Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? 18:12 - Aug 9 with 63331 views_

First things first, this is very much purposefully an over-reacting post.

Secondly and perhaps the most important thing. Monk needs to cut out this air of arrogance he's coming across with. The way he talked about getting back to the Swansea way and pretty much disrespecting Laudrup in the process is starting to make him look a bit silly, naive and out of his depth.

WTF is this 442 nonsense? WTF is Gylfi doing out on the right, but not just for half hour when it was clear to everyone it wasn't working, but no, for the whole game?

It's a bit much to expect a lot from Garry though, you know, a player without Premier League management experience and as it goes without any Premier League playing experience. The arrogance of the Board in appointing him is not just risky, it's pretty baffling really.

We've got one week to sort things out, there's an awful lot to do in that time coming off the back of the only friendly game I can ever remember where the team was boo'd off... And in fairness they deserved to be, or at least Monk did.

Pick the bones out of that.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:54 - Aug 11 with 1704 viewsA_Fans_Dad

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:42 - Aug 11 by _

He hasn't earned the right for a Guardian interview.

Generous with his time I think they said - time better spent elsewhere than telling the few that will read it that once he was called "Monks" and now will be called "Gaffer".

You cheeky ****, who the hell do you think you are to say he hasn't earned the right to an interview in a news rag.
He is a Football Manager whether you like it or him or not.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:54 - Aug 11 with 1704 viewslondonlisa2001

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:34 - Aug 11 by _

Lisa,

You are missing the point in the main and selecting snippets from past managers past press conferences isn't justifying Monk's arrogant media persona.

Regardless of a complete non-story regarding Laudrup that affected the playing squad not a jot, it's the naive way Monk is coming across, choosing to sound all hard, arrogant and fair and friendly in the same breath isn't cutting the mustard.

Martinez was born to be a manager; during his playing days everyone knew Roberto would be ideal for management. He kept a dossier on all things football and acted like a shop steward for the players should they have any dealings with the club itself.

Rodgers was head-hunted by Mourinho - a pretty impressive fact based on his obvious knack at coaching players and getting ideas across. Regardless of the ins and outs of what a manager might say, overall the three predecessors to Monk have been exemplary in the main and that I'm sure always had a positive affect on the playing squad; perhaps until well into Laudrup's reign when we were probably too top-heavy on our Spanish contingent.

This has been the focus of the summer; why Garry Monk was involved in a training ground bust up and later was put in charge to get rid of them all is what's worrying me. We are in danger of losing our identity and we are managed by a complete rookie who hasn't got the time to cut his teeth and try out different persona's.

The very least we should expect from him now would be to say as little as in necessary to the press, think about the type of leading questions he is going to be asked and to put some thought and humility into his answers. This approach would be served well with the squad in general. I just really worry if things don't go well, Garry just won't have the tools to deal with the various fall-outs.

It's not that I don't like him, it's just that I can't get my head around why he had the job without anyone else being considered. This is a funny effing time for such a big gamble as that.

I don't think I am missing your point - I just don't happen to agree that he comes across as arrogant or hard. I think he comes across as a little nervous, hence the 'wisecracks' but as being a reasonable man.

I have no idea whether or not anyone else was considered other than Monk. From the outside it doesn't appear that they were, but that's not to say what happened behind closed doors.

Look, if it had been me, I doubt that I would have picked Monk out of all available options. BUT, and this is the only thing where I think that I differ from some on here, I realise that I can't do anything whatsoever to change it, and I decided that I was prepared to see how Monk does before making my mind up on him. If he does badly (by which, I mean if we are doing badly in the league after 10-15 games or so, because to be frank I don't much care about media personas etc) then I will want and expect the Board to remove him.

What I believe, personally, to be unfair, is that a number of people, having decided at the time that they would have gone elsewhere for a manager, instead of taking the same decision as I did to wait and see, have decided instead to slag off everything that he does, however trivial, until such time as they are 'proved right'. It hasn't occurred to them possibly that Monk could turn our to be fantastic, and they'll never be proved right.

I know that you want the team to succeed as much as I do, and I don't take exception to anyone commenting on the team, players, or indeed Monk either, provided that it is reasonable (and even if it is not, my opinion is worth precisely the same as their is, no better, no worse). However, I genuinely believe that at the moment, people are so scared of what the future might bring under Monk (because they believe him to be the wrong choice) that they are slagging him off for absolutely everything, whether justified or not. In my mind, that undermines good points that are being made, and just looks like a grudge.

