Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dennis Butler 17:32 - Aug 29 with 8067 viewsCleedale

Great interview here...

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/august/watch_dennisbutlerinterview/
Dennis Butler on 23:04 - Sep 1 with 2130 viewsDiddyDave

Dennis Butler on 21:28 - Sep 1 by mingthemerciless

I’d agree with Derrick Ryder. That team was the best Rochdale side I’ve ever seen. They played some great passing football, no kick and rush. Every player had a role in the team and they were a really tight knit unit.

Obviously Fred Ratcliffe didn’t agree.
Dennis Butler on 04:04 - Sep 4 with 1892 viewsDiddyDave

Talking about midfielders, I`m sure Bobby Stephenson was around about this time, plus of course Hughie Riley. Think Stephenson played cricket for Hampshire for many years, wicket keeper.
Dennis Butler on 09:35 - Sep 4 with 1806 viewsmingthemerciless

Dennis Butler on 04:04 - Sep 4 by DiddyDave

Talking about midfielders, I`m sure Bobby Stephenson was around about this time, plus of course Hughie Riley. Think Stephenson played cricket for Hampshire for many years, wicket keeper.

Didn’t Stephenson play for Castleton Moor at cricket before he made the big time ?
Dennis Butler on 10:34 - Sep 4 with 1777 viewsspringfieldparka

Dennis Butler on 04:04 - Sep 4 by DiddyDave

My recollection , and , as usual these days , I stand to be corrected , is that Bobby Stephenson was around immediately prior to the promotion season but not part of it . I think Hughen Riley came to prominence the season after ?
Dennis Butler on 10:42 - Sep 4 with 1772 viewsEllDale

I thought Bobby Stephenson player wicket keeper for Milnrow. No big deal if it was Cassie Moor though as he was a really talented cricketer.
From memory he played for Dale under Tony Collins and left before the promotion season.
Dennis Butler on 11:04 - Sep 4 with 1751 viewsTVOS1907

Dennis Butler on 10:42 - Sep 4 by EllDale

I thought Bobby Stephenson player wicket keeper for Milnrow. No big deal if it was Cassie Moor though as he was a really talented cricketer.
From memory he played for Dale under Tony Collins and left before the promotion season.

Castleton Moor

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dennis Butler on 11:06 - Sep 4 with 1741 viewsTVOS1907

Dennis Butler on 10:34 - Sep 4 by springfieldparka

My recollection , and , as usual these days , I stand to be corrected , is that Bobby Stephenson was around immediately prior to the promotion season but not part of it . I think Hughen Riley came to prominence the season after ?

Debut: 21/8/65 v Aldershot

Last Game: 27/3/67 v Port Vale

54 appearances, 17 goals

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dennis Butler on 11:50 - Sep 4 with 1698 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I find it frustrating that when the club have 3 players from our first ever promotion winning side to speak to, they do so little homework. In the main the questionnaire differed little from the one our new signings had. For once why can't the club treat our former players and 'heroes' in some fans eyes, with a modicum of respect. Less than 10 minutes of interviews for players who created history that was more than 60 years in the making, to me is shambolic. To cap it all make them walk around the pitch, when some are in their 80's and just for good measure, give them a good soaking with the sprinklers.

Opportunities like this one are unlikely to be repeated, yet they always look as if they've been cobbled together at the last minute.
It would also be nice for those of us in the Sandy Lane who would like to hear the names of those players present, to be heard via a tannoy system, that is better than a railway station announcer with a cold and no Vicks' Sinex nasal spray! Oh Mbaam!
Login to get fewer ads

Dennis Butler on 12:01 - Sep 4 with 1677 viewsD_Alien

Dennis Butler on 11:50 - Sep 4 by RooleyMoorBlue

I find it frustrating that when the club have 3 players from our first ever promotion winning side to speak to, they do so little homework. In the main the questionnaire differed little from the one our new signings had. For once why can't the club treat our former players and 'heroes' in some fans eyes, with a modicum of respect. Less than 10 minutes of interviews for players who created history that was more than 60 years in the making, to me is shambolic. To cap it all make them walk around the pitch, when some are in their 80's and just for good measure, give them a good soaking with the sprinklers.

Opportunities like this one are unlikely to be repeated, yet they always look as if they've been cobbled together at the last minute.
It would also be nice for those of us in the Sandy Lane who would like to hear the names of those players present, to be heard via a tannoy system, that is better than a railway station announcer with a cold and no Vicks' Sinex nasal spray! Oh Mbaam!

