Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 132762 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 10:46 - Jul 5 with 1396 viewsThe_Beast1976

General Election Thread on 10:28 - Jul 5 by daveB

The Israel/Palestine conflict has played a big part imo

Jess Phillips only just kept her seat due to an Independent running on that ticket, in Slough was similar and many other places. The Muslim vote has been against the main 2 parties for not calling for a ceasefire

Expect similar in America later this year

It hasn't had an impact in terms of seats won but like with Reform it's taken a lot of votes away from the traditional parties and like the boats issue it's something Labour are going to have to get on top of.

The Muslim vote will decide who is in power in about 20 years' time, and it will be a Muslim leader with Muslim values and rules for all (Muslim or not). Thankfully I will either be dead or won't have long left by then
General Election Thread on 10:49 - Jul 5 with 1364 viewsJuzzie

In his speech just now, Sunak mentioned about Starmer being a decent person etc. and wished hime and his family well.

Why can't they be this respectful when in parliament? Unless it's just 'for the cameras'', they way they talk and behave is appalling IMO, like a bunch of feral point-scoring school kids.

Some respect and decency needs to be brought back. The country mirror how they behave. Johnson behaves like a self-entitled cnt, then people will also behave like a self-entitled cnt.
General Election Thread on 10:50 - Jul 5 with 1359 viewsjoe90

General Election Thread on 10:28 - Jul 5 by daveB

The Israel/Palestine conflict has played a big part imo

Jess Phillips only just kept her seat due to an Independent running on that ticket, in Slough was similar and many other places. The Muslim vote has been against the main 2 parties for not calling for a ceasefire

Expect similar in America later this year

It hasn't had an impact in terms of seats won but like with Reform it's taken a lot of votes away from the traditional parties and like the boats issue it's something Labour are going to have to get on top of.

As has been mentioned, Labour has been able to make it up in other areas - which gives me some hope.

I am concerned about the UK's South Asian Muslims community influence on the Israel/Palestine conflict and more broadly our foreign policy. I think there is a fundamental disconnect and an uncomfortable relationship the left has with those communities. Much like the right and Reform, just the other side of the coin.
[Post edited 5 Jul 10:57]
General Election Thread on 10:52 - Jul 5 with 1333 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 10:46 - Jul 5 by The_Beast1976

The Muslim vote will decide who is in power in about 20 years' time, and it will be a Muslim leader with Muslim values and rules for all (Muslim or not). Thankfully I will either be dead or won't have long left by then

What an awful comment to make but it only adds to my feeling that this country is more right wing despite voting in a "Labour" Govt.
General Election Thread on 10:52 - Jul 5 with 1331 viewsBrianMcCarthy

General Election Thread on 10:15 - Jul 5 by stevec

He’d have gained those 3 million votes whilst simultaneously losing the election.

Ya, maybe you're right.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

General Election Thread on 10:58 - Jul 5 with 1262 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 10:52 - Jul 5 by dmm

What an awful comment to make but it only adds to my feeling that this country is more right wing despite voting in a "Labour" Govt.

Interesting that you think the comment is "awful" but not "Wrong" or "Inaccurate"

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

General Election Thread on 11:05 - Jul 5 with 1209 viewsrobith

General Election Thread on 10:37 - Jul 5 by EastR

favourite Dorries quote from last night:
"Tony Blair had a massive one"

she even said it twice

I got the impression Dorries had read Blair's wikipedia page before coming on having just disovered who he was given how often she brought stuff up about him like it was yesterday
General Election Thread on 11:08 - Jul 5 with 1174 viewsStreathamRanger

General Election Thread on 10:58 - Jul 5 by SheffieldHoop

Interesting that you think the comment is "awful" but not "Wrong" or "Inaccurate"

I'd be happy to call his comment awful, wrong and inaccurate.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 11:11 - Jul 5 with 1137 viewsThe_Beast1976

What's awful about it? I've merely made a statement about what I genuinely think will happen in the future and that I'm glad I probably won't be here for it.
[Post edited 5 Jul 11:12]
General Election Thread on 11:12 - Jul 5 with 1110 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 11:08 - Jul 5 by StreathamRanger

I'd be happy to call his comment awful, wrong and inaccurate.

