Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit 13:44 - Aug 29 with 18029 views442Dale

Small piece in today's programme about it. Full details on OS on Tuesday.

Great news.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 14:19 - Sep 1 with 3999 viewsaleanddale

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 00:16 - Aug 31 by dingdangblue

Would love this

Not as clued up as 442 obviously is but anything resembling this would look great and I sure would be a big seller.

Summat different from the norm for the away kit though......
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 14:36 - Sep 1 with 3947 viewsTVOS1907

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 14:19 - Sep 1 by aleanddale

Not as clued up as 442 obviously is but anything resembling this would look great and I sure would be a big seller.

Summat different from the norm for the away kit though......

Something that's been mused by the older fans (TS?) is a green and yellow striped shirt, that was Dale's away shirt at the end of the 1970s and then occasionally appeared in the early-1980s.

It had a black collar and cuffs and was worn with black shorts and socks.

I'm not advocating this kit as a definite for one minute (although I think it would be ace and we would sell lots of them, which is relevant), but it would be relatively unique and avoid all* kit clashes.

* until 442 comes up with one
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 14:38]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 15:12 - Sep 1 with 3874 viewsjimmysbaldhead

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 00:16 - Aug 31 by dingdangblue

Would love this

Just this with a Dale badge and our sponsor please. Ace
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 16:10 - Sep 1 with 3773 viewsdingdangblue

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 15:12 - Sep 1 by jimmysbaldhead

Just this with a Dale badge and our sponsor please. Ace

It would be superb, I posted this Atalanta kit initially when it was announced Errea were supplying - but it had already been announced they were going Blue/white. The fact that they have a template for this kit (albeit a few years ago) must be a huge plus point. It would be a fantastic kit .

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 16:13 - Sep 1 with 3769 viewsaleanddale

Think we are all agreed we like the broad blue and black stripe.

Just where to put the badge and what shorts and socks look best.
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 16:30 - Sep 1 with 3753 viewsTVOS1907

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 16:13 - Sep 1 by aleanddale

Think we are all agreed we like the broad blue and black stripe.

Just where to put the badge and what shorts and socks look best.

On the contrary.

While blue and black stripes are good and unique, there's nothing to say the next shirt HAS to be striped.

Last season's wasn't and neither were those in 2010/11 and 2011/12.

The beauty of having unique colours without a relevant historical precedent is that they can be mixed and matched in many different ways, whereas clubs like Newcastle and Sunderland tend to go with what they've always had.

However, whether the shirts are striped or not, the inclusion of black will again be a winner.

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 16:52 - Sep 1 with 3718 views442Dale

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 14:36 - Sep 1 by TVOS1907

Something that's been mused by the older fans (TS?) is a green and yellow striped shirt, that was Dale's away shirt at the end of the 1970s and then occasionally appeared in the early-1980s.

It had a black collar and cuffs and was worn with black shorts and socks.

I'm not advocating this kit as a definite for one minute (although I think it would be ace and we would sell lots of them, which is relevant), but it would be relatively unique and avoid all* kit clashes.

* until 442 comes up with one
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 14:38]

Shrewsbury. However I'd advocate keeping the white shirt from this season as a third kit.

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 17:09 - Sep 1 with 3675 viewszxcvbnm

A good idea this. At least it'd be a fair vote.

As for the design posted above, personally I don't like it stripes are too thick.

Prefer more of a club Brugge style

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Login to get fewer ads

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 18:19 - Sep 1 with 3613 views442Dale

It's great that the club are looking at involving supporters properly in the process and while you'll never please everyone, you can certainly ensure that the kits produced will tick most boxes and hopefully sell well.

The Errea kit above: too dark, too much black. The OS article makes an excellent point, the colours to be used are blue, black & white. Nor should we forget that the traditional colour should always be prominent, ie. a shirt where blue is dominated by black. All personal opinion of course, but the Errea shirt may have a body which is predominantly blue, but the central stripe flanked by black sleeves distracts too much. The absence of white trim, as in the Brugge shirt adds to that overall dark effect.

Looking at three kits we've had in the past helps to illustrate where small oversights turn a potentially great kit into a good one and how a shirt can represent the club effectively.

