Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? 18:12 - Aug 9 with 62281 views_

First things first, this is very much purposefully an over-reacting post.

Secondly and perhaps the most important thing. Monk needs to cut out this air of arrogance he's coming across with. The way he talked about getting back to the Swansea way and pretty much disrespecting Laudrup in the process is starting to make him look a bit silly, naive and out of his depth.

WTF is this 442 nonsense? WTF is Gylfi doing out on the right, but not just for half hour when it was clear to everyone it wasn't working, but no, for the whole game?

It's a bit much to expect a lot from Garry though, you know, a player without Premier League management experience and as it goes without any Premier League playing experience. The arrogance of the Board in appointing him is not just risky, it's pretty baffling really.

We've got one week to sort things out, there's an awful lot to do in that time coming off the back of the only friendly game I can ever remember where the team was boo'd off... And in fairness they deserved to be, or at least Monk did.

Pick the bones out of that.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 14:18 - Aug 11 with 1917 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 14:08 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

I'm not too worried about the bench as such - largely because we had Britton, Routs, Dyer, Emnes all missing which would change the look of the bench substantially.

On the Bony thing - when Gomis was bought I thought we were buying as a replacement to Michu. But then Siggy was bought.

Some of the mutterings about cost of training grounds etc has made me think that it may well be that he was bought because we assumed that Bony would go for say £20m ish. For pretty much the first time watching the team on Saturday, I thought that if I was in charge, I would sell him at that sort of price in order to bring in 3 quality players (defensive midfield, full back and new back up striker). I believe that the Chico transfer will fund a new centre back (or pretty close to it) so I don't count that.
Must say that one of the reasons I thought that was that Gomis is better than I imagined he might be. He looks a good player and well capable of leading the line (in some ways, because he seems a little quicker, he may be better suited to our style of play then Bony - (I think we look a bit more 'hoof' than before partly because we're trying to play to Bony).

The issue is that anyone watching on Saturday, would really be loathe to pay £20m for Bony - particularly since he misses 6 weeks of this season. He looked sluggish. Now that may well be because he is not up to speed yet after the World Cup, but for £20m most teams would expect a real game changer and he didn't look like that on Saturday at all. Don't get me wrong - I think he's great and love watching him, but for a team like Liverpool etc - not so sure.

The other option we have is loans - I know we were in for Atsu who has gone to Everton, but someone similar (or a couple) may be the answer if cash is tight. Not ideal, but at least it gets us where we need to be this season and we then think again next season.

Have to agree with most of that, apart from Gomis being brought in for Michu and the bench - we are very likely to "always" be without some first teamers to injury or suspension.

The squad depth is very fragile and the quality is very worrying.

There won't be any stadium expansion for a good while. Very poor summer.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:11 - Aug 11 with 1822 viewsShaky

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 13:46 - Aug 11 by _

There's a bigger problem than right back, Lisa, and a good summary from you in fairness... and that's the fact the 442 was Plan A. Kris o'Leary virtually said so on Radio Wales on Sat night. So with 6 days to go after that debacle, Monk - yep.... that Garry Monk, has to get them back in and start on a Plan B. Or in other words get back to what we know best.

Some things just haven't added up this summer and i'm fairly certain, Gomis wasn't brought in to play with Bony. I bet the board can't believe Bony is still with us and maybe, as a good mate of mine, alluded to earlier, is that we need Bony gone for decent money so we can bring in some other players. Maybe cashflow isn't as healthy as some may think.

Worse though is Monk thinking he can play everyone on the same park. He is showing his naivety and I worry that some of our players just wouldn't take too kindly to Monk benching them for the sake of our team and shape.

Talking of the bench - and the tour to the States - not going to be good enough for the EPL. Unbelievable bench compared to this time last year. How far backwards have we or are we falling here?

We are in a bit of a mess with a few days to go and working as hard as Monk has professed to do may just not be enough, I'm afraid.

The other obvious case where Monk has shown his inexperience/naivety is in overall squad management.