All I will end by saying is this. If we care so much about the team staying up and doing well, don't you think that the people who make decisions care even more? Because they are not just fans, but actually stand to lose millions if it goes wrong, so I don't believe that they would do that knowingly - as Phil said some time ago, whether right or wrong, you have to assume that they are doing what they believe to be best for the club, otherwise they are literally costing themselves an absolute fortune .
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:57 - Aug 11 with 1691 viewsAngelRangelQS

Generous with his time I think they said - time better spent elsewhere than telling the few that will read it that once he was called "Monks" and now will be called "Gaffer".

He's a manager of a premier league side so he will always be someone papers are keen to interview. It's true that there probably weren't many non swans fans getting excited about it but what was he supposed to do? Turn it down because he's not worthy of it?

Do you honestly think he couldn't spare 30 minutes to speak to a reporter? He could have done it in the car on the way home from training or in the bloody bath for all you know.

In some respects he was right. We've always thrived on being written off and maybe it's something we need as a club to motivate us and keep us going. Written off under Martinez in the championship, then Sousa, two seasons under Rodgers, Laudrups first season and we exceeded expectations in all them seasons.

I share some of the concerns. Maybe too many players have left, maybe he's been wrong to cut his nose off about canas, maybe we could have moved quicker for some players but there have been positives do far. I don't think he's had the easiest job in the world, there have obviously been things going on behind the scenes with a lot of the Spanish players, we've had some injuries and we've also lost a lot of players through no fault of his own.

I don't like the fact that he's being written off by so many so soon with very little justification so far. Surely he's done enough for the club to be given the benefit of the doubt for the time being?
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:00 - Aug 11 with 1674 viewsA_Fans_Dad

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:45 - Aug 11 by _

Your opinion has always been, and will continue to be, trash. You are here for sad, comedic reasons only.

Looking in the mirror when you said that then. LOL
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:00 - Aug 11 with 1673 viewsDarran

What a pr*ck. 😂

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:03 - Aug 11 with 1657 viewsUxbridge

How do you earn the right to be interviewed by the Grauniad? They're hardly bloody selective mun. Anyway, at least interviewing the youngest manager in the top flight is actually newsworthy!

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:05 - Aug 11 with 1646 viewsApeShit

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 17:56 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

but neither Brendan nor Laudrup had any experience managing in the premier league before with us either?

It's almost like we are now talking as though Garry is a novice (which he is) compared to a line of super duper top notch premier league managers that we've had before (which we haven't). I mean Rodgers is now, but only because he learned with us - why can't Gary Monk do the same?

What are you talking about?

That's exactly what i'm saying, they gained experience a little bit lower down the ladder. Rather than be handed a job managing in the biggest league in the world.

Brendan was coaching at Chelsea's youth academy and then reserve team, then stints at Watford and Reading.

[Post edited 11 Aug 2014 19:08]
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:11 - Aug 11 with 1621 viewsAngelRangelQS

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:05 - Aug 11 by ApeShit

That's exactly what i'm saying, they gained experience a little bit lower down the ladder. Rather than be handed a job managing in the biggest league in the world.

Brendan was coaching at Chelsea's youth academy and then reserve team, then stints at Watford and Reading.

I can't think of many managers off the top of my head who've managed in the prem with absolutely zero management or coaching experience whatsoever... Unless I'm being forgetful

Chris Coleman springs to mind as one
[Post edited 11 Aug 2014 19:12]
Login to get fewer ads

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:17 - Aug 11 with 1604 viewslondonlisa2001

oh - I misunderstood your post - I thought you were saying that you didn't want anyone learning how to be a premier league manager with us.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:20 - Aug 11 with 1591 viewslondonlisa2001

see - that's exactly the sort of comment that I was talking about by people refusing to give him a chance.

If the Guardian asked for an interview and he said no, then you would have criticised that. You're not, in my opinion, giving him any sort of a fair chance.

