Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread 21:31 - Feb 17 with 27654 viewsHullDale

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:12 - Feb 19 with 3666 viewsMass_Debater

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 16:06 - Feb 19 by beat_the_bishop

My last post was probably about 10 games ago and I pointed out the lack of fight, passion and grit. I’m sat here now, full emerged in a relegation battle wondering why I am witnessing the same drivel.

We have made about 4 passes the final third. The most abject 45 minutes considering our position. Scunthorpe must be sat eating their tangerines thinking this is in the bag and league two survival isn’t beyond them if we are what they have to fight against.

Newby was our best outlet last week and makes the bench this week. Bizzare because when he isn’t in the team O’Keefe looks half the player. The latter I don’t understand the hype on whatsoever. Just a poor man’s Wiseman.

Kelly is due a spell on the bench too. Not up for this type of battle. Spraying balls in a good team is nice when it’s going well but we don’t need that right now. We need ball carriers and battlers.

Clarke is crossing from far too deep and Dooley is probably the most shot shy player in the league when he gets in decent positions.

Dorsett keeps finding claret with hopeless long balls.

A big 45 minutes needed to prove to the fans they are up for this. Actions speak louder than words Robbie but this is your team. If you can’t fire them up then we are heading down a dark dark hole.

Scunthorpe look well organised, authoritarian and desperate to win. The togetherness when their centre half blocked Balls attempt at a shot on the penalty spot summed them up brilliantly. They know they can beat us and it’s the only thing in their heads.

Scunthorpe were crap from minute 1
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:13 - Feb 19 with 3659 viewsboromat

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:09 - Feb 19 by davidab2202

BBC giving second goal to Taylor ?

Seems the beeb were correct.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:19 - Feb 19 with 3512 views442Dale

If nothing else, that result should hopefully stop any farcical calls for a change of manager.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:22 - Feb 19 with 3451 viewsboromat

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:19 - Feb 19 by 442Dale

If nothing else, that result should hopefully stop any farcical calls for a change of manager.

A win at home would help as well. 2 difficult games at home now but followed by Carlisle away.

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:24 - Feb 19 with 3424 viewsbeat_the_bishop

Much improved second half. No surprise that Newby made the difference and always looks to make positive moves and face forwards. Credit to RS for making the change because it was needed. An odd decision on the face of it to remove your second striker and replace with a winger when chasing the game but I felt everyone knew their roles again from that point forward.

Scunthorpe fell off the wagon big time, they looked a bit like us when we go in front. Not actually sure how to handle it.

Massive 3 points, ugly game but at this stage who cares. A big result on Tuesday and we can get rid of those tense knots between our shoulders and start to play with a bit more freedom. We have ability, just doesn’t get unlocked.

The pitch invading at all levels has grown too much momentum. Cocaine, Stella, Stone Island and a U in your GCSE’s is a vicious cocktail. Unless something changes we will be seeing metal cages/screens installed in pre-season. It ruined the moment for our players.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 17:27]
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:28 - Feb 19 with 3359 viewsNigeriamark

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:10 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

Massive three points that

A look at the table at half time was worrying, but we're now in a much better position and Scunthorpe look gone. Carlisle got hammered and in a bad place with Latics picking up under Sheridan

But why the f*ck do we have to wait till half time to start playing? RS will be the most relieved of all of us, we were genuinely under threat of freefall after another awful start

Ball immense again

You and I think Kel? spot on. What were we thinking in the first half? the "proven" worst team in the league, & genuinely garbage & we don't get our of 1st gear. I said earlier we only needed to improve a bit to be back in the game & fortunately we improved a lot. We were the better side, but they are awful too. We can breathe a sigh of relief that we got our changes right at HT, but perhaps we can now have a spell of getting them right from the start
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:28 - Feb 19 with 3357 views442Dale

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:24 - Feb 19 by beat_the_bishop

Much improved second half. No surprise that Newby made the difference and always looks to make positive moves and face forwards. Credit to RS for making the change because it was needed. An odd decision on the face of it to remove your second striker and replace with a winger when chasing the game but I felt everyone knew their roles again from that point forward.

