Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How good are we? 13:15 - Oct 6 with 7065 viewsSnipper

Apologies if this has been discussed already.

Seeing as we haven't played a team in the current top 10 in the Championship, just how good are we? How will we fare when we get tested?

At least we're not dropping too many points vs the lesser teams.
How good are we? on 22:36 - Oct 6 with 1569 viewsisawqpratwcity

How good are we? on 16:36 - Oct 6 by essextaxiboy

Correct ........... IMO

The question was aimed at Neil who appeared to be hedging his bets .
[Post edited 6 Oct 2013 16:37]

Tbh, I'm still hedging my bets.

Harry seems to have settled on a a 451 formation and it is working better than the 442 he tried earlier.

Even with the need for only one out-and-out striker, we still have no fit back-up of proven quality. Besides, our attack has never looked really killer-type dangerous all season.

But on the plus side, the defense and mid-field are usually playing very well, and are allowing Green to perform well by keeping the pressure off him.

So, we are getting very good results, in spite of never hitting top gear. Even better, on paper you'd have to think that the team's playing is only going to improve.

So, while the wheels might still fall off, I have to concede that it is looking less and less likely.

(I'll still feel a lot better when AJ is back fit, though.)

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

How good are we? on 23:42 - Oct 6 with 1532 viewsMelakaRanger

In 45 years of supporting QPR, I always remember what my Granddad would say to me : ' the table never lies'

We are a good team this season, not yet 'great' but most certainly a very good Championship team, in fact the best in this league

Will this team win automatic promotion? Most likely.

Would this team survive in the Premiership? Just about

I this team better than our last Championship winning team? Yes
How good are we? on 00:16 - Oct 7 with 1499 viewsEalingRanger

How good are we? on 23:42 - Oct 6 by MelakaRanger

In 45 years of supporting QPR, I always remember what my Granddad would say to me : ' the table never lies'

We are a good team this season, not yet 'great' but most certainly a very good Championship team, in fact the best in this league

I'm not sure it's a better team than our last championship winners. When this one beats fellow promotion challengers with ten men then I might buy it to that kind of thinking. Arry's team isn't as entertaining as 2010/11 yet either.
How good are we? on 00:24 - Oct 7 with 1494 viewstimcocking

Pretty good, getting better.
How good are we? on 07:51 - Oct 7 with 1456 viewsJonDoeman

How good are we? on 22:23 - Oct 6 by QPRDave

Forest are asking the same question
http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38680

Some wishful thinking on that thread.

It Is What It Is !!

How good are we? on 08:18 - Oct 7 with 1445 viewsthame_hoops

This 'not beating any of the top 10' is bollox. If we'd have lost to Leeds, boro and Brighton, they'd all be in the top 10 with the extra points they gained
How good are we? on 08:19 - Oct 7 with 1443 viewsYorkRanger

People keep saying we haven't beaten any top ten teams but Leeds and Ipswich would both be top 10 had they beaten us.

With three away games coming up I suspect we wil know much more at the end of October.
How good are we? on 08:29 - Oct 7 with 1429 viewsLoft1979

How good are we? on 16:10 - Oct 6 by WeaverQPR

Not sure why people are hung up on this beating top 10 sides, you can only beat what is in front of you and so far we have done. at the time Bolton and Leeds on paper looked tough fixtures, its not our fault their shit now.

Login to get fewer ads

How good are we? on 08:30 - Oct 7 with 1426 viewsLoft1979

How good are we? on 23:42 - Oct 6 by MelakaRanger

concur!
How good are we? on 08:52 - Oct 7 with 1411 viewsderbyhoop

How good are we? on 16:10 - Oct 6 by WeaverQPR

Not sure why people are hung up on this beating top 10 sides, you can only beat what is in front of you and so far we have done. at the time Bolton and Leeds on paper looked tough fixtures, its not our fault their shit now.

On the contrary, those 2 clubs look worse than was expected. Partly that is because we were one of the sides that beat them.
When you've only played 11 games like the majority of the division, one defeat, especially at home, can have a major impact on your position.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How good are we? on 09:04 - Oct 7 with 1401 viewsSomersetHoops

It seems many people are forgetting games we didn't deserve to win I can think of more than one, but the Yeovil game stands out. We have been lucky a few times and if our luck runs out some results will go against us. Although there is no substitute for points on the board, I think its too soon to say we will win the division, or that we are better than the team that won it last time.

