 - Sep 17 with 2207 views2Thomas2Bowles

King of thieves is crap

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Best British Films on 00:38 - Sep 18 with 2163 viewsDannyPaddox

Best British Films on 10:02 - Sep 17 by qprxtc

Night of the Demon (1957)
Dead of Night (1945)
Death Line (1972)

Three British horror films I enjoyed as a kid. The first two I’ve watched again since and are very good in my opinion.

Haven’t seen Death Line for years but I remember it being funny. Starred Donald Pleasance and all about a cannibal living in the Tube. ‘Mine da nooooors’

Consumate horror triumvirate there Extee. IMHO The Wicker Man is the best British film ever but Death Line what a shout. It was funny but also so dark it was (one of only 2 Hammer films) never showed on tele. And the soundtrack. Immense ... listen to the bass and the false endings on this ... 1972!

Best British Films on 10:23 - Sep 18 with 2086 viewsMick_S

Best British Films on 00:38 - Sep 18 by DannyPaddox

Consumate horror triumvirate there Extee. IMHO The Wicker Man is the best British film ever but Death Line what a shout. It was funny but also so dark it was (one of only 2 Hammer films) never showed on tele. And the soundtrack. Immense ... listen to the bass and the false endings on this ... 1972!

I used to love Hammer films - never heard of this one. A quick question - I've halfheartedly scanned the tv listings looking for old Hammer Horror films, but no luck. Are they still being shown anywhere?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Best British Films on 10:53 - Sep 18 with 2058 viewscolinallcars

My favourite bit of Death Line was when the poor wretch who was the subject of the film dragged a young girl to his lair and offered her something to eat. The something being a dead rat that he hid bitten the head off. As he offered it he mumbled the only words he knew “ mind the doors “ that he had heard guards shouting on the platforms. I have the film in my attic somewhere, think I'll pop up and look for it.
Best British Films on 11:01 - Sep 18 with 2049 viewsMick_S

Best British Films on 10:53 - Sep 18 by colinallcars

My favourite bit of Death Line was when the poor wretch who was the subject of the film dragged a young girl to his lair and offered her something to eat. The something being a dead rat that he hid bitten the head off. As he offered it he mumbled the only words he knew “ mind the doors “ that he had heard guards shouting on the platforms. I have the film in my attic somewhere, think I'll pop up and look for it.

Be careful...

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Best British Films on 21:26 - Sep 18 with 1967 viewsMrSheen

I'm pretty sure I saw Death Line on telly once, but it may have been in a "forbidden film" season.

Here's the trailer for The Devils.

The best of British cinema has always had a touch of the English Civil War, the Roundhead Brotherhood of the Holy Word (Ken Loach and Mike Leigh, though "Topsy Turvy" is an exception) and the Cavalier Party of the Sacred Image (Ken Russell, Peter Greenaway, Derek Jarman), writers against artists. A couple of recent films that haven't been mentioned, '71 is in the first camp (British or Irish?!?!?), Lady Macbeth in the second. Both well worth watching.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024