From interviews it is clear he has said to the players something like either back be 100% or you are free to leave/there's the door.

That has clearly backfired spectacularly.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:35 - Aug 11 with 1774 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:11 - Aug 11 by Shaky

The other obvious case where Monk has shown his inexperience/naivety is in overall squad management.

From interviews it is clear he has said to the players something like either back be 100% or you are free to leave/there's the door.

That has clearly backfired spectacularly.

He's not coming across well at all... i'd pack up giving interviews until he's gone on some kind of media-savvy course or something.

He needs to keep his feet on the ground and realise he'll need to be walking the walk very soon.

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:40 - Aug 11 with 1758 viewsTom1912

I actually thought Monk's man management would be an area he'd excel in, but I can't say I'm not concerned by how heavy handed his approach seems so far.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:40 - Aug 11 with 1758 viewsUplandsJack

Firstly I have to add that I agree with a lot that has been written here... I am deeply concerned for our prem survival if according to CoL, plan A is 442.
I've also now seen game online & Rangel is finished... Plain & simple! If we don't replace him we are in big trouble... It won't matter who's playing at CB, our shape will be pulled apart at the back time and again... I along with loads on here have been calling for a new RB & DM since before last season ended, yet with 5 days till we kick-off at utd we still have neither?!?!?
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:41 - Aug 11 with 1751 viewsShaky

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:35 - Aug 11 by _

He's not coming across well at all... i'd pack up giving interviews until he's gone on some kind of media-savvy course or something.

He needs to keep his feet on the ground and realise he'll need to be walking the walk very soon.

Agreed, but I think the problem I mentioned is substance rather than presentation.

It also explains why the club are inexplicably meekly letting players like Pablo and Chico go seemingly without any kind of fight or attempt to play hardball.

That would simply undermine Monk's authority in the dressing room, if the players have been told they can clear off if they don't like the new regime.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 16:47 - Aug 11 with 1680 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:40 - Aug 11 by UplandsJack

Firstly I have to add that I agree with a lot that has been written here... I am deeply concerned for our prem survival if according to CoL, plan A is 442.
I've also now seen game online & Rangel is finished... Plain & simple! If we don't replace him we are in big trouble... It won't matter who's playing at CB, our shape will be pulled apart at the back time and again... I along with loads on here have been calling for a new RB & DM since before last season ended, yet with 5 days till we kick-off at utd we still have neither?!?!?

I wouldn't write him completely off just yet.

Siggy was all over the shop on Saturday and exposed Rangel big time.

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:05 - Aug 11 with 1660 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 15:41 - Aug 11 by Shaky

Agreed, but I think the problem I mentioned is substance rather than presentation.

It also explains why the club are inexplicably meekly letting players like Pablo and Chico go seemingly without any kind of fight or attempt to play hardball.

That would simply undermine Monk's authority in the dressing room, if the players have been told they can clear off if they don't like the new regime.

Having got used to Martinez' energy and intelligence, Rodgers fantastic press rapport and media-savvyness, Laudrup's calm, educated and careful responses, I am very worried how Monk is coming across.

And if he's coming across like this to the press and to us in general, I guess he's not coming across much better to the players.

I was hoping Pep behind the scenes would maybe turn out to be the real jewel in the crown - surely he wouldn't have advised Monk to be fannying around with a 442 and cutting off his nose in spite of his face right, left and centre.

Login to get fewer ads

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:20 - Aug 11 with 1634 viewslondonlisa2001

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:05 - Aug 11 by _

Having got used to Martinez' energy and intelligence, Rodgers fantastic press rapport and media-savvyness, Laudrup's calm, educated and careful responses, I am very worried how Monk is coming across.

And if he's coming across like this to the press and to us in general, I guess he's not coming across much better to the players.

I was hoping Pep behind the scenes would maybe turn out to be the real jewel in the crown - surely he wouldn't have advised Monk to be fannying around with a 442 and cutting off his nose in spite of his face right, left and centre.

oh come on, I mean I know what you are getting at, but they all make mistakes in the early days.