And - they may have said 'what do the players call you' and he answered, then 'what do you do if they call you Monks' - then he joked about fining them. What's he supposed to do?
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:22 - Aug 11 with 1579 viewsA_Fans_Dad

So, now managing the Youth team qualifies you as a Premiership Manager?
Watford and Reading were both in the Championship and when he transferred to Swansea they were one place from relegation.
The statement was correct, no Premiership Management experience.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:26 - Aug 11 with 1553 viewsApeShit

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:22 - Aug 11 by A_Fans_Dad

So, now managing the Youth team qualifies you as a Premiership Manager?
Watford and Reading were both in the Championship and when he transferred to Swansea they were one place from relegation.
The statement was correct, no Premiership Management experience.

I have no idea what tangent you have gone off on.

Try reading it again.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:27 - Aug 11 with 1548 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 18:54 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

I don't think I am missing your point - I just don't happen to agree that he comes across as arrogant or hard. I think he comes across as a little nervous, hence the 'wisecracks' but as being a reasonable man.

I have no idea whether or not anyone else was considered other than Monk. From the outside it doesn't appear that they were, but that's not to say what happened behind closed doors.

Look, if it had been me, I doubt that I would have picked Monk out of all available options. BUT, and this is the only thing where I think that I differ from some on here, I realise that I can't do anything whatsoever to change it, and I decided that I was prepared to see how Monk does before making my mind up on him. If he does badly (by which, I mean if we are doing badly in the league after 10-15 games or so, because to be frank I don't much care about media personas etc) then I will want and expect the Board to remove him.

What I believe, personally, to be unfair, is that a number of people, having decided at the time that they would have gone elsewhere for a manager, instead of taking the same decision as I did to wait and see, have decided instead to slag off everything that he does, however trivial, until such time as they are 'proved right'. It hasn't occurred to them possibly that Monk could turn our to be fantastic, and they'll never be proved right.

I know that you want the team to succeed as much as I do, and I don't take exception to anyone commenting on the team, players, or indeed Monk either, provided that it is reasonable (and even if it is not, my opinion is worth precisely the same as their is, no better, no worse). However, I genuinely believe that at the moment, people are so scared of what the future might bring under Monk (because they believe him to be the wrong choice) that they are slagging him off for absolutely everything, whether justified or not. In my mind, that undermines good points that are being made, and just looks like a grudge.

All I will end by saying is this. If we care so much about the team staying up and doing well, don't you think that the people who make decisions care even more? Because they are not just fans, but actually stand to lose millions if it goes wrong, so I don't believe that they would do that knowingly - as Phil said some time ago, whether right or wrong, you have to assume that they are doing what they believe to be best for the club, otherwise they are literally costing themselves an absolute fortune .

It's hard not to agree with most of what you say, always... and I was in the same camp as you, but Saturday has fuelled some bubbling inside fears and it's made me question quite a lot of what's going on the last few months.

I care about his media persona though, as I do about how he comes across to a squad of pampered, very rich, Premier League players.

He's lining himself up for a big fall with the way he's coming across in my opinion.

“A lot of people will be expecting me to fail, expecting me not to do well because of all the things that have been talked about"

There is nothing better than when someone doubts you. I thrive off that — I love it. It was the same when we came through the leagues, people would say: ‘He’s not going to be able to play in the next league.’

Monk talked about putting “a bit of the Swansea way back into things”, and those words, as well as the meaning behind them, have since taken on greater significance.

“You now see it on the wall at the top of the stairs at the training ground — ‘The Swansea City Way’ — and that’s my vision of what Swansea City should be as a group of players. The players see that every single day,” Monk says. “But I don’t just say it, I show them when I’m working. What you give to them football-wise is the most important part, but it’s the whole package: what it means to play for this club, the pride it should give you, the togetherness — fighting for the man next to you — and on top of all that bringing a style and a way of playing football.

Big words there....

But this is real arrogance from someone without a real CV.

“I’m already starting to put that into place. If I didn’t have a plan, I’d struggle. I’ve seen some managers go day-to-day not knowing what the vision is for a month’s or a week’s time. It doesn’t work. Players see through that. If they see you working towards something, they’re more likely to come with you if they believe in it. So that’s the thought process behind it. And if it takes me this season or 10 years to get it, that’s what I want.”

What's his plan do you think? Is he going to get the academy and upwards playing 442 and shoehorning players into teams just to fit them in at the cost of cohesion and shape?

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:27 - Aug 11 with 1543 viewslondonlisa2001

A genuine question for T2C etc.

