Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best British Films 19:47 - Sep 8 with 21012 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've been binging on British cinema these last couple of weeks, re-watching old favourites and catching up on a couple that I'd always meant to get to but never quite managed to.

What's everybody's favourites? I'll throw mine in later on, but for now I don't want to lead the witness, y'r honour.

I'll be bookmarking this thread and adding to it occasionally.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best British Films on 07:01 - Sep 9 with 2290 viewshubble

Best British Films on 06:48 - Sep 9 by davman

If none of you think that The Full Month shouldn't be there because it's "too mainstream", "too commercial" or " not cult enough" to be up there have forgotten just how funny it was / is. Go and Watch it again; it is a wonderful, wonderful piece of Cinema.

Well I watched it for 28 days, but I couldn't last the distance.

Some fantastic films already mentioned, but haven't we had this discussion before? I remember nominating Lindsay Anderson's 'if..' in a similar list. Would also add Saturday Night Sunday Morning, Room at the Top, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and The Third Man.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Best British Films on 08:19 - Sep 9 with 2240 viewseasthertsr

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Sexy Beast fantastic film and Ben Kingsley puts in a brilliant performance!
Best British Films on 08:21 - Sep 9 with 2237 viewsToast_R

Rather intrigued by the Rettendon Murders, there's been lots of films made about it most of them dogshit. However I did rather enjoy Rise of the Footsoldier. The sequel and prequel that followed were again both dogshit but the original worked wonders.

I.D.
This is England
Best British Films on 08:27 - Sep 9 with 2232 viewshubble

Best British Films on 08:19 - Sep 9 by easthertsr

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Sexy Beast fantastic film and Ben Kingsley puts in a brilliant performance!

Yes indeed, and you've also reminded me of Nick Roeg's brilliant (IMO) 'Performance' starring Mick Jagger and James Fox.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Best British Films on 08:50 - Sep 9 with 2218 viewsisawqpratwcity

If none of you think that The Full Month shouldn't be there because it's "too mainstream", "too commercial" or " not cult enough" to be up there have forgotten just how funny it was / is. Go and Watch it again; it is a wonderful, wonderful piece of Cinema.

I couldn't find "The Full Month" on IMDb.

Did you mean "The Full Monthly", the searing British documentary film about menstruation and it's impact on Anarcho-Collectivist Fem-Politik in Muslim West London? Right On, Sister!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Best British Films on 09:14 - Sep 9 with 2204 viewsdavman

Monty - obvs!

...but then you all knew that!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Best British Films on 09:28 - Sep 9 with 2190 viewsmacclesfieldman

My personal faves:
Classics: The Dambusters, Battle of Britain, Dunkirk, Zulu
Modern : The Full Monty, Brassed Off, Bridget Jones, Fever Pitch

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

Best British Films on 09:40 - Sep 9 with 2179 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best British Films on 23:16 - Sep 8 by ted_hendrix

No particular order but just a few that spring to mind.

'Nuts In May'
'Life of Brian' and 'Monty Python and The Holy Grail'
'Lawrence of Arabia' (what an opening scene)
'Trainspotting'
'Zulu'
Thought 'Kes' was a good film.
Try watching a film called 'The Hill' with Sean Connery in it if you get a spare 2 hours or so.
I think 'My Left Foot' may not be British I know it was set in Dublin but who knows?

'My Left Foot' is definitely Irish, but part-funded in Britain.

Login to get fewer ads

Best British Films on 09:41 - Sep 9 with 2178 viewsMoonshineSteve

'Nuts In May'
'Trainspotting'
'Zulu'
Try watching a film called 'The Hill' with Sean Connery in it if you get a spare 2 hours or so.
I think 'My Left Foot' may not be British I know it was set in Dublin but who knows?

Nuts in May is cringeingly funny. "He's totally ignoring you Keith".

The Hill is horrible.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Best British Films on 09:44 - Sep 9 with 2174 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best British Films on 23:53 - Sep 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

Lots of Hitchcock films. Don't get me started! Frenzy in particular.

Life of Brian.

Does Irish count? The Commitments. Once.

Why would Irish films count?

Best British Films on 09:52 - Sep 9 with 2166 viewscolinallcars

I forgot Hell Drivers.....great British film with one hell of a cast incuding Stanley Baker who appeared in so many terrific films. Another of his is Prize Of Arms which is about a group of soldiers robbing the army payroll.
Best British Films on 09:59 - Sep 9 with 2163 viewsdannyblue

Locke

Never need to watch it again, but an impressive thing.
Best British Films on 10:17 - Sep 9 with 2155 viewsEsox_Lucius

Rita, Sue and Bob Too
Car Trouble
This Years Love
A Fish Called Wanda
My Beautiful Laundrette
The Railway Children... could a film be any more British? :-)
Women In Love
any St. Trinians film
any Carry On film, even the bad ones.
10 Rillington Place
The Mouse That Roared
Don't Look Now
Walkabout
Castway (1986)

The grass is always greener.