It's all very well talking about Laudrup's educated and careful responses, but don't forget his early media cock ups as well - 'brown paper bags stuffed with money so that you don't lose' ring any bells?

Roberto had an easy ride because we weren't in the premier league so the media didn't give a toss, and who would forget Rodgers with his statement to Sunderland fans 'I bet you all couldn't wait to see us play and to see what the fuss is about' just prior to being comprehensively beaten by them away from home.

They all learn as they go along and don't get caught out in the same way again. It's just that time passes and the cock ups are forgotten as they will be with Monk.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:37 - Aug 11 with 1601 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:20 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

oh come on, I mean I know what you are getting at, but they all make mistakes in the early days.

It's all very well talking about Laudrup's educated and careful responses, but don't forget his early media cock ups as well - 'brown paper bags stuffed with money so that you don't lose' ring any bells?

Roberto had an easy ride because we weren't in the premier league so the media didn't give a toss, and who would forget Rodgers with his statement to Sunderland fans 'I bet you all couldn't wait to see us play and to see what the fuss is about' just prior to being comprehensively beaten by them away from home.

They all learn as they go along and don't get caught out in the same way again. It's just that time passes and the cock ups are forgotten as they will be with Monk.

I'm sorry but they all came across a lot more clued up and intelligent than Monk has done. Roberto didn't need an easy ride. He's just so worth listening to. Brown paper bags? Not worth reporting about and forgotten forever (apart from by you of course) and Rodgers, well, he made a point with that statement and backed it up with an excellent first season in charge.

But it's not all that; when our previous managers spoke the world wanted to listen. You can attempt to pick the bones, selectively, from them all, but you'd be missing the point. I know Garry has to start somewhere and he hasn't had an illustrious career to fall back on, but he's just not looking or sounding convincing as a Premier League manager with a difficult task ahead. When he was asked if clubs would be making a bid for Bony after Reading, he said "I don't care" - like he's some kind of football hard-baller.

Whatever he meant or is feeling, he's got to get his point across in a more measured and thoughtful manner. He's not Jack the Lad anymore and all this "Gaffer" bollox is cringeworthy. It's not worth an interview and he's just setting himself up for a big fall if you ask me.

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:46 - Aug 11 with 1571 viewsApeShit

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:20 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

Of course you are completely right when you say everyone has to learn as they go along, but the Premier League is not the place to do it.

Obviously it is a bit late now.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:53 - Aug 11 with 1548 viewslondonlisa2001

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:37 - Aug 11 by _

I'm sorry but they all came across a lot more clued up and intelligent than Monk has done. Roberto didn't need an easy ride. He's just so worth listening to. Brown paper bags? Not worth reporting about and forgotten forever (apart from by you of course) and Rodgers, well, he made a point with that statement and backed it up with an excellent first season in charge.

But it's not all that; when our previous managers spoke the world wanted to listen. You can attempt to pick the bones, selectively, from them all, but you'd be missing the point. I know Garry has to start somewhere and he hasn't had an illustrious career to fall back on, but he's just not looking or sounding convincing as a Premier League manager with a difficult task ahead. When he was asked if clubs would be making a bid for Bony after Reading, he said "I don't care" - like he's some kind of football hard-baller.

Whatever he meant or is feeling, he's got to get his point across in a more measured and thoughtful manner. He's not Jack the Lad anymore and all this "Gaffer" bollox is cringeworthy. It's not worth an interview and he's just setting himself up for a big fall if you ask me.

I undertand that you don't like him - that's fine. But you can't be selective about what they did and didn't say.

Laudrup's comment about bribes in Spain was not worth reporting about? Its was blown all over the media for the whole week (all these things only last until the next press conference).

Rodgers did indeed have a great season - we don't know yet what Monk's season will be like (you obviously don't think it'll go well and maybe it won't) but I am prepared to give him a chance.

And he may not have had an illustrious career compared to Laudrup (to be honest, who has) but it's a damn sight more impressive than Rodgers' playing career or Roberto's for that matter (he was great, but lower league great not Premier league great).