If, as we all hope, after 10-15 games it is going well and we are sitting relatively pretty in the table etc and playing well, what will you say then? Will you admit that the Board got it right or will you still insist that they got it wrong?
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:32 - Aug 11 with 1521 viewsApeShit

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:11 - Aug 11 by AngelRangelQS

I can't think of many managers off the top of my head who've managed in the prem with absolutely zero management or coaching experience whatsoever... Unless I'm being forgetful

Chris Coleman springs to mind as one
[Post edited 11 Aug 2014 19:12]

According to Wikipedia Coleman did do a few months on the coaching staff at Fulham before taking over?
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:34 - Aug 11 with 1514 viewslondonlisa2001

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:27 - Aug 11 by _

It's hard not to agree with most of what you say, always... and I was in the same camp as you, but Saturday has fuelled some bubbling inside fears and it's made me question quite a lot of what's going on the last few months.

I care about his media persona though, as I do about how he comes across to a squad of pampered, very rich, Premier League players.

He's lining himself up for a big fall with the way he's coming across in my opinion.

“A lot of people will be expecting me to fail, expecting me not to do well because of all the things that have been talked about"

There is nothing better than when someone doubts you. I thrive off that — I love it. It was the same when we came through the leagues, people would say: ‘He’s not going to be able to play in the next league.’

Monk talked about putting “a bit of the Swansea way back into things”, and those words, as well as the meaning behind them, have since taken on greater significance.

“You now see it on the wall at the top of the stairs at the training ground — ‘The Swansea City Way’ — and that’s my vision of what Swansea City should be as a group of players. The players see that every single day,” Monk says. “But I don’t just say it, I show them when I’m working. What you give to them football-wise is the most important part, but it’s the whole package: what it means to play for this club, the pride it should give you, the togetherness — fighting for the man next to you — and on top of all that bringing a style and a way of playing football.

Big words there....

But this is real arrogance from someone without a real CV.

“I’m already starting to put that into place. If I didn’t have a plan, I’d struggle. I’ve seen some managers go day-to-day not knowing what the vision is for a month’s or a week’s time. It doesn’t work. Players see through that. If they see you working towards something, they’re more likely to come with you if they believe in it. So that’s the thought process behind it. And if it takes me this season or 10 years to get it, that’s what I want.”

What's his plan do you think? Is he going to get the academy and upwards playing 442 and shoehorning players into teams just to fit them in at the cost of cohesion and shape?

well I honestly don't think him to be particularly arrogant - in fact, I believe him to come across as less arrogant than Laudrup (who at least had justification for his arrogance, albeit on the back of his playing career rather than his managerial career) and certainly miles less arrogant than Brendan (who was phenomenally arrogant in my opinion).

I certainly hope that we are not going to shoe horn anyone into 4 4 2 - as I have said, I don't believe we have the players for it, and if we use the diamond (which makes a bit more sense) we definitely need a strong defensive midfielder (which we don't have without Leon) and also a much, much faster right back than Rangel.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:35 - Aug 11 with 1506 viewsperchrockjack

Reason you re on here is to act the site hard man, one who is so immersed in himself it's pitiful to watch.
Yesterday you too the piss out of Lorraine which shows what an individual you are. Today, it's Lisa whom you re analysing.

You re getting too older by the day so grad some humility

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:39 - Aug 11 with 1484 viewsA_Fans_Dad

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:26 - Aug 11 by ApeShit

I have no idea what tangent you have gone off on.

Try reading it again.

Lisa said "but neither Brendan nor Laudrup had any experience managing in the premier league before with us either?
"
You said "What are you talking about? "
Lisa's statement was correct.
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:39 - Aug 11 with 1484 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:27 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

If, as we all hope, after 10-15 games it is going well and we are sitting relatively pretty in the table etc and playing well, what will you say then? Will you admit that the Board got it right or will you still insist that they got it wrong?

I will take every game as it comes and make a fair assessment on what I'm seeing in front of me and how our players are reacting to our formations, squad selections, results etc. If we're organised, scoring goals, defending well, have a pattern and shape to us and players clearly understanding their roles; i will without a shadow of doubt re-assess my mild vitriol right now. Your hopes after 10-15 games are mine too, Lisa...

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:45 - Aug 11 with 1459 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:35 - Aug 11 by perchrockjack

Reason you re on here is to act the site hard man, one who is so immersed in himself it's pitiful to watch.
Yesterday you too the piss out of Lorraine which shows what an individual you are. Today, it's Lisa whom you re analysing.