Even though we won convincingly on Saturday and performed well, we are missing the flashes of brilliance and excitement that we had in the Championship under Warnock. I will be very surprised if we don't at least make the play-offs this season, which is much higher than I expected at the start, but lets not get carried away and realise that our points total does not reflect what some of our performances so far deserve. Having said that, our last two games have been a big improvement, but the sternest tests are yet to come.

Who's Next?

How good are we? on 09:36 - Oct 7 with 1385 viewsQPRDave

How good are we? on 09:04 - Oct 7 by SomersetHoops

It seems many people are forgetting games we didn't deserve to win I can think of more than one, but the Yeovil game stands out. We have been lucky a few times and if our luck runs out some results will go against us. Although there is no substitute for points on the board, I think its too soon to say we will win the division, or that we are better than the team that won it last time.

Even though we won convincingly on Saturday and performed well, we are missing the flashes of brilliance and excitement that we had in the Championship under Warnock. I will be very surprised if we don't at least make the play-offs this season, which is much higher than I expected at the start, but lets not get carried away and realise that our points total does not reflect what some of our performances so far deserve. Having said that, our last two games have been a big improvement, but the sternest tests are yet to come.

I don't see any games we didn't deserve to win tbh. If we score more goals than the oppo then we deserved to win. The Yeovil game for eg......A football team consists of 4 different skill sets, and the better players you can put in these positions the better the team you have in theory. On the occasion of the Yeovil game Rob Green's performance earned us the win.
A deserved win
How good are we? on 09:45 - Oct 7 with 1383 viewsdaveB

We'll know how good we are by the end of November after we face some very tough away games. If we can come through them and still be in the top two then you'd have to fancy us to go up. At the moment I still think we are among 5 teams who if they avoid key injuries any of them could win the title.
How good are we? on 09:56 - Oct 7 with 1376 viewsQPR442

I have read the Forest quotes and most seem pretty reasonable.
However
Other teams posters seem to spout the same old rubbish, 'Alright at the moment but once the Fulham job comes up he will be off'. All I would say to that is any manager could leave any club and not just ours.

And
'they haven't played anyone yet'
All I would say to that is how did any of the top 8 let Barnsley or Boro score past them? Forest actually drew 2-2 with Barnsley?
Seriously never once did they even look like scoring past us yet they managed it with the 'top 8'.
How good are we? on 10:08 - Oct 7 with 1367 viewssimmo

We are joint top and not got out of 2nd gear bar perhaps Boro game. I ge the impression that we can ramp things up when we feel we need to, hence how we have come back from conceding or doing just enough to get the winning goal at certain points of the game.

I think when it comes to playing the 'better' teams we will step up and relish the challenge. With the options we have to hurt teams and the progression of the squad and playing style in the last few games, I think we will stay in and around the top 6 indefinitely.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

How good are we? on 10:17 - Oct 7 with 1347 viewsQPRDave

All this we haven't played anyone good is b*llocks imo
Here are some results this season
Charlton 2-1 Leicester
Brighton 2-0 Burnley
Burnley 1-1 Bolton
Doncaster 1-0 Leicester
Now surely Leicester and Burnley should've beat these teams above.?
This league is hard and so far we have dealt with whats been put in front of us, which is more than can be said for those above.
How good are we? on 10:22 - Oct 7 with 1338 viewsTacticalR

It's not that we haven't played anyone good, it's that we haven't played anyone in the current top 10. Which is a bit spooky.

Air hostess clique

How good are we? on 10:24 - Oct 7 with 1335 viewsElHoop

We are a work in progress as they say, but we deserve to be in the top 2 at the moment. If there are better teams to play than we've faced so far then I think that we have a bit left in the tank to deal with them. The clean sheet record is something that i think they'll want to continue and that might to some extent influence our tactics whichever way we are set up to play. Let's face it, if you don't concede goals then you aren't going to lose many.
How good are we? on 10:33 - Oct 7 with 1331 viewsMaggsinho

How good are we? on 10:22 - Oct 7 by TacticalR

It's not that we haven't played anyone good, it's that we haven't played anyone in the current top 10. Which is a bit spooky.

If we'd lost to any of Boro, Brighton, Leeds, Huddersfield or Ipswich they would be top 10 at the moment. As others have said one defeat can have a big impact on the placings at the moment.
How good are we? on 10:38 - Oct 7 with 1325 viewsjonno

How good are we? on 09:45 - Oct 7 by daveB

We'll know how good we are by the end of November after we face some very tough away games. If we can come through them and still be in the top two then you'd have to fancy us to go up. At the moment I still think we are among 5 teams who if they avoid key injuries any of them could win the title.

