Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Linford Christie Stadium. 18:04 - Aug 9 with 126336 viewsted_hendrix

That's where our new ground will be.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:39 - Aug 8 with 4678 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:26 - Aug 8 by Hoopstar

Truly am envious of Brighton - an example of how to go about it right. I don't live too far away from the Amex, bit out of the way but has good transport links and is a great stadium in my opinion.

Only 20 or so years since we had the Andy Thomson/Bobby Zamora top scorer showdown in League One. How far Brighton have come in the interim period, admittedly with very little other local competition, further highlights our own failings as a club.

I'm certainly critical of the clown show's approach to acquiring a new ground over the last decade but that figure is staggering - £595m. You see Brighton shirts all over Sussex now too. Just goes to show what's possible - H&F Council should hang their heads in shame.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2023 11:40]
Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:44 - Aug 8 with 4649 viewsHayesender

Funny lot down here in Sussex. Man utd, Liverpool, and Chelsea shirts everywhere, yet when Brighton were in the semi final a few months ago, they all seemed to swap their shirts to Brighton for the day.

Even the man utd lot, and they were playing them. Fcking weird

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Linford Christie Stadium. on 12:00 - Aug 8 with 4542 viewsA40Bosh

Linford Christie Stadium. on 12:53 - Jul 23 by dutch

God I hope not. I support a London team not one in the boondocks. Have no idea how to get to Ruislip and don't want to find out. That would be like leaving Mayfair to live in Macclesfield. In W12 we stay. (O maybe W111. Or 10)

I know it was probably meant in jest but getting to “Ruislip” will be the least of your problems.

One of the best served areas of ‘west London’ in terms of public transport.
Central Line to one of 3 Ruislip based stations within 18 mins from White City.
Met and Piccadilly lines out to Eastcote, Ruislip Manor, Ruislip stations. You also have the Chiltern line from Marylebone calling at two Ruislip stations.

And then there are the many bus services.

As I said that will be the least of your problems. You think LBH&F are difficult to deal with, wait until you take on LB Hillingdon for planning.

Anyway we have our own local team in Ruislip Manor now who will be in League Two in a few years and we won’t want you cockney yobs moving your tin pot club out to Middlesex darling. (Just practicing for when I lose the plot when we get relegated and start supporting Wealdstone next season)

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:02 - Aug 8 with 4368 viewsNewBee

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:13 - Aug 8 by Wegerles_Stairs

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/3621049/albions-595m-contribution-to-

Thanks for posting. Personally I'm always a bit unsure about some of these figures - difficult to quantify a lot of the time - even if the overall picture may be reasonable enough.

One stat really stood out for me:
"Last season 54,000 visitors from overseas were among the 600,000 people who watched games at the American Express Stadium."

I know that a lot of people at London club games come from overseas - visiting on holiday or in town on business etc, as well as flying in specifically for a game(s). But Brighton? Nearly one in ten of all fans?

Unless they are also counting foreign nationals who are actually resident in Brighton, or live nearby, or are away fans etc? (That is, following a simple survey asking attendees what their nationality is, without specifying where they actually reside).

Anyhow, I know that Brentford get quite a few overseas fans, while any time I've been to Spurs with a mate, I'm always struck by how many overseas fans - Koreans alone must make up a good few per cent - the "Son Effect"!

While I always think Fulham get quite a few overseas/visitors/neutrals etc, not least because their games don't always sell out very quickly, meaning tickets aren't quite so hard to come by. I imagine WHU might be similar, what with having 60k+ tickets to shift?
[Post edited 8 Aug 2023 13:06]
Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:15 - Aug 8 with 4284 viewsted_hendrix

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:02 - Aug 8 by NewBee

Thanks for posting. Personally I'm always a bit unsure about some of these figures - difficult to quantify a lot of the time - even if the overall picture may be reasonable enough.

"Last season 54,000 visitors from overseas were among the 600,000 people who watched games at the American Express Stadium."

I know that a lot of people at London club games come from overseas - visiting on holiday or in town on business etc, as well as flying in specifically for a game(s). But Brighton? Nearly one in ten of all fans?

Unless they are also counting foreign nationals who are actually resident in Brighton, or live nearby, or are away fans etc? (That is, following a simple survey asking attendees what their nationality is, without specifying where they actually reside).

Anyhow, I know that Brentford get quite a few overseas fans, while any time I've been to Spurs with a mate, I'm always struck by how many overseas fans - Koreans alone must make up a good few per cent - the "Son Effect"!

While I always think Fulham get quite a few overseas/visitors/neutrals etc, not least because their games don't always sell out very quickly, meaning tickets aren't quite so hard to come by. I imagine WHU might be similar, what with having 60k+ tickets to shift?

We had loads of Koreans dotted around the lower loft when we were last In the Prem.

They used to get on my bloody nerves with they're stupid little flags and the only reason they were at LR was because we had some Korean player who when selected used to stand around a lot whilst probably drawing a weekly wage of circa £60k. I think his name was Park and Ride or similar, either way he was shyte.