Scunthorpe fell off the wagon big time, they looked a bit like us when we go in front. Not actually sure how to handle it.

Massive 3 points, ugly game but at this stage who cares. A big result on Tuesday and we can get rid of those tense knots between our shoulders and start to play with a bit more freedom. We have ability, just doesn’t get unlocked.

The pitch invading at all levels has grown too much momentum. Cocaine, Stella, Stone Island and a U in your GCSE’s is a vicious cocktail. Unless something changes we will be seeing metal cages/screens installed in pre-season. It ruined the moment for our players.

Dale, as well as other clubs, need to come out and make a statement about this sort of behaviour. It’s becoming commonplace and it needs clubs to actually say they’d rather people stayed away than have some think it’s the norm and ok.

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:29 - Feb 19 with 3352 viewsdawlishdale

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:10 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

Massive three points that

A look at the table at half time was worrying, but we're now in a much better position and Scunthorpe look gone. Carlisle got hammered and in a bad place with Latics picking up under Sheridan

But why the f*ck do we have to wait till half time to start playing? RS will be the most relieved of all of us, we were genuinely under threat of freefall after another awful start

Ball immense again

it really was a game of two halves. For all of our clamour (including myself) for us to play 2 up front, it wasn't working, and Scunthorpe were better in almost every part of the game.

Along comes half time, and we revert to type with an extra man in midfield, and the game was transformed in our favour.

I actually thought that Ball had a very quiet first half, but grew into things after the break. The big difference was in how Kelly, O Keefe and Newby linked up which caused them so many problems, and also stopped most of their attacking threat.

Big three points for us, but several more battles to come.
Login to get fewer ads

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:31 - Feb 19 with 3283 viewsD_Alien

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:28 - Feb 19 by Nigeriamark

You and I think Kel? spot on. What were we thinking in the first half? the "proven" worst team in the league, & genuinely garbage & we don't get our of 1st gear. I said earlier we only needed to improve a bit to be back in the game & fortunately we improved a lot. We were the better side, but they are awful too. We can breathe a sigh of relief that we got our changes right at HT, but perhaps we can now have a spell of getting them right from the start

The thing is, quite a few fans were calling for Charman to start up front alongside Campbell. I don't think there was too much wrong with that decision but we just looked oddly unbalanced as a result - a bit like the back four last week

Perhaps it'd work better at home, or later in the game rather than from the start. Something for RS to ponder

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:58 - Feb 19 with 3018 views1907

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:09 - Feb 19 by davidab2202

BBC giving second goal to Taylor ?

It was Taylor?
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:59 - Feb 19 with 3001 viewsboromat

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:58 - Feb 19 by 1907

It was Taylor?

The club were reporting Ball as the goalscorer

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 18:02 - Feb 19 with 2972 views_Windydale

It did look oddly unbalanced in my opinion, with two strikers who are used to using their strength, looking for through balls in the middle, running at a defence. We aren't making good use of there skills maybe?

I think with time on the training pitch giving the players a chance to gel, we will be a whole lot better. Like Kelly recognising the runs, the forwards knowing it's coming. At the moment the front two are not going to make a run if a pass never arrives.

First half, we haven't changed our style to suit the forwards, slow play, and bad distribution often from defence. The players haven't clicked yet. We have more success down the flanks, getting to by line into the more dangerous areas. Okeefe's performance seemed littered with mistakes but was better when his mate Newby came on as they work well as a team. passing the ball in a crowded box to be bundled or headed home.
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 18:35 - Feb 19 with 2723 viewsDickydaler

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 17:24 - Feb 19 by beat_the_bishop

Maybe a tannoy announcement just before kick off at matches and again at half time saying that any pitch encroachment will result in a future ban.
But the important thing is, enforce it!
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 18:38 - Feb 19 with 2687 views442Dale

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 18:35 - Feb 19 by Dickydaler

Maybe a tannoy announcement just before kick off at matches and again at half time saying that any pitch encroachment will result in a future ban.
But the important thing is, enforce it!