08/09: standard Nike template, a really excellent shirt though which benefits from the white collar breaking up the blue & black. It was crucial that this shirt had a plain blue rather than black panel on the back, if it had been the other way round you start to shift away from Rochdale a little bit. That's something to consider should we return to stripes, though there's no reason for the panel when using white numbers (though it actually looked ok on this shirt).
This strip is let down by the lack of black on the shorts and socks, as if they've just been added as an afterthought. The socks are particularly jarring as the kit symmetry is lost completely.

-------

09/10: this gets the blue/black ratio spot on with the shirt. I'm a big fan of plain blue sleeves when we use sleeves. White shorts are ok with just blue trim as long as the socks mirror the shirt. Marks deducted for the lack of white trim on the shirt though, plus it was a poor collar.

-------

10/11: an illustration of why we don't have to go or stripes, yet still retain the club's identity. The idea behind this shirt was good even if the end result wasn't spectacular. Is an occasion where black sleeves can work as the rest of the shirt attracts all the attention. The white collar and black pinstripes are reversed to spectacular effect in the socks, again illustrating how easy it is to overlook the details.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 18:20]

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 18:34 - Sep 1 with 3587 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 18:19 - Sep 1 by 442Dale

It's great that the club are looking at involving supporters properly in the process and while you'll never please everyone, you can certainly ensure that the kits produced will tick most boxes and hopefully sell well.

The Errea kit above: too dark, too much black. The OS article makes an excellent point, the colours to be used are blue, black & white. Nor should we forget that the traditional colour should always be prominent, ie. a shirt where blue is dominated by black. All personal opinion of course, but the Errea shirt may have a body which is predominantly blue, but the central stripe flanked by black sleeves distracts too much. The absence of white trim, as in the Brugge shirt adds to that overall dark effect.

Looking at three kits we've had in the past helps to illustrate where small oversights turn a potentially great kit into a good one and how a shirt can represent the club effectively.

08/09: standard Nike template, a really excellent shirt though which benefits from the white collar breaking up the blue & black. It was crucial that this shirt had a plain blue rather than black panel on the back, if it had been the other way round you start to shift away from Rochdale a little bit. That's something to consider should we return to stripes, though there's no reason for the panel when using white numbers (though it actually looked ok on this shirt).
This strip is let down by the lack of black on the shorts and socks, as if they've just been added as an afterthought. The socks are particularly jarring as the kit symmetry is lost completely.

-------

09/10: this gets the blue/black ratio spot on with the shirt. I'm a big fan of plain blue sleeves when we use sleeves. White shorts are ok with just blue trim as long as the socks mirror the shirt. Marks deducted for the lack of white trim on the shirt though, plus it was a poor collar.

-------

10/11: an illustration of why we don't have to go or stripes, yet still retain the club's identity. The idea behind this shirt was good even if the end result wasn't spectacular. Is an occasion where black sleeves can work as the rest of the shirt attracts all the attention. The white collar and black pinstripes are reversed to spectacular effect in the socks, again illustrating how easy it is to overlook the details.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 18:20]

Too many cooks spoil the broth. Regarding the Supporters involvement i think this will work better if we don't try to get too many supporters involved in the design process, it leads to confusion.

It's pretty common knowledge we have a couple of fans who are really clued up when it comes to what works and what doesn't, personally i don't have a bloody clue. I would like to see them given the task if they would be willing to accept it.
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 18:44 - Sep 1 with 3560 views442Dale

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 18:34 - Sep 1 by TalkingSutty

Too many cooks spoil the broth. Regarding the Supporters involvement i think this will work better if we don't try to get too many supporters involved in the design process, it leads to confusion.

It's pretty common knowledge we have a couple of fans who are really clued up when it comes to what works and what doesn't, personally i don't have a bloody clue. I would like to see them given the task if they would be willing to accept it.

I think asking the whole fanbase for designs and ideas is great. At that point those involved in the choices to get it down six choices should be able to get the specifics right. It's a really good process that the club have come up with because, once the fans then vote for their favourite three from six, it removes the issue of when we were provided with three poor choices for 13/14.

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 18:49 - Sep 1 with 3548 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 18:44 - Sep 1 by 442Dale

I think asking the whole fanbase for designs and ideas is great. At that point those involved in the choices to get it down six choices should be able to get the specifics right. It's a really good process that the club have come up with because, once the fans then vote for their favourite three from six, it removes the issue of when we were provided with three poor choices for 13/14.