It would be nice if he becomes measured and thoughtful, not that I think he's particularly bad at the moment to be honest, but he's bound to make mistakes. A lot of managers are not great at it (even very experienced managers) and in some ways he makes me cringe an awful lot less than Brendan who only a week ago told the press that Van Gaal (Holland, Barcelona, Ajax etc etc etc) may find the premier league 'tough' - it was bloody ridiculous coming from someone whose experience is us, Reading and Watford.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:56 - Aug 11 with 1536 viewslondonlisa2001

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:46 - Aug 11 by ApeShit

Of course you are completely right when you say everyone has to learn as they go along, but the Premier League is not the place to do it.

Obviously it is a bit late now.

but neither Brendan nor Laudrup had any experience managing in the premier league before with us either?

It's almost like we are now talking as though Garry is a novice (which he is) compared to a line of super duper top notch premier league managers that we've had before (which we haven't). I mean Rodgers is now, but only because he learned with us - why can't Gary Monk do the same?
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:07 - Aug 11 with 1508 viewsOldjack

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:56 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

but neither Brendan nor Laudrup had any experience managing in the premier league before with us either?

It's almost like we are now talking as though Garry is a novice (which he is) compared to a line of super duper top notch premier league managers that we've had before (which we haven't). I mean Rodgers is now, but only because he learned with us - why can't Gary Monk do the same?

Spot on !theses tits are moaning about the guy that kept us comfortably up in the end ,which they all conveniently fail too mention , perhaps they're ginger haters

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:11 - Aug 11 with 1495 viewslondonlisa2001

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:07 - Aug 11 by Oldjack

Spot on !theses tits are moaning about the guy that kept us comfortably up in the end ,which they all conveniently fail too mention , perhaps they're ginger haters

I would genuinely class him as more 'strawberry blonde' than ginger ;-)

He certainly doesn't have Laudrup's hair though, which was second in magnificence only to his ability to thread a through ball.....
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:16 - Aug 11 with 1480 viewsOldjack

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:11 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

I would genuinely class him as more 'strawberry blonde' than ginger ;-)

He certainly doesn't have Laudrup's hair though, which was second in magnificence only to his ability to thread a through ball.....

he didn't look to clever in that suit on Saturday ,perhaps that's tipped the knobs over the edge

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:29 - Aug 11 with 1454 viewsLiberty

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:56 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

Both had management experience before dealing with the tough task of managing in the prem.

On another note, I can't quite believe all the negativity Angel has been getting for Saturdays match. He had very little help from Siggy. Can't remember last time so much has been expected from one player in a match, he was doing the job of 2 players - trying to give the only outlet down the right when getting forward and get back to cover.

There will be matches when Angel lets team down, Saturday wasn't one of them .

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:34 - Aug 11 with 1431 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:53 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

I undertand that you don't like him - that's fine. But you can't be selective about what they did and didn't say.

Laudrup's comment about bribes in Spain was not worth reporting about? Its was blown all over the media for the whole week (all these things only last until the next press conference).

Rodgers did indeed have a great season - we don't know yet what Monk's season will be like (you obviously don't think it'll go well and maybe it won't) but I am prepared to give him a chance.

And he may not have had an illustrious career compared to Laudrup (to be honest, who has) but it's a damn sight more impressive than Rodgers' playing career or Roberto's for that matter (he was great, but lower league great not Premier league great).

It would be nice if he becomes measured and thoughtful, not that I think he's particularly bad at the moment to be honest, but he's bound to make mistakes. A lot of managers are not great at it (even very experienced managers) and in some ways he makes me cringe an awful lot less than Brendan who only a week ago told the press that Van Gaal (Holland, Barcelona, Ajax etc etc etc) may find the premier league 'tough' - it was bloody ridiculous coming from someone whose experience is us, Reading and Watford.

Lisa,

You are missing the point in the main and selecting snippets from past managers past press conferences isn't justifying Monk's arrogant media persona.