Best British Films on 10:37 - Sep 9 with 2138 viewsWokingR

Best British Films on 23:03 - Sep 8 by colinallcars

No.

Objection overruled
I'll allow it.
Best British Films on 10:47 - Sep 9 with 2116 viewsloftboy

Best British Films on 10:37 - Sep 9 by WokingR

Objection overruled
I'll allow it.

Me too, Anthony booth plays Sid the brother in law and is brilliant. Not to mention some great Knockers!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best British Films on 10:54 - Sep 9 with 2117 viewsTacticalR

Truffaut once said that there was no such thing as British cinema. I don't think that's true but I know what he meant. Up until the 1970s, before the growth of television, the British film industry was a force to be reckoned with, making movies for a mass audience. Now it focuses on niche movies like 'Four Weddings and a Funeral'. I don't list any films that have already been mentioned except for 'Room at the Top'.

Great Expectations (1946). One of Dickens' greatest masterpieces brought to the screen by one of Britain's greatest film-makers, David Lean.

Room at the Top (1959). Jack Clayton's melodrama about class and the price of success, based on John Braine's novel. It shouldn't have worked as on paper the leading actors (Laurence Harvey and Simone Signoret) were miscast, but both are excellent.

Melody (1971). A vivid portrait of childhood, set in London. Written by Alan Parker before he decamped to Hollywood. Directed by Waris Hussein.

Persuasion (1995). A small masterpiece, made for BBC2 by Roger Michell. One of the best Jane Austen adaptations.

Air hostess clique

Best British Films on 11:18 - Sep 9 with 2097 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Third Man. Masterful.

Best British Films on 11:41 - Sep 9 with 2077 viewsNoelmc

My two favourites

Local Hero -

Whimsical comedy from Bill Forsyth with great soundtrack from Mark Knopfler

The Long Good Friday -

Absolutely love the scene in the Savoy where he slates off the Americans, which is followed by my favourite ever film ending. Hoskins is outstanding in it.
Best British Films on 11:45 - Sep 9 with 2076 viewsTearsofrage

The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer
A Canterbury Tale
Olivier's Henry V
Great Expectations
Get Carter
The Life of Brian
Atonement
Zulu
Brassed Off
Bedazzled
...just too many not forgetting the epic "Four Year Plan"
Best British Films on 12:10 - Sep 9 with 2057 viewsisawqpratwcity

Best British Films on 10:54 - Sep 9 by TacticalR

Truffaut once said that there was no such thing as British cinema. I don't think that's true but I know what he meant. Up until the 1970s, before the growth of television, the British film industry was a force to be reckoned with, making movies for a mass audience. Now it focuses on niche movies like 'Four Weddings and a Funeral'. I don't list any films that have already been mentioned except for 'Room at the Top'.

Great Expectations (1946). One of Dickens' greatest masterpieces brought to the screen by one of Britain's greatest film-makers, David Lean.

Room at the Top (1959). Jack Clayton's melodrama about class and the price of success, based on John Braine's novel. It shouldn't have worked as on paper the leading actors (Laurence Harvey and Simone Signoret) were miscast, but both are excellent.

Melody (1971). A vivid portrait of childhood, set in London. Written by Alan Parker before he decamped to Hollywood. Directed by Waris Hussein.

Persuasion (1995). A small masterpiece, made for BBC2 by Roger Michell. One of the best Jane Austen adaptations.

A great shout for David Lean.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Best British Films on 12:22 - Sep 9 with 2045 viewsBrianMcCarthy

One of the most beautifully shot films, possibly. Excellent in other way as well, of course, but it just LOOKS brilliant.

Best British Films on 12:37 - Sep 9 with 2030 viewsLblock

Been a favourite of mine since a nipper - A Bridge Too Far

Another classic that I love is Ice Cold in Alex - love most of them old B&W war ones

Plus I’ll always love Wild Geese

Sucker for the war films!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Best British Films on 14:39 - Sep 9 with 1962 viewscolinallcars

Best British Films on 10:54 - Sep 9 by TacticalR

Four Weddings And A Funeral was good but not as good as that one about the Kray twins - Four Funerals And A Wedding.
Best British Films on 15:07 - Sep 9 with 1924 viewsBoston

Best British Films on 07:01 - Sep 9 by hubble

Well I watched it for 28 days, but I couldn't last the distance.

Some fantastic films already mentioned, but haven't we had this discussion before? I remember nominating Lindsay Anderson's 'if..' in a similar list. Would also add Saturday Night Sunday Morning, Room at the Top, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and The Third Man.

Have another bash old chap, start date February 1st.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Best British Films on 15:46 - Sep 9 with 1912 viewsRamseyR

'Nuts In May'
'Trainspotting'
'Zulu'

+1 for Sean Connery in The Hill. Awesome film.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024