Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes at Euros Reflection 23:23 - Jun 22 with 6765 viewsEmpireStateRanger

So not the most prolific performance from Lyndon, and it seems the Scots on social media were none too pleased with his output, but how do we view it?

Personally entered the tournament thinking he’d struggle a bit to perform, similar to his first few months with Rangers as he adjusted to the step up in play. But I wasn’t totally discouraged.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:19 - Jun 23 with 1662 viewsstrikerace

I thought the reason Scotland didn't move on was the play of their attackers. Adams was woeful, they needed him to score and he just doesn't. Dykes played like Dykes plays. He is not the lead the line, scorer. What he seems to be is the 2nd forward you play along with the lead striker. He is holding play up, etc. He'll be ok for us because we have Austin. If we didn't I think fans would get down on him because they would expect him to start scoring more. If Scotland had Austin and Dykes upfront I think they would have made the 16
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:26 - Jun 23 with 1636 viewsTW_R

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:05 - Jun 23 by daveB

I thought he did OK, hold play was decent bit unlucky not to score against England

I agree Dave - he's a Championship player coming up against Premiership and La Liga players. I thought he did pretty well in the circumstances. Wasn't he Man of the Match in their play-off against Serbia where they qualified for the Euros - I think he had only played a few games for them at that time. I can't see him scoring a lot of goals in a team that create very few chances.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:28 - Jun 23 with 1635 viewsPinnerPaul

In common with 90% of that squad he is not a top quality international.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2021 14:28]
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:35 - Jun 23 with 1619 viewsLythamR

could have had 2 goals in the first game but for the keeper

should have had a couple of assists but for poor finishing from others, didnt really get much service. Personally I thought his overall impact and performance was much better than Kane for England over the group games

he will do us proud next season
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 14:40 - Jun 23 with 1605 viewswhittocksRs

There were a couple of occasions in all three Scotland games where he should have been in box for a cross or through ball but had drifted deep and gave himself too much to do. But all in all, he tried hard, nearly got one against England and did okay in a team that struggled to penetrate defences. He clearly benefits from having a more experienced forward next to him up top and Che Adams ain't that.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 15:35 - Jun 23 with 1531 viewsBostonR

Scotland were knackered and made it worse by going long vs Croatia. Modric and that midfield picked up every second ball and destroyed them.

On a better day, he scores against the Czech Republic and Eng, but Scotland did not play to his strengths and he did not perform well. If we get the after Xmas 2020 Dykes this coming season he will do well.

Also, he looks much stronger and fitter.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 15:49 - Jun 23 with 1515 viewsdanehoop

Gone from playing in lower mid table Scottish Championship football to top Half Championship football in just over 3 years.

Now he is getting experience playing against world class players at the Euros. Think he has done fine and will gain from the experience and so will we.

Never knowingly understood

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 15:56 - Jun 23 with 1495 viewsBoston

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 15:49 - Jun 23 by danehoop

Gone from playing in lower mid table Scottish Championship football to top Half Championship football in just over 3 years.

Now he is getting experience playing against world class players at the Euros. Think he has done fine and will gain from the experience and so will we.

Ker-ching.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 15:58 - Jun 23 with 1493 viewswood_hoop

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 15:49 - Jun 23 by danehoop

I' ll say it with a song, far better than my usual ramblings.......

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 16:21 - Jun 23 with 1455 viewsEastR

picking up on something from another thread - who's had a better competition in the first round matches: Dykes or Kane?

I'd happy argue the one who's not about to be sold for £100m

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 16:28 - Jun 23 with 1443 viewslondonscottish

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:31 - Jun 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Didn't see last night's Scotland game but I thought he was impressive against England and ok against Czech Republic. Would have been nice if he scored a goal, naturally, but overall, I think his reputation in the game and his value will have increased. I think we cam reasonably expect both to continue upwards,

I'd broadly agree with that. He did really well for Scotland in the qualifiers (against lesser teams, obvs) and then had that great last third of the season for us.

Warburton talks about "giving him the academy training he never had". Interestingly, Austin said a similar thing about his time in Southampton on the W12 pod - picking up technical and positioning skills that he'd never been exposed to in the earlier part of his career.

If Warbs can help Dykes in that way, his contribution and goal scoring will only get better and I think he'll be a really useful player for Rangers over the next couple of seasons.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 16:49 - Jun 23 with 1386 viewsBostonR

Scotland were knackered and made it worse by going long vs Croatia. Modric and that midfield picked up every second ball and destroyed them.

On a better day, he scores against the Czech Republic and Eng, but Scotland did not play to his strengths and he did not perform well. If we get the after Xmas 2020 Dykes this coming season he will do well.

Also, he looks much stronger and fitter.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 17:39 - Jun 23 with 1311 viewsParkRoyalR

Unfortunate not to come away with a couple of goals and assists,

Thought he did very well against Mings, can only compare to Smith in recent memory but Dykes seem better able to track the flight of the ball out from the back-line and position himself to win first contact and actually direct his headers, so if we can get Austin and Willock running on, its another option for our attack,

Also impressed last night with his pace over 20-30 yards when he beat the Croatian defender to a ball he wasn't favourite for,

Remain confident he can develop into a 15 goal (from open play) Championship striker next season, and that his strikers instinct and positional play continues to improve and benefit from training with Austin.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 19:23 - Jun 23 with 1235 viewsHastings_Hoops

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:45 - Jun 23 by stevec

One thing we have to accept, he’s never going to improve beyond what we’ve already seen.

I do like him, want him to prove doubters like me completely wrong, but I suspect he’s not got beyond Xmas as a first teamer here.

I’d be happy with that… he was after all prolific both with goals and assists at the end of last season.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 19:42 - Jun 23 with 1203 viewsT_Block

Really?
Think about it
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 22:15 - Jun 23 with 1133 viewsgazza1

Dykes was pretty average in a poor team....hopefully he enjoyed the experience and gained some valuable knowledge. It could not have done any harm to him which is all I hoped for.
Dykes at Euros Reflection on 07:44 - Jun 24 with 978 viewscaliforniahoop

Dykes at Euros Reflection on 23:41 - Jun 22 by lightwaterhoop

Completely out of his depth in a average side but thats no big disgrace as this is a very very top quality tournament.

Best tournament I have seen in years
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024