You're also happy that this country has elected a party that accepts it allowed sensitivities around ethnicity prevent action on child sexual exploitation and abuse. Grim.

General Election Thread on 11:15 - Jul 5 with 1059 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 10:58 - Jul 5 by SheffieldHoop

How can it possibly be right and accurate when he's making a future prediction?
General Election Thread on 11:16 - Jul 5 with 1044 viewsKonk

General Election Thread on 10:50 - Jul 5 by joe90

As has been mentioned, Labour has been able to make it up in other areas - which gives me some hope.

I am concerned about the UK's South Asian Muslims community influence on the Israel/Palestine conflict and more broadly our foreign policy. I think there is a fundamental disconnect and an uncomfortable relationship the left has with those communities. Much like the right and Reform, just the other side of the coin.
[Post edited 5 Jul 10:57]

I'm a bit uncomfortable with it too, but the only time I haven't voted for Labour at a GE was in protest at the invasion of Iraq, and that's true for quite a few people I know, so hopefully it will be similar here, with Labour having refused to call for a ceasefire in Gaza. But as with Northern Ireland, I think it would be very bad news and extremely divisive if people stood on religious platforms.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

General Election Thread on 11:18 - Jul 5 with 997 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 11:11 - Jul 5 by The_Beast1976

What's awful about it? I've merely made a statement about what I genuinely think will happen in the future and that I'm glad I probably won't be here for it.
[Post edited 5 Jul 11:12]

Because you damn Muslims out of hand. Your post is, in effect, islamophobic.
General Election Thread on 11:19 - Jul 5 with 987 viewspaulparker

Quick question
What is right wing ????

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

General Election Thread on 11:20 - Jul 5 with 977 viewsThe_Beast1976

General Election Thread on 11:15 - Jul 5 by dmm

Conversely, how can it be wrong and inaccurate (as you allege) when (as you rightly say) I'm making a future prediction? It can be neither accurate nor inaccurate, right nor wrong, until the future has happened.

However, we can say with certainty that it is not awful. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
General Election Thread on 11:20 - Jul 5 with 966 viewsThe_Beast1976

General Election Thread on 11:18 - Jul 5 by dmm

Do me a favour.

Islamaphobic - "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against Islam or people who practice Islam"

I have no fear or aversion to or discrimination against Islam, nor any other religion in fact. What I do have is an immense dislike for all religion; therefore, if I see any particular religious group gaining more power and influence I will speak up against it. That is my right.

Anyway, I'm dismayed by the way this country is headed (the election results today do noting to resolve that) and I have no more to say. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
[Post edited 5 Jul 11:28]
General Election Thread on 11:23 - Jul 5 with 941 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 11:20 - Jul 5 by The_Beast1976

Conversely, how can it be wrong and inaccurate (as you allege) when (as you rightly say) I'm making a future prediction? It can be neither accurate nor inaccurate, right nor wrong, until the future has happened.

However, we can say with certainty that it is not awful. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

That statement should be aimed at Sheffield as it was he and not me that made those comments. I said it was awful.
General Election Thread on 11:26 - Jul 5 with 893 viewsBluce_Ree

General Election Thread on 11:18 - Jul 5 by dmm

I don't really give a f**k but I get why people are islamophobic in some sense. They've not got a great public image and taken to the extreme you end up with Afghanistan where basically life is hell. It's easy to be a bit worried about that. And that's what Farage wants. In fact, scrap that, Farage doesn't really care. He just wants influence and money.

But equally if someone is going to break into my house, steal my car, stamp on my head on a night out or on the way home from footie, be a dickhead neighbour, run me over with their motorbike while they speed down the high street, have seven dosser kids that then come and f**k with my neighbourhood etc, they're probably going to be white. Doesn't mean I'm going to vote for the Black Panther Party of Kill All Crackers.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

General Election Thread on 11:28 - Jul 5 with 850 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 11:15 - Jul 5 by dmm

Are you ok?