They soon f ucked off when we got relegated.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:34 - Aug 8 with 4167 viewsRs_Holy

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:15 - Aug 8 by ted_hendrix

We had loads of Koreans dotted around the lower loft when we were last In the Prem.

They used to get on my bloody nerves with they're stupid little flags and the only reason they were at LR was because we had some Korean player who when selected used to stand around a lot whilst probably drawing a weekly wage of circa £60k. I think his name was Park and Ride or similar, either way he was shyte.

my personal favourite was that seasons FA Cup humiliation (it was the McDons that year). I think most season ticket holders didn't bother getting FA Cup tickets so the Ellerslie Road Stand had hundreds of Park fans in it.
Lots of girls screaming every time he touched the ball ... and that was just in the warm up.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2023 13:52]
Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:35 - Aug 8 with 4165 viewsloftboy

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:15 - Aug 8 by ted_hendrix

I upset a couple in the west Paddock Ted, we were losing at half time and it was announced he was coming on, lady next to me started to shriek and scream, I said “ what are you so happy about he’s fûcking shit” she said I disrespected a national hero, to which I replied “whilst he’s wearing Blue and white hoops he has to have talent which he doesn’t anymore , his legs have one and he’s stealing a living”

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:40 - Aug 8 with 4102 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:02 - Aug 8 by NewBee

Oh I agree that figures like this are massaged but I'm sure there is a huge economic benefit to the area from the AmEx, which H&F Council clearly aren't bothered about. I disagree with our approach (hoping to get a stadium for free) but it's pretty shocking this has been dragging on for more than a decade now.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2023 13:43]
Login to get fewer ads

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:44 - Aug 8 with 4108 viewsHayesender

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:35 - Aug 8 by loftboy

I upset a couple in the west Paddock Ted, we were losing at half time and it was announced he was coming on, lady next to me started to shriek and scream, I said “ what are you so happy about he’s fûcking shit” she said I disrespected a national hero, to which I replied “whilst he’s wearing Blue and white hoops he has to have talent which he doesn’t anymore , his legs have one and he’s stealing a living”

I upset a load in the east paddock one evening cup game. They were all screeching and wailing like beatles fans on speed. During a lull in their noise, I stood up and shouted "Ji sun park". They all looked round at me grinning, so I finished off my sentence.

"Hes fcking shite"

I've never seen grins turn to angry frowns so quickly. I thought I was gonna get a flying kick to the head.

As shite as we are now, I never wanna go back to those dark days

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Linford Christie Stadium. on 14:32 - Aug 8 with 3883 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Linford Christie Stadium. on 12:53 - Jul 23 by dutch

God I hope not. I support a London team not one in the boondocks. Have no idea how to get to Ruislip and don't want to find out. That would be like leaving Mayfair to live in Macclesfield. In W12 we stay. (O maybe W111. Or 10)

Au contraire. Moving from White City to Ruislip would be more like leaving Macclesfield to live in Mayfair.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 14:37 - Aug 8 with 3835 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Linford Christie Stadium. on 11:39 - Aug 8 by Wegerles_Stairs

I'm certainly critical of the clown show's approach to acquiring a new ground over the last decade but that figure is staggering - £595m. You see Brighton shirts all over Sussex now too. Just goes to show what's possible - H&F Council should hang their heads in shame.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2023 11:40]

H&F won't miss us as they already have Chelsea and Fulham. We'd be far better off in an alternative borough.

As for Brighton, it wasn't that long ago I thought the temporary structure at the Withdean Stadium was going to collapse when Matthew Rose scored that last minute winner. They've come a long way in a short time.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 14:49 - Aug 8 with 3740 viewsJuzzie

Linford Christie Stadium. on 13:40 - Aug 8 by Wegerles_Stairs

Oh I agree that figures like this are massaged but I'm sure there is a huge economic benefit to the area from the AmEx, which H&F Council clearly aren't bothered about. I disagree with our approach (hoping to get a stadium for free) but it's pretty shocking this has been dragging on for more than a decade now.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2023 13:43]

Luton have been trying since the 1950's and will finally move in a few years time. Brighton took 15+ years at least, maybe longer, Brentford was a long time too.
Arsenal & Spurs weren't exactly quick either.
Not saying it's good but a decade seems to be nothing these days as to how long it all takes.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 15:00 - Aug 8 with 3655 viewsslmrstid

Linford Christie Stadium. on 14:49 - Aug 8 by Juzzie

Luton have been trying since the 1950's and will finally move in a few years time. Brighton took 15+ years at least, maybe longer, Brentford was a long time too.
Arsenal & Spurs weren't exactly quick either.
Not saying it's good but a decade seems to be nothing these days as to how long it all takes.