They’d only hear it in the Main Stand. LOUDLY.

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 18:42 - Feb 19 with 2658 viewsDickydaler

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 18:38 - Feb 19 by 442Dale

They’d only hear it in the Main Stand. LOUDLY.

I was waiting for a comment like that!
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 18:50 - Feb 19 with 2591 viewsTVOS1907

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 15:45 - Feb 19 by NorthernDale

We are very poor, with even the Scunthorpe commentators saying we look awful and are offering nothing going forward.

I am getting worried about our position, if we cannot even threaten the Scunthorpe goal and look second best against the team at the bottom.

We are even making Pyke look a decent footballer, which says a lot.

Pyke looked anything but a decent footballer and it was no surprise when he was substituted.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 19:41 - Feb 19 with 2271 viewsjonahwhereru

Feel this may be a pivotal weekend in this division. With Stevenage and Carlisle both getting thumped at home and us beating Scunthorpe. I know it’s still a long way to the end of the season but the momentum isn’t there for these sides. Today would have been a body blow for Scunthorpe.

I don’t mind RS being fed the sentiment on this site, but i hope he doesn’t pick up on the tactical advice on here. Years ago I used to think I new a bit about football. Over time I have come to realise I couldn’t manage a fart, let alone tactics and team selection. I am happy to leave that to the professionals.

Max Taylor still has lots to learn, but 3 league goals this season including a real beauty is a good return for a debut season youngster who was not held a place down. I still have reasonable hopes for him next season.
UTDNFS
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:08 - Feb 19 with 2121 viewsHullDale

I got home tonight elated and frustrated in equal measure.

The first half was as bad as anything seen this season (morale, performance, desire)... the second half I thought was OK (& Scunny being that poor made it look better than it actually was).

I've gone from thinking we had a transitional squad full of young talent in September, to a team that was lacking physicality and experience in December, to a squad now that has good talent throughout but lacks leadership and is flattering to deceive.

The atmosphere and chants from about 42 mins onwards were pretty toxic - chants about non league, no money, how bad we are etc - and the boos at half time were the loudest I can remember for a while. We need to start putting in performances for 90 mins rather than 45 and take everyone on the journey together.

In terms of stand out player - Ball is looking to be a real find. Box to box, aggressive, fearless, fit - and the opposition seem to absolutely hate him. Honourable mentions today too for Newby (changed the game), Grant (I think our best 'pure' footballer), and Campbell too - his best half for us in my opinion.
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:19 - Feb 19 with 2063 viewsboromat

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:08 - Feb 19 by HullDale

I got home tonight elated and frustrated in equal measure.

The first half was as bad as anything seen this season (morale, performance, desire)... the second half I thought was OK (& Scunny being that poor made it look better than it actually was).

I've gone from thinking we had a transitional squad full of young talent in September, to a team that was lacking physicality and experience in December, to a squad now that has good talent throughout but lacks leadership and is flattering to deceive.

The atmosphere and chants from about 42 mins onwards were pretty toxic - chants about non league, no money, how bad we are etc - and the boos at half time were the loudest I can remember for a while. We need to start putting in performances for 90 mins rather than 45 and take everyone on the journey together.

In terms of stand out player - Ball is looking to be a real find. Box to box, aggressive, fearless, fit - and the opposition seem to absolutely hate him. Honourable mentions today too for Newby (changed the game), Grant (I think our best 'pure' footballer), and Campbell too - his best half for us in my opinion.

Great to hear Campbell looked good in the second half. He's looked isolated so far in that formation up top on his own. Guessing it also means Newby and Grant got closer to him.