"I find it frustrating that when the club have 3 players from our first ever promotion winning side to speak to, they do so little homework."

Hopefully, "they" won't get the chance to do anything quite as lazy and abysmal ever again

But still, some people were delighted with the negativity generated by why players left the club 50 years ago instead of celebrating their time here

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dennis Butler on 12:27 - Sep 4 with 1639 views49thseason

Dennis Butler on 11:04 - Sep 4 by TVOS1907

Castleton Moor

Bob stephenson was wicket keeper and batsman at Milnrow in a decent Milnrow team captained by former Lancashire Captain Ken Grieves iirc. He also played County Cricket for Derbyshire and Hampshire for some 14 seasons and won the County Championship with Hampshire in 1973( wiki) . As a youngster I used to watch out for Hampshire being featured on the Sunday afternoon limited overs matches on TV to see if he was playing.
Dennis Butler on 12:28 - Sep 4 with 1639 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Dennis Butler on 12:01 - Sep 4 by D_Alien

"I find it frustrating that when the club have 3 players from our first ever promotion winning side to speak to, they do so little homework."

Hopefully, "they" won't get the chance to do anything quite as lazy and abysmal ever again

But still, some people were delighted with the negativity generated by why players left the club 50 years ago instead of celebrating their time here

As long as "they" were happy, nothing else matters, it seems.

Something else that is confusing me, is that since the backroom staff was increased by a third under the 'Bottomley' regime, the output including customer services, telephone accessibility, email response, season ticket information, (I could go on) has fallen in standard. Now everything is automated it seems a four day week is now the norm for a professional football club.
Dennis Butler on 05:13 - Sep 8 with 1414 viewsDiddyDave

Dennis Butler on 10:34 - Sep 4 by springfieldparka

Who was at Valley Parade in the 1969/70 season when Hughen Riley scored a hat trick, Dale beating Bradford City 3-0? The match was on a wet and windy February night, replayed from an abandonment a few weeks earlier due to fog, think they called it off at half time. Hughie`s first goal came from a hopeful right wing cross that swung in the wind, completely bamboozling the City keeper and it somehow dropped over his head into the net. Can`t really recall his other two goals, but it was a good night for the Dale.
Dennis Butler on 06:24 - Sep 8 with 1395 viewspioneer

Dennis Butler on 05:13 - Sep 8 by DiddyDave

Who was at Valley Parade in the 1969/70 season when Hughen Riley scored a hat trick, Dale beating Bradford City 3-0? The match was on a wet and windy February night, replayed from an abandonment a few weeks earlier due to fog, think they called it off at half time. Hughie`s first goal came from a hopeful right wing cross that swung in the wind, completely bamboozling the City keeper and it somehow dropped over his head into the net. Can`t really recall his other two goals, but it was a good night for the Dale.

Incredible evening…I was there. Bradford were going great at the time and we were in a slump. But your memory is playing tricks. Riley got one but Tony Buck got a brace. One came from a peach of a cross from deep, i cant remember who was behind it but Buck contolled it and the buried it past the keeper. I was in the mainstand right behind the line of the cross. I remember replaying it with my subbuteo the day after!

Those were Tony Bucks last goals for us for 12 months….his badly broken leg occurred two games after this.

One of my favourite away games.

Riley had only played one game in the promotion season and this was only his third start of the season, effectively coming in when Vinny Leech got injured.
Dennis Butler on 14:00 - Sep 8 with 1229 viewsDiddyDave

Dennis Butler on 06:24 - Sep 8 by pioneer

Incredible evening…I was there. Bradford were going great at the time and we were in a slump. But your memory is playing tricks. Riley got one but Tony Buck got a brace. One came from a peach of a cross from deep, i cant remember who was behind it but Buck contolled it and the buried it past the keeper. I was in the mainstand right behind the line of the cross. I remember replaying it with my subbuteo the day after!

Those were Tony Bucks last goals for us for 12 months….his badly broken leg occurred two games after this.

One of my favourite away games.

Riley had only played one game in the promotion season and this was only his third start of the season, effectively coming in when Vinny Leech got injured.

Maybe Hughen`s amazing goal got me mesmerised for the whole game,but anyway, it was a great cold, windy night for the Dale.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024