Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Linford Christie Stadium 19:01 - Dec 13 with 18469 viewsDixie_CT

The future of Linford Christie Stadium, our last chance to stay in Hammersmith and Fulham, is being discussed tomorrow night.

http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=467&MId=7289&Ver=4

The proposal put forward as a plan is very amateurish and lacks quality.

http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/documents/s122549/Appendix%202%20-%20Linford%20Chri

We have little chance of getting permission for this site, or any other local site for that matter (although other options are very limited) and a new stadium is a pivotal factor in the future identity of our club. Without a long term place in the Premier League, our income is hamstrung, especially by Loftus Road.

This issue for me throws up some bigger questions. I personally think the owners should put it to the fans in regards to what we want for QPR because standing still financially sees us yo-yoing between the Championship and League One, not the other way. If that isn’t for them, then they should pass the baton onto a new Board (better the devil you know!)

Whatever your thoughts are on the Board, Lee, Les, Jude the Cat etc, you can’t deny that we have already been left behind by our local neighbours, Brentford & Fulham. Being the fourth team in West London might be a position we occupy for the foreseeable future and that isn’t something that sits comfortably with me.
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:37 - Dec 15 with 2286 viewshubble

Couldn't find anything about the history of Vespan Road, but I did discover the area used to be known as Starch Green and before that Gaggle Goose Green or alternatively Cackle Goose Green. Incidentally, QPR did actually play on Wormwood Scrubs in 1889, on the site of what is now the Linford Christie Stadium. So we have a precedent!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:39 - Dec 15 with 2267 viewsCiderwithRsie

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:08 - Dec 15 by dmm

Seems like you're not the only one trying to find out the history of Vespan Road, Hayesender

I recommend that account, it is full of good stuff.

(Though I fear she is a Fulham supporter.)
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:42 - Dec 15 with 2243 viewsHayesender

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:11 - Dec 15 by Sonofpugwash

My brother had one of these in the eighties which he rented out to students.
Bastard of a job getting them out - had to resort to bribes.Eventually turned it into a couple of flats.

What number did your brother own mate?

I pretty much lived in Vespan Road from birth in 71 till a few months ago

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:48 - Dec 15 with 2204 viewsHayesender

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:37 - Dec 15 by hubble

Couldn't find anything about the history of Vespan Road, but I did discover the area used to be known as Starch Green and before that Gaggle Goose Green or alternatively Cackle Goose Green. Incidentally, QPR did actually play on Wormwood Scrubs in 1889, on the site of what is now the Linford Christie Stadium. So we have a precedent!

I think the little green on the corner of Askew Road and Goldhawk Road going towards Ravenscourt Park is called Starch green

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:50 - Dec 15 with 2199 viewsCiderwithRsie

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:19 - Dec 14 by Hayesender

My old man lives in Feltham, and it really is an arse of a place. The wetherspoons you talk of is probably the worst pub I've ever had the misfortune to drink in, and I've been to some shite pubs in my time

I feel a song coming on.

"My old man's from Feltham
An *rsehole of a place
The Wetherspoons is lousy
They'll punch you in the face
And if you ask for Guinness
They never let it stand
The General Roy is better
But last week I got banned
Oi!"
Linford Christie Stadium on 14:53 - Dec 15 with 2191 viewscolinallcars

There used to be a little motorbike repair shop in Vespan Road called GG Mobike, donkey years ago - anyone remember him?
Linford Christie Stadium on 15:03 - Dec 15 with 2136 viewsBoston

Linford Christie Stadium on 04:24 - Dec 14 by Dixie_CT

A bit like if we built a stadium on the Linford Christie site or as part of the Old Oak Common Development.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Oak_Common_railway_station

Looking at that map, I do wonder if the club has ever had a conversation with Ark Burlington Danes and Latymer Upper School?
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 4:30]

Looking at the map...Watford DC .