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:21 - Feb 19 with 2047 views1907

The first half was as bad as anything we’ve seen in many a year, let’s not beat about the bush. Absolutely dreadful Ball retention, no movement, littered with individual errors again, completed with the inevitable Lynch should I, shouldn’t I come for a cross that inevitably ended with a goal.

At half time we looked dead and buried

However… and it’s a big however… I’ve criticised Stockdale (deservedly) in recent weeks, but bringing Newby on as a 10 was a brilliant decision. We were a massively different team in the second half, causing countless problems and creating chances.

Ball is the man who we need to play as our main box to box, central midfielder. In the first half again Kelly was the man sitting deep and he was terrible. Noticeably in the second half Ball moved more central and the entire game changed. Similar to last week when Kelly was subbed at half time. I don’t think playing Ball on the left side of midfield is his best position.

A massive result that really improves the complexion of the places above the relegation zone, but there’s plenty of lessons to be learned from that horrific first half showing.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 20:27]
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:32 - Feb 19 with 1979 viewskel

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:21 - Feb 19 by 1907

The first half was as bad as anything we’ve seen in many a year, let’s not beat about the bush. Absolutely dreadful Ball retention, no movement, littered with individual errors again, completed with the inevitable Lynch should I, shouldn’t I come for a cross that inevitably ended with a goal.

However… and it’s a big however… I’ve criticised Stockdale (deservedly) in recent weeks, but bringing Newby on as a 10 was a brilliant decision. We were a massively different team in the second half, causing countless problems and creating chances.

Ball is the man who we need to play as our main box to box, central midfielder. In the first half again Kelly was the man sitting deep and he was terrible. Noticeably in the second half Ball moved more central and the entire game changed. Similar to last week when Kelly was subbed at half time. I don’t think playing Ball on the left side of midfield is his best position.

A massive result that really improves the complexion of the places above the relegation zone, but there’s plenty of lessons to be learned from that horrific first half showing.

“ I’ve criticised Stockdale (deservedly) in recent weeks”

Wouldn’t say it was deservedly, it’s your opinion that’s all.
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:39 - Feb 19 with 1929 viewsTVOS1907

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:21 - Feb 19 by 1907

The manager has admitted as much in his post-match interview.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:52 - Feb 19 with 1848 views442Dale

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:39 - Feb 19 by TVOS1907

The manager has admitted as much in his post-match interview.

Another good interview as well. Whilst we all have opinions on his selections and tactics, I’m happy to trust him to set teams out as he sees fit and back those choices.

Why? Two reasons. 1) he’s earnt the right to manage as he sees fit as he obviously respects the opinions of fans and others. 2) he’ll be the first to admit when he gets it wrong.

There will be frustrations and valid arguments about how we can try other things, but at the end of the day Stockdale deserves total backing in making whatever decisions he chooses as it’s obvious he’s learning and is willing to do so. It’s refreshing and commendable.

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:53 - Feb 19 with 1838 views1907

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:32 - Feb 19 by kel

“ I’ve criticised Stockdale (deservedly) in recent weeks”

Wouldn’t say it was deservedly, it’s your opinion that’s all.

So you’ve been happy with the last few performances? Happy with the ridiculously poor goal we’ve conceded again today?

We’ve won two league games since the end of October, which in all honesty is a disgrace.

I’d imagine Stockdale has been as pissed off with himself and his team, as fans have been in recent weeks.

Don’t patronise me I’m not a moron.

No surprise the other resident patronising pillock liked your post 👋
Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:55 - Feb 19 with 1817 viewsD_Alien

Scunthorpe (a) Match Thread on 20:53 - Feb 19 by 1907

So you’ve been happy with the last few performances? Happy with the ridiculously poor goal we’ve conceded again today?

We’ve won two league games since the end of October, which in all honesty is a disgrace.

I’d imagine Stockdale has been as pissed off with himself and his team, as fans have been in recent weeks.

Don’t patronise me I’m not a moron.

No surprise the other resident patronising pillock liked your post 👋

Since you're referring to me, i'm happy to patronise where its deserved - IMO of course

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024