And of course there are some clubs out there who have been trying to move for decades and still haven't done it with no sign of it changing anytime soon (Bristol Rovers, for instance, as well as Southend United).
Linford Christie Stadium. on 15:09 - Aug 8 with 3568 viewsCateLeBonR

Linford Christie Stadium. on 15:00 - Aug 8 by slmrstid

And of course there are some clubs out there who have been trying to move for decades and still haven't done it with no sign of it changing anytime soon (Bristol Rovers, for instance, as well as Southend United).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-65205959
Linford Christie Stadium. on 16:03 - Aug 8 with 3318 viewskensalriser

Can we all just accept now this isn't happening under current ownership?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Linford Christie Stadium. on 16:22 - Aug 8 with 3217 viewsEsox_Lucius

Linford Christie Stadium. on 19:08 - Jul 30 by QPRConor2000

ULEZ will end up not lasting long, or end up being deemed unenforceable, many wont pay it and it will end up going down the way of the poll tax.

As for the stadium, I could see Ealing/Acton perhaps being the area we settle on, I think options next to W12 should be considered if there are any possible sites.

Poll tax didn't go away, it became Council tax. What grounds do you have to state that the ULEZ charge will disappear? the central grant is dependent upon it being in place.

The grass is always greener.

Linford Christie Stadium. on 16:52 - Aug 8 with 2983 viewsstevec

Linford Christie Stadium. on 16:03 - Aug 8 by kensalriser

Can we all just accept now this isn't happening under current ownership?

We may not get the Linford Christie stadium but there’s a fair to middling chance we’ll be playing on Wormwood Scrubs.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 16:54 - Aug 8 with 2972 viewsslmrstid

Linford Christie Stadium. on 15:09 - Aug 8 by CateLeBonR

Fair enough, haven't seen that, but could still be a long way off reality!
Linford Christie Stadium. on 16:58 - Aug 8 with 2935 viewsstowmarketrange

Linford Christie Stadium. on 15:09 - Aug 8 by CateLeBonR

They might be playing on the old Bristol fruit market site,but after Saturday’s display we should look at getting somewhere more connected with vegetables.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 20:38 - Aug 8 with 2531 viewsderbyhoop

Linford Christie Stadium. on 23:09 - Jul 25 by NewBee

"... we need control to generate non-matchday revenues etc"

No offence, but out of all the new stadia which have been built, or substantially re-built, in the post Taylor Report era, how many actually do generate significant non-matchday revenues?

We keep hearing fans talk about this (not just QPR), but unless someone can demonstrate to me otherwise, I don't believe it actually happens very much, if at all*.

* - OK, I'll give you Spurs - easy enough if you've a billion quid to spare.

Pride Park and Leicester definitely do.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Linford Christie Stadium. on 21:36 - Aug 8 with 2409 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I read in a local residents' magazine a few years back, that there is either an application or even permission, for a 'football stadium' on the old Butler's Warehouse site in Greenford...sorry, Greenford Quay as the area must now be called!

Given the horrendous traffic that development in the area has caused, coupled with the hundreds of supermarket delivery vans flying around, it would be a mare to drive to. The two closest stations would need revamping, and there are no decent pubs, eateries etc. within a fair radius.

Personally, I think it would be a disaster in the making and to what end the area would be one to generate huge cash revenues from, is a hard to say. That said, who'd have thought residents would be sipping Starbucks coffees under their three-quarters of a mill shoeboxes waiting for the new gin distillery bar to open.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Linford Christie Stadium. on 09:28 - Aug 9 with 2082 viewskernowhoop

Linford Christie Stadium. on 21:36 - Aug 8 by PlanetHonneywood

I read in a local residents' magazine a few years back, that there is either an application or even permission, for a 'football stadium' on the old Butler's Warehouse site in Greenford...sorry, Greenford Quay as the area must now be called!

Given the horrendous traffic that development in the area has caused, coupled with the hundreds of supermarket delivery vans flying around, it would be a mare to drive to. The two closest stations would need revamping, and there are no decent pubs, eateries etc. within a fair radius.

Personally, I think it would be a disaster in the making and to what end the area would be one to generate huge cash revenues from, is a hard to say. That said, who'd have thought residents would be sipping Starbucks coffees under their three-quarters of a mill shoeboxes waiting for the new gin distillery bar to open.

I left Greenford in 1953.
Has it changed?
Linford Christie Stadium. on 09:35 - Aug 9 with 2022 viewsstowmarketrange

Linford Christie Stadium. on 09:28 - Aug 9 by kernowhoop

I left Greenford in 1953.
Has it changed?

My mum was born in Greenford in 1924 and she said it was like a little village back in those days.Now it’s just another suburb off the A40.
Linford Christie Stadium. on 10:21 - Aug 9 with 1910 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Linford Christie Stadium. on 09:35 - Aug 9 by stowmarketrange

My mum was born in Greenford in 1924 and she said it was like a little village back in those days.Now it’s just another suburb off the A40.

With a quay and, in all probability, a vacuous gin Palace opening shortly to accompany the most ghastly Starbucks of all their ghastlyness.

Where i grew up and I pop back regularly to see Ma PH. Yes, it's changed in many ways and yet in others, it remains as ever: neither here nor there!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Linford Christie Stadium. on 12:12 - Aug 9 with 1770 viewsSydneyRs

Linford Christie Stadium. on 20:38 - Aug 8 by derbyhoop

Pride Park and Leicester definitely do.

One club towns, very different story to trying to do this in London.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024