Regardless of a complete non-story regarding Laudrup that affected the playing squad not a jot, it's the naive way Monk is coming across, choosing to sound all hard, arrogant and fair and friendly in the same breath isn't cutting the mustard.

Martinez was born to be a manager; during his playing days everyone knew Roberto would be ideal for management. He kept a dossier on all things football and acted like a shop steward for the players should they have any dealings with the club itself.

Rodgers was head-hunted by Mourinho - a pretty impressive fact based on his obvious knack at coaching players and getting ideas across. Regardless of the ins and outs of what a manager might say, overall the three predecessors to Monk have been exemplary in the main and that I'm sure always had a positive affect on the playing squad; perhaps until well into Laudrup's reign when we were probably too top-heavy on our Spanish contingent.

This has been the focus of the summer; why Garry Monk was involved in a training ground bust up and later was put in charge to get rid of them all is what's worrying me. We are in danger of losing our identity and we are managed by a complete rookie who hasn't got the time to cut his teeth and try out different persona's.

The very least we should expect from him now would be to say as little as in necessary to the press, think about the type of leading questions he is going to be asked and to put some thought and humility into his answers. This approach would be served well with the squad in general. I just really worry if things don't go well, Garry just won't have the tools to deal with the various fall-outs.

It's not that I don't like him, it's just that I can't get my head around why he had the job without anyone else being considered. This is a funny effing time for such a big gamble as that.

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:35 - Aug 11 with 1428 viewsAngelRangelQS

I thought Monk came across well in that guardian interview
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:38 - Aug 11 with 1413 viewsperchrockjack

So all in all we looked fooked and we ve not kicked off yet.

Hope its nowt to do with people wanting to justify their opinion that sacking the calm, educated Laudrup was simply wrong and that Monk becoming manager was also a mistake.

Its been said before that people want others to fail to look good on here. Good post/great post/bollocks post. Its of no importance .
Personally, I m still pleased we kick off in the Top LEAGUE as my opinion is that had the lack lustre, disinterested Dane stayed wed have already kicked off by now.

Ideally, I d have liked to have had players replaced before others were nobbed off and we have to trust Monk -whos been at the club for a while- believed they needed to be so nobbed off.

The players, thus nobbed off to Spain didn't seem to attract that many Prem LEAGUE clubs which tends to suggest they weren't as impressed as The Great Dane was.

All about opinions innit

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:42 - Aug 11 with 1395 viewsAngelRangelQS

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:38 - Aug 11 by perchrockjack

Hope its nowt to do with people wanting to justify their opinion that sacking the calm, educated Laudrup was simply wrong and that Monk becoming manager was also a mistake.

Its been said before that people want others to fail to look good on here. Good post/great post/bollocks post. Its of no importance .
Personally, I m still pleased we kick off in the Top LEAGUE as my opinion is that had the lack lustre, disinterested Dane stayed wed have already kicked off by now.

Ideally, I d have liked to have had players replaced before others were nobbed off and we have to trust Monk -whos been at the club for a while- believed they needed to be so nobbed off.

The players, thus nobbed off to Spain didn't seem to attract that many Prem LEAGUE clubs which tends to suggest they weren't as impressed as The Great Dane was.

All about opinions innit

Spain and Qatar
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:42 - Aug 11 with 1392 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:35 - Aug 11 by AngelRangelQS

He hasn't earned the right for a Guardian interview.

Generous with his time I think they said - time better spent elsewhere than telling the few that will read it that once he was called "Monks" and now will be called "Gaffer".

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:43 - Aug 11 with 1391 viewsDarran

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:35 - Aug 11 by AngelRangelQS

He does in all his interviews unless you've got an agenda of course.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:45 - Aug 11 with 1383 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:38 - Aug 11 by perchrockjack

All about opinions innit

Your opinion has always been, and will continue to be, trash. You are here for sad, comedic reasons only.

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:50 - Aug 11 with 1360 viewsskippyjack

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:43 - Aug 11 by Darran

He does in all his interviews unless you've got an agenda of course.

Honest, Straight talking.. no bullsh*t.. says it as it is..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024