True. I would imagine one of the hardest things is incorporating the red sponsors logo into the kit design. There's an old saying 'Red and Green must not be seen unless upon a fool' .

I really loved that Yellow and Green striped Bukta kit, it gave the illusion of us actually looking like a half decent Football Team, in reality we were very poor. Barnsley should remember it we beat them 3-0 at Oakwell wearing that kit!!
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 18:56]
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 20:08 - Sep 8 with 3242 viewsColDale

Just back from a Trust meeting at the club tonight, and this was discussed.

As things currently stand, there has been a disappointing number of entries. Won't say the exact number, but on the basis of the entries so far, it would be difficult to convince the club in the future that supporters want to be involved in the kit design process, as (so far) the evidence points to the contrary.

The deadline for doing this is next Friday, and there is genuine desire at the club to see supporters get their entries in (and make sure you stick to the guidelines) so if you fancy getting involved, want to see a return to blue and black stripes, want to see us play in blue / white / black lightening bolts, are a fundamental believer in supporter kit design or just want something to keep your kids busy with the felt tips for half an hour, then get involved.

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17-kit-design-competition-2661889
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 20:09 - Sep 8 with 3232 viewsColDale

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/documents/kitdesign-2016-17223-2659728.pdf
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 20:41 - Sep 8 with 3174 views442Dale

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 20:08 - Sep 8 by ColDale

As things currently stand, there has been a disappointing number of entries. Won't say the exact number, but on the basis of the entries so far, it would be difficult to convince the club in the future that supporters want to be involved in the kit design process, as (so far) the evidence points to the contrary.

The deadline for doing this is next Friday, and there is genuine desire at the club to see supporters get their entries in (and make sure you stick to the guidelines) so if you fancy getting involved, want to see a return to blue and black stripes, want to see us play in blue / white / black lightening bolts, are a fundamental believer in supporter kit design or just want something to keep your kids busy with the felt tips for half an hour, then get involved.

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17-kit-design-competition-2661889

Hopefully a few will be sent in in the remaining ten days, but as long as there are enough kits sent in to carry out the process then it's worked, ie. six are required for supporters to vote on. From a couple that I've seen already there are definitely designs there that would meet with fan approval and justify their involvement.

Is Nerazzuri still reading these pages?

Everyone else, get something sent in.

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 21:11 - Sep 8 with 3060 viewsChaffRAFC

To be honest, I've only seen the one article on it and nothing since so maybe that's why there have only been a few entries.

Stick it on the official site, stick it on the Trust site, stick it on here, stick it on the goldbond sheets, get the players retweeting it or sticking it on their instagram pages, get it plastered all over social media.

Done one myself that i'll be putting in this week.

Don't sit there without advertising it and complain that the entries have been low in numbers.

Unless that's the plan of course!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 21:42 - Sep 8 with 3011 viewsTVOS1907

Is 'disappointing' your word, Col?

I really think the club need to think about extending the deadline until we've played a home game.

Get it publicised in the shop and around the ground when we Scunthorpe; send a couple of images of those produced so far to me to be published in the Scunthorpe TVOS; reach out to those who won't read the o/s or follow social media; and so on.

The whole concept of involving the fans is a great idea and the fact some designs (6, according to the o/s) have already been sent in after only one week should be viewed as a positive start rather than flimsy evidence that the fans aren't interested.

And we've got four home games coming up. I know there are manufacturers deadlines and so on, but more needs to be made of having captive audiences at Spotland in that two-and-a-half week period.

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 21:51 - Sep 8 with 2982 viewsColDale

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 21:42 - Sep 8 by TVOS1907

Is 'disappointing' your word, Col?

I really think the club need to think about extending the deadline until we've played a home game.

Get it publicised in the shop and around the ground when we Scunthorpe; send a couple of images of those produced so far to me to be published in the Scunthorpe TVOS; reach out to those who won't read the o/s or follow social media; and so on.

The whole concept of involving the fans is a great idea and the fact some designs (6, according to the o/s) have already been sent in after only one week should be viewed as a positive start rather than flimsy evidence that the fans aren't interested.

