Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best British Films 19:47 - Sep 8 with 20705 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've been binging on British cinema these last couple of weeks, re-watching old favourites and catching up on a couple that I'd always meant to get to but never quite managed to.

What's everybody's favourites? I'll throw mine in later on, but for now I don't want to lead the witness, y'r honour.

I'll be bookmarking this thread and adding to it occasionally.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best British Films on 22:55 - Sep 18 with 2237 viewsTacticalR

Best British Films on 21:26 - Sep 18 by MrSheen

I'm pretty sure I saw Death Line on telly once, but it may have been in a "forbidden film" season.

Here's the trailer for The Devils.

The best of British cinema has always had a touch of the English Civil War, the Roundhead Brotherhood of the Holy Word (Ken Loach and Mike Leigh, though "Topsy Turvy" is an exception) and the Cavalier Party of the Sacred Image (Ken Russell, Peter Greenaway, Derek Jarman), writers against artists. A couple of recent films that haven't been mentioned, '71 is in the first camp (British or Irish?!?!?), Lady Macbeth in the second. Both well worth watching.

If you ask people whether a film is like a painting or like a novel it's always interesting to hear the answers they give. Personally, I think that, despite appearances, cinema is fundamentally a narrative medium, but I can understand why people might not think that.

I also think Greenaway shot his bolt with The Draughtsman's Contract. At the time of the Tulse Luper project someone made this genius observation about him:

'It's perhaps not so much that audiences have moved away from Peter Greenaway as that Peter Greenaway has moved away from audiences.'

Why has Peter Greenaway gone so out of fashion?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2007/mar/22/whyhaspetergreenawaygones

Air hostess clique

Best British Films on 04:47 - Sep 19 with 2197 viewsitsbiga

“The Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover” was a good one.

[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 4:54]

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Best British Films on 06:34 - Sep 19 with 2179 viewsurrrrssss

K so here goes

All the Star Wars were made here,
All Indiana Jones also
All Stanley Kubric films were made here inc The shining
Flash Gordon
there are too many to mention
Best British Films on 08:27 - Sep 19 with 2167 viewsTacticalR

Forgot to mention...music for The Draughtsman's Contract composed by our very own Michael Nyman.

Air hostess clique

Best British Films on 10:11 - Sep 19 with 2154 viewsSuffolk

Many great films have been mentioned but I would like to add:

Oliver! - In my opinion the greatest musical ever made with fantastic songs by Lionel Bart and outstanding performances by Ron Moody and Oliver Reed.

Oh , Mr Porter! - Anything featuring Will Hay is comedy gold but as with most others I class this as his finest work.

The Curse of Frankenstein - My favourite Hammer Horror film. Although many of the Hammer films had U.S. involvement Hammer was a British film producer which produced many cult movies 1950-1970.

Other British greats worth a mention include: A Matter of Life and Death,The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Kings Speech, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Genevieve, Goodbye Mr Chips, The Dam Busters, The Crying Game, many of the Bond movies and the black and white St Trinian's films starring Alistair Sim.
Best British Films on 10:24 - Sep 19 with 2145 viewscolinallcars

Best British Films on 10:11 - Sep 19 by Suffolk

Many great films have been mentioned but I would like to add:

Oliver! - In my opinion the greatest musical ever made with fantastic songs by Lionel Bart and outstanding performances by Ron Moody and Oliver Reed.

Oh , Mr Porter! - Anything featuring Will Hay is comedy gold but as with most others I class this as his finest work.

The Curse of Frankenstein - My favourite Hammer Horror film. Although many of the Hammer films had U.S. involvement Hammer was a British film producer which produced many cult movies 1950-1970.

Other British greats worth a mention include: A Matter of Life and Death,The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Kings Speech, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Genevieve, Goodbye Mr Chips, The Dam Busters, The Crying Game, many of the Bond movies and the black and white St Trinian's films starring Alistair Sim.

Nice to see Goodbye Mr Chips get a mention. There are two remakes as well. A version with Petula Clark which was OK ish and a much later one with Martin Clunes which I haven't seen. I believe there is also a Spanish version called Adios Mr Chips !
Best British Films on 22:41 - May 22 with 1859 viewsTacticalR

'Room at the Top' has recently been restored by the British Film Institute

Air hostess clique

Best British Films on 23:03 - May 22 with 1844 viewsMrSheen

Best British Films on 22:41 - May 22 by TacticalR

'Room at the Top' has recently been restored by the British Film Institute

They did the same with This Sporting Life a few years ago. Magnificent performances from Richard Harris and Rachel Roberts, and a superb evocation of a vanished world in which close community merges into suffocating conformity.
Login to get fewer ads

Best British Films on 08:55 - May 23 with 1699 viewsBlackCrowe

Some amazing children's cinema over the years...

Railway Children, Swallow and Amazons etc but for me The Amazing Mr Blunden is still a brilliant film. Watched it again with my kids three years ago or so, and they were absolutely captivated which in this digital world of sfx and action, is a testimony to the story telling, casting and direction.

If you've got kids aged between 8 and 14, recommend you try it out. (it's a bit spooky for younger ones i reckon).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Best British Films on 08:59 - May 23 with 1697 viewsheadhoops

The Omen
shot in 1976 in and around Fulham, Guildford and Pyrford and the final scene where the father tries to stab Damien to death is in St Peter's Church, Staines. I got married there 10 years later - should have seen it coming!

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Best British Films on 09:28 - May 23 with 1673 viewsloftboy

The 1973 Sean Connery film “The offence “ was filmed mainly around the wildridings and easthampstead areas of Bracknell, they used bracknells only tower block (at the time) point royal, I have vague memories as a 6 year old being taken across the road from where I lived at the time to watch some of it being made

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best British Films on 10:24 - May 23 with 1640 viewsPommyhoop

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Best British Films on 14:00 - May 23 with 1571 viewsmarkrtid

Nice film directed by Richard Ayoade.
Good ost by the bloke from the Arctic Monkeys.

Best British Films on 14:29 - May 23 with 1549 viewsmarkrtid

Brilliant.

Best British Films on 14:43 - May 23 with 1538 viewsmarkrtid

Best British Films on 15:30 - May 23 with 1499 viewsSharpediver

Many, many, outstanding films already mentioned.
My 3 favourites out of these:

1. Withnail and I (1986)
2. Kes (1969)
3. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960)

Would gladly go to BFI studio cinema on Southbank every year and watch these again with a glass or 3.
Best British Films on 15:37 - May 23 with 1483 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Best British Films on 16:28 - May 23 with 1453 viewsjohncharles

Thinking about some oddities. Zulu is a great film obviously filmed in Africa but it’s British to the core. The African Queen starring Humphrey Bogarde and Katherine Hepburn was filmed (mostly) at Isleworth studios.

Strong and stable my arse.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024