You re getting too older by the day so grad some humility

Hello Sailor x

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:47 - Aug 11 with 1455 viewslondonlisa2001

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:39 - Aug 11 by _

I will take every game as it comes and make a fair assessment on what I'm seeing in front of me and how our players are reacting to our formations, squad selections, results etc. If we're organised, scoring goals, defending well, have a pattern and shape to us and players clearly understanding their roles; i will without a shadow of doubt re-assess my mild vitriol right now. Your hopes after 10-15 games are mine too, Lisa...

I know that they are which is why I understand the frustration with Saturday - I spent an hour and a half shouting at the screen (apart from the 2 mins it took them to score).
WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 20:00 - Aug 11 with 1412 viewsDarran

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:27 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

Of course he won't he can't wait for them to fail because he's got an agenda that stems from a couple of days after we played a game at the City Ground,Nottingham a few years ago.
I'm not going to say anymore about it but several of the directors have spoken to me about it,they piss themselves laughing at the pitiful tw*t down there and that's a FACT.

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 20:01 - Aug 11 with 1407 viewsDarran

I can also predict what the vile c^nt is going to say next.

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 20:03 - Aug 11 with 1400 views_

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 19:47 - Aug 11 by londonlisa2001

I know that they are which is why I understand the frustration with Saturday - I spent an hour and a half shouting at the screen (apart from the 2 mins it took them to score).

Against Reading 2013:

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Ashley Williams (capt), Jordi Amat, Ben Davies (Neil Taylor, 72), Leon Britton (Jose Canas, 62), Jonjo Shelvey (Jonathan de Guzman, 62), Michu (Alejandro Pozuelo, 65), Pablo Hernandez (Nathan Dyer, 62), Wayne Routledge, Wilfried Bony.

Subs : Gerhard Tremmel, Jazz Richards, Garry Monk, Ki Sung-Yueng, Roland Lamah, Neil Taylor, Jose Canas, Jonathan de Guzman, Alejandro Pozuelo, Nathan Dyer

Against Villareal 2014:

SWANS:Lukasz Fabianski, Angel Rangel, Kyle Bartley (Jordi Amat, 60), Ashley Williams (capt), Neil Taylor, Ki Sung-Yueng, Jonjo Shelvey, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Jefferson Montero, Bafetimbi Gomis, Wilfried Bony (Alex Bray, 83).

SUBS: Gerhard Tremmel, Jazz Richards, Dwight Tiendalli, Stephen Kingsley, Josh Sheehan, Adam King, Jordi Amat, Alex Bray

I know we've got a few injuries and more than in 2013 but look at the difference in the subs bench...

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 20:08 - Aug 11 with 1381 viewslondonlisa2001

WTF has Jenkins (the Board) done? on 20:03 - Aug 11 by _

Against Reading 2013:

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Ashley Williams (capt), Jordi Amat, Ben Davies (Neil Taylor, 72), Leon Britton (Jose Canas, 62), Jonjo Shelvey (Jonathan de Guzman, 62), Michu (Alejandro Pozuelo, 65), Pablo Hernandez (Nathan Dyer, 62), Wayne Routledge, Wilfried Bony.

Subs : Gerhard Tremmel, Jazz Richards, Garry Monk, Ki Sung-Yueng, Roland Lamah, Neil Taylor, Jose Canas, Jonathan de Guzman, Alejandro Pozuelo, Nathan Dyer

Against Villareal 2014:

SWANS:Lukasz Fabianski, Angel Rangel, Kyle Bartley (Jordi Amat, 60), Ashley Williams (capt), Neil Taylor, Ki Sung-Yueng, Jonjo Shelvey, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Jefferson Montero, Bafetimbi Gomis, Wilfried Bony (Alex Bray, 83).

SUBS: Gerhard Tremmel, Jazz Richards, Dwight Tiendalli, Stephen Kingsley, Josh Sheehan, Adam King, Jordi Amat, Alex Bray

I know we've got a few injuries and more than in 2013 but look at the difference in the subs bench...

yes I know which is why as I said we need a DM, a CB and a right back (plus as I said, less important but I would like to see a wide man) plus we've Leon, Routs, Dyer, Emnes and Fulton to come in as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024