And we've got four home games coming up. I know there are manufacturers deadlines and so on, but more needs to be made of having captive audiences at Spotland in that two-and-a-half week period.

it was me who described it as disappointing. Whilst obviously there have been others more vocal than me on this issue, it's something I've believed fans should be involved in. I'm of the opinion that with just a handful of entries, the club could decide that there isn't the interest in doing this when I genuinely think there is. Am hoping we can kick start a few more entries. And that includes my own.
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 21:58 - Sep 8 with 2958 viewsTVOS1907

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 21:51 - Sep 8 by ColDale

it was me who described it as disappointing. Whilst obviously there have been others more vocal than me on this issue, it's something I've believed fans should be involved in. I'm of the opinion that with just a handful of entries, the club could decide that there isn't the interest in doing this when I genuinely think there is. Am hoping we can kick start a few more entries. And that includes my own.

Fair enough.

There's 11 days to go, though, and I still believe there should be something done at a home game to prompt the last minute entries.

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 22:01 - Sep 8 with 2948 views_dezzy

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 20:09 - Sep 8 by ColDale

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/documents/kitdesign-2016-17223-2659728.pdf

Looks a bit like Real Madrid that Col

KHBA

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 22:14 - Sep 8 with 2921 viewsTalkingSutty

The amount of entries submitted shouldnt be the critea the club use to decide if supporters should have an involvement in the design of kits. They probably have potentially 2000 customers to target so wouldnt it be common sense to involve their customers anyway? Its just a arrogant attitude towards the supporters to feel disappointed or are they just paying lip service? a bit like producing a kit without consulting supporters, like this seasons poor effort, now thats disappointing.

We dont need loads of different designs, if we get a dozen decent ideas from supporters who know their way around designing a decent kit then that will do. I havent submitted a design because i know of others who are more capable of me regarding that subject and i trust them to come up with better ideas, why muddy the waters!!
Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 23:05 - Sep 8 with 2848 viewsD_Alien

If I were the sort of fan who turned up for games but didn't bother much with social or other media - and that must be a pretty significant proportion of the 2000+ who attend regularly - I wouldn't have a clue the club were interested in fan involvement in kit design.

So, the club can't claim that fans aren't interested, only that those who know about the scheme aren't. I'm not into kit design at all, but there's enough people who frequent this board who make a fair bit of noise about it, especially when the club just stick summat on the shelves they don't like. I'd honestly have expected about 15-20 entries, and that may well be the total once the dust settles. If not, I wouldn't feel disappointed, but I'd be thinking people should just stfu in future.

[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 23:10]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 23:18 - Sep 8 with 2819 views442Dale

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 23:05 - Sep 8 by D_Alien

If I were the sort of fan who turned up for games but didn't bother much with social or other media - and that must be a pretty significant proportion of the 2000+ who attend regularly - I wouldn't have a clue the club were interested in fan involvement in kit design.

So, the club can't claim that fans aren't interested, only that those who know about the scheme aren't. I'm not into kit design at all, but there's enough people who frequent this board who make a fair bit of noise about it, especially when the club just stick summat on the shelves they don't like. I'd honestly have expected about 15-20 entries, and that may well be the total once the dust settles. If not, I wouldn't feel disappointed, but I'd be thinking people should just stfu in future.

[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 23:10]

I agree that those who are genuinely interested in kit design should have a go, however there is a bigger group who know what they like and will comment accordingly but wouldn't really know until they see it.

The thing about football shirts is it is often the details that count and some fans only notice them subliminally. I'd be tempted to go on for hours but I'd only be entertaining myself.

Anyway, I know of a couple of people who work in schools who are going to try and get kids to have a go. Some of the best kit ideas can one from something like that.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 23:22]

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 00:27 - Sep 9 with 2762 viewsD_Alien

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 23:18 - Sep 8 by 442Dale

I agree that those who are genuinely interested in kit design should have a go, however there is a bigger group who know what they like and will comment accordingly but wouldn't really know until they see it.

The thing about football shirts is it is often the details that count and some fans only notice them subliminally. I'd be tempted to go on for hours but I'd only be entertaining myself.

Anyway, I know of a couple of people who work in schools who are going to try and get kids to have a go. Some of the best kit ideas can one from something like that.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2015 23:22]

That last idea is brilliant - and what a way to get kids interested in their local football team.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 01:43 - Sep 9 with 2712 viewsNigeriamark

Fans given a chance to design next season's kit on 21:51 - Sep 8 by ColDale

Is there an APP that lets you draw / colour in a shirt template. You can then also draw on your preferred area for the logo as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024