General Election Thread on 11:29 - Jul 5 with 841 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Genuinely curious why you felt the need to label this is an awful comment? I recently had a mandatory Islamophobia course at work (preceeded by a mandatory Anti-Semitism course) and the presenter, a British Muslim, openly said pretty much exactly the same thing in terms of what percentage of the country will be Muslim in 20 years, and that they would be the deciding vote in all future elections as if necessary they will vote along sectarian lines to get what they want.

I didn't read anything malicious in Beast's comment, and it wasn't more awful than let's say openly admitting to celebrating the death of a human being which I saw on another thread - yet no response from yourself labelling that an awful comment.
[Post edited 5 Jul 13:35]
General Election Thread on 11:31 - Jul 5 with 802 viewsBucksRanger

General Election Thread on 11:26 - Jul 5 by Bluce_Ree

I don't really give a f**k but I get why people are islamophobic in some sense. They've not got a great public image and taken to the extreme you end up with Afghanistan where basically life is hell. It's easy to be a bit worried about that. And that's what Farage wants. In fact, scrap that, Farage doesn't really care. He just wants influence and money.

But equally if someone is going to break into my house, steal my car, stamp on my head on a night out or on the way home from footie, be a dickhead neighbour, run me over with their motorbike while they speed down the high street, have seven dosser kids that then come and f**k with my neighbourhood etc, they're probably going to be white. Doesn't mean I'm going to vote for the Black Panther Party of Kill All Crackers.

" Farage doesn't really care. He just wants influence and money."

Doesn't that statement apply to all politicians whatever their political party?
General Election Thread on 11:31 - Jul 5 with 797 viewsBrianMcCarthy

General Election Thread on 11:20 - Jul 5 by The_Beast1976

Do me a favour.

Islamaphobic - "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against Islam or people who practice Islam"

I have no fear or aversion to or discrimination against Islam, nor any other religion in fact. What I do have is an immense dislike for all religion; therefore, if I see any particular religious group gaining more power and influence I will speak up against it. That is my right.

Anyway, I'm dismayed by the way this country is headed (the election results today do noting to resolve that) and I have no more to say. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
[Post edited 5 Jul 11:28]

To be fair, Beast, that post is a bit different to your original post. It did appear to me at least that your problem was specifically with Muslims and not with all religions.

I agree that the ideal would be that all Governments were secular and that Church and state should always be seperated.

Either way, at the last census only 6% of the population identified as Muslim. Britain may elect a Muslim as PM, but I can't see an Islamic Government with Islamic laws on the horizon.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

General Election Thread on 11:38 - Jul 5 with 730 viewsBucksRanger

General Election Thread on 11:31 - Jul 5 by BrianMcCarthy

To be fair, Beast, that post is a bit different to your original post. It did appear to me at least that your problem was specifically with Muslims and not with all religions.

I agree that the ideal would be that all Governments were secular and that Church and state should always be seperated.

Either way, at the last census only 6% of the population identified as Muslim. Britain may elect a Muslim as PM, but I can't see an Islamic Government with Islamic laws on the horizon.

Nor could the Shah of Iran, Brian, and look what happened to him and his country.

I've lived in a muslim country and there are a lot of things that you have to forego to fit in with the muslim community. They are not easy to get along with.
General Election Thread on 11:45 - Jul 5 with 656 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 11:31 - Jul 5 by BrianMcCarthy

In 2001 it was only 3%. Today it is closer to 7%.

By 2050 it will be?......

The people who don't give a toss about this stuff are the leftist-white people with 0 children.

General Election Thread on 11:45 - Jul 5 with 662 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 11:31 - Jul 5 by BucksRanger

" Farage doesn't really care. He just wants influence and money."

Doesn't that statement apply to all politicians whatever their political party?

No, I don’t think so. The 2019 version of the Tories were particularly awful and some MPs absolutely are in it as a bit of a gravy train and some of the opportunities the role creates but I think most people still enter politics for the right reasons.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024