I'd agree with that but I think we have easily the strongest squad in the division and therefore have the most ability to cope with the inevitable injuries/suspensions etc. My only real worry - given average luck with injuries - would be Austin being unavailable. I don't think we have anyone else who can play the lone striker role really.
How good are we? on 10:43 - Oct 7 with 1314 viewsdaveB

How good are we? on 10:38 - Oct 7 by jonno

I'd agree with that but I think we have easily the strongest squad in the division and therefore have the most ability to cope with the inevitable injuries/suspensions etc. My only real worry - given average luck with injuries - would be Austin being unavailable. I don't think we have anyone else who can play the lone striker role really.

The bonus we have is that is Austin gets injured we have money to go and sign someone else, We are in a great position but it's still very early in the season, I've seen us fall apart so many times before it's hard to feel overly confident.
How good are we? on 10:49 - Oct 7 with 1304 viewssimmo

How good are we? on 10:22 - Oct 7 by TacticalR

Maybe they are not in the top 10 because we have beaten them?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

How good are we? (n/t) on 11:15 - Oct 7 with 1279 viewssteveB66

How good are we? on 17:23 - Oct 6 by Neil_SI

I don't really do predictions, and to be honest, I don't really care where we finish either other than saying wherever we do end up is likely to be what we deserve.

So long as we see progression in the performances and the football, and that has the right identity and culture that we expect and enjoy at the club, then I'll be happy. That's the starting point for me, and once I'm convinced that's properly in place, then I'll worry about other things. The last couple of performances have been a great step forward for us.

But let's take a hypothetical situation, and say we won 1-0 pretty much every week, but with the majority of those performances like those at the beginning of this season, I'd ask myself, is that the right type of progression and preparation for Premier League football?

It's always about finding the right balance. This early in the season, it's fine to stabilise and grind it out, but once you realise that most of the team's can't hurt us due to the level, then it opens up a chance to really work on key areas in performance and development that can help aid us in the future, whatever division we're in.

Doing that will also test our defence just a little more, and they'll need that challenge too, because it's all a bit easy for them at the moment.

I liken this situation to say Manchester City. They've bought so many World Class players or whatever over the years, which is fine, because they can bulldozer their way through many teams, a lot who just come and sit behind the ball and make life difficult.

City will still win most of the time, but is this the best preparation for them? No not really. Because when they come to face real proper teams, like those in Europe, they suddenly do not have enough practice to deal with situations when the game is much more even and they're suddenly having to do things that they've not had to do in many of the games they've faced.

And when they do get challenged in those moments, it's doubly worse, because those who are challenging are at the top end of their play.

People will laugh at Manchester United's situation, or even wonder how they walked the league so easily last season, but it's because they have the right balance in their squad. They are challenged defensively and offensively in every match. They can practice all the elements they need and adapt to the opponents to suit their strengths as a result. Doesn't work out all the time of course, but it's something a lot of the big teams don't always realise is wrong with their approach.

[Post edited 7 Oct 2013 11:17]
How good are we? on 11:54 - Oct 7 with 1248 viewsessextaxiboy

How good are we? on 00:16 - Oct 7 by EalingRanger

I'm not sure it's a better team than our last championship winners. When this one beats fellow promotion challengers with ten men then I might buy it to that kind of thinking. Arry's team isn't as entertaining as 2010/11 yet either.

Its a miles better team than the promotion one was.

We got promoted by one player Taraabt . he dominated almost every team scoring and assisting .

The promotion although hugely enjoyable was built on sand , we needed almost a whole team and we all know the rest.

Who of the team that turned out on Sat could not play in the Prem , maybe Clint ? . Who knows about Austin ? apart from that all of them IMO
How good are we? on 12:00 - Oct 7 with 1245 viewsElHoop

How good are we? on 11:54 - Oct 7 by essextaxiboy

Its a miles better team than the promotion one was.

We got promoted by one player Taraabt . he dominated almost every team scoring and assisting .

The promotion although hugely enjoyable was built on sand , we needed almost a whole team and we all know the rest.

Who of the team that turned out on Sat could not play in the Prem , maybe Clint ? . Who knows about Austin ? apart from that all of them IMO

Agreed, this team is built on better foundations and is generally better. A proper defence for a start. We've better options in midfield. We just need more goals and less injuries would help in that respect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024