Watford twinned with Washington is it?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:04 - Dec 15 with 2132 viewsderbyhoop

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:55 - Dec 14 by DavieQPR

Also the concourses would be illegal on a rebuild. They would have to be twice the size to comply with current regulations.

That is something many of the suggestions fail to consider.
It's highly debatable whether the current set up meets regulations. And, the reason for the regulations, is to allow safe evacuation in emergencies. See Bradford, herself, Hillsborough.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:23 - Dec 15 with 2036 viewsDannyPaddox

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:47 - Dec 15 by francisbowles

Are the residences opposite Olympia on the north or south side of the street?

The White City estate is on the north side of SA Road. I believe most light comes from the south and therefore any extra height would create a bigger shadow.

Good point. The houses and flats on Hammersmith Road are North-facing so don’t have much sunlight anyway whereas the residences on the White City Estate are South-facing so building the SA Road stand higher would have a bigger impact on the sunlight they get. How about a stadium built on hydraulics that sinks into the bowels of the earth, Tracy Island-style, on non-match days.
Linford Christie Stadium on 15:30 - Dec 15 with 2000 viewsericgen34

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:40 - Dec 14 by dmm

Clifford Gardens, first on the left, just over the bridge, when walking from Kempe Road. It was one of the show houses when the area was built and was a wonderful home. We lived there through the 60s.

I went to the school that your family's house borders. It was then called Harvist Road Junior School.

I have enormous affection for Kensal Rise and occasionally visit just for a nostalgic walk about.

I lived in Clifford Gardens for 9 years, railway side. Very happy times, hence my QPR supporting :)

I too do like to walk around Kensal Rise when I go to London, and always have a curry at the Khas :)
Linford Christie Stadium on 15:43 - Dec 15 with 1939 viewshubble

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:48 - Dec 15 by Hayesender

I think the little green on the corner of Askew Road and Goldhawk Road going towards Ravenscourt Park is called Starch green

According to Stanford's indexed atlas of London from 1911, Vespan Road is included in the area known as Starch Green, take a look here: https://archive.org/details/stanfordsindexed00gomm/page/27/mode/2up

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:55 - Dec 15 with 1917 viewsflynnbo

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:53 - Dec 15 by colinallcars

There used to be a little motorbike repair shop in Vespan Road called GG Mobike, donkey years ago - anyone remember him?

Did they repair Lambrettans too?
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 15:56]
Linford Christie Stadium on 16:16 - Dec 15 with 1845 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:03 - Dec 15 by Boston

Looking at the map...Watford DC .

Watford twinned with Washington is it?

DC stands for ‘don’t come’.

This should be read in regards to visiting Watford, rather than as an order to prolong a climax.
Linford Christie Stadium on 16:24 - Dec 15 with 1836 viewscolinallcars

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:23 - Dec 15 by DannyPaddox

Good point. The houses and flats on Hammersmith Road are North-facing so don’t have much sunlight anyway whereas the residences on the White City Estate are South-facing so building the SA Road stand higher would have a bigger impact on the sunlight they get. How about a stadium built on hydraulics that sinks into the bowels of the earth, Tracy Island-style, on non-match days.

D'you know, I'd never have thought of that…..
Linford Christie Stadium on 16:45 - Dec 15 with 1791 viewsDannyPaddox

Linford Christie Stadium on 16:24 - Dec 15 by colinallcars

D'you know, I'd never have thought of that…..

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:05 - Dec 15 with 1713 viewsDamo1962

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:11 - Dec 15 by hubble

People also might be interested to know that the Westbourne rises on Hampstead Heath, flows south west across Kilburn High Road and joins with a tributary from Queen's Park on its way down to the Thames, via the Serpentine in Hyde Park.

It used to be known as the Cyne-burna in Old English, or Kyne Burn, hence 'Kilburn' ('burn' being another name for river or stream of course). Amazing to consider now, but a Priory was built at the junction of the river and Watling Street (pretty much where Kilburn High Road station stands now), because of the health-giving benefits of the Kyne Burn/Kilbourne/Westbourne river. This is why you get local road names like Priory Road and also Abbey Road of Beatles fame, and also Westbourne Park.

Even more amazing to consider, in the 1700s, Kilburn was actually a fashionable spa, all because of the health-giving qualities of the Westbourne. Although the name Westbourne itself is fairly new; before that name became popular, it was also known as Bayswater Brook (hence Bayswater) - which name derived from the fact that there was a watering spot for horses (bayards) known as Bayard's Watering Place, and this was where the river flowed under what was then known as the Uxbridge Road, the very same road that borders our beloved ground.

Fascinating stuff about my old manor. Cheers Hubble.
Linford Christie Stadium on 17:29 - Dec 15 with 1653 viewsdmm

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:30 - Dec 15 by ericgen34

I lived in Clifford Gardens for 9 years, railway side. Very happy times, hence my QPR supporting :)

I too do like to walk around Kensal Rise when I go to London, and always have a curry at the Khas :)

At what number house did you live?
Linford Christie Stadium on 18:07 - Dec 15 with 1572 viewsPunteR

How about making capacity smaller but with a much better more modern stadium with decent bars, food etc. ?. Maybe a retractable roof so can be used in all weather for various football tournaments, small events. Not every gig needs 100,000 punters. We never sell out 18500 tickets anyway.
Just throwing an idea out there. I haven't really thought it through tbh. As per.. lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Linford Christie Stadium on 18:23 - Dec 15 with 1509 viewsE15Hoop

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:23 - Dec 15 by DannyPaddox

I like that idea, DP, but I'm not sure our beloved CEO will, as it means we can't "sweat the asset" - or, to put it in layman's terms - rent it out at as high a rate as possible to the Wjite City arm of the West London Olympic Crotchet Team and such like..
Linford Christie Stadium on 18:42 - Dec 15 with 1459 viewseastside_r

Linford Christie Stadium on 18:07 - Dec 15 by PunteR

How about making capacity smaller but with a much better more modern stadium with decent bars, food etc. ?. Maybe a retractable roof so can be used in all weather for various football tournaments, small events. Not every gig needs 100,000 punters. We never sell out 18500 tickets anyway.
Just throwing an idea out there. I haven't really thought it through tbh. As per.. lol

What you mean like a ‘boutique’ experience?
Linford Christie Stadium on 19:03 - Dec 15 with 1406 viewsdmm

Following on from the off topic historical chat on this thread, I thought some might enjoy this: An Alternative History of Shepherd's Bush by Richard Gregory https://www.richardgregory.org.uk/history/shepherds-bush-history.htm

I'm only part way through, and it'll take most several sittings to get through, but I'm sure those who like local and London history will find it fascinating.
Linford Christie Stadium on 19:22 - Dec 15 with 1358 viewsPunteR

Linford Christie Stadium on 18:42 - Dec 15 by eastside_r

What you mean like a ‘boutique’ experience?

We could make games invite only.. lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Linford Christie Stadium on 20:28 - Dec 15 with 1227 viewshubble

Linford Christie Stadium on 19:03 - Dec 15 by dmm

Following on from the off topic historical chat on this thread, I thought some might enjoy this: An Alternative History of Shepherd's Bush by Richard Gregory https://www.richardgregory.org.uk/history/shepherds-bush-history.htm

I'm only part way through, and it'll take most several sittings to get through, but I'm sure those who like local and London history will find it fascinating.

Yes, I read this too Dave, a brilliant potted history.

Linford Christie Stadium on 08:42 - Dec 16 with 1026 viewsWokingR

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:29 - Dec 15 by dmm

Stalker Alert
Linford Christie Stadium on 08:49 - Dec 16 with 1015 viewsericgen34

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:29 - Dec 15 by dmm

81, top floor flat
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024